Dump valve on a turbo diesel - solara
What is the advantage of having a dump valve fitted to a turbo diesel.
Apart from the annoying/cool whoosh sound, are there any performance or economy advantages?
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Altea Ego
no cool/annoying woosh sound, no and no
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Sooty Tailpipes
They already have them, the difference is that they are properly made so don't make a gay noise.
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - solara
Is that another name for the wastegate valve?
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Peter D
Dump valves/wastegates are not always fitted but are normally required to shut down the boost then the vacuum in the manifold rises due to taking your foot off.

“The Lotus Esprit does not come fitted with a Dump Valve for the turbo. This is unusual because, especially in high boost applications, the back pressure caused by lifting off the throttle can cause the compressor of the turbo to stall. In extreme cases, the compressor can actually shatter.
After a dump valve is fitted, you will notice an immediate change in feel to the car, especially after changing gear. This is because the turbo is kept spinning during closed-throttle conditions and is therefore able to provide full-boost quicker.”

To take advantage of the spin up lag a different/additional dump valves can reduce the pressure more rapidly and therefore decrease the load on the compressor thus decrease the spin up time for when you put you foot back down. Regards Peter
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - RichardW
Dump valves and wastegates are different:

Waste gate is on the exhaust side and opens at a predetermined boost pressure to bypass some of the exhaust gas and hence limit the boost pressure and turbine speed.

Dump valve is fitted in the air side between the turbo and inlet manifold and opens when the throttle is shut to vent the air and stop the turbo stalling, as has been said.

There is little point in having a dump valve on a diesel engine because you don't have a throttle and aren't therefore in danger of closing off the inlet manifold suddenly at high boost pressures, and stalling the turbo.

The best way to keep the turbo on boost on an XUD TD is to not change up till at least 3,500 rpm, amd keep your foot on the throttle during the change to keep the revs over 2,500 rpm to keep the turbo spinning. With a bit of practice you can match the off / on load engine speed quite well to get swift changes without losing too much boost pressure.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - John Lannigan
no cool/annoying woosh sound, no and no

You mean no cool/annoying woosh sound, yes and no ;)

Dump valve on a turbo diesel - pienmash
from what ive read and been informed,dump valves are not worth putting on a dt/td,no performance value atall for diesal
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Sooty Tailpipes
What makes the turbo stall when the throttle is closed, I would have thought it would have spun faster, just as a vacuum cleaner revs up when you put your hand over the suction pipe - due to no air movement, so no work done by fan.
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Ford Dagenham
Hi

I thought someone just said diesels dont have a throttle.

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Altea Ego
This reference is an Aerodynamic stall. In this case it refers a break up of airflow and rapidly fluctuating and reversals of air pressure within the turbo housing. Happens to jet engines and pumps
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Edd
Dump valves only needed on petrols as they have throttle plates diesels don't need them.
Some people like the sound though if you do I ccan get you the number for a few companies whoi make the stuff up but there no advantages.
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - lucky-charmer
please give me some info on where i can get dump valve for my turbo diesel
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - ssray
www.allardturbosport.co.uk/
Dump valve on a turbo diesel - John Lannigan
What makes the turbo stall when the throttle is closed, I would have thought it would have spun faster, just as a vacuum cleaner revs up when you put your hand over the suction pipe - due to no air movement, so no work done by fan.

I think you answered your own question Sooty, a vacuum cleaner is just that, vacuum, so when there is plenty of it, it WILL speed up because there is nothing for the fan to push against. However, the more air there is, the harder the fan has to push, reaching a point where there is just too much to push and the fan stalls, as in the turbo. The dump valve is there to release this pressure before it gets too high and slows the turbo down, resulting in a better pressure, much quicker when you next put your foot down because the fan is still running at a decent speed. Hope this explains it better?

Dump valve on a turbo diesel - Andrew-T

Boy, I hope he is still waiting for that reply after 12 years ..... :-)