Peugeot 406 Not very cold air con - Chops887766
Hi

It is a 1998 Pug 406. When we put the air con on, the air does not get really cold like it should. It is a bit cooler than the normal outside air but not like air conditioned air should be.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong and if there is a quick fix?

Thanks
Peugeot 406 Not very cold air con - stokie
Car Mechanics magazine have a feature on air conditioning in this months edition. They follow a technician investigating a similar problem on a Volvo. Basically he tests the whole system for leaks, finds there aren't any which confirms his suspicion that the amount of fluid in the system has run down, so he recharges the system and now with enough fluid in the system the heat transfer works better and really cool air comes out.
Peugeot 406 Not very cold air con - Chops887766
Thanks - I'll check it out.
Peugeot 406 Not very cold air con - andymc {P}
I posted a query about exactly the same issue here about two months ago on behalf of a friend. His 406 is a 1999 model IIRC. Do a forum search for threads under my name, as there were a number of helpful suggestions. AFAIK he only got around to sorting it out about a week ago - I think it was an electrical problem. I'll ask him tomorrow & post anything useful.
--
andymc
Peugeot 406 Not very cold air con - dieselhead
If the compressor isn't 'clicking' in suspect that there is no gas left in the system. Could be just natural wastage if it's not been recharged before or suspect leaking corroded pipe under the radiator.
If the compressor seems to be working probably just low gas pressure and needs a recharge - about £80 from peugeot dealer if no leaks are found - they have to check as it's illegal to charge a leaky system.
Engine revs should drop slightly if the compressor is doing any work.