Performance bargain of the year? - Richard Hall
Spotted in today's Anglia Ad Trader - Vauxhall Senator 3.0 24V manual on a G plate, long tax / test, vgc and service history, needs a new clutch (how difficult can that be on a rear drive car?), £450. It's in Kings Lynn, tel 01553 670169. But I bet its gone by now.
Re: Performance bargain of the year? - smokie
I had a fully maintained K reg 2.6 Senator with 150k on that I couldn't give away. It was in good nick, everything worked, new tyres, 10 stack CD recent exhaust etc etc. I loved the car. Book price was about £3k at the time. I stuck it in Autotrader (about 3.5 years ago now) which cost £70 for 2 weeks and the only calls I had were from other organisations wanting another £70 to advertise it. Eventually had to let it go for £1450 to one of those "we buy any car" ads in the local paper. I think it was a combination of bad timing (end summer), high mileage and the fact that it was a 2.6.

The guy sold it on (I guess) but no-one bothered updating the registration document, although I sent my bit off. Within 3 months I had a speeding camera FPN and then a month later the car was found abandoned in Kent - a salvage company who had recovered it (presumably with police/local authority help) wrote to me, if I didn't collect it and pay storage etc then they would destroy it. I called them and said to go ahead.

I'd bought a Rover Sterling, stunner to look at but I'm afraid Rover engineering let it down. I often hankered after my Senator. Yes, it would probably be a great buy at that price. Would recommend a Senator to anyone (so long as insurance and fuel costs are acceptable).
Re: Performance bargain of the year? - Honest John
It isn't the clutch that can be a problem on these cars. It's the Getrag gearbox.

HJ
Re: Performance bargain of the year? - Ben Chapman
Far better to buy a Carlton GSi with its limited slip differ, and quicker steering rack etc etc. Not many good ones aobut though. I think there were only 400 or so manuals sold in this country.

Ben