Vaux Vectra 1.8LS 1998 - mark.adams
Hi,
Recently bought a vectra estate and have a couple of questions.
When starting from cold, theres a noise from the engine compartment, sounds like a pump, quite noisy, runs for about a minute or so, only from cold, doesn't do it from subsequent restarts. Also the radiator fan comes on rather more than i thought it should, even when the engine doesn't seem to be particularly hot.
Should i be worried about the pump noise?
What should i check for regards the radiator fan, (radiator water level is fine)?

Thanks.
Vaux Vectra 1.8LS 1998 - prm
Mark, the air pump is there for emission purposes it heats the cat up quicker from cold, quite normal, although the later 1.8s did away with them. As for the fan should come on when temp reaches 100 degrees i think, and its on all the time if aircon is on. If you have doubts get the fan relay checked.
Vaux Vectra 1.8LS 1998 - Dynamic Dave
As for the fan should come on when temp reaches 100 degrees i think....

On my Vectra the fan kicks in at around the 90 deg C.
and its on all the time if aircon is on.

Again, on my Vectra, (and also my Fathers Astra) the fan doesn't run all the time the air con is on. It switches on and off more often, but it's not on all the time.

Vaux Vectra 1.8LS 1998 - mark.adams
Thanks,
The air pump thing was something i didn't know about.
I have had vauxhalls for ever, always as company cars, so never older than 4 yrs, but now i have my own, an estate, room for the kids and all their junk...
Obviously i will drive this a lot less harder than i ever did the company cars and i will listen for anything that doesn't sound right, as it costs me money now...
The cambelt was changed for me when i bought it, does the water pump get changed as a matter of course at that time, or only if you're concerned about it, just wondering if the water pump is pumping poorly, hence the radiator fan coming on...
Doesn't have air-con by the way, it's a basic 1.8LS Est.
Vaux Vectra 1.8LS 1998 - Dynamic Dave
The cambelt was changed for me when i bought it, does
the water pump get changed as a matter of course at
that time, or only if you're concerned about it,

The garage I use generally ask and recommend a waterpump change on 2nd cambelt change, but I've never heard of any garage actually changing it unless specified by the customer.

Was the cambelt tensioner and pulleys changed at the same time as the belt?

Vaux Vectra 1.8LS 1998 - prm
DD, your right, mine does kick in at 90 degrees i've just had a look, and thanks for letting me know the fans not on all the time with a/c on.