Roof vandalism - mattc
Hi all,

I need some advice regarding an act of vandalism to my car last night. I was parked in the cinema car park of a large entertainment complex in Hemel Hempstead and when I returned to my car I found that someone had jumped on the roof and dented it. I contacted the complex security although I don't hold out much hope that they caught it on CCTV. Similarly, I reported it to the Police but I don't see anything coming of that either.

The car is a 98R VW Polo 1.4CL 5dr in metallic green, i'm guessing it is worth something in the region of £3K to £3.5K.

As far as I can see, I have 4 options.

1. Attempt to repair the dent myself. It looks like the dent might pop out if I push it up from inside the car

2. Repair the dent through my insurer. I have 4 years unprotected NCB, an excess of £200 and a fully comp premium of £650 per year.

3. Repair the dent through a bodyshop or a company like chips away.

4. Do nothing

What are your views on the above?

I will post some pictures on the MSN honest john group when I have access.

I would welcome any comments and advice.
Many thanks,
Matt
Roof vandalism - mattc
Hi,

You can see the damage at tinyurl.com/yv7c2

Best regards,
Matt
Roof vandalism - martint123
Can't give any advice until you get some quotes - ask for private and insurance quotes.
Roof vandalism - mattc
Hi Martin

Thanks for replying. I have pretty much ruled out claiming on my insurance as I can't afford the excess. I decided to push the dent out myself and there is only a small amount of damage remaining now. Thankfully none of the paint has cracked either.

B. rgds
Matt
Roof vandalism - Chuffer Dandridge
Given the facts I would have done as you did and pushed the dent out. It makes practical and economical sense. Annoying that you should have to do it though.
Roof vandalism - martint123
A lot depends on how good you are with your hands and how much experience. I'd still get a quote from a body builder as they know a few tricks and it may not be that expensive. If a back street bodger had it, he may even replace the roof panel with a snip from a scrappy.
If I were in your position I wouldn't claim - as you say, excess + NCB + claim record can make things very expensive.

If there are any creases then you may have problems. It's a big, flat panel so any imperfections will stick out like a sore thumb.
Roof vandalism - Craig_1969
Nasty. I have roof damage too, and have decided to leave it.

Repair will involve snipping out the old panel after removing the headlining and surrounding trim, and welding a new roof panel in place. The workshop (Inchcape Automotive) where I work does this where there is roof damage in most cases.