1997 2.0 8V XSi - Stalling whilst cold - thalamus89
I have a Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0 8V 1997. It stalls whilst the car is warming up. Once the engine is at normal operating temperature it doesn't stall. I have replaced the stepper motor and engine coolant temperature sensor with new replacements. The engine fault light does come on now and again in no set pattern

I have been informed it might be the MAP sensor or the oxygen sensor or even the ECU. I have not had the fault code read yet, and appreciate that until this is done it's finger in the dark time. I am trying to avoid going to a garage/main dealer because I'm wary of being ripped off.

Thanks in advance.

{edited so as to use the make/model drop down headers that weren't around when this question was first asked.}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/01/2008 at 10:26

Peugeot 306 XSi Stalling whilst cold - LeePower

Hi

Try resetting the engine ecu, MAKE SURE you have the radio code FIRST & shut the alarm system down too, See your handbook.

Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes, Reconnect it making sure your key is in your pocket.

Start the car up, May take a couple of atempts & it will run rough!

Go for a 15 mile drive trying to keep between 2500 RPM & 3500 RPM

If the fault light comes on again, get the codes read at a garage.
Peugeot 306 XSi Stalling whilst cold - thalamus89
Thanks,

I have reset the ECU a number of times now, to no avail. I have been informed that it may be dodgy MAP sensor, oxygen sensor, thermostat or the ECU. I'm quite handy with the engine, and I will check the above before the dreaded visit to get the ECU checked out and given a jackanory story of how XY & Z components need re-placing.

I doubt I'll ever buy another peugeot again. Nothing but trouble with this car and it's pants ECU.
Peugeot 306 XSi Stalling whilst cold - LeePower
Hi

The 405 ive got has the same engine as your 306 & ive had no problems with any sensor, ecu or the engine in 4 years or 56 K miles.
Get the code read & find out whats going on with your engine?
Peugeot 306 XSi Stalling whilst cold - Kimion
I have same 306 as you, but a 1994 reg, that had a similar problem.
The car seemed to intermitantly stall, often on warm up, and I to replaced the stepper motor to no avail.
After being told the same spiel (MAP sensor, Lambda etc) I found that it was simply a fractured wire going to the poietometer (cylinder shaped object, otherside of the stepper motor, underneath the black box).
Check all the wires going around this area for fractures- particulary at the connection ends.
Hope this may help
Peugeot 306 XSi Stalling whilst cold - thalamus89
Thanks for your constructive help Kimion.
Peugeot 306 XSi Stalling whilst cold - DOM69
Hi, can anyone tell me where the rest of this thread is?! I read about 20 posts, then joined and they have mostly disappeared!

I too have a '95 XSi which has this really annoying irratic stalling problem. It doesn't rev itself but stalls when dipping the clutch. It has been off the road for a while, as i crashed it-the stalling made this worse as my breaks failed (obviously) when the car stalled before impact. My hubby has straightened out the front end and I now have to sort the stalling out as my renault's head has blown! French cars!!!

We have had it tested 3 times by peugeot and local garages but because, typically, it isn't in it's stalling phase at the time of testing, nothing is detected. I have been advised, as some of you have said, that it is likely to be a sensor. Apparantly there are about 3/4 sensors-lambda, fuel and something else. A mate has suggested he lnd us one at a time and try them, but because it sometimes won't stall for a month, this could take a long time and after my crash I don't fancy that!!We are going to try the suggestions such as fractured wires to poietometer and the air leak to the plenum chamber and ultimately replace the sensors. I don't think anyone (from garages) have suggested the stepper motor/idle speed controller, so that would be the next step.

We have also had the central locking problem-funny at first, but then just plain annoying-solved it by disconnecting central locking and locking by hand-a pain but a solution!!

Will let you know what happens, have found all of these posts really helpful-didn't realise there were so many with the same problem!
Thanks!
Peugeot 306 XSi Stalling whilst cold - Dynamic Dave
Hi can anyone tell me where the rest of this thread is?! I read about
20 posts then joined and they have mostly disappeared!

You sure it was this one, and not a similar one? Try checking your internet history file to see if you can find it again.

DD. BR Moderator.