Modern batteries just die? - Cymro Arall
A recent experience (in France) prompts this query to you experts out there. The vehicle (a VW motor home, 2.5 tdi) is 6 years old; had its original battery; electrolyte level was regularly and frequently checked (I'm of that generation!); vehicle normally taken for a 50+ mile run every 3 weeks (minimum) if not otherwise used. Never a problem with starting. Go on hols; drive 300 miles. Stop in rural layby. Try to restart: total death! Fortunately local garage comes out to jump start; alternator ok (phew!); battery replaced. Easy.

But some questions asrise, on which I'd welcome comments:

1. Bar chat suggests that modern batteries give no death rattles (such as hestitant starting etc, as used to happen with earlier generation batteries) but are simply fine one moment yet utterly dead the next. Is this really now the case, or was I unlucky?

2. If it is the case, then surely as consumers we need to press manufacturers for a warning? If it is the case, then it's retrograde (and can be mighty inconvenient) to have a battery conk out with zero warning. It can't be beyond the wit of man to devise some indicator of the onset of terminal [no pun intended] battery weakness?

Comments welcome!

Thanks.
Modern batteries just die? - Civic8
I have only known a couple of batteries to fail.but warning has been on the ignition light ie dimley lit whilst driving.I would put that down to alternator problem rather than battery.as you had no warning.I would suspect if alternator failing was drawing current from battery in order to run the motor untill flat.
Modern batteries just die? - Altea Ego
Yes, it seems that sometimes modern batteries just, well die. As you say instant death.

The nature of the failure usually means there is no way of being able to provide a warning.
Modern batteries just die? - Roberson
Hi,

That's a strange problem, for a battery just to die without warning. As you say, slow starting is usually the first sign of a dead one. Mine is currently dieing, as it has a real problem trying to hold a charge any longer than 4 days, and trying to start after 24 hours produces lethargic cranking. As I haven't heard of this before (but I?m no mechanic and not that old to have great experience) I would say you were just unlucky, but there is bound to be an explanation.

Some newer batteries have a "condition" indicator installed, whereby it turns red when the battery is in a poor state. My dads 1998 Laguna has this (original battery) but I don't think its a common feature to many batteries and of the ones I have looked at in the shops, none of these have them either.

Hope this helps

Roberson
Modern batteries just die? - frostbite
Unfortunately I can confirm from recent experience that, yes, they do just die.

OK, the car had stood for 3 days but there was no prior indication of a failing unit - I just discovered the car unlocked and not even enough for a dash light when I turned the key.
Modern batteries just die? - Singer-G
The battery on my Mondeo went very suddenly without warning. The car was 6 years old and still on its original battery, so I didn't mind having to replace it. Like you, I was suprised to get no warning.
Modern batteries just die? - madf
My experience on Audis and BMW and Peugeit 106 diesel was slow death. Losing charge and going flat if not used for a week or driven short distances at night in winter without allowing the battery to recharge.

So far SWMBO's Peugot has had a Halfords battry which has lasted for 6 years.. although it has been replaced foc under warranty once for slow death problems:-)

madf

Modern batteries just die? - Cliff Pope
There is another factor causing battery failure that no one has mentioned, and that is physical damage inside. It is possible for plates just to drop off, and obviously that would cause exactly the symptons you describe.
I believe the causes can be overheating, either by overcharging by a faulty alternator that fails to regulate correctly, or prolonged high-current discharge.Also of course abuse such as bumping.
Cheaper batteries are of weaker internal construction, with smaller section plates, and I think maybe use a cheaper and less robust alloy in the lead.
I appreciate the point about keeping the acid level topped up. However, the kind of topper-up bottle that rests on the plates to activate a self-levelling plunger is not recommended because of the risk of damage, again the cheaper batteries being more vulnerable.
I didnt mention it.because it is a prob that I havent come across.But it must now be one.which makes me think when warranty runs out on a battery.maybe time to replace working or not.at least that way you have the peace of mind knowing if it fails it wont cost to replace during warranty period.warranty period would depend on price paid for battery as we all know.but as we all depend on it would think it a small price to pay to keep running.
Modern batteries just die? - Claude
Plate technology and sealed battery constructions are more efficient and, for a given output, weigh less than traditional batteries. But nothing comes without a trade off and, in this case, the trade off is a sensitivity to mechanical failure leading to electrical failure. Whereas an older battery would tolerate a certain amount of deposit in the bottom of the battery case and/or distorton of the plates before shorting out the modern battery has a dense matrix of plate surfaces reaching almost to the bottom of the battery case and any sulphated material or detached bits of plate can short out the battery with little or no warning.
Well said, Claude. I knew it was something like that.
Modern batteries just die? - MW
Happened to me in a Passat. Drove 15 miles to and from work. Then 110 miles to Leicester. Next morning dead. Jump start OK. Thought kids had left a reading light on. Drove 10 miles and on stopping 'just had to know'. Dead. A later jump start (first time start) gets us to a garage. Told we might have 9 volts. New battery and all is solved. I agree that old batteries would give lots of warning. But new ones are better.
Modern batteries just die? - quizman
I had the same thing happen on my tractor. I use it every day, and would have staked my life on it starting straight away.

However one morning the starter would not turn it one inch. Knowing the battery was OK, I rang my mechanic thinking it was the starter motor.

On testing the battery, even with me insisting it was OK, he found it was dead. So it seems that more modern batteries are either good or dead.

I prefered it when they let you know when they were getting tired.
Modern batteries just die? - pmh
My 96 Fiesta (original battery) had been left standing for 6 weeks and when I arrived yesterday, the first thing I did was to check that it would start. Plenty of go ,and starts first time no problems! Come to use it today and the battery can only just pull in the starter solenoid and battery voltage drops to nothing. It is not the the terminal connections, I have just metered the true terminal voltage under ignition load and it shows an on load voltage of about 6v. I have jump started it and left it running to charge for 20 minutes and all is well with a now a well charged battery.

2 interesting points, the loss of capacity cannot be attributed to a mechanical or chemical failure of a single cell since the on load voltage drops to 6v. And this has happened once before to this car about 6 months ago for sombody else! I accused him of leaving a light on or similar.

This leaves me to conclude that the almost total discharge is the result of something? latching itself on and running the battery flat.

Any body got any alternative suggestions

I will make sure that I keep the jump leads in the boot for the next few days.. and report any further problems.......

pmh (was peter)
Modern batteries just die? - Peter D
There is a small current drawn by leakage in the alternator diode pack, the radio tuner memory and the like. This usually does not exceed 1ma. However a car alarm can pull from between 10 and 90 ma the latter being the ultrasonic or doppler RF, and volumetric types. The 10 ma example will not kill you battery in 6 weeks. However the 70 to 90 ma load will cause a 3 year old battery to loose substantial capacity in 6 weeks. If you have no alarm then a battery sitting for 6 weeks will not loose significant charge. Unfortunately you started the car then turned it off without going for a run and there you have a flat battery. You mention you left it running for 20 mins, not particularly good thing to do to the engine, and this is far from a fully charge battery and ideally you should use a charger for 24 hours at a couple of amps. If you are concerned as to the battery or the load presented by your car use your meter on the current range 10ma is you have no alarm , 100ma if you do, then lock the car and set any alarm that you use, wait a couple on mins then with the meter attached directly to the battery terminal and the other to the lead itself disconnect the terminal and take a reading. This is sometimes more easily done by two people. Regards Peter
Modern batteries just die? - Sooty Tailpipes
Must be to do with saving space and weight, probably not as substantial inside, and vibration makes a contact break - effectively turning the battery off forever.

Well, your battery was 6 years old, so you can't really complain.....why do people replace batteries when they fail, best to consider them a 4 year service item, or it's it's a cheapo one, 2 or 3 years....After twice being stranded at the least convenient moment for the sake of a £60 battery, I now replace them every 4 years with ones witha 3-4 year guarantee.
Modern batteries just die? - nanotm
dont forget the effectdifferent temps have on the modern batteries if a car never does more than 10 miles then it is unlikly to get hot however a journey of 100plus miles will get it quite hot and if its not used to it then the battery may well suffer premature failure i know its happened to me several times especially when travelling overseas during the winter.
cheap and expensive alike and a warenty isnt much good in a forign country.
A battery should never overheat even on a long journey if it does happen voltage reg on alternator is up the wall.?
Modern batteries just die? - nanotm
sorry not very clear.
ididnt meen the battery overheat just that the physical enviroment around it gets much hotter and thus the electrolite will take on a different chemical property, especially when you come to a stop at the other end as the whole engine compartment will take that much longer to cool down.
Peter D

Whilst I agree leaving it running is not the best way to charge it, I had little alternative. The battery charger was out on loan, and I was not prepared to stall somewhere in rural France and find the battery was genuinely knackered and incapable of a restart.

I would suggest that anybody trying your method of monitoring should take care leaving it on a 10mA range and operating central locking is NOT to be recommended. Whilst you probably get away with it with a DVM the current taken by central locking could be terminal for a mc meter movement.

Whilst I accept your figures for 'standby' currents, I am afraid I dont buy your suggestion of sufficient capacity to operate starter motor 'very vigorously' once and then losing almost all charge overnight.

pmh (was peter)
You have misunderstood me !! the car is all locked up and nothing should be operated whilst you take the measurement. "You don't buy my suggestion " well it just happened to you and I've come across that a lot particularly with batteries 3 years old plus. You asked, you get. Regards Peter
PD

1 Sorry.. reread your post! (But someone else could misread it....)

2 Your suggestion....whilst it may fit in with your experiences (and mine) I still do not think that the figures can hang together to form a conclusive case. I can only surmise that possibly some complex chemistry takes place following the high current discharge of operating the starter motor (heating of the plates?) and that this can cause the battery to self discharge???.

pmh (was peter)
Sorry to interupt.from previous posts on the subject I would think it possible for a battery failure due to method/construction of battery ie if a cell fails battery is dead.whether a new battery or old if this happens you have a dead battery.
I recently tested a 5 year old 095 type Exide battery 60 amp hr new. Battery was charged for 36 hrs terminal on charge voltage 14.84, rested for 24 hrs then, using a pulse discharge battery tester I could only get 210 amps cold cranking ( should be over 460 ) put battery on a 5 amp discharge and at 3 hrs 35 mins later the voltage dropped to 10.5 volts and it was all over. That is less that 18 amp hrs. Due to the modern design of batteries the internal resistance stays fairly low even when the capacity ( effective chemical surface area ) has depleted. This is one of the major reasons why a battery holds on to the last then just quits. Now lead acid batteries do not particularly like low current discharge as it does not encourage the electrolyte to circulate thus is becomes chemically stale and micro bubbles are formed in the mesh of the plate design. If, as in your case an old battery has stood for six weeks, its amp hr capacity has fallen probably to around 12 or 13 amp hrs but can still provide a one off cold cranking current of may be 150 amps. This shock, no pun intended, causes the cells to gas i.e. all the accumulated micro bubbles that were trapped in the mesh of the plate construction now form larger bubbles that obstruct the surface area thus considerable reducing the cold cranking figure and next time you turn the key, “click” and nothing else.

If your car does not have an alarm so the quiescent current is below 1ma then you need to purchase a new battery as the one you have is about to let you down. You have had six years out of it so I’d change it. Happy Motoring my Friend. Regards Peter
Peter D

Good explanation, this is the sort of thing that I hoped somebody would come up with. It explains the chemistry ( or should I say physics?) of why a short high current discharge can then cause the battery to suddenly appear to be very flat. I would suggest that the bubbles forming large bubbles contribute to the very high internal resistance experienced. As this is a physical form of failure presumably the underlying chemistry will remain capable of providing some AH capacity if the bubbles disperse.

Now the interesting thing is whether the battery would then recover over a period of time if the bubbles can be tempted to disperse? This is presumably what happens as a result of recharging it but can the bubbles be dispersed by standing or vibration?

I will watch the battery very carefully ( probably carry a spare in the boot) and see whether I can monitor it carefully next time it fails. As I have a variety of vehicles, see profile, tending to the bangernomics model, and swap batteries around sometimes. I have often said that I go outside and find which one will start!

This would model would account for the many sudden failures and the 'willingness' of the trade to instantly replace the apparently flat battery. For most people this is the correct course of action as they cannot afford to be caught out again.

pmh (was peter)
Modern batteries just die? - Sooty Tailpipes
I wonder if in such a situation if banging the battery would shake the bubbles loose to get you going?
On the older style this was the case but the designs today have much finer cause and the casing requires quite a rattling to get the bubbles to come up. Regards Peter
My warm thanks to all of you who have responded to my originating posting on this thread, and especially to Peter D for his authoritative contribution.

That really answers the "why?" aspect of my query.

However, what about the other part: Can manufacturers of batteries incorporate a warning device to indicate when the battery is about to expire?

On my car the battery has a colour indicator viewer (as described by one respondent to the thread above) though I don't know how reliable that will be. Anyone had any experience or got any knowledge of such indicators?

They seem better than merely changing the battery every 3 or 4 years, becuase that seems an arbitrary interval not related to the battery's condition.

Anyway, thanks again to all who took the trouble to answer. What an excellent forum this is!
The little light is an indication of the specific gravity of the electrolyte not the surface area and chemical condition of the plates. If the battery has been charged it can have the correct PS but cann, due to plate degradation, hardly light a bulb. Light works for 2 to 3 years but then is is somewhat false. If you know your battery is well charge you can always pop in to your local independant car accessory shop and they will do a pulse discharge test to establish the cold cranking current for you. Do it once a year and keep a note of it. When it is 30 % to 40% of the original then a new battery would be wise. Regards Peter
Again, very many thanks. That's most helpful - have printed and shall apply!

That said, I remain somewhat surprised that consumers haven't complained that we seem to have taken a step backwards: it must be possible (admittedly, at a price) for manufacturers of batteries to devise and incorporate a reliable indicator of imminent death of the battery, so that motorists are not stranded as a result of the propensity of their modern batteries to die wihour warning.

But we meekly accept the status quo! I'd wondered whether my originating post would have generated such a campaign, but seems not!

Nevertheless particular thanks to Peter D, and to the others who took the trouble to respond.
I think my second post comes into play here.?
They have an indicator that tells you when the battery is about to die. It is called a Warrantee !! Ha Ha
Modern batteries just die? - Big Cat
A long time ago (1989) we went for a week to France in our Citroen GS. Great car apart from the rust. Anyway car was perfect for the 1000 miles we did (were looking for property at the time) but when we got back to Portsmouth, the battery was COMPLETELY dead. No warning at all. So even old technology batteries can suddenly die.
Modern batteries just die? - trancer
All the battery deaths I have experienced did go suddenly with no warning. Fine one minute then go to start car and nothing, so dead that even a jump start won't work. Having lived in a rather hot Ft. Lauderdale, the deaths occured about every two years, so I have been through at least 6 batteries while living there and they all went the same way.
Modern batteries just die? - GGH
I have rejuvenated a lazy, tired, left on the shelf, C10 Varta battery 3 years ago using ethylenediaminetetra-acetic acid (which I purchased from Boots)and it is still the best battery I own. I got this product information from Bugantics magazine. It is no use using this product on a dead battery.
Modern batteries just die? - dieselhead
Modern batteries are far more compact and light for a given output and last much longer than older types. However the thinner plates are less able to recover after being fully discharged/jump started compared with old technology batteries.
No such thing as a free lunch
Modern batteries are far more compact and light for a given
output and last much longer than older types.

Longer than the 20 year life of a battery I used to start a marine diesel in the 1960s? It held its charge during the winter and always started the engine in the spring with no difficulty. When it finally gave up it was relegated to service as a subsidiary lighting battery.
I knew someone who ran an old milk float as a second car. It still had its original batteries, about 30 years old.
Big and heavy, yes, but they lasted longer.
Big and heavy, yes, but they lasted longer.

Have to disagree. Battery's like almost everything else on a modern car last longer. Powertrains , fuel and ignition systems, paint systems and oils are just a few examples I can think of. Battery technology like everything else has needed to keep up. Battery's also have to work harder than before driving additional electrical equipment.

Most modern batterys have a 3 year guarantee as standard - I don't think this was the case in the 1960's.
Partly I think this is attributed to improved battery technology and also better charging systems giving a smoother output, which partially explains the longevity of a milk float battery. It just won't experience the rapid discharge/charge cycling that a car battery does.
The battery on my Peugeot diesel lasted 5 years, which i think is pretty good for a relatively light battery starting an often reluctant to start diesel engine.

It does seem though that the modern battery's do suffer more of a sudden death compared to the older types that would soldier on for a few more months given the occasional jump start or trickle charge before failing completely.
Recovery from sulphation maybe the controling factor, but it must surely be that battery design over the years has become optimised for low weight, volume and higher specific power, resulting in the various chemical proceses and materials operating more towards the outer edges of their performance capability. When one or more of these capabilities is eroded by wear and tear, rapid failure occurs.

So although the size, weight and life is better, the downside is that the failure process will tend to occur abruptly, rather than by a slow degradation of performance as happened with older battery technology.
Well, there are pluses and minuses, I agree.
Paint doesn't last so well - look at all the bird poo threads!
Brake disks are now expendable.
I agree engines last forever.
But only 5 years for a battery is pretty poor in my experience. I haven't bought one for 10 years - the old ones on my three vehicles are still going strong. My recipe is DO keep them clean and corrosion-free, DO check the acid level regularly and keep topped up, DON'T trickle-charge them unnecessarily, just let the generator/alternator do its job.
Modern batteries just die? - Mapmaker
Paint doesn't last so well because they insist on putting metallic paint on. Metallic has always been prone to fading & damage - stunning when new, but a liability when old.

Brake discs are only expendable because technology means that brake pads don't kill you (or whatever the tiny quantities of asbestos dust might or might not have done to you!). Pads last longer though - they just wear out the discs.

Cars don't rot these days, though. ND's tractor will still be ploughing fields many years hence (provided the electrics are up to it).

Why should trickle charging damage a battery? Is it that different to how an alternator charges it?
I was once told by someone in the battery industry that the main cause of damage to batteries, apart from obvious neglect or abuse, was persistent over-charging. In his view most batteries that failed to cope with the strains of winter use had been ruined by prolonged over-charging in hot weather in the summer.
Agree I think there is an issue with the durability of modern water based paint systems used for environmental reasons. It's a step backwards in my view but the environmental brigade wield an increasingly big stick over the motor industry.

Overall the paints/sealants etc. applied today keep rust at bay for far longer than materials used even 20 years ago. Most paint finish problems are caused by poor maintenance by vehicle owners rather than any particular problem with paint technology.
Modern batteries just die? - Casper
In the last 20 years I've had two batteries just die - one minute ok, the next dead as the proverbial dodo. Both were manufacturers original equipment, one citroen and the other rover, and both went at about 5 years. The first one I investigated, and found that the internal connection between two cells had fractured. Of course there was acid spray in the gap, so a low current could flow, but any attempt to use the starter or even headlights and the connection blew out with a PHUUUT! I didn't cut into the second, but the symptoms and sound effects were similar so I believe the same had happened. The bad circuit might have contributed to the imminent self destruct of the electronic ignition system on both cars. I don't see how any predictive gadget could foresee this type of failure. As a general point, modern cars with alternators are much better at keeping a battery near full charge, so as the capacity falls no problems till there is less than the 200 or so ampere-seconds needed for a start, then all the charging in the world isn't much use. In "the good old days" the problem would probably be a flat battery, rather than one that couldn't take a charge.