Mondeo TD stutter - f4
I have a 1999 Mondeo 1.8TD Endura, 90k, that has recently developed a 'stutter' between 2,500 - 3,000 rpm. If it was a petrol engine it would be like one of the spark plugs is not firing - obviously it's not that! It's not noticeable under 'hard' acceleration (I use the term loosely) but when running in third or fourth within the band under gentler acceleration. Only clue I have so far is maybe fuel boost (?) problem but complete a complete no-hoper with technical matters am a bit stuck. I've cleaned the air filter and checked all hoses for cracks, etc.
Mondeo TD stutter - Malcolm_L
Your description would suggest that one of the injectors isn't working correctly.
Don't get many 1.8TD problems on this forum (mainly TDCI!)
By fuel boost I take that to be fuel starvation, sounds doubtful
as if hard acceleration is fine, that's when fuel pump is working hardest.

Is the problem always under load? If you can reproduce the fault
whilst the car is stationary, disconnect each injector in turn and see if the fault stays with one injector disconnected.
Mondeo TD stutter - bikemade3
Had exactly the same probelm on my 97 P TD i changed the fuel filter ( it was due !!) and during inspection found that the small vacumn hose to the turbo had perished where it bends thru 90 degrees. When you look at the fuelpump you,ll find the forementioned hose at the rear of the pump by the front face as it bend thru 90 degrees it ponts to the block then is connected to a metal pipe running accross the front of the engine.Seemed to fix the job certainly made it better. Adding "Millers Diesel additive " helps and take the car to red line 3/4 times a week( hot engine) clears out all the soot and carbon that build up at low RPM.
Mondeo TD stutter - f4
Thanks for the replies. Today it got much worse & started blowing black smoke - it's now with a garage to sort! :-(

I'll report on progress.
Mondeo TD stutter - kurnal
my moneys on the egr valve being stuck open.