Air conditioning problem-LandroverDisco - SimonJ
Air conditioning on landrover disco is left on all the time.

A couple of months ago the A/C was less efficient than I would have expected and when the engine was switched off a "gurguling" sound could be heard coming from the ventilation system.

Now there is no cooling whatsoever from the A/C and no gurgling sould even though A/C is switch on?

Any idea what it may be?

Air conditioning problem-LandroverDisco - Dynamic Dave
From what you're saying, it sounds like the system is out of gas for one reason or aonther.

Don't worry, I'm sure our resident A/C expert, Dave N will be along in a minute to advise further.

I wait with anticipation!

Is it likely to be something major to solve? If it cost too much will just live without the AC!

Air conditioning problem-LandroverDisco - Dave N
It sounds like you've sprung a leak someplace.

If it's a series ll disco, then the favourite place is on the small ally pipe that runs through a P clip on the drivers side inner wheel arch. It's dead easy to see as it's just by the top of the damper. Have a good look at all the pipework for a damp/dirty patch. Failing that, take a close look with a good torch at the rest of the components for any evidence.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the help.

You are correct in assuming that it is a series II disco. I'll get the bonnect open and have a good look around tomorrow.

If I have sprung a leak, is it just a matter of finding and refilling? or will the time the a/c has been running empty have caused serious damage to something?

How much should I expect to have to pay for a refill?
Air conditioning problem-LandroverDisco - Dave N
Yeah, you should be OK. If it is that pipe I think they're about £70 from LR. The only problem is the conection at the front end sometimes corrodes to the mating pipe, so when you undo the nut, all the thread comes with it.

Recharging seems to run about £60-80 these days.
Dont think it is a series II

Model is a 1998 LR Disco Safari - just before they updated the model in 1998! - so do that make it a series I disco?
Hi,

Had a very quick look under the bonnet. I think the pipe you mean is the one that runs from the side of the radiator towards the cabin on the engine side of the drivers wheel arch. The pipe has a device on it with a grey screw cap marked with a H - removing this shows a valve? Is this the correct place?

If so, this pipe appears to be in good condition, with the exception of a small greasy patch on the cabin side of the grey cap. I suspect however that this is grease left over from a service rather than cause by leakage.

I have had a quick look at the other pipes that may be connected to the AC and cant see anything - but will get a torch and have a better route round tomorrow. Are there any other area I should have a very good look at?

thanks

Had another look but cant see anything obvious.

Local a/c shop has sign out advertising "free check" so I will take it up tomorrow and see what they have to say.

just one other question - the local a/c shop is also advertising aircon topup. AFAIU a/c gas is not topped up (say like a car tyre to a specific pressure) - but a specific weight of gas was added? Is my understanding correct? if so what would an "aircon top up" be?