Rover 414, Squeaking brakes? - alexisj
Over the last thousand or so miles my Rover 414 (96N) has developed a high pitched intermittant squeaking noise from the drivers side front. It happens at all speeds, sounds like the brake pads are just touching the disk and comes and goes as the car corners or goes over bumps. I can make it stop by lightly applying the brakes but it comes back again after braking. Just before I bought the car in late Feb it was MOTed by the supplying garage who said they had replaced the front brakes (and a rear wheel cylinder) to get it through the MOT. The car stops in a straight line and Ive never had the brakes on it fade although theyve never felt particularly sharp. Drawing from my experience with hydraulic disc brakes on decent mountain bikes, Id say the pads arent set up correctly and /or the system needs bleeding. Also, if the disc on this wheel is almost constantly being rubbed by the pads, wont this glaze them and render them less effective? What say you car mechanics?!?
Rover 414, Squeaking brakes? - Civic8
That could be caliper piston shim plate.if it wasnt cleaned up and smear of copperslip put on it they do squeek.I am surprised they only replaced one rear wheel cylinder it is common practice to replace both.

Ive never had the brakes on it fade although theyve never felt particularly sharp.

brakes are very good on 414 what does make a difference is if the rears arent adjusted properly reduces braking efficiency.
way to tell is foot on brake pedal then put handbrake on if they need adjusting pedal will go down a bit more.
Rover 414, Squeaking brakes? - fossyant
I'd possibly recommend replacing the pads - likely they could have glazed over - had similar problem on a Rover 1.4 Metro some years ago, squeeking from front wheels intermittently, but dissappeared when I applied brakes. New pads cured it permanently.
Rover 414, Squeaking brakes? - Simon
Some Rover's are fitted with certain brake pads that squeek when they are getting low and in need of replacement. I can't remeber what they are called or exactly how they work but I think it has a small lug of metal that sticks out and contacts the disc when the pad wears to a very low level, and thus produces the squeeking sound. This could be a possibility of why your brakes are sqeeking. If you have never actually checked the pads yourself then you don't know for sure that they were replaced. My advice would be to visually check the amount of friction material left on the pads before you consider other possibilities
Rover 414, Squeaking brakes? - Peter
Following hard braking the pad faces glaze and harden. If they are fairly new, remove pads and using emery cloth, rough the pad face up. Then refit. Works every time.
As Simon said.pads have a plate welded to backplate of pad so when pads wear to this point the plate touches the disc`s.
However if pads were replaced and you havent done a lot of mileage in that time would suggest taking car back.As you got it from a dealer it should have a warranty.usually replacement pads have a thin smear of copperslip put on the metal contact area of caliper/piston.which is why I mentioned disc plate on piston as they are often left out/not done.
Rover 414, Squeaking brakes? - Ford Dagenham
Hi

Sorry to if it seems iam hijacking the post.

I recently took the other halfs car in for a brake service.

The car has done 1500 miles since that now and there is a squeak when slowing down at junctions i had the work done at a local AA service Centre.

I had the fluid pads and discs replaced.

Car is a fiesta mk3 as usual.

What could it be or is it the same fault as the rover

Sorry again
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Possibly.would also depend on what pads were fitted.Cheapies can cause it.if the AA warant what they do I would suggest taking it back 1500 miles is not a lot for pads.Hope that helps?
Rover 414, Squeaking brakes? - Ford Dagenham
Hi

Mintex pads halfords discs
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Try as Peter mentioned ie cleaning the pads or should I say roughen up surface of dics and pads.Dont use sandpaper it makes matters worse.emery cloth preferably medium grain will do the job.any motorist shop should know what that is.? did you not get a warranty on the job.?Halfords as far as I know dont make discs