VW Golf Cd Changer - enr1
The boot mounted CD changer in my 1999 mk4 golf has stopped working. I can hear it changing the disc, but the display on the Gamma radio says CD Error. I can then select another disc, but I get the same message. Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to fix the changer?

VW want £125+VAT (+30mins labour) for a reconditioned replacement. Is it worth taking to a car radio shop for repair?

Any ideas?

Thanks
VW Golf Cd Changer - Altea Ego
Worth someone having a look, it could just be the laser is dirty.
VW Golf Cd Changer - MW
Took my radio/ cassette to a little one man shop years ago. Took it to bits, could easily locate the internal spare parts, and fixed it for £35 ( good cassette players were £100+ then). Did a great job, and 'knew what he was doing- he was a radio/stereo man'. VW will be a relacement man.
Find a good local chap. Will probably give you an quick free estimate, and will say if it is worth doing. If experienced he may have seen the problem before.
VW Golf Cd Changer - Civic8
Have you tried a lens cleaner not expensive.and make sure the disc`s are clean it only takes a fingerprint or spec of dirt on disc to prevent laser reading the disc correctly.Just a thought.
VW Golf Cd Changer - enr1
Thanks I will try a cd cleaner - but does anyone know how they work?