HJ says time to change car? - enr1
I noticed HJ recommended changing a 60k miles/5 yr old golf in Sat Telegraph, due to higher repair costs.

What do backroomers think?

My golf is just about 5yrs old with 40k on the clock. I'm getting told to change it by the other half. However given that we've owned it since new and it has had no problems what-so-ever I am minded to keep it another few years.

When is the best time to change a new car - is there a magic formula?

Thanks
HJ says time to change car? - Aprilia
No magic formula.

If the car you own is a proven reliable vehicle and meets your needs then there is no reason to change it.

My father had many years in the motor trade and would often be asked similar questions by friends relatives. His usual reply was that the cheapest and best car is usually the one you already own. If there is a "major" problem with it, or your needs have changed, then get a different car.
Selling at a particular age/mileage is illogical.
HJ says time to change car? - philipb
You have two options
1. Keep the car to the bitter end and hope you stay lucky
2. Accept the other half's offer of a newer car with all the latest toys and sell your Golf while it is still reasonably young and attractive. This way, you are a fair way to your next motor which reduces your cost-to-change no end.

The 9 year old vs new Espace crash test on Channel 5 certainly convinced me of the benefits of driving a newer car. Tiff Needell felt that you should beg borrow or steal (!) to drive a 4 or 5-star NCAP rated car. Certainly a factor to consider.
HJ says time to change car? - Andrew-T
You have to balance the advantages of a high NCAP rating (which you are unlikely to enjoy) against the problems of a state-of-the-art set of dodgy electronic gizmos. Stick with the car you like/can rely on, get shot when the problems develop.
HJ says time to change car? - No Do$h
I'm frequently amused by this idea that you can change your car at will when the problems develop.

Who buys all these faulty cars? As a rule, don't you have to fix them before you sell them?
ND - when I wrote 'problems develop' I meant frequently, such as batteries, clutch cables, wheel bearings, failing at 3-monthly intervals, suggesting that the car is turning into a money sink. As my nearly-5-year-old still needs nothing more than 6K services and normal consumables, I intend to keep it until the above 'problems develop'.
You have two options
1. Keep the car to the bitter end and hope
you stay lucky
2. Accept the other half's offer of a newer car
with all the latest toys and sell your Golf while it
is still reasonably young and attractive. This way, you are
a fair way to your next motor which reduces your cost-to-change
no end.

Blimey, you're a car dealer's dream! 'Reducing cost to change'..?
At five years old the Golf's depreciation curve is beginning to plateau. 40k is a modest mileage and since he doesn't own one of the latest VAG products ('with all the latest toys', but unreliable) it is likely to continue to give good service for a few more years.
Keep the car for another couple of years and it won't be worth a lot less than it is now; in fact it will probably be very easy to sell (as a relatively cheap one-owner car with a proper history it will be snapped up privately).
HJ says time to change car? - MichaelR
I change my car when I get bored with my existing car.

I'd imagine virtually all people who see cars as something more than just a convenient way of getting from A to B feel the same way.
HJ says time to change car? - enr1
2. Accept the other half's offer of a newer car
with all the latest toys and sell your Golf while it
is still reasonably young and attractive. This way, you are
a fair way to your next motor which reduces your cost-to-change
no end.

I think the 'cheapest' way to reduce the cost-to-change is to put the depreciation amount into a bank account every year (easily said I know!). You don't want to buy a new car and then find after 10 years of ownership (when it is worth £0) you have to stump up the equivalent of £15k!

HJ says time to change car? - runboy
With all this talk of depreciation and putting money aside each year, is there any benefit in doing a private lease for 36 months?.

My thinking is that you pay for the depreciation each month (as well as the car) and then you can change it every 3 years.

Does the math work out for this method of car driving?
HJ says time to change car? - patently
Oh yes - for the leasing company.

It must do, else they wouldn't offer the lease.
HJ says time to change car? - Geffers
I usually share his view but I'm not sure that he has it right over this. If you are pleased with your car, and it has been trouble-free since new, it makes more sense to hang on to it. If and when it does goes sick, it will probably be cheaper to fix it than change it.
My view is that the used car market prices in the expected problems of an older car - but works on the weighted average for that model.

Thus, if you know you have a better than average example, it will be worth more to you than to a buyer because they don't know that (& won't believe you if you tell them!). So, hypothetically, if it were an auction you'd buy it back because your knowledge would encourage you to a higher price.

Likewise, if you know it's been thrashed or is sometimes making a funny noise, in the auction you'd let it go.

So, as Geffers says, if you like it and its running well, keep it. The cost to change is always that - a cost.
I'd have thought that everyone on this forum was pretty much familiar with the typical depreciation curve; i.e. a car loses anything from 35-55% of its new value during the first couple of years. Thereafter the curve flattens out and the yearly loss becomes less and less.

Anytime you buy a new car you take a hit for those first couple of years. In the case of some models (e.g. petrol Mondeos) it seems like you lose 50% in the first six months!. But then I guess no one pays list price for a Mondeo......

If a car is reliable at 5 years (and has been well looked after) I see no reason for major problems to occur. 40k is a very modest mileage for a modern car - it should give many years of good service yet.
HJ says time to change car? - machika
I have asked myself a similar question about our Xantia 1.9 TD for many years now and have taken quite a few test drives in various new cars along the way. I have always asked myself the question:- is the new car £x000 better than the Xantia? The answer has always been no.

The Xantia is 10 years old now, and worth very little, except as a second car for myself and my wife. It remains a nice car to drive - decent handling, good ride, reasonably quiet and refined. I have never come across a car with a better gear change and the clutch is one of the best I have ever experienced. It is also totally reliable.

As for allowing £40 per month for repairs, well if I was paying that amount, it would definitely be gone. I assume this amount is exclusive of standard service costs.
HJ says time to change car? - Mapmaker
DavidHM wrote 'Don't forget that the Golf is the exception, rather than the rule... [when it comes to depreciation]', yet HJ said that the Mk IV Golf was a good one to trade in owing to reliability issues with increasing age.

Therefore, given:

a) the annual cost over the next 5 years of a new Golf compared to an old Golf,
b) the particular unreliability of the Mk IV, and
c) the increased residual value at 5 years, trading off the back of historic reliability of the Golf,

it looks like time to change. If I could drive a brand new car for only £800 - anticipated repair costs on the old one, I'd change immediately.

I read in today's Indie that the Mk.5 Golf is selling like the proverbial lead balloon?
I read in today's Indie that the Mk.5 Golf is selling
like the proverbial lead balloon?

www.sniffpetrol.com/adgolf.jpg offers an explanation. The Golf has lost its "premium" image, sadly (for VW).
HJ says time to change car? - P 2501
If a car is reliable at 5 years (and has been well looked after) I see no reason for major problems to occur. 40k is a very modest mileage for a modern car - it should give many years of good service yet.

Spot on i think Aprilia. Five years old is the age i normally buy at! At 40K the car has been nowhere, so if the history is known there is plenty of life left in it.
HJ says time to change car? - tunacat
So, effectively, folk are saying that if bought new, this ?bastion of quality? Golf costing £15k is at the end of its *economic* life after it?s done just 40k miles or is 5 years old?

And this one-owner, regularly serviced VW is now set to start costing £480 a year in unscheduled repairs? (DavidHM?s figures)

What kind of shoddy carp product is this?!

No wonder I settled on making my ?new? cars be 5 year old 50k miler Japanese models!

But then except for moments of rashness, I?m a tightwad. A relative of mine used to buy a new car every 3 years, after having done only about 18k miles? Must have cost her a fortune!

On a more constructive note, an alternative ?not as fast a treadmill to be having to keep up with? approach could be: Keep the Golf another 2 years, then trade it in for a 2-year old Golf mkV, shifting the ownership stint to the 2-7 years, 20-70k miles phase.

HJ says time to change car? - P 2501
you don't sound like a tightwad to me tunacat! i think you just have a bit more financial sense than some others...
HJ says time to change car? - DavidHM
As for the £40 a month estimate... it's more of a guesstimate and has very little to do with the particular care. It doesn't simply include unscheduled repairs but also scheduled or at least expected things like cam belts, brake discs and exhausts, which you can mainly ignore for the first 40k miles nad five years. After that, however...

(Incidentally my father bought a 4 year old Rover with 18k miles on the clock. Over the four years that he had it, excluding scheduled servicing, it cost him £80 a month in repairs, albeit on a slightly higher mileage than this. Three exhausts, a cam belt, a clutch and a gearbox didn't help).
3 exhausts in 4 years.....

Oh and the interest calculation is 2.4% (after 40% tax, assuming 4% interest), on 9k (as it is the difference between the old & the new car, so £216 per annum. Unless you're on finance, in which case it is three times that! AT which point you should put a cold towel over your head & look for an old banger on eBay.
HJ says time to change car? - tunacat
Oh, I don't claim to have any financial sense!

How can you ignore things which are expected or scheduled?
The last brand new car I had needed new discs and pads all round before 30k miles, the car after that was 2 yrs and 17k miles old, needed a scheduled cambelt change at 36k, unscheduled discs and pads all round, and a new exhaust, before 50k. Another car bought at 49k went to 86k without consuming anything other than 2 front tyres, IIRC.

Cambelts and consumables can need paying for during any period of ownership, unless you're very canny (or lucky) with the times you buy and sell.

Perhaps, when buying new, one should always remember to have a look at Hyundai's 5 year warranty before making the final decision?
My point is that you should get 5 years/40k out of a cambelt on most cars, if not much more. An exhaust is probably 50:50 as to whether it will last that long, unless it's attached to my father's old Rover. Pads will probably need one replacement in the first 40k but the discs should still be going strong.

Over the next 40k though, new discs, an exhaust, a cambelt, and quite possibly shock absorbers and/or a clutch will be necessary. None of those being replaced on a six year old, 50k car, would be considered a sign of unreliability, but they are unlikely to fail much before that either. That's why, in most cases, you can more or less ignore them.

As for interest - on savings, it's compounded, don't forget - so should be £245 p.a. average on £9k after tax (Intelligent Finance 4.3%, non-ISA). Interest on a loan at 5.9% APR would be £1,385.40 - or £277 pa average. The reason this is not so much higher is that the loan balance reduces over time and thus so does the interest charged.
And by switching to diesel you can ignore exhaust replacement as well. I don't think I have done anything to an exhaust for over ten years now. However wife's 2000W Clio is a petrol ..
£216 v £245 - materially correct. the figures were made up anyway!

As for being on finance, it depends on how you do your finance! Chances are that you'll end up needing a bigger mortgage or other loan for something else as a result of having the car, so I disagree strongly that you should reduce that (on grounds of repayment) if looking for a direct comparison. (If you do reduce it, then perhaps you should reduce the interest on savings similarly on the grounds that you'd end up saving the money anyway.)

The reducing balance works this way, as in:

Month 1 - Paid £175; Repayment £130; Interest £45; Balance £8870
Month 2 - Paid £175; Repayment £131.40 Interest £43.40 Balance £8738.60

And so on...

That is why the total interest repaid is rather less than 30% of the principal. Of course, as the bank receives the repayment on the loan, it is then free to lend it elsewhere.
Yes indeed. Distinctly uncertain that you're comparing like with like though. People hwo live their life on credit invariably end up borrowing new money as quickly as their old loan is repaid. Whilst it may not be a direct cost of having a new car, it is likely to be a cost that results from having a new car.