Computer Related questions Volume 18 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 19 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23626

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 18. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please \"Reply to\" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it\'s own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Broadband availability - Brill {P}
I know you can discover online if a postcode area is already broadband enabled, but what I would like to know is whether there is somewhere which can tell me when an area may become enabled in the future (rough date). I'm relocating, and although I can see where broadband/adsl is available, I don't want to dismiss a village which may be about to go live in the near future.

Thanks,
Stu
Broadband availability - Kuang
BT used to have a section on their website of areas that were approaching the threshold above which broadband became viable, but I can't remember where to find it - their customer services team or FAQs should have the answer, but I'm not sure about other providers. Theoretically you'd just need to find a postcode for that area and key it in.
Broadband availability - Civic8
I think you will find www.bt.com can help it does say what areas are B/B enabled.if not may give a list and also ask if you want it.as I recall from a mate they ask you if you want it.and to put your name down.with enough names it is I think put online/enabled.I think if you ask.they will tell you
--
Was mech1
Broadband availability - IanT
This site will tell you whether broadband is currently available or the date when it is expected to become available:

www.btconnect.com
Click on tab "Products & Services"
Enter a phone number under "Check Availability"

{It actually does some form of real-time line test on the entered number, and can sometimes can give a bit more information}

Ian
Broadband availability - IanT
Just reread your original post, Brill. Since you don't live there yet, you haven't got a phone number to enter.

The btconnect site works with anybody's number - it doesn't have to be yours. So you could use the local dentist's number, the pub, or whatever, to check the broadband status.

Ian
Broadband availability - Nsar
Don't take it as gospel though, I had broadband for about 15 months with BT but according to their site my line still won't support it.
Broadband availability - Brill {P}
Thanks all, the website (as far as I can see) shows whether an exchange is enabled, and you can enquire about a particular phone number too (which I did...the local darden designer). What it doesn't seem to say is if they have a date planned for a certain exchange to be upgraded (in my case 'Holnest' exchange, in Dorset).

Looks like I'll have to give BT a call.

I certainly couldn't buy the property without broadband, as I run my business from home (currently use ADSL)...are there alternatives, until broadband arrives there? Someone mentioned Kilostream (never heard of it).
Broadband availability - Altea Ego
Yes you can use kilostream, but the cost is enormous compared to broadband. There are satelite broadband services, but the uplink speed is limited by phone line, and there are propogation delays.
Holnest - ADSL

Exchange Name: Holnest
BT Exchange Code: WWHOLN (Region: South West)
Last Update: Thursday, 13 May 2004
State: 'Ready For Service' date announced: 24th November 2004
Trigger Point: 150
Registrations: 150 (100%)
I know you can discover online if a postcode area is
already broadband enabled, but what I would like to know is
whether there is somewhere which can tell me when an area
may become enabled in the future (rough date). I'm relocating, and
although I can see where broadband/adsl is available, I don't want
to dismiss a village which may be about to go live
in the near future.

Stu

here you go - find it by postcode or exchange name here

www.adslguide.org/availability/btprereg.asp?order=...g
Broadband availability - Welliesorter
The official BT site for this sort of thing is at www.bt.com/broadband . As well as having an availability checker, it provides links to all the ADSL service providers, not just BT's own.

As far as I know, the availability checkers search a database for the most recent line test result. They don't do it in real time.

Broadband availability - hootie
Hi, not been here for a while, but reading this prompted me to put my own experience incase it's of use for anyone else to know.

We bought a new house 3 years ago, it's about a mile outside of a village. It took days beyond the date promised to get the phone line installed.
On getting a line found out we had been put on a neighbouring exchange as our own was 'full'. Complaints about the slow speed of the internet (discovered after purchasing a new computer) lead to the information that our line had a DACS box on it (think that's the term)

Consequently if our exchange becomes Broadband enabled, we wont be eligble on two counts
1. geographically too far from the exchange (although distances which will support BB are becoming greater I believe)
2. line quality is too poor anyway

Lucikily have since had a second line put in - after quite a fight to get it, and this one is 'full power' - still slow compared to BB, but better than we thought we'd achieve. As a domestic user, it doesn't really matter too much, being able to use the net and a phone at the same time is more important than speed.

Also learned that it is possible to complain about a DACS box slowing down your line (if you know you have one that is!) and possibly insist upon its removal.

The point being - if Broadband's essential, there's more to check out than just whether the exchange will provide it.

HTH
Regards Hootie
Broadband availability - harry m
you can check if your on a dacs just look to see what speed you connect at if it's around the 20-24 mark your on a dacs.oftel have recently ruled that anyone using a modem should reach the dizzy speed of 27k so if you don't mention it to bt and they should remove it.it seems most people get around 40k on a standard line.go for it as a telephone engineer i love taking them out.
Broadband availability - Welliesorter
Another point about a DACS box is that if you ordered broadband it would have to be removed anyway.
as a telephone engineer i love taking them out.

How do you normally do it? If there aren't enough spare pairs don't you just have to pinch a neighbour's and DACS them instead?
Broadband availability - hootie
Good point Welliesorter, I've wondered that myself :)

I'm achieving 37.2 today, is that a reasonable speed then for a non dacs line on dial up?
Well its not a dacs line, you wont usually get above 28k on that. 37.2 is not bad but its not good. an average dial up line is about 42k and a really good one is about 48k.

i would really like to see a dacs at 28k never seen one down this neck of the woods.
who's a clever little sony then,it's something i don't like doing but we get very little choice if we run out of spares.i think if it gets to the stage of no pairs and broadband is reqd bt will not supply it, it's in the very very small print so i have been told.
Windows Messenger or Yahoo chat "popups" - smokie
My kids use these, so does a friend's kids.

Each of these computers has a window open regularly when browsing to do with gaming. It is a real irritant (and explains why my kids have their own computers to wreck!).

They use pop-up stoppers but still these things appear. How can I stop them?
Windows Messenger or Yahoo chat "popups" - Mark (RLBS)
Block ActiveX
Windows Messenger or Yahoo chat "popups" - Stuartli
If you mean Windows Messenger Service then the Stop The Messenger utility will stop it or, if you have AdAware6, download the IE-Messenger plug-in from www.lavasoft.de and Block/Unblock as necessary.

Another, quicker method is Start>Run>key in services.msc amd click OK. A panel will appear listing various services on the right hand side.

Scroll down until you reach Messenger service. Select it, right click and click on Properties. Under StartupType, select Manual or Disabled, click Stop, click Apply and finally the OK button.

You won't receive legitimate net send or alerter messages any more but this feature is of little use to most people any way.
...but those solutions mostly prevent the product working, which isn't the intention....

I'm not sure which product is causing the problem, the Yahoo or MS one, but I'm sure it's one of them!

Good idea to put it on manual start though (though I will need to remove it from startup instead in 98, not services.msc). Then I can do some more diagnosis...
Windows Messenger or Yahoo chat "popups" - Dalglish
smokie -

bear in mind that windows messenger service is not the same as the "msn/yahoo/aol instant messenger".

there are tools to protect/control the latter available in zonealarm-instant-message-security or norton-av-2004 or mcafee-viruscan-8.0

as for the former, windows-updates should have cured the windows messenger problem.
Windows Messenger or Yahoo chat "popups" - Dalglish
smokie:

postscript - i just did a search for "messenger spam" on
search.msn.com/
which is a redesigned clean engine (now much better than google in my opinion).

three links worth looking up

www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-0...x

www.ultratech-llc.com/BrainWave/TechDocs/Messenger...l

www.spywareguide.com/txt_messengerspam.html
Thanks Dalglish. I hadn't yet researched this myself and you've probably saved me the bother! Next time I can access one of the computers I'll give it a bit of a going over with this. I know that they are all up to date with Windowsupdate and standard Norton AV, and I put AdAware on one of them the other night. I don't *think* the pop ups are threatening, just a nuisance

Thanks again
Windows Messenger or Yahoo chat "popups" - Stuartli
Sorry, it's a while since I used Windows 98 and 98SE as I now have XP Pro.

"Windows Messenger Service" is something of a misnomer and not what most people seem to think it represents - unfortunately the spammers use it for their own unwanted intentions.

Have you thought of using the instant messenger services such as ICQ as, properly configured, they are very useful?

If you have youngsters using a range of instant messenger facilities you can ensure they can "talk" to each other by installing Trillian on each system - it's free, encrypted and works with all the major messenger services.
Emails with a mind of their own - Hugo {P}
I have been getting a handful of "Mail Returned" e mails.

The emails listed are not on my address book. I suspect there is a virus that is using my computer to send spam, though it does not seem to affect it in any other way.

I have Trend Micro PC Cillen virus checker that I update every few days and this has picked nothing up.

Any advice please?

Hugo
Emails with a mind of their own - Adam {P}
Hi Hugo,
Have they been along the lines of "Delivery Status Failure"? If so, chances are they are viruses. What do you use to read them? I use Outlook Express (I know I know) and get at least 2 of these a day. The attachments are always blocked anyway so as long as you don't open them you're fine.

Also, more than likely it won't be anything wrong with your computer. If you're the one receiving the viruses then it's someone else.

Hope this eases your mind a little.

Must dash, just received an email from "HackersRUs" - oh look - "Delivery Status Failure" - I wonder what this attachement is....

Cheers

Adam
Emails with a mind of their own - Kuang
Most current viruses 'spoof' their sender address - that is, they infect a machine, pick two addresses from the address book, and send themselves to one, purportedly from the other. This effectively covers up the true location of the virus - years ago you could just get in touch with the sender and suggest they check over their machine.

What's most likely happening is that somebody else has a virus on their machine and it's picked up your name from their address book to use as a sender - this would mean that any responses would actually come back to you even though you didn't send them. I wouldn't worry too much, but just keep up with the vigilance :)
Emails with a mind of their own - Hugo {P}
Thanks for the above responses.

So what you're saying Kuang, is that the virus is sending e mails from someone else's computer, and tagging my e mail address as a sender.

Thanks - makes sense.

Hugo
Internet Explorer can't repair - maz64
Hi

Yesterday I thought I had a problem with Internet Explorer, which in fact turned out to be firewall mis-configuration (Explorer had been blocked - doh!).

However, at one point I decided to 'repair' Explorer by going to Add/Remove Programs, as suggested in Windows Help (I'm using XP Pro). However, it wasn't in the list (not under 'Explorer', or 'Microsoft ...', or anywhere else that I could see). Anyone know why?

Cheers
John
Internet Explorer can't repair - Stuartli
IE6 is installed by default in XP - this Microsoft link will explain your "problem":

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q...7
Internet Explorer can't repair - maz64
Great - thanks.
John
Internet Explorer can't repair - Dalglish
or even
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;3...8
"How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP"

but do note the last paragraph!

"By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. ....
and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.
!!!
Internet Explorer is not listed in Add/Remove Programs in my case (XP Pro), only one or two HotFixes.
Internet Explorer can't repair - Altea Ego
Internet Explorer is not listed in Add/Remove Programs in my case
(XP Pro), only one or two HotFixes.

Control panel/add or remove programes/add or remove windows components
Always had IE ticked in Add/Remove Windows Components.....:-)
mozilla firefox - Civic8
How good is it apart from it cant be attacked from viruses.Am thinking of using it.But is it as easy to use as IE.? thanks for any replies.
--
Was mech1
mozilla firefox - frostbite
Certainly as easy to use as IE and not too dissimilar in appearance really. Built in download manager and multiple window facility do it for me along with a very effective popup stopper.
mozilla firefox - smokie
Been using it for some months now following recommendations here and it has some very nice features. Functionality is better than IE. But some pages I load don't work properly in Firefox (particularly certan links) so although it is now my default browser, I still use IE for those pages.
mozilla firefox - John R @ Work {P}
Steve,
I agree with what Smokie & Frostbite have said about Firefox. It is upto Ver 0.9.1 (4.7mb download) and is constantly being improved. It has loads of 3rd party extensions (functionality add-ons) and themes (look & feel) to play with.

It's not perfect (what software is?) but I also have it as my default browser now... Recommended.

John R
mozilla firefox - Baskerville
How good is it apart from it cant be attacked from
viruses.

Don't get too carried away; no software is invulnerable. Firefox makes it much more difficult to compromise your machine through the browser (it's not knitted into the Windows system like IE for one thing--and remember Microsoft argued in the anti-trust hearings that such integration was essential) but it's not impossible in the future so care is still needed. And of course as long as IE is part of Windows a malicious script can invoke IE to do its dirty work, even if it's not the default browser.

Mostly Firefox is just a much better browser and complies with the agreed standards, unlike IE, which tries to impose Microsoft's standards on everyone. The number of IE-only sites was quite considerable a year ago, but has dropped almost to nothing in my experience. If you try it for a month IE6 will look and feel archaic when you go back to it. Features I like best are tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, the ad-blocking extension, and "mouse gestures", which I'm just starting to work with.
mozilla firefox - frostbite
Another feature I have noticed is that when you go back to a recent previously viewed page it always updates if the page has changed - very useful if you use the auction sites.

I can't recall IE always doing this.
mozilla firefox - Civic8
Thanks for all the replies.I have downloaded.just a case of installing.
--
Was mech1
CoolWebSearch infection - L'escargot
I hope I'm not counting my chickens prematurely, but (as far as I can see) I've rid my computer of CWS using my anti-spyware software Webroot Spy Sweeper. What appears to have done the trick is keeping the programme permanently open and activating the Tracking Cookie Shield. Previously (in my ignorance) I was using Spy Sweeper with the options in their default mode ~ Tracking Cookie Shield inactive ~ and I was closing the programme after I had carried out a sweep of my computer, following using the internet. Although the programme has a "help" section it obviously left some things unsaid. The main thing is that since changing my technique, I haven't seen hair nor hide of CWS. I say I haven't seen CWS, but technically speaking, carrying out Spy Sweeper sweeps haven't found CWS.

Nevertheless, many thanks to Dalglish for his suggestion to use CWShredder, even though I didn't take his advice. I was a bit wary about following this route just in case it turned to be another of those dodgy downloads that everyone warns you about. (Also, being brutally honest, I was not sure I was competent enough to be able to carry out the unzipping procedure ~ never had to unzip a programme before!)

Incidentally, the reason I chose Spy Sweeper rather than any other anti-spyware software was that it came top of a review by www.TopTenReviews.com

--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
PCI Latency - Thanks - Bromptonaut
Thanks to all who responded to my call for help last week. Turned out my ADSL gateway was throwing a wobbly - power off for two minutes nd re boot taught it who's boss. Still feel a windoze re load imminent though.
PCI Latency - Thanks - Adam {P}
I get that all the time. I tend to leave the router on 24 hours a day so other people can get on t'internet without having to come and ask me. Now and again, BT cycle the IP address so some mornings it won't work. A quick reboot does indeed show it who's boss.

Adam
PCI Latency - Thanks - Altea Ego
Yes your IP address gets "cycled" When you log on you get issued an IP address by a DHCP server. This address is leased to you, and like all leases it has a finite lifetime.

So your lease expires, and your router says (or it should) Hey what the !!!!! gime another one, and you get another address. (sometimes the same one if its still in the pool)

Sometimes the bleating about having no address does not work so a reboot cures it.
Cheers RF - you seem to know what you're on about so I'll ask you seeing as you're here.

I only recently got this router and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. At the minute, there are three computers hooked up; mine, my sister's and my mum's laptop. As you can see, the latter poses a problem; she constantly needs to get the crossover cable and take it wherever she want to use the laptop. Because of this, I've decided to go wireless...sort of.

My question is this. Instead of getting a wireless router and then worrying about converting the whole network, presumably I can buy a wireless receiver and card, plug the receiver into the existing router and the card in the laptop and it should be fine. Would you agree or am I going to need a new router? Should it help, the router is a Netgear DG834.

Thanks in advance

Adam
PCI Latency - Thanks - Altea Ego
Adski

yup you have the fundamentals right. The device you are looking for is a "wireless access point" Plugs into a network port on your current router and acts as - well a wireless access point.
To stick with netgear that will be a ME103 a second hand ME102
or a WG602
Get mummy a wireless card for the laptop (or a usb adaptor) and bingo off you go.

you could stick a wireless card in one of the main PCs and use that as an "ad hoc" connection rather than buy a WAP but you need to fiddle around and bridge the connection and getting the encryption sorted out will be a b*****.

Personally I would sell the old router on ebay and get a new wireless router like the netgear DG834G

For interest I have the SMC Barricade 7804WBRA, wife with wireless card in lap top, me with centrino (built in wireless) lap top, main pc hard wired, small pc built of bits and bobs as print server, and lado has linked an old hub into the main router and runs lan parties upsatirs with his mates. (they team against other players on the net, always tell when the actions on the bandwidth gets eaten)
Thanks RF. I think your idea for the DG834G router is best...certainly sounds easiest. I'll have a look around and keep you apprised.

Cheers

Adam
PCI Latency - Thanks - Stargazer {P}
Adam,
Confirm that the Netgear 834G is a great piece of kit, but read the reviews of the NETGEAR 834 on www.adslguide.org.uk where they find that the 834 is just the 834G without the wireless card. So the setting up should be an exact copy of what you are doing already.

Also make sure you are using the last version of the firmware....early versions tend to lock up if left running for extended periods (several weeks).

I have been using the 834G for several weeks, the DHCP process should be completely transparent. Wireless is great for my work laptop.....take it home, switch it on and I can connect to my work computer system from anywhere in the house or garden.

cheers

StarGazer
Cheers Stargazer,
We bought my mum the laptop for Christmas and she's actually really getting into it. Also, she works at a school and has been offered the use of their wireless network card so that she can take her own laptop in. I'm wondering if that would work with the Netgear DG834G; it would certainly be handy (and cheaper!).

Thanks for you help

Adam
Adam
Static v Allocated I.P. addresses - malteser
The previous subject, (talking about re-booting to re-establish an internet connection). made me wonder how many ISPs used fixed addresses for customers these days.
My ISP, terra.es, started by allocating fixed IPs to ADSL customers, so that is what I have.
Now they are using "floating" addresses and charging extra if one wants the fixed version. Why is this and what are the pros & cons of the two types for an ordinary private user?
Roger in Spain
Static v Allocated I.P. addresses - Altea Ego
There is a finite number of IP addresses available, so most new ISP customers get floating ones - called DHCP, you log on and get issued an IP address from a pool.

Disadvantages of DHCP? well none really. You get hidden behind a series of NAT (network address translator)servers that plug in the links between you and your "temporary" address and the big bad internet world.

The only times you need a fixed IP address are for functions where you need to be a server where you need to be known by your IP addresss and not "resolved" by servers in your path.
Static v Allocated I.P. addresses - smokie
I'm on NTL cable and never turn it off. Although their addresses are dynamic, and have a lease, I always get the same one. Just as well really, as my TiVo web server is behind it...if the address kept changing I'd have to use DynDNS or some other product to keep track of it
Viruses/trojans - help please - HF
Hi, need help please.

Was originally going to post this on behalf of my dad, who has been having big virus problems over the last week - but this evening I have found I have them too.

Normal anti - V scan was performed this evening, but came up with 4 viruses, 2 of which it either healed or sent to the Virus Vault, but the other 2 it says it cannot do anything about, so I am still infected. The 2 which it sorted have the same names as the 2 which it didn't. I'm confused.

The things in question are both showing as Trojan Horses, one is "PSW.Briss.G(or sometimes E)." It's in C\windows\downloaded program files\bridge.DLL. But searching for this on my computer says it doesn't exist. The other is called Revop.C, and the anti-V thing says it is in C:\local settings\temp. Again I cannot find it.

Does anyone know how I might find these things and get rid of them, please? Been trawling through Windows sites and others tonight but to no avail.

Much obliged if anyone can help.

HF
Viruses/trojans - help please - Dynamic Dave
Tsk, tsk,

Obviously you haven't seen my note at the top of the page, Re: posting new messages. I've now moved it to the appropriate place.

DD.
Viruses/trojans - help please - Stuartli
Here's how to remove Revop.c:

www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/t/trojan_win32_revop_c...p

The same website should also enable you to get rid of the others.
Either key in the exact name of the virus into google and use the links that come up to help you remove it or, alteratively, go to www.symantec.com or Norton's website and do the same.

Instructions on how to remove the virus are normally quite easy to follow.

I presume you run Search and Destroy 1.3, Ad-aware6 and, to stop most of them in the first place, SpywareBlaster, and both update and use these utilities on a regular basis?
Viruses/trojans - help please - HF
Sorry DD, no I hadn't seen your message. Will slap myself around the house for a while in contrition once I log off.

Stuart, thanks for your suggestion. I haven't got Ad-aware or the other programmes you mentioned, as one or other of them seemed to be conflicting with other programmes. Will give it another try though, terrified these horses are going to be dialling up on my phoneline all the time.

Thanks
HF
No reason why there should be any conflict between Ad-aware, S and D 1.3 and SpywareBlaster - I, like many thousands, use all three or similar variants (SpywareBlaster works in the background) and you do regular scans with the first two on an alternative basis). One will occasionally pick up something that the other misses.

The reason for using them along, for instance, with the free version of AVG (www.grisoft.com) and updating regularly and consistently, is to prevent the ingress of the viruses etc that you rightly don't want to experience.
New trojan (new to me, anyway) - Roger Jones
Heard of iupdate.exe? I ran Norton Anti-Virus last night and it found the infection, quarantined it, recommended deletion and failed. I did a Web search and found very little (nothing at Norton) except at Trend Micro. I have finally managed to delete the file by:

* Opening a DOS command prompt (Start|All Programs|Accessories on my system), which is left open while . . .

* Running Task Manager (Start|Run and type in taskmgr).

* Deleting Internet Explorer from the Process list.

* Deleting iupdate.exe from the Process list.

* Then delete the iupdate.exe file at the command prompt.

* Restart.

A nasty little miscreant and how the hell it got in I don't know, except that I have a feeling it might have disguised itself as a Windows system update prompt that I took to be genuine and accepted.
New trojan (new to me, anyway) - Dalglish
Heard of iupdate.exe? I ran Norton Anti-Virus last night and
it found the infection, quarantined it, recommended deletion
and failed. I did a Web search and found very little (nothing
at Norton) except at Trend Micro.

roger jones -

very strange indeed that norton should find the infection yet their web-site should have no information about it!

note that iupdate.exe is normally a genuine microsoft auto-update file.

on the other hand, however, aupdate.exe is a known trojan.
all !! windows users - take note !! - Dalglish
all those who use windows as their operating system, including those people who use mozilla or netscape or anything else as their browser within windows, please take note.

to emphasise that mozilla etc. users are also affected, i have copied this message from www.mozillazine.org/

" .. last week's outbreak of the Download.Ject virus, which exploited a number of holes in Microsoft's IIS Web server and Internet Explorer to install a password-stealing trojan horse on Web surfers' computers. Microsoft patched some of the flaws before the outbreak occurred and today released another update that protects against the vulnerability by way of a configuration change (though the underlying problem has not been fixed). Windows users should hotstep it to Windows Update (must be visited using IE) to install the patch, regardless of whether they use Internet Explorer as their default browser.
Misplaced Documents Folder - THe Growler
Here's one for the gurus.

My Documents folder has somehow replicated itself to C:\My Music\My Documents.

It still exists on Desktop as well. Every time I save or try and open something the OS looks in the above, not the Desktop folder.

Deleting the second folder doesn't work.

Mystified in Manila.

Misplaced Documents Folder - Stuartli
These may help

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

tinyurl.com/2frq9
Randex.Gen - Adam {P}
Hello all,
I have a slight problem. A short while back when the Sasser virus was in it's prime I was downloading patches and updates left right and centre. Upon doing so I found that my system32.exe was infected with "W32.Randex.Gen". Considering it wasn't slowing down my computer or doing anything I could see I left it. However, rather foolishly I plugged my friend's laptop into the network the other day and they have it. They don't notice anything but from what I understand the worm/virus whatever you want to call it replicates itself through network shares and also opens ports and performs DoS attacks. Needless to say I want and need to fix my friend's computer. I've had a search albeit brief and can't really find a quick way to get rid of it. Norton System Works picks the thing up but can't quarantine or delete it (not that I'd want system32.exe to be deleted anyway!)

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Many Thanks
Adam
Randex.Gen - Mark (RLBS)
www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/12377.ht...l
Randex.Gen - Adam {P}
Thanks very much for that Mark - I've had a good read of it and it looks promising.
Adam
Windows ME screen driver problems - SjB {P}
I have no Windows ME experience, but because I work in the Software industry, I guess it was natural for my brother to ask me to help him resolve a problem with this prehistoric operating system on his home PC!

History is that the computer was used in SAFE mode whilst a virus was removed, which of course imples 256 colours and 640x480 resolution.

Although the PC is no longer in SAFE mode, it is proving impossible to use the normal method (RMB Properties from the desktop, then Settings tab) of resetting to 16bit colours and 1024x768 resolution. Try as we might, this will not stick. Some combinations of change sequence in the aforementioned tab just do nothing, whilst others prompt for the reboot I would expect, but have been lost after the reboot. To cap it all, he can't find the OE backup disk with the screen drivers on it, and neither can we find them on the web to download as a backup. If we could, I would remove them and re-install.

Many thanks for all help.
Windows ME screen driver problems - Dalglish
sjb -

does win-me have earlier restore marker points?

try those if available.

if not, consider if it is time for your bro to buy a "student" or "education" copy of xp-home assuming someone in his family qualifies for that discount.
Windows ME screen driver problems - just a bloke
sjb -
does win-me have earlier restore marker points?
try those if available.

The problem with this, is that if the 'puter was infected there is a good chance the restore points are as well.

You don't need "screen" drivers, you need video card drivers.

If you don't know the card/ have misplaced the disc all is not lost.
Either of the following will allow you to identify the card.

1) Take the case off and have a look at the card, it will have the makers name/type on it somewhere
2) when the machine is 1st booted the very 1st message that is displayed after the bios message is the name of the video chipset. With the name you should be able to find drivers.

JaB
Many thanks Dalglish and JaB.

Buying an upgrade to XP is actually one of the options, though one that we are resisting at the moment to try and avoid the cost.

Thanks for the tip about the video card drivers.
Will certainly follow this up.

Cheers both!
SjB
Windows ME screen driver problems - AngryJonny
More recent motherboards have the sound and graphics capabilities built into them, rather than requiring external graphics cards. If you have one of these (I think they are ATX motherboards - an industry standard) then you will find the graphic drivers on the CD for the motherboard. It's unlikely you will have a specific disk of graphics drivers.

Similar to the advice above, you can probably get drivers for these motherboards (including graphics drivers) from the manufacturer of the motherboard.

I couldn't guarantee that upgrading to XP would work. The computer may still not recognise your graphics adaptor.
Windows ME screen driver problems - Stuartli
AT, ATX etc motherboards are named in this way based on the type of power supply they use.

Many modern motherboards (as well as quite a few models dating back several years) do have onboard sound and/or graphics - some of the onboard soundchips such as the C-Media 8738 will deliver remarkably good standards for 3D and surround sound.

nVidia is producing motherboard graphics chipsets which are much superior to earlier efforts in this area, especially those that used/robbed some of the memory to provide the graphics.

But for the very best it's still better to use separate rather than onboard sound and graphics cards.

If you do switch to XP there is a chance that it will have the graphics drivers in its extensive database.

There should be a restore point in ME. Windows 98SE had it from the Command Prompt when booting up.

Hit F8 on bootup. Select Boot with command prompt only. Type scanreg/restore and choose a known good registry file with a date prior to the problem.

It saved my life on more than one occasion...:-)

Thanks for the continued advice, especially yours Stuartli.
I've run out of time to fix it for him before I go on holiday tomorrow, but will do so on my return, starting with the restore option, as it appears straightforward, followed by the other options.

Cheers fellow BRers! :-)
SP2 for Windows XP - malteser
Has any well placed, ear to the ground, member any information about the release date of SP2? It has been rumoured to be possibly this month, I understand.
BTW I am running WMP v.10 beta and it is a much nicer interface IMO.
Any user comments on this?
Roger in Spain
SP2 for Windows XP - Dalglish
malteser

if you are really keen, you can download win-xp-sp2-rc2 at
www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2...x
SP2 for Windows XP - Citroënian {P}
SP2 should have been released last month, but current forecasts give within the next two months as likely dates.

The link above gives Release Candidate 2 which is pretty much complete - as I understand it, the changes likely are down to settings such as switch this on/off etc.

Be aware that if you do go for the Release Candidate above that it's not directly supported by MS so if you break your computer using it (or it does things that you don't expect or like) then you'll be on your own.

When MS are ready to release I think we'll all know about it, I'd resist opting early unless you're pretty confident with a PC.

HTH
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Anyone still using IE? - frostbite
Anyone still using IE should have a look at the article which starts:-

Malicious code could be robbing your bank, and Internet Explorer is practically driving the getaway car. Find out about IE's holes and how to plug them.

You can get the full article here

reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/internet/0,39024165,3...m
Anyone still using IE? - Stuartli
The point is valid, but only if people don't take proper precautions.

I've always had a firewall, anti-virus protection, S and D, Ad-aware and SpywareBlaster (all free incidentally) for as long as I can remember and do updates daily; in addition I block Third Party Cookies and only allow these on websites I know I can trust and, in Outlook Express, have the Preview Pane permanently disabled.

As a result I've had no problems with viruses etc touch wood.
Anyone still using IE? - Dalglish
The point is valid, but only if people don't take proper precautions.

I've always had a firewall, anti-virus protection, S and D, Ad-aware and SpywareBlaster (all free incidentally) for as long as I can remember and do updates daily; in addition I block Third Party Cookies and only allow these on websites I know I can trust and, in Outlook Express, have the Preview Pane permanently disabled.

As a result I've had no problems with viruses etc touch wood.

>>

ditto.
and as i posted further up, you should install security updates to windows even if you don't use internet explorer as your browser.
i think it is a shame that the goodies invented by well-meaning software writers are now mostly unusable because the code can be exploited by vandals.
Anyone still using IE? - Stuartli
>>security updates to windows

Matter of routine...:-)
Anyone still using IE? - Baskerville
i think it is a shame that the goodies invented by
well-meaning software writers are now mostly unusable because the code can
be exploited by vandals.

Well meaning? Microsoft is a monopoly corporation. Its aim is to make as much money as possible by doing as little as possible. That's why IE has had no development for three years--MS has only just reinstated the IE development team after all that time. The result of lack of competition is bad products like Lada cars, and MS Windows. Incidentally it is being predicted that SP2 will break alot of non-Microsoft software. Improved security measures mean that backwards compatibility has been, to some extent, dropped. It will almost cetainly go altogether with Longhorn, the next Windows.
Anyone still using IE? - Baskerville
And now the bug in Mozilla:

software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/08/232...2

It means programs can be run from Mozilla by clicking on a link. The patch was available within one day of the "bug" being reported:

"The kicker is that this isn't even a problem with Mozilla; it's a problem with Windows Explorer. Windows XP Service Pack 1 was supposed to have closed this hole, but apparently it is still functioning and leaving Windows systems open to remote attack. So the Mozilla team worked to patch a hole that had little to do with their project."

How do I open a .ddb file? - Mapmaker
I have been sent a file with a .ddb extension.

Does anybody have any idea how I can open it? (I have a vague feeling at the back of my mind that a file with this extension may have been compressed in some way.)

Many thanks, as usual.
How do I open a .ddb file? - Stuartli
If you check out the various DDB definitions here:

filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=DDB

and work out why someone would send you a .ddb file, you should be able to ascertain which applies in your case.
How do I open a .ddb file? - just a bloke
If you check out the various DDB definitions here:
filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=DDB
and work out why someone would send you a .ddb file,
you should be able to ascertain which applies in your case.

have look here ->

www.perfectdrivers.com/fileext.html
Whoops.....

Very quick... Stuartli

;-)
JaB
Most likely to be bitmap graphics...
Comes from spending hundreds of hours answering all types of queries on the PC Advisor HelpRoom/Customerwatch websites...:-)
Cheers. So any clues, please, as to what will open it? A graphics viewer?

Thanks!
There are two types, vector and bitmap.

If you have it, first port of call should be Irfanview which should prove the answer. Make sure that all the file extensions are enabled.

If not, and I would be surprised, try right-clicking on the file and then selecting Open With; XP\'s Picture and Fax Viewer might just work, but don\'t enable it permanently in Open With as you may need to try something else (if you have XP).
You won\'t be surprised - I don\'t have it.

XP\'s P&F viewer doesn\'t work either.

Thanks!
I\'m somewhat surprised you don\'t have Irfanview - it\'s probably the greatest piece of freeware ever made available in this particular field.

Download it from here, plus the Plug-ins, and enable them once installed:

www.irfanview.com/
Before you actually try and view these files, run a virus check first.

It\'s not unknown for .bmp files to be used for Trojan purposes.
but it's not a .bmp file, and it won't open a .ddb file.

I think I give up and get 'em faxed!
Do you use or have any involvement with KaZaA?

home.hetnet.nl/~frejon55/ft/KazaaFileFormats.html

www.zeropaid.com/bbs/archive/index.php/t-3860
eh? Unlikely I think from my reaction!
.dbb files are involved...:-)

\"Get them faxed\"

Do you know who sent it to you? Ask them what application they used to produce the file.

I reckon it was something Macintosh related

JaB