Defective tyre? Worth pushing? - Van Driving Man
I had a puncture a week ago. No big deal, got the "spare" on, then crept along to a local tyre place.

"No problem, looks like we can repair that OK". So they did the repair (puncture was in the tread of the tyre) and put it back on the wheel. However, when they reinflated it, the sidewall bulged alarmingly and, after discussion, I OK'd the fitting of a new tyre.

When I had the puncture I was travelling at about 50mph and the 'run flat' distance was no more than 200 yards. The people who repaired/replaced the tyre commented that they would not have put the sidewall problem down to run flat damage, as there was no visible weat/tear or damage inside the tyre. Their comment was that the tyre is possibly showing up some kind of manufacturing defect. Tyre pressures checked regularly, never had a problem.

Car is a Hyundai, 5 years/ unlimited mileage warranty (obviously NOT including tyres though), with just under 10,000 miles on the car and hence the tyre.

So..... is it worth me pushing this with the dealers with the aim of getting them to stump up some of the replacement cost on the grounds that the tyre was defective, or am I flogging a dead horse??

BR'ers expert opinions welcomed.
Defective tyre? Worth pushing? - martint123
No chance. Sidewalls are easily damaged but with no visible signs. I'd say the tyre fitters were giving duff advice.

Defective tyre? Worth pushing? - smokie
I was once keen to report a tyre defect, but the garage said that it would need to go back to the manufacturer who would analyse it thoroughly and most probably put it down to speed bumps or kerbs, so I didn't bother.

Unless it was virtually brand new I don't think you'd get far.
Defective tyre? Worth pushing? - BrianW
I had this problem years ago and IIRC didn't get anywhere as the tyre had done about 4,000 miles/6 months and anything over about 1,000 miles is a no-no.
Defective tyre? Worth pushing? - Altea Ego
Any claim will be rejected as the tyre has been run flat, 2.5 yards or 250 yards, 5mph or 50mph - matters not.
Defective tyre? Worth pushing? - Van Driving Man
Thanks guys - guess I will save myself the increased blood pressure and just swallow the bill myself.
Defective tyre? Worth pushing? - Geffers
I think it would be a total waste of your time..