On the cadge-maps - Rita
I have recently started to research my family history (both maternal and paternal). So far the usual illegitimacies, orphanages, workhouses etc have surfaced. Most of the immediate family emanated from South East London and, prior to that, Ireland.

I am interested in obtaining the Victorian equivalent of a London A to Z or any other type of street maps particularly of South East and the East End of London, Anything that covers from the mid 1800's to the mid-1900's would be wonderful. I can then track the families' various residences.

Someone out there just might have said street map curling up in the garden shed so if anyone can assist with advice or supply I would be most grateful.

Rita
On the cadge-maps - Altea Ego
this is where the net comes in handy. Extensive use of google will help try a search like +uk +"old maps" one good hit looks like www.old-maps.co.uk/
On the cadge-maps - Mike L
Rita
Another web site for you to try is www.ic-maps.co.uk/ which deals in old maps from 1700's to 1900's.

Last time I looked , they had a number of county maps for Kent.

Mike L
On the cadge-maps - borasport20
or
www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/

On the cadge-maps - helicopter
Go on to www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk and you can view old maps for any area of the UK you want.
On the cadge-maps - Jonathan {p}
You can buy the old maps from libraries and places like waterstones and hmso.

Not sure about london, but first maps will be around 1850 with revisions every 25-50 years since.
On the cadge-maps - Jonathan {p}
Forgot...

Your local council should have records of the old maps which they should be able to provide to you (for a charge).
On the cadge-maps - PhilW
And also try your local library which may well have "White's" directories (there are others also) which are 18th & 19th century equivalent of the phone book. They list (annually) everyone who lives on every street - number of house and occupants. They are brilliant if you can find them.
On the cadge-maps - PhilW
P.S. I think they stopped being published in the '50s or '60s when most people started getting phones and also Yellow Pages started.
On the cadge-maps - Rita
Boys, as usual you have turned up trumps. Many thanks to y'all.

Rita