"Chipping" and trip computers - Ben79
Does anybody know if chips, tuning boxes and similar make a difference to the trip computer MPG readouts?

I have fitted a box from East Coast Racing to my C5, now the trip computer seems optimistic compared to the fuel needle which is approaching 1/4 tank. The last years driving has shown the guage to be deadly accurate.
"Chipping" and trip computers - Craig_1969
I have a soap on a roap chip for my VW Passat and it screws the mpg computer right up! 70mpg is not unusual. Fabulous. ;)
"Chipping" and trip computers - Ben79
70 mpg from the computer readout?

My C5 is showing 47mpg on the screen, guesstimating 45 from the position of the fuel guage needle. The computer always under-read by 2-3mpg before. Only time will tell however.

Give me 2 weeks to test properly. Big tanks take a lot of miles between fillups.
"Chipping" and trip computers - Andrew-T
"70mpg is not unusual." Is that the readout, or do you actually get that number of miles from your gallon?
"Chipping" and trip computers - Craig_1969
No the display misreads with my chip, actual about 45mpg.
"Chipping" and trip computers - Edd
It can change even between VAG engine ie audi VW etc they can react differently (different EMU)
I wouldn't use it as a reson to not get a tnning box though.
"Chipping" and trip computers - Mike H
Not sure why but yes, it is true. Since I had a chip upgrade, my Saab 9-5's computer MPG shows about 10% less than it used to, yet actual consumption is unchanged.