Computer related questions Volume 13 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 14 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22597

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 13 (unlucky for some - hopefully not you). Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Changing from Desktop to Laptop - OAP
I am thinking of changing to a laptop, not least to save the space taken up by work-station.

I need just an entry-level unit for surfing, e-mailing and word processing.

I have narrowed down possible choice to 'ei-system' (own brand?), Toshiba A40 and Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L6820.

Which would Backroomers recommend....or are there better ones worth considering?

My target price is around £650 and I prefer a 15" screen.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated....thanks in anticipation.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - Vin {P}
You say you "prefer" a 15" screen - this one's got a 14 incher, but is a damned sight cheaper.

tinyurl.com/2jx8x

Site's worth a visit anyway - prices are keen and I've had nothing but good service from them.

V
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - Baskerville
I've had excellent service from HP laptops. Having said that my next laptop will be a Mac. If you want a 15" screen though you might as well get a desktop. Unless you're really pushed for space and need to put the computer away when you're not using it a desktop is far, far better value--you could almost get two of similar spec to that ei-system laptop for the money. If you want portability a 15" screen will give you backache. Think very carefully what you'll use it for.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - patently
Agree wholeheartedly with ChrisR. I'd only add:

- you may use a laptop more than you would a desktop and in new ways, as you discover how useful it can be. Bear that in mind.

- space is at a premium inside a laptop case so reliability can be more of a worry, as can burning your mk1 laptop (don't laugh - it happens!). Make sure you get a cast-iron guarantee, and consider the big outfits like Dell and IBM.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - Altea Ego
Laptops are one of the very few things I would buy by brand. The branded makes offer excelent service world wide, and its a case where quality counts. Ok a lot of the branded ones are made by the same manufacturing plant in china, but on separate lines to higher quality. The branded makes below will offer you spares and service long after the other makes have told you its too old and throw it away.

There are a few drawbacks in buying a laptop over a desktop, they are lack of high end graphics power, lack of expandability, no way to upgrade. It sounds as tho none of these will be a problem for you.

The makes to go for are IBM, Toshiba, excelent products, Dell, HP very good products. I hasten to add this list is very laptop specific.
And yes I have a vested interest in one of those companies and typing this on one of those products.

Buy an IBM or a Tosh and I guarantee you will be delighted. Dell or HP and you will not be disapointed or left in the lurch later.
Frankly the other makes are somewhat lacking in the required design and engineering. (I have seen them in bits in tear down labs)
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - kennybase
I can recommend Toshiba laptops.

Exactly a year ago, I moved from a flat into a shared flat, so the amount of space available to me was limited, so I decided to downsize to a laptop. I had a budget of £1000 and settled on the Toshiba brand.

Build quality - excellent
Bits for Money - excellent
Software - sorted

Only problem I had was when the laptop was in a bag that got crushed a bit, and the screen developed white patches at stress points. Phoned Toshiba Warranty at 11am. Courrier picked it up at 2pm, received it 2 days later with new screen, and a note saying they had replaced the hard drive as that was on its way out too - but sent back the old one too so I could pull off my files! Now that is service - shame the motor industry can't do the same!! :-p
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - Stargazer {P}
Confirm the Toshiba quality and technical backup. 3 year worldwide warranty. Mine required a new PCB and power supply at 2.5 years old. Phoned at 9am, picked up at 1230 and back in 4 days.

Until that point it had been performing magnificently despite being shipped and bounced all over the world.

One point, decide/try the two types of pointers, some people prefer the touchpad and some the pointer stick that some Toshibas use.

Also consider wheter you will be using an external screen, keyboard or mouse.

regards

Ian L.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - BB
I would agree with all the comments above and get a good brand of laptop.

Although it is not possible to upgrade laptops easily like you can on a P.C. you can always buy plug and play add ons like hard drives, external writers (DVD & CD) and your usual dongles etc.

We have a rebuilt P.C. that is a massive spec, but do not use it that much as the laptop does everything that I need and with the use of wifi, can use it in the garden to surf the net.

I would always go for laptops these days because of the convenience.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - THe Growler
DON'T buy an Acer. Mine had a hard disk failure in 8 months and came back loaded with Win ME instead of XP because "they didn't have XP available". The battery charging software then went a month later. That was fixed. 3 days after that the battery went. That was replaced. Six weeks later the battery failed again. What a load of junk. It's sat in my cupboard somewhere.....
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - OAP
Once again the Backroom comes up trumps!

Many thanks to all who have responded and to any who may yet contribute comments.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - DavidHM
My sister's been looking for a similar sort of laptop to replace her four year old Toshiba.

PC World's Ei Systems machines are rather good. If they work out cheaper, with an extended warranty (which is expensive, but comprehensive at least) than a branded one with equivalent specification and warranty, then I would say go for it. However, buying one on its own means that spares availability is taking too big a chance.

(Own brand is £599 + 3 year warranty at say £250 vs £749 + £175 - PC World's warranty pays up on pretty much anything except software, cosmetic damage and power surges. My sister's laptop was dealt with very professionnally when the HD failed, although we got it at a price much lower than the current cost, although I don't think they still write and offer the cover at a much reduced rate).

PPS - The Ei Systems deal is actually available with £50 off on the web. Take advantage of the £24.99 half price Norton Internet Security offer, too, when bought with a machine, unless you have something else in mind to use for virus protection.)
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - just a bloke
@davidHM

Are you talking about "PC World"? big shed like places with loads of expensive computers in?

You are the only person I have ever heard say a good word about the place!!

Who says miracles don't happen :-D

JaB
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - DavidHM
Declaring an interest, I have worked there in the past. Before working there, I have received good service and while there are some absolute pink fluffy dice working there, if you have a clear head there are some good deals (as well as some awful ones, it's true). They may not be quite as cheap as building your own desktop (and certainly not as flexible) but that's not what their customers generally want them for. £15 for a USB cable is ridiculous; £600 for a good spec laptop, from stock, isn't.

With regard to the warranty - the thing about a notebook is that I've had two, my sister's got one, and all three have gone wrong in years 2-3. (Two were top brands, one wasn't). In all cases, the cost of parts was roughly the cost of the three year warranty from PC World - so I would always pay up to £200 for an extended warranty on a laptop, even now they're much cheaper than the last time I bought one, 2 1/2 years ago.

And while I may be biased, I would suggest that some other retailers are to be avoided if you have any need for after sales support.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - bartycrouch
Very true. Properly used for the right purchases and not consumables they can provide good customer support that anyone, even IT professionals can benefit from.

I bought a Toshiba Centrino laptop from PC world and it had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. Took it back next day and got a replacement and an apology for my wasted time in 15 minutes without any problems.
Changing from Desktop to Laptop - frostbite
I have a good word for PC World.

Don't think it would be allowed on here, though.
Napster Returns - Dynamic Dave

Not so much a computer question, but a note to say that Napster is back.

Napster has launched its legal music download service in the UK.

Music lovers have the choice of paying a monthly subscription, or a pay per listen service, called Napster Light.

Napster also said it was offering a free week-long trial of the full service.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3728777.stm

www.napster.co.uk

MS outlook - peterb
MS Outlook has taken to deleting incoming e-mails once one has replied to them (although a copy appears in the sent reply).

How does one stop this? I've looked under Tools/Options and couldn't see anything.

We're running Outlook 2002 (not Express).

Thanks in advance for help.
A problem with XP - Robin
I have recently installed WIndows XP on my home PC after running 98SE for ages. Last night I tried to install an educational program for my son - Noddy Goes to School. The program installs OK but will not run. It looks like it needs to read data from the CD but cannot find the CD drive. When the program runs it tells me it cannot find xxx/Harddisk1/dmr and asks me to insert the CD. (I cannot remember what the xxx is) I have set the options on XP to run this program in Win98 mode (it is a fairly old game but I have only just bought it, new). My PC has a hard disk divided into 2 (C and D), a reader for photocards (Drive E) and 2 CD drives (F and G).

Any of the experts got any idea about this? Trying to expain to my 3 yr old that Daddy cannot fix his Noddy game is not the easiest of things. BTW: we never got round to trying it on the old 98SE setup.
A problem with XP - Peter D
Try e-mailing the maker of the game with the problem and see if they have a fix. Regards Peter
A problem with XP - Mark (RLBS)
A possibility;

One of the main differences between 98 & XP is the way it separates users and user accounts.

Do you use separate usernames for each user ?

Did you install the program from an administrators account ?

Are you trying to run it from a different username ?

Did you make it available to all users ?

Do all users use the same settings and desktop ?

On the other hand, when you were installing the game, did it give you the option to install the whole thing on disk as opposed to running it from the CD ?
A problem with XP - smokie
It is unlikely to help, but you can also right click the desktop icon and change the program's compatability mode (to Windows 98). This sets it up in an environment closer to Windows 98 than XP is, and was desgined especially to give older pre-XP programs a better chance of running.
A problem with XP - Civic8
It could depend on the cd disc drive program was installed on.
some times when a program is installed on G windows looks at master drive for program.if it doesn`t find in that drive it refuses to look elsewhere ie F. Try uninstalling program then reinstalling using master which should be F.assuming you havent already tried it.as a ps some programs wont work on XP.
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - frostbite
Wonder if anyone can help here? I installed two (different) virtual CDs ages ago - never used either and now find they have one thing in common - can't get rid of them!

I have tried the control panel (W98) route, it shows them gone until I open it next time. I really need to move the assigned letters to my real drives.
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - Civic8
once you uninstall in control panel system.restart windoz it should then auto allocate drive letters.
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - Dwight Van Driver
Go into Windows Explorer (My Computor) and see if you can pick up any files that refer to the items you wanted deleting and do so but be very careful as some files could be shared.

DVD
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - IanT
I presume by "Virtual CD" you mean you have a drive letter (eg X:) pointing to a hard drive folder containing a copy of a CDROM.

It's possible the drive letter is being allocated by a DOS command in C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT. Check this by opening the file with Notepad and look for either a "SUBST" command or a "NET USE" command.

If there aren't any, the drive letter is being allocated elsewhere. You might be able to get some idea where by careful use of MSCONFIG (Start -> Run -> Msconfig) to identify the point where the drive letters are being allocated.

Ian
Thanks for the suggestions so far chaps. Not achieved anything so far though. I did check autoexec and config etc., but nothing appropriate found. Will look in msconfig.

I think the problem may lie in the fact that these are software devices that windoze sees as hardware? I can find no trace of either of the programs that originally put them there, so 'uninstall' does not appear to be an option.

Main problem is that they have pushed the real devices below themselves alphabetically - if I could reverse that they wouldn't be so much of a problem.
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - smokie
I don't have a Win98 computer here to try, but I am sure there is a means of assigning a different drive letter to CD drives somewhere in Control Panel/Devices
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - Citroënian {P}
Hmmm.

If you're looking to re-assign drive letters in XP, right click on the My Computer icon, select manage then disk management in the bottom portion of the console that (eventually) appears. you can then right click on each drive and change assignments as you require.

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - smokie
That's it, IIRC correctly you go to Devices or Hardware, then expand the CD ROM section, then right click on a CD for Properties then one of the tabs gives you the ability to change drive letter.

Having said that, whatever it is that sets up your drives during boot up would probably reset that each time you started it up.

I think you really need to hunt around and find out what is loading them.

Again, my rusty memory tells me you can press F8 at boot time (just keep hitting it) then you can choose to step through your startup script line by line. I don't think you see everything that happens from the registry though, but there are standard registry keys which cause things to run at startup.

Try running regedit from your run command, then navigate through the registry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run. In the rigjht hand pane you may see some entries, one or more of which could be the startup program which is giving you virtual drives. (There may be other registry locations, but I think this is the main one). You can delete keys or values but BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO MODIFY THE REGISTRY ACCIDENTALLY AS IT CAN SEVERLY DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER'S HEALTH!

The other alternative is...

The virtual CD must be using a driver and programs. I reckon the driver might be in windows\system or thereabouts, and might be very hard to find (something.dll). But if you can locate the program files (look under the program files directory), or some likely suspects, then rename the whole directory then reboot and see if it still loads. If it does, rename the directory back, if it doesn't, delete the directory.
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - Civic8
This may be worth a look

www.virtualcd-online.com/vcd/apps/support/knowledg...0
hope it helps
Virtual CDs (uninstalling) - IanT
This won't help you directly, but it's interesting enough in its own right ...

Windows 98 First Edition.

A friend has had a drive W: showing on his Windows Explorer for a long time (years?), and has no idea where it came from. If he clicked on it, nothing happened, so he just ignored it.

So, following this thread, I thought I would have a closer look at his machine to see if I could pinpoint the problem. No such luck - today Drive W: has miraculously disappeared! But ...

If he clicks "My Computer" (that's in the left hand panel of Windows Explorer), his system now displays ...

A:
C:
D:
Printers
Control Panel
A system folder with a completely blank name
Dial-up Networking
Scheduled Tasks

If he clicks on "system folder with a completely blank name", nothing happens. And right-clicking or anything else doesn't give any further information. So I guess this is his old Drive W: in disguise.

If he clicks on "Desktop" (that's in the left hand panel of Windows Explorer"), it *should* show a number of system folders including "My Documents". But this "My Documents" system folder has disappeared. The normal C:\My Documents folder is OK.

And the only thing he can recall doing in the last couple of months different from normal is to defrag his hard disk, which hadn't been done for years (possibly never).

Ian
Thanks again for all suggestions. I trawled through the registry with regedit and removed all references, except one for each which weren't in a folder and wouldn't allow me to delete - probably the vital ones 'cos they're still there!

I have also been through every route I can think of in 'my computer' etc., so it looks like they are staying for now.
Outlook Express - Auto dialup - drbe
I run Outlook Express 6. When I have opened commercial emails, they almost invariably start an automatic dialup.

How can I stop this auto dialup?

Thanks Don drbe
Outlook Express - Auto dialup - Mark (RLBS)
From memory...

OE
Tools
Options
Connection
....ask before changing connection
Internet Settings
...never dial a connection

If its outlook express doing it and not some additional dialer that you've picked up.
Outlook Express - Auto dialup - Civic8
I think Mark is mixing the two.....ask before changing connection in OE.never dial a connection is in IE dont click that IE wont be able to connect.
No, Mark is not mixing the two, or at least not unintentionally. OE uses the internet connections as well as some parameters of its own - and the internet connections are accessable from with in the OE menus.

As for not being able to connect, of course it can. It just won't do it automatically. And, IMO, you should never allow automatic connection since you are just asking for a virus or random dialler to do it to you.
And, IMO, you should never allow automatic connection since
you are just asking for a virus or random dialler to do it

I agree.the settings I mentioned wont dial automaticaly you have to click to connect before it does.
and if set correctly will ask before dialing a different no.
I havent known a pc yet that will dial out with the setting never dial a connection always get modem not detected.sorry if wrong but thats my knowledge of them so far.
>>I havent known a pc yet that will dial out with the setting never dial a connection always get modem not detected

Sorry, but you are wrong. The two things are not connected. Modem not found is not a connection setting.

The only difference made by that setting is that you remove the ability for IE or OE to decide to connect and force it to wait for you to connect.
Sorry Mark you was right.have spent all day trying to find where I went wrong.sorted now.thanks.
Manipulating MPEG2 Files. - SteveH42
Does anyone on here have experience of manipulating MPEG2 files? I have a Tevion TV capture card, but nothing other that the software bundled with it appears able to edit the files produced. They will play OK in WMP, but when I try to load them in to other programs (such as Nandub) to do any editing I get an error. I\'m saving the files as MPEG2s with a fairly high bit-rate and in PAL resolution, 25 FPS.

Any suggestions on how I can edit these would be appreciated.
Remote tel. handsets & ADSL lines - malteser
I have just purchased a new Fax/Telephone/Answering machine which has a remote handset - very handy it is too.
I get an intermittent problem with an "overlay" of fax-like tones when using the handset. My ADSL line is always on and the supplied microfilter is in place.
I wonder if there is some possibility of interference with the radio wave transmissions from handset to fax macine, from my PC, which of necessity is in the same room.
Will it be worth trying TWO microfilters in line or will this affect the ADSL capabilities?
Roger in Spain
Remote tel. handsets & ADSL lines - Altea Ego
A microfilter is just a simple device to split frequencies (at about 11khz from memory). Some of the more cheap and nasty ones dont split they just cut off at that range from one port.

Dont use more than one microfilter on any device as they all attenuate the signal to some degree and you are increasing that attenuation with extra splitters.

1/ Try swapping microfilters around, you may have a cheap and nasty one and the problem will move with microfilter.
2/ Sure that every device plugged into the telephone line has a microfilter? dont forget burglar alarms, sky boxes, etc etc.
3/ Try a new microfilter
4/ It could just be poor design of your new device, may not even be adsl related interference, could be carrier wave interference on the remote device. BING! bulb goes off - have you got wireless lan? if so then.........................
Remote tel. handsets & ADSL lines - malteser
Thanks RF
I think it is, indeed a design fault with the handset. I have tried using it to dial with the PC telephone connection disconnected and the problem persists!
Burglar alarms,wireless LAN on a pension - come on! Sky I have, but only the minimum sub to get BBC & ITV & C4. and NO telephone connection to SKY - I'm in Spain!
Roger in Spain
Atomic clock auto updates - No Do$h
Does anyone know of a website that updates/refreshes frequently and is connected to the Rugby atomic clock?
Atomic clock auto updates - Mark (RLBS)
www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

Its a free download.

Why on earth do you want such accurate time ? You never arrive anywhere promptly.
Atomic clock auto updates - No Do$h
I like to arrive in style, not on time.

I realised this morning that my alarm clock, video, oven, central heating, PC, car and watch all display different times (yes, even allowing for the fact I can\'t view them all at the same time). Thought it might be nice to get something on the pc that will allow me to quickly check and maybe, just maybe, leave the house on time to catch the train without having to do a handbrake turn into the car park at 04:55
Atomic clock auto updates - frostbite
I use \'About Time\' the Cambridge Server. You can get it free at www.arachnoid.com
Atomic clock auto updates - Dynamic Dave
If you want something to update your pc clock whilst online, then I use Staylive 2000, which can be downloaded from www.gregorybraun.com . It's only approx a 95kb download. It's also handy in stopping your internet connection dropping during moments of inactivity - which in your case could be v.handy ;o)
Atomic clock auto updates - Altea Ego
Why go to all this bother? why not just click the "automatically synchronise with internet time server" on the windows clock?
ND,

Buy a decent watch rather than those Texaco £4.99 jobbies you normally wear.

Mark.
Why go to all this bother? why not just click the
"automatically synchronise with internet time server" on the windows clock?

Wow, you learn something new every day. I never knew WinXP had that feature. No wonder my pc clock is more accurate than when I was running WinME & Win98.

[sigh]
Atomic clock auto updates - smokie
It's quicker to look at Teletext than boot up the PC isn't it?
Thinking about it, both video's in our house auto update the time/date from the broadcasting signal.

Atomic clock auto updates - stackman
Easier still buy a Vauxhall Vectra. Mine used to set its clock using a signal received via the radio, apparantly linked to an atomic clock.

Then again downloading a free bit of software might be a tad less frustrating in the long run.

Actually Vauxhall clocks use the RDS signal from the radio stations. In the case of my local commercial radio station, it took them 3 days to put their clocks forward, thus everytime I tuned into them, my clock was an hour slow.

Media Player - NitroBurner

I've just upgraded to Media Player 9. It'll play most, but not all video clips & mpegs, but refuses to play mp3s...

A dialogue box comes up saying "media player has encountered an unknown error"

If I click on "Web Help", it gives an error code - C0011CD.

I haven't a clue what to do - HELP!

Thanx, hoping some genius out there can come up with something.
Media Player - IanT
A fix for this fault is available for download from Microsoft:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;8...p

According to Microsoft it is because "the Windows Media Player 9 Series does not support MP3 files that have unsynchronized ID3v2 headers. Earlier versions of the Media Player ignore the header if it is unsynchronized".

Ian
Media Player - THe Growler
I had exactly the self-same problem. Many thanks for that.
Media Player - NitroBurner
Oh WITS! (what is the script) - Thanks for the help Ian, but it still don't work.....

Downloaded the file, double clicked it only to see a msg saying update already installed...

Wished I'd just stuck with the old version of MP.....
'seehits' counter - borasport20
A long shot, but is anybody in the Backroom using the 'seehits' hit counter, and are they having any problems with it ?

Using MSN through a Firewall - arnold2
MSN issue ...

My company has a very locked-down hardware firewall; I have managed to get Yahoo Messenger to work in Mac OS X using a program called Fire, but can't get MSN to work, either with Microsofts' own or Fire (which can access AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc). Anyone any ideas how to get around the firewall - I have Fire accessing Yahoo through Port 80... I am thinking if I can access MSN using a 'normal' Port, raher than the default 1863. No, I can't get them to open 1863 !
Using MSN through a Firewall - Baskerville
Is it wise to be the one who circumvents your employer's security systems without authorization? If the network gets hacked you will be right in the frame. This is akin to having your own key cut. If the building is then burgled and it's known you have a key, guess whose cubicle will be full of men in blue uniforms.
Using MSN through a Firewall - just a bloke
MSN issue ...
My company has a very locked-down hardware firewall; I have managed
to get Yahoo Messenger to work in Mac OS X using
a program called Fire, but can't get MSN to work, either
with Microsofts' own or Fire (which can access AIM, Yahoo, MSN
etc). Anyone any ideas how to get around the firewall
- I have Fire accessing Yahoo through Port 80... I am
thinking if I can access MSN using a 'normal' Port, raher
than the default 1863. No, I can't get them to open
1863 !

contary to popular belief IT network people don't lock these ports for fun or to spoil your online chatting. They do it because these IM ports are often used to penetrate otherwise tight private networks.
I would think very carefully about circumventing them if I were you, you would almost certainly be breaking the acceptable use policy for your company.
Using MSN through a Firewall - Mark (RLBS)
If you worked in my organisation you would be seriously limiting your career by deliberately bypassing security arrangements. You\'d still have a career direction, it just wouldn\'t be up.

If you have a business need for such facilities, then you should be able to justify access. If you do not have a business need then I see no reason why you should have the access.

I would read your Ps&Ps very carefully and if they\'re anything like ours, I would then suggest that you stopped using Yahoo Messenger pdq as well since you\'ll probably find that mis-use is dismissable.

As was said, these facilities are not blocked for the hell of it. Keeping a network secure and virus/worm free these days is hard enough without someone on the inside deliberately trying to bypass.

M.
Using MSN through a Firewall - Altea Ego
Your only hope is to get in touch with the Network admins, and request the name and port of the proxy server. This will probably mean you will need a business case to provide, and they may refuse anyway as IM's (thats instant messengers) do provide security loopholes and breaches and are banned in some companies.

Be warned if you have bypassed company netwrok policies and they have a good network security team they will run regular port scans to see whats open......
Using MSN through a Firewall - arnold2
valid points - and MSN does seem to have some security issues (although Windoze based) - anyway, on closer inspection the problem lies in that MSN requires information to be sent BACK through the Firewall too .....
Using MSN through a Firewall - Mark (RLBS)
MSN acts as a server, hence the major issues with it. Ditto, btw, Yahoo Messenger.
Secure Site alert question - Robin
For the last couple of days I have noticed that whenever I start an HJ session I get the You are about to enter a secure site warning. This happens with IE at my work bit not with Opera at home (as far as I can remember)

Not a problem at all, more a bit of curiosity - anyone know why it is happening?
Secure Site alert question - Bromptonaut
Same issue. Get it at home on 98SE and IE6, but not so far at work NT/IE5.5.
Secure Site alert question - L'escargot
For the last couple of days I have noticed that whenever
I start an HJ session I get the You are about
to enter a secure site warning. This happens with IE at
my work bit not with Opera at home (as far as
I can remember)
Not a problem at all, more a bit of curiosity -
anyone know why it is happening?

I get this as well at the start of ~ and also frequently as I negotiate round ~ the HJ website. At the bottom of the screen it says something like ?(2 items remaining) Downloading picture multi.rmuk.co.uk./RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/ww...n? I can?t see the rest because it?s obscured by the progress box that has the green squares in it. I?m not knowingly doing anything to initiate this chain of events. The "remaining 2 items" are never downloaded. If I click on OK in the Security Alert pop-up, everything temporarily reverts to normal , but it is nevertheless mildly annoying. I?m loath to check the box ?In the future, do not show this warning?. What?s the answer to this problem? (Hope I?m not displaying my computer-illiteracy too much
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.

Correction. it says:-

Downloading picture multi1.rmuk.co.uk./RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/w...n..........
--
For the last couple of days I have noticed that whenever
I start an HJ session I get the You are about
to enter a secure site warning. This happens with IE at
my work bit not with Opera at home (as far as
I can remember)
Not a problem at all, more a bit of curiosity -
anyone know why it is happening?

Subject to confirmation, I've stopped it happening to me by blocking the cookies of the website www.rmuk.co.uk
--
DVD writer woes - Obsolete
I recently bought a Philips 8x DVD writer and 10 Packard Bell 2.5x +RW DVD blanks from PC World. I was able to write a DVD using the Philips +RW blank supplied with the writer, but I cannot do the same with a Packard Bell blank: some files are corrupted. Anyone else had the same experience? Anyone know for sure my legal position? I'm taking the disks back to get a refund on the grounds that the disks (or writer) are not fit for the intended purpose. They cost almost £20. (Not trivial.) If they refuse to refund the disks, I'll ask for a refund on the writer. A colleague was not keen on Packard Bell blanks, seeming to think they are not the best. Thanks.
DVD writer woes - Marky Mark
Could be down to the dye used on the disk. Some burners are very fussy on the disc/dye combo others (eg Pioneer) seem to handle anything thrown at them.

Can't comment on the Packard Bell discs (they are surely rebranded riteks or similiar) but I get all my cd/dvd supplies from www.svp.co.uk. Superb service & prices.

MM
DVD writer woes - Dynamic Dave
I've had no sucess with Packard Bell DVD-R's either. The ones I bought are burn speed 1x. My DVD re-writer drive insists on burning at a min speed of 2x. It seems that Dixon's, PC World and other chains in the DSG group always have the Packard Bell discs on some kind of discount offer. I'm not falling for that trick any more.

I've now got a supply of Memorex DVD-R's from Poundland. No probs with them.

WH Smith occasionally do a "buy one, get one free" offer on Memorex DVD-R's and DVD-RW's as well.

DVD writer woes - Obsolete
DD: Thanks. I'll be sticking to decent brands from now on. The friendly assistant at PC World was not surprised Packard Bell disks would not burn and suggested a refund or exchange. I got some Imation and they work fine. I'll look out for the WH Smith offer. PB disks must be low grade.

On a related note, a colleague at work bought 100 cheap CD disks, and found that they delaminated after a few months.
Email question - Chris75
Is it possible to redirect email sent to one address to another address.

For example,can I redirect all emails sent to me at my work address xx@btwhatever.com to xx@webmailaccount.com

I use Outlook (windows XP) but can't find anything in the help section.

Regards, Chris
Email question - Altea Ego
Re direction needs to be done by an email server, so this needs to be set up with your isp or your email server provider.

The only thing you can do on your client, is auto forward, and this means the client (ie your pc) has to log on, receieve, and resend.
Email question - Chris75
Thanks RF.

I have had a quick look at the 'Rules' section.

I have brodband, so if the computer is left on with Outlook checking for messages every so often, can I just set up an auto forward rule?
Email question - Altea Ego
In principle that sounds like it would work.
Email question - DavidHM
Does your webmail client allow you to pick up POP e-mails? Most do. If so, you could simply do nothing with your ISP and set the webmail client to read all your accounts at once.

For instance, my Yahoo! account, which I rarely use for composing mail, allows me to pick up my main e-mail, which I can then reply to. The webmail is then set up so anybody automatically hitting reply should go back to the main account, although this would not be an issue for you.
Email question - Chris75
DavidHM, My webmail account is with Yahoo (bt yahoo?), I will have a look into this.

Thanks, Chris