Brilliant Idea!! - Andy P
I can't claim ownership of this, but I think it's a brilliant idea....a speed limiter connected to the fog lights. When you use them properly (i.e. in fog), it limits your speed. For those idiots who use them all the time, it's a good incentive to turn them off.

Andy
Re: Brilliant Idea!! - Andrew Moorey
Will it work on all the 3 series Beemers front fogs. Have you thought about the cheap and nasty fog lights retro fitted to all the horrible grey imports.
Re: Brilliant Idea!! - Dave N
And why is it, that when the front fog light brigade are behind you, they get the hump when you put your rear fog lamp on. And when you're behind a rear fog lamper, they get the hump when you give them main beam?
better idea, from mr wonderful ;-) - ladas are cool
i was working a system like on some scooters, what happens is that the car goes like a normal car, but as soon as you reach 70 - 80 mph, it makes the car go no faster, a sort of limiter. so if the car does 0 - 60 in 8 seconds it will, but as soon as it reaches 80 mph, it cant go any faster. scooters have been fitted with a system just like this for many years, so why not cars????
Re: better idea, from mr wonderful ;-) - Tomo
As to cars, well, I'd disconnect it!

As to scooters, I remember that bikes with leg shields and windscreens and the like reached terminal velocity on account of air resistance at about 80 - at which point, let us enjoy the recollection, they blew over.

Even semi modern bikes, I can affirm, do at least 60% better. GOOD!
Re: limiters - Andrew Smith
If one manufacturer fitted such a limiter to their cars they would sell less cars. If all manufacturers fitted such a device to their cars then the value of used pre-limiter cars would quickly be more than the new ones.
Re: Brilliant Idea!! - John Slaughter
Tut tut Andrew - I've not switched the front fogs on since I bought the car!

Regards

john
Re: Brilliant Idea!! - Lee H
I thought the front fogs lights were some part of a complex system that allows the vehicle to be driven much faster and closer to the vehicle in front than usual whilst looking cool.

They also seem to be inextricably linked to the baseball hat circuit.

Can't see how you'd restrict their use, seeing as they add a good 20-30mph to the top speed of a car ;)
Re: limiters - Richard Hall
Can't help feeling that the Government will pick up the idea of speed limiters before too long. The argument used will be exactly the same as for identity cards, CCTV cameras, Internet usage surveillance etc etc : "Law-abiding people have nothing to fear".

(Apart from an unforeseen emergency where the safest avoiding route is to accelerate out of it. Except that you won't be able to.)
Re: limiters - Lee H
> "Law-abiding people have nothing to fear".

I'm just off out to buy my black shirt
Re: limiters - Brian
Sorry for the late reply, just got some time to go on-line.
Driving a speed limited scooter scares me silly.
There are two versions.
Firstly 50cc limited to 30 mph. These are deadly in a 40mph or higher limit. You hold up the traffic which tries to overtake with only a few inches clearance, cutting you up and nearly blowing you off.
Secondly, 100cc or 125cc limited to 50 mph. These are fine in 30 or 40mph limits, as they can keep up with the traffic even if it is doing the normal 45mph. However, in a 60 or 70mph limit area the same effect as described above applies.
IMHO, any vehicle which is incapable of matching the speed of the traffic which it is in is a danger.
The idiots who make up these laws should be obliged to drive one for 1000 miles. Those who survived that test would soon change their minds.