Windscreen creaks and cracks. Audi A4. - redafour
I run a 1997 Audi A4 1.9 TDI.It starts first turn,runs brilliantly with plenty of poke and economy.However on starting from cold and driving a few miles as soon as the heater starts blowing warm air onto the windscreen a problem ensues.When going round a bend the windscreen gives sharp cracking noises.These noises sound almost like a stone hitting your screen at speed.Once the car is warm though all is quiet again.Has anyone any idea about the cause or a possible cure?
Windscreen creaks and cracks. Audi A4. - Altea Ego
To be honest, its unlikely to be the windscreen. Its more likely to be heater duct or the dashboard assembly. IF it is the windscreen the only fix will be to replace it because it mean that it is under stress (may be some part touching the body somewhere and not mounted properly in its bonding layer)If this is the case then it WILL crack eventually and you will have to replace it.

Windscreen creaks and cracks. Audi A4. - redafour
Thanks for that Renault Family.It`s probably just the general loosening up process in a 7 year old 160k car.I`ll just put up with it I reckon because as I said it only takes place when the heater first starts blowing out the warm air especially in winter.I myself at first found it hard to believe it was the windscreen as there are no physical cracks visible in it only a couple of starburst stonechips.Thanks for giving me somewhere else to look though.
Windscreen creaks and cracks. Audi A4. - Aprilia
It'll be the dash creaking, pretty much 'standard' on A4's.