Coupe Passenger Law? - Lightning Coupe
Dear forum members, please can you settle a rather pressing issue regarding the transport of pasengers in my car. I own an 03 plate Astra Coupe which is no more than a regular Astra hatchback with a more sleek roof line and a boot. The interiour is identical but for one small detail. There is no lap belt in the middle of the rear bench seat. Its not been removed, the coupes just dont have them. Why I really dont know as the identical hatchback cockpit does? I am also informed by an unreliable source that the coupes are sold as a 2+2 seater car. So I contacted my insurance company, "adrian flux" who advised me that I was covered to carry four not just three pasengers? Im not sure this is acurate though and still have some concerns regarding the eyes of the law.

If I was to carry four passengers would I be overloading the vehical if it is sold as a 2+2 seater? Is it legal to sit in the middle seat when there is no belt suplied. Does the law only state that you have to wear a seatbelt where provided? or can you not travel unless wearing one?

It just seems insane to me that vauxhall have decided not to supply the veichle with a fith belt where the hatch, saloon and estate do.
Coupe Passenger Law? - martint123
Vauxhalls web site appears to call it a four seater. All occupants have to wear seat belts.
Coupe Passenger Law? - Dwight Van Driver
M.Veh (Wearing of Seat Belts)Regs 1993 Reg 5 states that every person riding in the rear seat of a motor vehicle shall wear an adult belt with an exception where no adult belt is available. Bearing in mind the object is road safety and that unrestrained rear passengers pose great risk in a collision by being projected forward, I take the " no adult belt is available" to cover use of vehicles pre seat belt requirement, making the vehicle in question a four seater.

Bear in mind also that under Con and Use Regs 1986 Reg 100 it is an offence to carry passengers in such a manner as likely to cause danger (overcrowding).

DVD
Coupe Passenger Law? - Ivor E Tower
If only 4 belts are fitted then only 4 people can be carried. If you carry a fifth, you are breaking the law and if you have an accident your insurance co may refuse to pay as you were overloading the car. Don't risk it.
Coupe Passenger Law? - Cliff Pope
>> If only 4 belts are fitted then only 4 people can
be carried.

That can apply only to cars made after the date when 3 belts in the back became standard, surely? Lots of cars made before then had only 2 belts in the back, and their 5th seat didn't suddenly become illegal?
The logical extension to that argument would be that if no belts are fitted, then no one can travel in the car.
I once asked the DoT what was the position regarding the middle (front) seat of a LandRover, no belts then provided. The answer was that if no belts are fitted to a seat as standard, then an occupant is (pretty obviously) not obliged to wear one. BUT the unbelted seat can be used only if ALL the other belted seats are already occupied. That would seem to cover this particular case.

What I would do (and have done so with my 1964 Triumph) is to obtain a lap belt from a breakers and fit it in the middle position.
Coupe Passenger Law? - Dynamic Dave
What I would do (and have done so with my
1964 Triumph) is to obtain a lap belt from a breakers
and fit it in the middle position.

I'm not sure if a lap belt will fit. The middle belt in a non coupe Astra is a 3 point one. One of the mounts is in the rear seat and is inertia real.

Coupe Passenger Law? - Ivor E Tower
An 03 Astra Coupe will have been built under the regs that require all occupants to be belted in. Therefore if only 4 belts fitted, only 4 can be carried. If in doubt check with Vauxhall UK to see how many seats the coupe has been homolgated with. If it turns out to be 5, ask them where and how a fifth belt should be fitted so that you comply with the Construction and Use Regulations.