EVO Magazine - getting worse? - Phoenicks
I have a subscription to EVO magazine but are thinking of cancelling it due to it basically getting boring.

It used to have a Buying Guide feature and a few ads for great cars, but they've both gone.

All they seem to feature are supercars and track day cars - not a lot of real world value cars.

In fact if they do have an features on real value cars they seem to show the same old ones.

They seemed to have disappeared up their own backsides with their 'look at us and all the lovely cars we get to drive nah nah nah na nah nah' attitude and the writing is verging on CAR magazine in its use of words of more than 9 letters that dont actually seem to fit with the feature. trying to be arty and wordy for comfort reading.

Also, but this is just jealousy, how dids Jethro Bovingdon get a job on their mag and turned himself into Road Test Editor?!!!

What happened to John Barkers £30k Capri

Anyone got any other views about whether its writing itself down the drain?
EVO Magazine - getting worse? - CM
i bought EVO for the first time at the airport a few weeks ago and must say that I won't be buying it again. Having said that I find CAR a much better read,

When I was younger I used to buy Performance Car. Did this turn into EVO or CAR?
EVO Magazine - getting worse? - Burnout2
EVO is strictly lunchtime browsing fodder these days - it manages the remarkable feat of making some of the most exciting cars in the world sound as appealing as a trip in a Montego Countryman estate. Nothing whatsoever do to with the fact that they don't like my chosen wheels (Civic Type-R) all that much.

CAR used to be beautifully designed a couple of years back, and I personally like the slightly pretentious lifestyle prose/pose, but it's become glossier and more vacuous since the redesign. Still covers the broad spectrum of motoring better than anything else though.

EVO Magazine - getting worse? - Algernon
They did not like the styling of the Ferrari 612! That has done it for me. But then, being a dreary old git, I look back to the real Motor Sport of many years ago. That actually was not afraid of a bit of technicality (and used black print on white paper so that one could read it).

I do not know of a current equivalent.
EVO Magazine - getting worse? - Mad Maxy
I have to say most of the car mags these days are pretty disappointing. I think wistfully about the excellence of CAR in the 70s (now that dates me).

Best real-world info on real-world cars is in What Car? Sounds boring but there's loads of commonsense in it. What Car? is what Autocar (and Motor of old) used to be before it got re-positioned as a mag for the 'How fast does it go and how many horsepower, mister?' schoolboyish audience. And actually, despite that, it's probably the best of the rest.

All the others - TG, Evo, Car, etc are really not to be taken that seriously - and not worth reading - apart from a quick squint in WH Smith when there's 10 minutes to kill.
EVO Magazine - getting worse? - Morris Ox
I'll admit to occasional fogey tendencies, but I quite like Octane. Full of old cars I can't afford, but some reasonable writing, too.

Maxy is spot-on: What Car has a good, consumer approach and does what it says on the box.
EVO Magazine - getting worse? - Orville
There does seem to be a gap in the market for magazines about cars that most of us can reasonably aspire to. There was a great article in CAR magazine about getting a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo etc using the manufacturers' PCP schemes. Although some of the deposits were frightening (as were the balloon payments,) you could still imagine a total petrolhead succumbing to temptation if they perchanced upon a great aunt's legacy...

Talking of irritating writing - whenever I come across the most ridiculously pompous prose, with forced alliteration and an 'aren't I clever' air of smugness about it, it usually has Anthony ffrench-Constant's name by it...
EVO Magazine - getting worse? - Mad Maxy
What do you expect with a name like that...?