New-style registrations - Andrew-T
When our new system reached about xx03xxx, it seemed to me that there were an awful lot of X and Z in the last three positions, which we are told are 'random'. A brief survey on the M6 suggested that X and Z appeared about 50% more than the expected 1-in-8 probability. Anyone else noticed this? And if it is genuine, why?
New-style registrations - BB
I noticed this, but specifically on renault Meganes!
SWMBO has a O3 reg car with a Z as a random letter, so I have been looking out for them.

I would say that approx. 80% of all the Meganes I have seen have a Z in the last three letters. Weird.
New-style registrations - Miller
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but are there now more new style e.g 51 reg onwards cars registered than old style ones?
New-style registrations - robZilla
Don't know if this is true across the board but when a friend of mine bought a new bike last year, he was allowed to choose the registration from a large pool. Guess a lot of people like the letters X and Z and are choosing registration numbers that contain these letters?
New-style registrations - Dwight Van Driver
Very hard to make a prat-plate up with Z/Y's. Wonder if DVLA are holding back on the useful combinations to make a bob or two later??????

DVD
New-style registrations - terryb
Are you allowed to choose the last 3 letters (at a price)?

I ask because there's a surprising number of SUEs and DONs etc - far too many to be random.

My favourite so far is MRS I CAN - obviously a very capable wife and mother!

--
Terry

"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel"
New-style registrations - just a bloke
Are you allowed to choose the last 3 letters (at a
price)?
I ask because there's a surprising number of SUEs and DONs
etc - far too many to be random.
My favourite so far is MRS I CAN - obviously a
very capable wife and mother!
--
Terry
"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel"

You can in fact choose all the letters if you wish, as with all "cherished" plates you cannot make the car appear younger.

I bought a "personalised plate" for Mrs JaB's 147
It has both our initials on it..
IE "jb 52 jab"
;-) If you see what I mean, I bought it when the car was 1st registered and it cost the princely sum of £500.

I think you have to be lucky with the 1st 2 letters tho' because they represent the registering regions

JaB
New-style registrations - Mad Maxy
500 quid? WAs it worth it JAB? You could have had a real bit of motoring history with an old-style classic plate for that.

Re MRS I CAN (see Terry B's post), it sounds like a desperate statement from a frustrated husband...
New-style registrations - patently
Same goes for H15 NAG, I think. After seeing that it struck me that spouses really ought to check their cars more often, especially if their other half seems to get lots of letters from Swansea.
New-style registrations - just a bloke
500 quid? WAs it worth it JAB? You could have had
a real bit of motoring history with an old-style classic plate
for that.
Re MRS I CAN (see Terry B's post), it sounds like
a desperate statement from a frustrated husband...

Well if you define worth it as the smile and delight on Mrs JaB's face when she found out as worth it... then for me, yes it was ;-)

New-style registrations - pdc {P}
I got AKxxANG for my girlfriend and it was well worth the cost as she is really chuffed with it. Not only does she have the shortened form of her name in there, AK are also her initials, so it's twice as special to her.
New-style registrations - JohnM{P}
It's a beautiful day, so a quick look around our car park turned up 29 cars with X or Z in the last 3 positions from the first 100 cars with new type plates. This is a bit higher than the 23% expected, but I wasn't going to count more to get a larger sample as my head would have got sunburnt...