auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - mikeinlondon
Hi All

I am about to get a Corolla 1.6 auto and, never having owned an auto before would like to know if there are any driving tecniques I should adopt (apart from laft foot braking, which I am unsure about!)?

For example: When should one use the 1 and 2 gears manually? Should one take it out of drive at every oppertunity? Use overdrive in town etc etc? Park or neutral and foot or hand brake at traffic lights?

mike
auto gearbox - Mapmaker
1. (thanks, Dr A.) wait 10 seconds after starting engine before engagin drive to ensure oil pump working.

2. Left foot braking. I\'ve never understood this, as when manoeuvering I don\'t ever seem to use the accelerator pedal, merely less brake.

3. If you are a Metro/Fiesta driver, you will get into a right old huff about BMW drivers who sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brakes & \'burn out their retinas\' with the brakelights. If you are an auto driver, you won\'t want to wear out your auto \'box more quickly by over-using the selector. Search 100s of previous threads for this!

4. Use the manual gears virtually never. When towing maybe. When going down hill - you then get engine braking.

auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - Ivor E Tower
I'm prepared to be shot down in flames over this but here goes:
Keep right-foot braking, easier to adapt if you drive a manual car again eg loan car when yours is being serviced. Right foot usually easier to control finely; unless you practice a lot, left foot braking will be jerky leading to unpleasant ride and excess wear on the brakes etc. In normal weather, leave car in auto when on the move, but you can change down manually eg if approaching red lights from some distance. Take car out of "drive" if you think you will be stationary for 30 seconds or more. When stationary, use neutral and handbrake so as not to dazzle people behind you by "blasting" them with the brake lights unnecessarily. In winter you may wish to use gears manually a little if the snow/ice get really bad, otherwise best to leave it "D" and forget about the gears!
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - frostbite
As an auto driver of over 20 years I endorse everything said by IET, particularly keeping to right foot braking (I habitually tuck my left foot across behind my right leg).

I tried lfb a couple of times and found myself sliding forward and braking much harder than intended as a result.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - machika
Yet to see an explanation for left foot braking. Why is it supposed to be preferable? After all, with a normal gearbox, one brakes with the right foot, so what is the problem with doing the same with an automatic? I can't see how the left foot can be moved from the floor (or footrest) to the brake pedal, quicker than the right foot can be moved from the throttle pedal. In fact, I feel that it would take longer.

As far as manual mode is concerned, if it is a car with a tiptronic change, using it is just the same as using a manual box, except there is no clutch to operate (although these boxes will kick down under hard acceleration, or change down in the event of slowing down, if a lower gear is not selected).

auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - Mapmaker
Gospel according to St HJ. www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=15
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - paulb {P}
Using left foot on brake pedal can be handy for doing hill starts, particularly in American hire cars that have fiddly parking brakes and no proper handbrake.

Have tried braking with left foot in normal driving - trouble was that my left foot kept thinking it was pressing a clutch, with the result that I nearly got rear-ended several times!

I'm sure practice makes perfect but as a matter of personal preference I stick to giving the left foot a rest when driving automatics.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - Altea Ego
All the instances of problems and accidents with Autos quoted in HJs gospel appear to have happened to people who cant be trusted to sit the right way on a toilet seat let alone be let loose in a car.

I can see no good reason to change driving feet for an Auto, and nor did I when i was driving them.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - Older_not_wiser
Concur.

In addition, the following is taught as "best practice" -

At Red lights, leave in D - apply handbrake if going to be stationary for longer than a a few seconds.

As to manual holds -

1. Select 3rd (or even 2nd if in 30 limit) prior to steep downhill. Saves descending on firm braking.

2. Select 3rd for series of bends. (note - not single bend). Saves you coping with box changing up as you slow for 2nd and subsequent. And helps to reduce firm braking needed.

3. Overtaking - Many a driver has been heard to complain that the kick-down with an automatic takes too long and is a nuisance. Well, you can eliminate kick down all together and get the same response for the car as you would with a manual transmission. All you have to do is decide what gear the car would select, at your current road speed to accelerate past the vehicle you are going to overtake. Having worked that out, select that same gear manually so that when you do go for the overtake the car will respond at the required rate immediately. And will not change up as you pass the target car and back off.

By choosing the right options there is so much less stress involved in driving, and not only that, there is less stress on the vehicle, which means less running costs and you are in control.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - AN Other
Absolutely agree with OnW as far as overtaking is concerned. This is partcularly important if you've got a "clever" autobox which thinks it's learned your driving style. A long period of gentle driving, pull out to overtake and need clean pants because the autobox is still in bed. Reverse theory applies if your leadfooted wife has borrowed the car... I also find that on full kickdown my autobox will select too low a gear and quickly run out of revs, when third would have done all along.

Left foot braking? No thanks, unless you're maneuvering in a very tight spot.

On the "what to do at traffic lights" point, I've always wondered about this. Consistent advice (which I follow) seems to be to leave the car in drive and hold your foot on the brake. Somehow though this just goes against mechanical sympathy. Doesn't this wear out any components faster? I'd love to know!
Depends what you're wearing out. This is pure conjecture, doubtless somebody who knows will be along with some useful information.

Brakes are consumables. Accordingly, wearing them out is not a problem. They are simple, easily fixed & cheap.

There's no clutch that you're riding to wear out - there's some sort of clever fluid clutch inside an auto box.

The gear select lever gives quite a thunk (relatively speaking) when engaged. This feels uncomfortable to me, so I guess is where the wear will happen. Auto boxes are expensive.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - BazzaBear {P}
The person behind you might not like your brakelights staying on at the traffic lights, but on the other hand it's better than the small heart attack they have when they suddenly see your reversing lights come on as you cycle through to park. :D

The theory of left foot braking is that in situations where you're expecting to need to brake you can hover over the pedal and so get the left foot there quicker. Personally on the occasions when I've tried to use LFB I've nearly put myself through the windscreen through pressing it too hard.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - AdrianM
I found left foot braking became natural after a very short time and certainly had no trouble switching between auto and SWMBOs manual.

I brake with right foot in normal driving conditions and switch over to left foot for finer control (so at some point I may have both feet on the brake). It certainly gives much better control when manouevring slowly (turning, parking etc) or, eg, when you need to pull swiftly out of a busy junction.

I tended to select gear 3 around town as my old jalopy would slip in to D (overdrive) almost too readily and felt like it was labouring unduly. But I'd expect any modern car to just sit in D all day (except when you want to go backwards!)
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - SjB {P}
If the car was left in 'P', before starting the engine check that the hand brake is on, and pressing the foot brake too, move the gear selector in to 'N'. This ensures that the starter motor and powertrain are not started under parking induced load.

In many years experience with my brother's autos, if the car was parked on even the slightest incline, it is amazing how much difference to vibration, proving the load, this makes. On some cars, it also requires a harder pull to move in to neutral if the car was started with the gearbox parking mechanism under load.

The converse applies when parking:

Bring the car to a halt.
In to neutral.
Hand brake on.
Release the footbrake to allow the car to settle.
Reapply the foot brake.
In to park.
Engine off.
Release the Foot brake.

Those who simply throw the car in to park and walk away, hand brake off, not even bothering to do simple things like turn the wheels towards or away from the kerb )depending on whether up or down hill) mildly annoy me!

Left foot braking?
I use it most often when reversing up to couple a trailer.
It is easier to control speed to a fine degree that simply relying on tickover plus throttle. ie:

Fully apply foot brake with left foot.
Apply gentle throttle to raise engine slilghtly above tickover with right foot.
Gently use left foot to control speed.

I effectively do the same on my motorbike to do a U-turn as well!
Set revs and clutch slip required, and control speed with the rear brake (left foot!) This is for a different purpose though, namely to allow speed to be controlled without pitching the suspension, which crucially affects balance points and control on tight lock at low speed.

>But I'd expect any modern car to just sit in D all day (except when you want to go backwards!)

Agreed. It will. Depends who you think is in charge though - you or the car.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - AdrianM
Not at all - you're always in charge. A car is just a machine that works to a set of rules - you have to add the intelligence.

My point was that my old car was world-weary and would often slip into an inappropriate gear, I'd expect a modern car to make a better job of it.
Worth stressing the point that you will get little of the engine braking that you are used to when you decelerate in an auto.

Probably a good idea to leave a larger than usual gap in front until you get used to it.
Indeed. Modern autos are better than, say, 20 years ago.

Better in that they react better.
But there are times when you can anticipate.

Which is why the (sometimes) use of manual hold selection is taught.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - Aprilia
IAM are keen on moving to '2' when in a 30mph limit; its easy to drift over a little on a downward slope due to the lack of engine braking in 'D'. Also makes for brisk acceleration when you move out of the 30mph zone. Foot down a bit and then knock it into D.
I have just read the HJ guide to left foot braking and would make the following comment.

We have a C5 HDI auto and when I am parking I do so on a dead throttle, with my foot over the brake pedal at all times, so the chance of me mistakenly hitting the throttle pedal is removed. I don't need any more power than the engine will provide on tickover. There is no more danger of mistakenly slamming the throttle pedal than if I was driving a car with a manual gearbox.

Actually, I know of a case where this happened, as I was involved. An elderley woman driver panicked for some reason on leaving a supermarket car park and floored the throttle. She came flying along the car park access road, just as I was looking for a parking space and clipped the back end of my car. This didn't stop her and she carried on out of the car park, across a road and grass verge and straight through a garage wall, which was opposite the car park entrance/exit. She came to rest against the wall of the house, which was owned by the people whose garage wall she had demolished. Now this was a car with a manual box, so the prescence of a clutch made no difference, once she had panicked and floored the throttle.

As for giving more control on hill starts, well this is where the hand brake comes in. Very few cars have hand brakes that differ from the norm, I would have thought. My wife and I have no problem with our C5.

My other point about using the left foot for braking is that you can't cover the brake pedal all of the time with the left foot. It would take longer to hit the brake pedal with the left foot (from the floor or footrest) in the case of an emergency stop, than moving the right foot from the throttle pedal. You can't anticipate emergency stops. Using the right foot also takes it off the throttle pedal. With years and years of driving cars with manual gearboxes it is learned reflex, so why try to change it. As for anticipating braking, just take the foot of the throttle pedal and cover the brake with the right foot. If braking is anticipated, it is surely safer to ease off on the throttle anyway.
I should have said in the second paragraph, that it is my right foot that I have over the brake pedal.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - Arty
geez, it cant be that difficult to drive an auto. You only need 1 foot whilst working the brakes and accelerator that's it. It's designed to be easy.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - AN Other
Quite. As the American fifties car ads used to trumpet:

"One pedal for 'Go', one pedal for 'Whoa!'"

I'll leave you to concoct your own witty variation...
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - doctorchris
On a slightly different tack, I have an off-roader with an auto box. It is essential to be able to hold the car in 1st for steep slippery descents and useful to hold it in 2nd for ascents. Similar technique applies for on-road driving in snow.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - trancer
Unless descending a hill, leave the autobox in drive and if you are descending a hill, put it into the lower gear before you start descending. Slipping it into and out of drive at traffic lights (or into lower gears to accelerate)won't do your torque convertor and clutch bands any favours and yes, they are significantly more expensive to replace than burnt out brakelight bulbs. If the person behind you finds your brakelights 'too bright" then they have a problem that an optician needs to sort out. If the current intensity of brakelights was found to be too bright for road users I am sure the governmental types would have tackled the menace by now.

Left foot braking, absolutely essential for performing smoky tyre burnouts in an automatic, but beyond that really only useful to reduce brake response times. A left foot already in contact with the brake pedal *will* be quicker to apply the brake than a right foot that has to release the accelerator and travel over to the brake pedal. I was taught this during my emergency vehicle training and fully accept that it has no useful purpose in everyday driving. In many of the training/driving maneouvers, the brakes were applied at various levels even while the vehicle was accelerating. This serves to "load" the torque convertor and give quicker acceleration too.

If anyone remember 5th Gear when VBH (calm down ND) was drag racing a Bentley, she was getting very bad 1/4 mile times. The reason for this is because the torque convertor had to be loaded up before the car would move. What she should have done was fully apply the brake pedal while pressing the accelerator to load the torque convertor and raise the RPMs into a higher power band. Then its a simply matter of releasing the brake (as you would with a clutch) and the car would rocket forward. Of course this is only possible with left foot braking.
>>This serves to "load" the torque convertor and give quicker acceleration too.

And does absolutely no favours at all to your auto box - causing over heating, wear to the bands etc. etc. etc.
"And does absolutely no favours at all to your auto box - causing over heating, wear to the bands etc. etc. etc."

Absolutely correct, however this was taught in my emergency vehicle course where the speed and response of an ambulance or a police car (or a Bentley press car) was deemed far more important than the cost of the equipment. At no time did I recommend or even suggest that people do it during normal everyday driving.

>At no time did I recommend or even suggest that people do it during normal everyday driving.

Indeed.

The questioner asked for "best practice techniques".

No way does that involve left foot braking.

Now if the question were "What home made driving techniques do people use?" - different question.
Yes he did ask for "best practice techiniques" then went on to mention left foot braking and that he was unsure about it. I gave my opinions on and experiences with left foot braking in an attempt to explain its use better.

As for "What home made driving techniques do people use?". Left foot braking was taught to me by emergency vehicle instructors on a closed course using various vehicles which resulted in my now being licensed to operate them. So obviously my responses would not be suitable for such a question and I would have to leave that one for the home made drivers.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - tr7v8
"Slipping it into and out of drive at traffic lights (or into lower gears to accelerate)won't do your torque convertor and clutch bands any favours and"
Err it won't make any difference the TC rotates at all times so all you'll do is unload the output shaft which on modern autos the ECU idle management will keep the tickover at the same speed.
My late Father was Borg Warner trained and he could tell the quality of driver by stripping the auto. Left foot braking used to wear clutches and brake bands and generates a LOT of heat.
NO ONE needs to sit at traffic lights or where ever with their foot on the brake all you need to do is pull the handbrake on. Sat behind some muppet on the M25 last year after a major shunt which stopped all traffic for 20 minutes on 3 occasions. This complete plank sat with his foot on the brake for the entire 20 minutes each time. It was dark and I had a blinding headache at the end of the trip. Came close to getting out and tapping on his window, but if you're that ignorant.....

Jim
It isn't the spinning of the convertor that wears it and the clutch bands its the loading and unloading (through excessive use of the selector) that causes the wear. That thunk you hear/feel when placing the car in drive etc is the buildup of fluid pressure and the clutch band taking up slack. If your father says this causes no harm (and I am not as qualified as he is to refute him)then why do automatics wear out?.

Totally agree that no-one needs to sit with their foot on the brake but can't agree with you that brake lights cause headaches.

I ask this with all sincerity, are the brake lights used in the UK brighter than in any other part of the world?. I have yet to hear of others complain about brakelights, even when I lived in the US where the majority of cars are automatics and no-one I know ever takes the car out of drive at lights etc.
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - SjB {P}
.... Then its a simply matter of releasing the brake (as you would with a clutch) and the car would rocket forward. Of course this is only possible with left foot braking....

Yup, makes a helluva difference to how my brother's V70 D5 auto gets off the mark too! Driven like this, with the turbo brought on to boost a second or so before releasing the foot brake, the car goes like a scalded cat, not that far off my manual V70 2.4T, with so much torque that the tyres struggle to contain it.

Driven 'conventionally', with right foot moving from brake to throttle, initial launch is much more sedate, as typical modern diesel (nothing, nothing, everything) power delivery is allowed to rule the roost.

Of course, this technique is not used all the time, because it does put a lot of heat and extra strain in to the powertrain. For toasting the odd GTi at the lights however...
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - Sooty Tailpipes
"Keep right-foot braking, easier to adapt if you drive a manual car again eg loan car when yours is being serviced." DEFINATELY!

Also, your brain may react differently in an emergency to when you're normally driving! I had a warning about 12 years ago when I was 18, I had been driving a Mercedes 190 auto a lot (my bosses) and I tried left foot braking, upon using a Sierra for a day, an emergency ensue, and I left foot braked and locked the wheels, and stalled the vehicle, this caused a big problem for those behind, and put me off it for good, obviously a different brain area is used in emergencies than for normal driving and usless you've 'reprogrammed' both, you may come unstuck!
Older Not Wiser wrote '3. Overtaking - Many a driver has been heard to complain that the kick-down with an automatic takes too long and is a nuisance. Well, you can eliminate kick down all together and get the same response for the car as you would with a manual transmission. All you have to do is decide what gear the car would select, at your current road speed to accelerate past the vehicle you are going to overtake. Having worked that out, select that same gear manually so that when you do go for the overtake the car will respond at the required rate immediately. And will not change up as you pass the target car and back off.'

Maybe I'm thick. Or more likely, maybe I'm slightly nervous of over taxing an elderly auto 'box. But I'd never really used the manual selector before OnW's post. And wow, does that give you 2 more seconds to do an overtake. Thanks! Which begs the question: 'Why is the kick-down so slow?' It never occured to me that it could be any quicker to use the gear lever.
Another point being made here is that us lazy auto drivers don't often fiddle with the stick, so you can usually be a little more confident about the condition of engines of secondhand autos, because they will have been looked after a bit better by the autobox.
Not thick. Nobody ever learns anything unless
(a) they ask - and how do we ask about things we don't know about?
or (b) some info is volounteered - and that info is at least considered.

"Why is the kick-down so slow?" - well, modern 'boxes are better, but they can only react.
With your computer between the ears, you can anticipate - for example taking 3rd gear hold 2 seconds before you need it.
Very interesting OnW, as I've been driving an auto for 6 months, & mostly love it (London needs an auto 'box), but just sometimes I think 'I would change down a gear here'.

How does the fuel economy of an auto 'box work out? Just sometimes, I'll be going up a hill at 40. Car will be in top and we're going nowhere.

I know that modern cars have ecus that control the flow of petrol (rather than the right foot directly controlling the flow), so am I better forcing it to change down one?

What can I tell you? :)

At least you now know options exist.

I cannot guess at answers to particular scenarios.

MPG is not top of my radar.
It just happens that "reasonable" MPG happens to drop out of a driving style that says
"as much progress as possible, within Safety and Smoothness"

Try different gears in different situations for yourself and see.

My philosophy with autos is - do not treat it like a manual,
but use anticipation to sometimes guess better (or earlier) than the 'box can.

Your brain - you engage it. :)
auto gearbox "best practice techniques" - hillman
"As stated previously, like Machika, I cannot conceive manoeuvering with a foot on the accelerator. The dead throttle provides far more than enough juice at all times."

You must be doing all of your parking on level ground. My path is quite steep, as are also a lot of the car parks in the Peak District. A dead throttle will not even keep my car still. I have to use the handbrake until I am lined up, and then coax with the throttle. I have to be very careful with the throttle when on my path, because I have only inches either side.
Fair point. I suppose somebody has to live in the provinces.

::Jealous expression adopted::