Main Dealer Rip Off - Tristan Chaize
I had a sticking piston on a dual piston front brake. I booked it in to a Toyota main dealer to have the piston freed off and new pads. i was told that they had tried to free it but failed, and I needed a new caliper £358 + VAT, (which was not in stock) new discs £240 + VAT the pair, and new front pads £68 + VAT Plus labour. ie well over £800 in all.
I took the car home and then had a go myself and put a "VICEGRIP" (much better than a MOLE) on the piston and hammered gently. it immediately began to turn. In no time it was completely free and would go back in by hand. I bought some aftermarket pads for £22 inc VAT, which will only last half as long but so what.
I feel as if I've just made £778. I think I will go out to dinner.
Re: Main Dealer Rip Off - Roger Keene
Well done!

I feel sorry for those motorists who have no mechanical knowledge and trust these large outfits.
For those who cannot DIY, it pays to shop around and find a small business (best of all recommended) where you can build up a relationship and even be able to speak to the person who has done the work--not usually an option at Main Dealers.