Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - HotTowelSir
Typically 6 weeks after the warranty expires (nothing went wrong in the warranty period) the window mechanism failed on the passenger door.

VW replaced the broken plastic bracket that holds the glass with a metal bracket (excelllent) and charged me the best part of £140 for the privelidge.

Surely this is a design fault, does anybody think that it is worth pursuing with VAG customer service?
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - Peterco
Had exactly the same problem with my Golf. Plastic brakets broke, but VW parts said that they dont just sell the brakets, and I would have to replace the whole regulator. Cost me about 60 quid. Was told at the time that it was quite a common fault.
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - Aprilia
Yes, it is a design fault - I think they re-designed the part so it doesn't break now. Compensation is a bit unlikely.
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - Dave N
They may have fixed that part, but they've just sent out a TSB for the winder on later Ibizas and Polos. The cable gets all caught up in the plastic wheel that drives it from the motor.

Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - daryld
Matt,

Complain to VW customer services. Only those customers who are firm, polite and persistent get what they want. Expect to get the usual 'go away' letters at first (standard practice) but present your case well and you WILL receive something.

I had a complaint against another manufacturer and got all the excuses?I never got angry but kept re-iterating my point of view. I got a 4-figure settlement in the end.

It is the customer who defines the quality of the car they bought. People should complain more to improve the quality of the good they buy.

Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - AR-CoolC
Autoglass and Carglass in Europe do have the replacement plastic brackets, these are an aftermarket only part, and are conciderably cheaper than a whole door cassette.

yes I am conected to the company
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - Captain Alex Zippy O' Toole
This has failed twice now on a friend's Mk4 Golf, first time was under warranty, second time was out of warranty and cost her £140 (seems to be a standard charge.....).

Went on my Ibiza Cupra as well, fortunately under warranty.

Clear design fault, scandalous that VW/SEAT/Audi (it happens to the TT as well) don't fix it free of charge.
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - elekie&a/c doctor
D'ont forget the Beetle ,same problem,similar part (but not the same as Golf)and 3 times the price!!!
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - golf747
This is a common Golf problem. In the USA they now give a 7 year warranty on the window regulators. As previously posted there is a redesigned metal clip that VW should supply, much cheaper than the whole regulator. My car was 3 months out of waranty but after a call to VW customer services (only took one call, mention the extended warranty in the states etc) it was repaired under warranty. For more info try this great MKIV site, do a search on window regulators, will give you pictures etc of the offending part etc.

www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - skank
Tried using the 7 year extended warranty point, found this out myself, no luck at all. I've sent off an actual copy of the service circular they issued for this problem (to customer services) and threatened legal action. Anyone want to back me up? :-)
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - Attila
Hi there,

My car is out of warranty, but I've managed to get a 50% contributiuon from VW for the repair to the window regulator. However, I believe this is unsatisfactory, and I am about to issue a formal claim form for 100% compensation. The defect is inherent in Golfs manufactured around the time mine was (2002). Under the Sale of Goods Act, a second hand purchaser (as I am) needs to prove that the fault was inherent at the time of the car's original purchase. I believe my case is very strong, particularly in light of the settlement for this problem in the States.
I would be grateful if you could let me have a look at the service circular you refer to.

Thanks.
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - George Porge
cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-98-04-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-R...m

Genuine parts and uprated too
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - kal
HI I live and work in middle east, my BMW 3 series has gone through about 10 window regulators, its blamed on the heat, but I reckon its the same plastic rubbish that is fitted to your car is also fitted to my car, I also reckon its an inherent design fault. All this plastic rubbbish is used so that car weight can be kept down. Its probably the same supplier.
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - madf
Where is Stuart when you want him? (according to him VW are 100% fault free:-)
madf
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - George Porge
What car is 100% fault free? Ans none. All cars have common failures. My MK4 has had 1 MAF and 1 brake light switch. Does that make it a liability?
Golf Mk 4 Window Failure - Editor
the passenger window on my mk3 won't operate from the driver's side control. Will from passenger's. I've replaced the driver's side switch unit. No effect. What to look at next please people?
--
www.bayingbasset.com