VAG speedo and fuel gauge problem - gttrd
I am experiencing a problem aver the last few days with an octavia
Firstly the speedo started to fluctuate then it stopped completely
once it stopped then the fuel gauge started to fluctuate
I found one of the injectors leaking diesel which flowed onto the speedo sensor so i fixed the leak and cleaned the engine thoroughly.
nothing improved so i am after replacing the speedo sensor with a brand new one, this has not helped either
i am begining to think it is a wireing fault ie a bad earth. and that the fuel leak wasnt to blame for the problem

also i have noticed recently that the car will chuck at low revs
when this happens it will go away if u accelorate harder
so i only see the problem when driving in slow traffic

Has anyone seen this before ar have any ideas what could be causing it.

All help would be appreciated
VAG speedo and fuel gauge problem - Mapmaker
Something similar on my MB W123 was a bad earth. Running a new wire from the instrument panel (assuming it's made from metal?) to a good ground did the trick.
The instrument pannel is plastic
The latest development is that lastnight i was driving when all the red lights flashed it ran for about 10 minutes afterwards and then all the instruments stopped working
ie clocks onboard computer key, oil, charging and water lights have all stopped working

The car still runs and evetything else appears fine

I stripped the clocks today to lok for ant obvious signs of something having blown but seen nothing
All the fuses are fine also

so am still left with no idea of what the car is at or what speed im doing

any ideas or help would be appreciated

Regards
VAG speedo and fuel gauge problem - Altea Ego
It really does sound like an earth problem. When things fail randomly or cause strange effects its usually things trying ot find alternate earths. The earth for the instrument assembly could be anywhere, in the engine compartment even.
VAG speedo and fuel gauge problem - Aprilia
Could be that the instrument pack electronics (i.e. basically a microprocessor and associated support components) have gone belly-up in a big way.
I have not had time to have a propper look at it yet will do so early this week

One interesting thing i did notice was lastnight i was sitting in thye car it was not on or the key in the ignition when the charging light began to flicker

Once i started it the light went off and i did not see it after that

Just a theory but could thealtenator be over charging ir something that would cause it do blow the clocks as aprilia said...

Will check all that stuff and let u know what happens
VAG speedo and fuel gauge problem - hamsterdangler
I have had similar problems in the past with Audi 100s with electronic speedometers. Have even got second hand speedos from the breakers which also had the same problem. Went to great length dismantling the instrument cluster sometimes causing damage and eventually found the source of the problem. Where the printed circuit board at the back is connected to the gauges there are electical connections that also retain the board, these wear, possibly due to vibration and result in poor and variable contact with the circuit board. The high tech solution I employed was to sharpen a matchstick into a wedge and force it between the circiut board and the plastic housing, forcing a better contact with the circuit board then break off the rest of the matchstick. I have done this successfully with two vehicles one of which one daughter still drives five years after the mod. No recurrence.
Found the sourse of the problemit was a short in a wite someplace under the battery

Unfortunately did not get it in time as it went onb fire last monday morning

I managed to put it out fairly quickly but still a good bit of dammage done

Thanks for all the ideas

Will probably be looking for more help when i go repairing it.