Backroom 1, Tesco Insurance 0 - AN Other
Got my renewal notice through last week. Fairly reasonable, but Mrs Other has accrued an SP30 since last time. Out of interest, I tried a fresh quote with Tesco Online with the new details. It came to £2 more than the renewal amount. Fair enough. Phone Tesco to renew and give updated details, and told renewal amount would be another £40 or so.

Told Tesco person that online was only a couple of quid more, and got the explanation that this was because of the online discount. There was no way they could simply match this price, and I'd just have to let my insurance lapse and then take out a new policy. This isn't the first time I've encountered this piece of insurance silliness, so I just let it pass and went online.

I'd looked at probably a dozen other companies and found Tesco still the cheapest, but then I remembered BR's singing the praises of Liverpool Victoria. Tried them, and got the quote down by £35 from the original Tesco renewal quote. Bye bye Tesco! If they'd just been sensible in the first place...

So thanks BR - I shall consider Saturday night's curry as paid for!
Backroom 1, Tesco Insurance 0 - Orson {P}
I insure with Tesco, and the other day I had a thing through from MBNA insurance services which claimed to undercut Tesco by a fair amount. I haven't yet put them to the test, but would be interested if anyone has had dealings with them.

I know you should compare like-for-like, but Tesco has seemed to be reasonably bargain-basement cover: it all works, but it's extra for anything like green cards, sp30s and so on.

O
Tesco was fine - pleasant enough, although luckily I never had to call on my cover...

Liverpool Victoria do two things which are better:

1. Legal protection is included in the price;
2. Driving abroad does not incur any extra charge as long as you don't go over 180 days. This cost extra with Tesco.
Backroom 1, Tesco Insurance 0 - Bromptonaut
2. Driving abroad does not incur any extra charge as long
as you don't go over 180 days. This cost extra with
Tesco.

This is a real pain, even having to advise never mind pay. Do these companies realise that getting the ferry/chunnel is something to do on impulse?. I refused quotes from any company that required me to advise. Elephant join a fairly short roll of honour with LV (but were £200 cheaper)
Backroom 1, Tesco Insurance 0 - SpamCan61 {P}
SWMBO has just moved her insurance from Tesco to Diamond : premium reduced from nearly 400 quid to 250 ish, and a lower excess. I got fed up with Tesco upping the default excess very year anyway. I found www.confused.com very useful for comparing quotes; at least you only have to enter all your details once. usual disclaimers.
Backroom 1, Tesco Insurance 0 - daveyjp
L & V (Frizzell in my case) also include spouses automatically as well as cover for business use for both policyholder and spouse. Their attitude towards modifications is also excellent. If its a bit you bolt on take a photo so there is proof it was fitted, if it's something like a remap just declare it. When we had the smart remapped Tesco wanted to know the increase in power as a percentage of the original power output! How are you supposed to work that out without a rolling road test?
Backroom 1, Tesco Insurance 0 - Hawesy1982
I found similar sillyness when i came to renew my policy with Elephant. They won't give current customers an online renewal quote, you have to ring up, so to find out what the quote would be i ran through a bogus name, but same postcode, same car, same conditions, same age - the lot, as if i was a new customer.

Got an acceptable quote out at the end, so i was pleased. The only company to beat them was Admiral, Elephant's parent company. They only beat Elephant by £10 so i thought sod it, stick with Elephant.

Anyway, when the auto-renewal letter comes through, it's £300 more than a new policy would be! I ring up to explain this, and they claim to be unable to beat their renewal price to me, even though they have managed to do so by £300 a week earlier online!

As a result, i told Elephant where to go, and saved an additional £10 with Admiral.
Backroom 1, Tesco Insurance 0 - Stargazer {P}
Just tried www.confused.com as my insurance is up for renewal in approx 6 weeks and I am determined not to leave it to the last minute for a phone round of the usual suspects. After
much form filling I am informed that the results will be emailed within an hour.....that was yesterday.

Has anyone else got information back from them?

cheers

Ian L.
I tried them too. They did get back to me within an hour, but weren't very competitive - L&V were £70 cheaper than their lowest quote.