Computer related questions Volume 9 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 10 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21780

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 9. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Oz
Having gone right through Symantec's renewal process to debiting of VISA card (£16.71), entry of a subscription key which was accordingly disclosed to me, and subsequent confirmation, I find that the system warns that my virus definitions are only up-to-date to 26/3/2004.
Therefore, I run the Live Update procedure but this indicates that everything is up-to-date!
I would be very happy to talk to a living human being but this is not provided for - unless anyone knows differently?
Oz (as was)
Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Ivor E Tower
Most disappointed with Symantec stuff. Had an old copy of Norton utilities by Symantec on a P166. Even after following the uninstall procedures, it still appears on the list of programmes. Just bought a new HP base unit from Comet, only £270 for a 2.6Ghz processor, 40GB HDD, 256MB memory, Windows XP and Works Suite 2004 (no monitor or speakers) and it comes with Symantec anti-virus 60-day trial software. After one hour, even having registered by internet, it keeps coming up with the message that the trial has expired and it is time to upgrade by paying! Despite dismissing this, it continues to pop up the annoying reminder screen each time that a new application is launched.....
Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Welliesorter
I was too tight to renew my Norton subscription so I've installed AVG Antivirus instead. It seems fine although I find the update mechanism to be less slick than Symantec's. You can find the free version at www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php .
Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Dalglish
oz and ivorytower

have you tried using

www.symantec.com/techsupp/

www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html

Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Altea Ego
you dont need to renew your subscription to get the latest av update. basically you download the latest av update, rename its extension to .zip, unzip the file to a temp directory the copy the unziped files into the symantic shared incoming directory. As long as you copy a certain file last, the av programe accepts the new av definition. - Still keeps whining every 15 days its not got a paid subscription but hey its free.

Instructions for the above are all on the web site, the readme file in the latest av definitions.
Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Dalglish
>>
Instructions for the above are all on the web site,

please post a link.

as it is, i have 2 home pcs. one with 4 year old mcafee, one with 2 year old norton.

both download virus definiton updates free of charge automatically.

they won't upgrade the engine free of charge , but i am not bothered about that.

note the emphasis, they class updates and upgrades differently.
Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Altea Ego
> please post a link

tinyurl.com/ypdms
Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - Civic8
I gave up on that last year.I recommend Avast anti virus its free and auto updates itself.all you need to do is register they send you a serial no.copy and paste into program done.no messing around.works well I have used it for over a year and no probs.you can find it at www.avast.com
Norton AntiVirus 2002 - renewing subs. - CG
Like mech1 I have gone over to Avast, and it works just fine. It's also completely free. In fact, I find it's much quicker scanning the outgoing mail that Norton. Of course, if you don't want to pay for another 12 months you could just uninstall and reinstall Norton like most other folk, but you will find avast better in some respects and certainly worth the effort.

CG
mp3 organiser - Claybuster
Any of the backroomers know of a freeware organiser for mp3's? The sort of thing I had in mind was a programme where you put a cd in the drive with a load of mp3's on and the programme "read" all the songs on it (so you did not have to type everyone in) and then let you create a database stored on the computer, giving the cd a ident number so when you wanted a particular track you looked it up on the computer and go to the correct cd rather than having to wade through 10 cd's to find a particular track.
Thanks
Claybuster
mp3 organiser - DavidHM
Apple iTunes is free, if not freeware, and does something very similar with MP3s on your hard disk - but if you're short of disk space that won't really help you.
mp3 organiser - DerekX
The way I do it is to use Winamp, available free from www.winamp.com/

Put CD into PC. Start Winamp and in playlist editor (PL button) click Add button then Add Folder. Navigate to the CD player and it should load in all of the MP3 CDs ready for playing. Now click Misc button followed by Misc. Then select Generate HTML Playlist.

This will open up your internet browser with a list of all MP3 titles on the CD - which you can then print out. If you are familiar with using databases you can copy and paste the list into one. If you use the latest version it will also list the playtime of each piece

Derek
I can't be the first person to do this - PoloGirl
Morning - excuse the badly typed post but my laptop and I are feeling very sorry for ourselves this morning as we both consumed a quantity of wine last night. It's dried out enough to switch on this morning but a lot of the keys aren't working or are stuck! Assuming I can get the keys off, what is the best way to dry the keyboard out and clean the keys? Thanks!
I can't be the first person to do this - Altea Ego
PG
Assume from your post you have got wine into the keyboard? What make of laptop is it? I would shy away from taking apart yourself, tho you can usually remove the keytops, you may end up with little springs and wire clips flying everywhere. If some of the keys depress and spring back ok but dont register a character, you may have wine under the membrain and the keyboard will need to be separated and cleaned or replaced. Think its a trip to a repair agent.

If you want to take a key top off and examine what it looks like the use a non esential key like the `¬
I can't be the first person to do this - Altea Ego
oh and if your degree work is urgent, pop down to a local computer shop and buy an extrnal keyboard, usually get one for a tenner or less, most laptops have a combined PS2 mouse/keyboard port, and you can get a splitter cable to run both the mouse and keyboard.
I can't be the first person to do this - NVH
USB keyboards can also be had for under a tenner.
Removing text from drop down boxes? - Phoenicks
Does anyone know how to fully delete all the text\'s typed into the drop down boxes on Windows XP? I\'ve cleared cache, history and temp internet files to no avail.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Removing text from drop down boxes? - Dalglish
Does anyone know how to fully delete all the text\'s typed
into the drop down boxes on Windows XP? I\'ve cleared cache,
history and temp internet files to no avail.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

assuming you mean internet explorer v6 or 5.5;

go to tools/internet-options/content ; click auto-complete button, and then follow the instructions to clear forms and other info.

if that does not work, post again and i will tell you where to find the info in your computer directories.
Removing text from drop down boxes? - Phoenicks
Cheers Dalglish - will give it a go...
Removing text from drop down boxes? - Dalglish
Does anyone know how to fully delete all the text\'s
typed
into the drop down boxes on Windows XP?

and also in reply to an earlier question:
Even after following the uninstall procedures, it still
appears on the list of programmes.

i think it is worth downloading and installing powertoys/tweakui from microsoft\'s web site, which give you lots of additinal features especially if you have paranoia.

for xp
tinyurl.com/36n

for 98/me
tinyurl.com/2p29j
What's up doc? - CM
I have a feeling that I've been virused as something strange is happening.

When I try and open Media Player nothing happens and when I do the CTRL ALT DEL it is showing along with an .exe file called 70000041

I've tried deleting but have had no joy. Also tried looking on the www and got no sense. I have run Spyware and it still seems to be popping up whenever I try to open Media Player.

The only other thing that has happened is that my homepage change to Netsearch and a whole load of Icons appeared on my desktop. Also all my favourites had been arranged in alphabetical order.

Can someone help me get rid of this??
What's up doc? - Dalglish
I have a feeling that I've been virused as something strange
is happening.
The only other thing that has happened is that my homepage
change to Netsearch and a whole load of Icons appeared on
my desktop. Also all my favourites had been arranged in alphabetical
order.
Can someone help me get rid of this??

try homepage "hijack this" and/or cwshredder. see previous computer questions volumes entries about these utilities .
What's up doc? - CM
Dalglish,

Thanks. I hope that cwshredder has worked. It found the trojan and has deleted Media Player. Will redownload and hope all is OK.
What's up doc? - CM
Dalglish,

I did the cwshredder and it worked but the same problem has reappeared today. Is there anything else that I can do? I can't find any other information about it and netsearchsoft is still trying to become my www homepage although I have installed a hijack blaster
What's up doc? - Mark (RLBS)
Run "hijack this" from the same place that you got cwshredder. Then post the log here.
What\'s up doc? - CM
Herewith the logfile

God knows what\'s on here as I have inherited this machine from a previous user and would be happy to remove useless things.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:34:15, on 14/04/2004
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMKERNEL32.DLL
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMMSGSRV32.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSPOOL32.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMMPREXE.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESNORTON UTILITIESNPROTECT.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMHPBPRO.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMHPBOID.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMMSTASK.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESNETWORK ASSOCIATESMCAFEE VIRUSSCANVSHWIN32.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMRPCSS.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESNETWORK ASSOCIATESMCAFEE VIRUSSCANVSSTAT.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMmmtask.tsk
C:WINDOWSTASKMON.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSYSTRAY.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESDAPDAP.EXE
C:WINDOWSLOADQM.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESLOGITECHMOUSEWARESYSTEMEM_EXEC.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMQTTASK.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMHPNRA.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESSITE BASE AMENSOFT LIST.EXE
C:WINDOWSWTUPDATERWCMDMGR.EXE
C:TOOLS_95IMGICON.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMWMIEXE.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESWINDOWS MEDIA COMPONENTSENCODERWMENCAGT.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESSONY CORPORATIONIMAGE TRANSFERSONYTRAY.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESMICROSOFT OFFICEOFFICEOUTLOOK.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESCOMMON FILESSYSTEMMAPI103395MAPISP32.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESBROWSER HIJACK BLASTERBHBLASTER.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMPSTORES.EXE
C:WINDOWSSYSTEMDDHELP.EXE
C:WINDOWSEXPLORER.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESJAVAJ2RE1.4.1_02BINJAVAW.EXE
C:PROGRAM FILESWINZIPWINZIP32.EXE
C:WINDOWSTEMPHIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain,Search Bar = netsearchsoft.com/searchbar.html
R1 - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain,Search Page = netsearchsoft.com/searchbar.html
R1 - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSearch,SearchAssistant = netsearchsoft.com/searchbar.html
R1 - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain,Search Bar = netsearchsoft.com/searchbar.html
R1 - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain,Search Page = netsearchsoft.com/searchbar.html
R0 - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSearch,SearchAssistant = netsearchsoft.com/searchbar.html
R1 - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings,ProxyServer = 10.0.0.2:80
R1 - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet Explorer,SearchAssistant = ,
R1 - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet Explorer,CustomizeSearch = ,
R1 - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSearch,(Default) = ,
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:PROGRAM FILESADOBEACROBAT 5.0READERACTIVEXACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0096CC0A-623C-4829-AD9C-19AF0DC9D8FE} - C:PROGRAM FILESDAPDAPIEBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:program filesgooglegoogletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {68F5D679-BE51-2B2D-FB20-252C822C5ABD} - C:PROGRAM FILESAXIS SECTCREATIVE POKE.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:program filesgooglegoogletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:WINDOWSSYSTEMMSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: bolt corn info - {2F4C697F-548D-9890-FC4A-20D2CAA7F5C7} - C:PROGRAM FILESAXIS SECTCREATIVE POKE.DLL
O4 - HKLM..Run: [ScanRegistry] c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM..Run: [TaskMonitor] c:windowstaskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM..Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM..Run: [TCASUTIEXE] TCAUDIAG.EXE -off
O4 - HKLM..Run: [Matrox Control Center] C:Program FilesMatrox MGA PowerDeskmgactrl.exe
O4 - HKLM..Run: [Matrox Color Control] C:Program FilesMatrox MGA PowerDeskColorhgcctl95.exe
O4 - HKLM..Run: [VsStatEXE] C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesMcAfee VirusScanVSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
O4 - HKLM..Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM..Run: [NPROTECT] C:Program FilesNorton UtilitiesNPROTECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM..Run: [DownloadAccelerator] C:PROGRA~1DAPDAP.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM..Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM..Run: [EM_EXEC] C:PROGRA~1LOGITECHMOUSEW~1SYSTEMEM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM..Run: [QuickTime Task] C:WINDOWSSYSTEMQTTASK.EXE
O4 - HKLM..Run: [HP Network Registry Agent] C:WINDOWSSYSTEMhpnra.exe
O4 - HKLM..Run: [Vshwin32EXE] C:PROGRAM FILESNETWORK ASSOCIATESMCAFEE VIRUSSCANVSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKLM..Run: [wcmdmgr] C:WINDOWSwtupdaterwcmdmgrl.exe -launch
O4 - HKLM..Run: [idol ref] C:PROGRA~1SITEBA~1SOFT LIST.exe
O4 - HKLM..Run: [MSZTCE] C:WINDOWSSYSTEMMSZTCE.EXE
O4 - HKLM..RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM..RunServices: [NPROTECT] C:Program FilesNorton UtilitiesNPROTECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM..RunServices: [HP Port Resolver] C:WINDOWSSYSTEMhpbpro.exe
O4 - HKLM..RunServices: [HP Status Server] C:WINDOWSSYSTEMhpboid.exe
O4 - HKLM..RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM..RunServices: [Vshwin32EXE] C:PROGRAM FILESNETWORK ASSOCIATESMCAFEE VIRUSSCANVSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKCU..Run: [MSMSGS] \"C:Program FilesMessengermsmsgs.exe\" /background
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeOSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Iomega Watch.lnk = C:Tools_95IoWatch.Exe
O4 - Startup: Iomega Startup Options.lnk = C:Tools_95ImgStart.Exe
O4 - Startup: Iomega Disk Icons.lnk = C:Tools_95ImgIcon.Exe
O4 - Startup: Encoder Agent.lnk = C:Program FilesWindows Media ComponentsEncoderWMENCAGT.EXE
O4 - Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = C:Program FilesSony CorporationImage TransferSonyTray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:PROGRA~1DAPdapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:PROGRAM FILESGOOGLEGOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:PROGRAM FILESGOOGLEGOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:PROGRAM FILESGOOGLEGOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:PROGRAM FILESGOOGLEGOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:PROGRA~1DAPdapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page - res://C:PROGRAM FILESGOOGLEGOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: LimeShop Preferences - file://C:Program FilesLimeShopSystemTemplimeshop_script0.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra \'Tools\' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra \'Tools\' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:PROGRA~1INTERN~1PluginsNPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {6CB5E471-C305-11D3-99A8-000086395495} (Google Activate) - toolbar.google.com/data/deleon/1.1.46-deleon/GoogleNav.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20030530/qtinstall.info.apple.com/bonnie/
us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe

O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37914.1780787037
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/vso/en-us/tools/mcfscan/1,5,0,4271/
mcfscan.cab

O16 - DPF: {AD7FAFB0-16D6-40C3-AF27-585D6E6453FD} - dload.ipbill.com/del/loader.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2003120501/housecall.antivirus.com/houseca
ll/xscan53.cab

O16 - DPF: {F54C1137-5E34-4B95-95A5-BA56D4D8D743} (Secure Delivery) - www.gamespot.com/KDX22/download/kdx.cab

What's up doc? - CM
PS for example I would love to get rid of things that load themselves like Netsearchsoft and gamespot.com
CM,

Do you have the windows disks for the system ?
Do you have installation disks and/or files for all the software you want ?
Do you have a note of all your usernames/passwords ?

If yes to all three, then wipe the disks and start again. You've got kind of a mess of installed programs of which some are legit and some not.

Can you answer yes to all three ?

Mark.
What's up doc? - CM
I think that it is yes to everything. I have the Windows 98 or 2000 or whatever it is somewhere, and the other software bits like Sony is for the dig camera and can easily upload that.

When you say wipe the disks, how do I do this or should I get the IT people in?
1) access the computer and check that there is nothing you need. e.g. in "My Documents".

2) if there is, copy it onto a CD if you can. or E-mail it to yourself or do something to get it off the machine.

3) if you cannot get it off the machine and you cannot manage without it, then copy it all to a file *not* called "my documents" - it can get overwritten in a full installation.

4) reboot system with windows CD in drive. It may say something like "hit any key to boot from CD" or it may just do it.

5) assuming no files are required on the computer then follow the trail to formatting the disk and then reinstalling. Its pretty self-evident but its something like selecting a new installation and then when given the choice format the disk removing all partitions and then recreate and format a new partition. (always select NTFS - you'll know what I mean when you get there).

Follow the instructions which will be few and far between.

Remember to have written down;

telephone number for your ISP connection
username/passwords
configuration of Outlook Express if you use it (pop3 servers etc)

If you will be the only person to use it, then don't create individual password protected accounts.

By all means contact again if you get stuck. But bear in mind that you will nto be able to connect to the internet from the point where you start until the point where you finish. If you're that bothered, then separately e-mail me, tell me when you're going to do it, and I'll give you a phone number.

Having said all of that, if you have IT people you can use for no cost, then get them to do it for you. It just isn't difficult enough to be worth spending money on.

M.
What's up doc? - smokie
Good advice Mark. Only point I'd make is regarding "always select NTFS - you'll know what I mean when you get there)" - NTFS is only an option on WIndows NT, 2000 and XP so on WIn98 you probably won't see a question about this.
What's up doc? - smokie
Oh, and the other thing you may want to do is save your IE favourites and cookies - you can export these (File/Import & Export wizard). Cookies are sometimes thought subversive, but IMO they are useful as settings for some sites are maintained therein (e.g. logons, site settings etc)
What's up doc? - Welliesorter
Mark's advice is sound and I'd certainly agree with wiping the hard drive and starting again. Windows benefits from doing this every so often and starting from scratch can often be less laborious than trying to remove accumulated junk.

A few points though:
  • There's a big difference between Windows 98 and 2000. One is an update of Windows 95 and the other the replacement for Windows NT. Someone who isn't sure which one they have might benefit from a bit of hand holding through the process. I'd accept Mark's kind offer of phone support.

• With Windows 98 you'll need a boot floppy (startup disk). The installation CD isn't bootable. You create the boot floppy by going into Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs (stupid place for it I know).

• If your PC is of a type aimed at home users you may find that instead of a proper Windows CD you have a restore CD that returns it to the state it was in when new. Some PCs also have the wherewithal to do this on a separate disk partition.

• If you have Windows 2000 and the choice of using FAT32 or NTFS, don't use the latter if there's any possibility that you may ever want to install another operating system on the same PC at the same time. In particular, Linux can't reliably write to NTFS disks.

• Once you have a working PC and internet connection the very first thing you need to do is go to the Windows Update site and download every available critical update.

• The next task is to install anti-virus software (see the useful freebies mentioned elsewhere in this thread), spyware detectors (AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy) and (unless you're on a network that has its own) a firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm are recommended).

• Install Mozilla Firefox. It isn't prone to the same hijacks as IE.

All this isn't as onerous as it sounds but it can be time-consuming and you'll probably need to leave the PC overnight to download the updates if you're not on broadband.
What's up doc? - Dalglish
for the benefit of those who cannot or do not wish to reformat and reinstall their hard disk;

to get rid of persistent hijackers such as netsearch, look up the advice at

forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showforum=...0

which has numerous requests just today for netsearch hijacks.

also try

www.computercops.biz/forum67.html
What\'s up doc? - Civic8
What size hard drive have you got.if its big enough may be worth partitioning the drive into two at least then files can be saved to that section so after reload your files will still be there
What's up doc? - CM
I am off for the week next week so I think that I will tackle when I get back. (possibly trying to put things off!!)

Thanks all for the advice and will get back in touch later.

The one thing I really don't want to go wrong is SAGE as I am not sure where the disks for this are. Don't mind anything else as I think that most things are on the serverer and it will just meant that I loose all the music files downloaded (no harm there as I don't listen to them much) and the dirty e-mails people have sent me (which would be a shame!!!)
New critical updates - Dwight Van Driver
Those of you who haven't been visiting/checking but there are two new critical update packs at Windows Update:

www.microsoft.com/security/

DVD
New critical updates - Welliesorter
Those of you who haven't been visiting/checking but there are two
new critical update packs at Windows Update

Thanks for posting that. I've just visited Windows Update and found no fewer than five critical updates (security patches). I'm 99.9 per cent certain it was only yesterday that I visited and found none.
New critical updates - THe Growler
I'm still running on steam-powered 98SE, I really can't be bothered with new OS's that are the computing equivalent of taking delivery of a new car with the clutch and accelerator pedals reversed and I have a lifetime policy of consigning all manuals about anything computing to an obscure drawer in my attic on the grounds I don't have enough years to learn the language. I think SE has now sorted out all its security loopholes, unless Bill's boys aren't telling us any more. Whoops, motoring reference, wrong forum. So sorry.

My question is when I go the MS Hotmail page why do I get ad banners in Polish (or whatever they speak behind the defunct iron Curtain?) I live in the Philippines where there are so many lingos and dialects that the lingua france, and that of the Constitution and all recorded legislation is English.

No smart-*** answers like change to Yahoo please.

New critical updates - John R @ Work {P}
Good Morning Growler,
I have not tested this but it could be the Location set in your Hotmail Profile.

Go to the OPTIONS (Top Right on the banner heading).

Under Personal Options select My Profile.

It will ask you to sign in with your password.

On the Profile screen there is a drop down selection list for your Location. (This may be set incorrectly for your preferred location.)

No guarentees on this suggestion ;-)

John R
New critical updates - No Do$h
Has anyone found a source of update CDs? I know Uncle Bill has gone off them, but yesterday I tried to apply updates to my brother's laptop using dial-up. Several hours later and I needed the line for other purposes.
Sticking with updates, at the weekend I downloaded some updates for Outlook. Halfway through I was prompted to load CD-1 for Office Professional. An interesting request, since I don't have the professional version. My attempt to offer the actual instal CD I used for Office failed to appease the great Bill and I now find that I can't run Excel. Each time I try it prompts me to insert the same blessed CD that I have never ever ever used or possessed.

I'm getting to the point where dear Bill can take his products and place them in a large box marked "Guano" and was wondering if any of you wise and good people have any experience of Sun's StarOffice 7.0? At £45 for a complete office suite compared to approximately £300 for Bill's version it seems rather too good to be true.

I'm a little too luddite to go the whole hog and switch to linux so any experience of using this with XP Pro would be appreciated.
I'm getting to the point where dear Bill can take his
products and place them in a large box marked "Guano" and
was wondering if any of you wise and good people have
any experience of Sun's StarOffice 7.0? At £45 for a
complete office suite compared to approximately £300 for Bill's version it
seems rather too good to be true.

StarOffice used to be free! It's almost identical to OpenOffice.org which is still 100 per cent free. See www.openoffice.org . A new version has been released very recently. Every so often, Sun takes the latest version of OpenOffice, adds a few odds and ends (such as clip art), puts it in a nice box and calls it StarOffice. To be fair, Sun donated the orignal code that became OpenOffice and contributes very heavily towards its development.

I'd urge anyone to try it before spending their own money on Bill's products. It might not have every function of Microsoft Office but it has all the ones that most people use. One nice feature that MS Office doesn't have is the ability to export files in PDF format.
New critical updates - Baskerville
I'd second all that Welliesorter. I use OpenOffice.org all the time--and since I do a lot of work with publishers in many different document formats it has to work quite hard. Export to pdf is very, very useful. One thing to add about OpenOffice.org is that the graphics program it ships with is really rather good too.

StarOffice adds some nice commercial fonts (not that fonts are a problem in OO.o) and I think compatibility with Wordperfect files. We have Xandros Linux running on my wife's computer and they are currently offering StarOffice 7 download for $29 (yes, that's dollars) for their customers. At that price I'm just about to download it.
I like the export to PDF idea. Right, I'm going to go for it.

Ta folks.

ND
For a goodly number of years now I have used the 602PC Suite. It is completely free and can process, retrieve and save in *.doc. *.xls formats etc.

Why bother with MS Office? Go to www.602software.com and get the same thing for zilch.
New critical updates - Dalglish
Has anyone found a source of update CDs? I know
Uncle Bill has gone off them,

uncle bill is actually being proactive now offerring free cd as well as free professional antivirus kits.

for update cd, go to bottom of page

www.microsoft.com/uk/security/protect/alert.mspx

Cheers Dalglish
this bit got left off my copy/paste attempt

"order the Windows® Security Update CD. This will be sent to you free of charge. The CD includes Microsoft critical updates released up until October 2003 and information to help you protect your PC. In addition, you will receive free trial firewall and virus protection software.

The Windows Security Update CD is only available for Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE). "
Guid am from the Land of Sun and Fun to your goodself and thanks for the post.

Thanks for your time in replying. I can't find the menu option you mention but that must be me not you. Why is it MS seems to think Polish is the best option for a guy who lives in a primarily English speaking country?

Like this dumb Nokia 6820 phone I was talked into buying last Tuesday via an HSBC interest free deal on my Visa which does absolutely nothing intuitively and needs multiple key=presses by a dwarf to do anything at all without pressing 3 things at once on its ludicrously small keypad. Nokia must be running out of ideas and desparate for cash flow. As for the 1" thick manual in 4 languages it would be more use lighting my Sunday BBQ because it's unreadable. It's not a proper communications instrument it's a damn fashion accessory.

What a load of junk. Can't stand the damn thing. Giving it to Growlette's Mum. utterly pointless memory options for someone who only wants to dial other people and send texts.

I want to say this is why I prefer carburetted cars with proper electrics that...oops, a non-motoring thread, I'm in trouble again......
I have now got an insane image of you sat on your hog with the 6820 keyboard extended, merrily posting on this site at 170kmh....
growler:

are you acessing hotmail from

www.msn.com.ph/ ?

if so, then that should all be in english !
I think SE has now sorted out all its security loopholes, unless
Bill's boys aren't telling us any more.

Have you visited the Windows Update site lately? Security holes are being found in past versions of Windows (and especially Internet Explorer) all the time.
Audi service CDs - Mapmaker
I am now proud owner of Audi service CDs. They come as 2 CDs and 2 discs. The instructions ask you to put setup disc 1 in the drive, and system CD 1 in the CD drive.

Problem is, my laptop has interchangeable CD/disc drives.

So I cannot run a disc & a CD at the same time.

I have tried copying the contents of the disc to the C drive, but it says that the disc must be run from A/B/E.

I have tried running the disc, and then swapping the drives, but again it comes up with errors.

What else can I do?

Many thanks!

Audi service CDs - No Do$h
How are you connecting your drive/s? Do have a USB port free? If so, around £20 will get you another external floppy drive with a USB interface. Should be able to designate this as your \"B\" drive and away you go.

www.google.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Sony_Sony_MPF82E_1_4...y
Audi service CDs - Altea Ego
there used to be a command where you could re-direct calls to the diskette drive elsewhere, cant remember it off hand
Audi service CDs - Mapmaker
If you could remember, RF, that'd be great. Otherwise it makes my £4.50 (including postage) discs rather pricey.

ND: They connect by being slotted into the box of the computer itself. So either one, or the other. Might be able to borrow one with a USB, good idea.
Audi service CDs - Stargazer {P}
I have a laptop like this, either CDROM or floppy, but the laptop also came with a cable which allows the peripheral not in the bay
to be connected via the parallel port (at a rather slower data rate).

did you get any additional cables? Mine is a Gateway (5 years old at least)

Ian L.
Audi service CDs - AngryJonny
Yes. Most of the laptops I've had have come with a cable for connecting the diskette drive to a port on the back of the PC. You'll typically be looking for a fairly chunky cable with wide plugs on each end. Exactly the sort of thing you'd leave in the box when you got the PC, and then sling in the attic.

Alternatively, see if you can beg/steal/borrow a USB flash memory stick. Then you can put the files off the floppy on the root of that and try to convince the PC that it's an external drive.
DVD rewriters. - malteser
I am having problems with my LG CD writer. It will play CDs, but not record to either CD-R or CD-RW. I have uninstalled & re-installed the device driver to no effect.
This problem seemed to appear, (coincidentally?), soon after I installed Nero's InCD packet writing software. I have since deleted this program as it was not being used. I have also deleted the .dlls associated with InCD.The device manager indicates that the drive is working properly. IT IS NOT!
I am beginning to think I have a hardware problem here. What is the board's consensus on this?

If there IS a hardware problem I would replace the drive with a combination DVD/CD writer/reader as I am struggling to produce CDs of (large) video clips for playing on my stand alone DVD player, which does accept multi format discs such as .jpg CDs, DivX VCD as well as common or garden DVDs.
What advice have our knowledgable crew here? Roger.

DVD rewriters. - AngryJonny
Can you give us a bit more info regarding what it does when it goes wrong? Does it start to write and then turn your CD into a coaster, or does it not even start? Is there an error message that comes with it?

I had a problem some time ago where mine would get part-way into writing a CD and then fail. Turns out that the problem was a buffer under-run. It wasn't reading off the hard-drive fast enough to write to the CD, and when it ran out of data it failed. I got round it by reducing the write-speed of the CD writer.
The data is gathered but the burn does not start. I cant remember the error message apart from the Wizard saying "There has been an error......................." !!
Roger.
DVD rewriters. - AngryJonny
Hmm. If it tries to burn but fails straight away, then it could be a hardware error. But if it goes wrong before it even starts burning, then that suggests a software problem, as it hasn't even tried-out the writer yet.

Still, writers are pretty cheap these days. And if you're looking for an excuse to get a new one, then why not?
Hmm. If it tries to burn but fails straight away, then
it could be a hardware error. But if it goes wrong
before it even starts burning, then that suggests a software problem,
as it hasn't even tried-out the writer yet.
Still, writers are pretty cheap these days. And if you're looking
for an excuse to get a new one, then why not?

It's SWMBO who I have to persuade!

Roger.
DVD rewriters. - Civic8
that sounds like a software problem.IIRC nero uses a plugin to work properly but I may be wrong there.the version I had needed a plugin to record to CD.what are you using or trying to use at the moment.I could not get it to work properly so I went back to easy cd creator obsolete now though but works fine on XP.
I have tried Nero, as well as copy & paste to drive "E"I also tried Ulead DVD movie factory to create a VCD. Nowt!
Roger.
DVD rewriters. - Civic8
Have you checked out the page file size/virtual memory the disc writing program is using.there is an option to increase this size/if there isnt enough virtual memory set for the program it wont even think about recording.just a thought?
DVD rewriters. - Godfrey H {P}
Malteser I have been having similar problems with the DVD rewriter on my brand new laptop. I tried every software trick in the book I could think of to try and fix it. I decided it was probably a hardware problem and sent it back. My investigations showed there are a lot of issues around DVD rewriting, but having said that my Sony DVD rewriter on my desktop PC has always worked fine.
DVD R's. Plus or Minus media - Dynamic Dave
Anyone know why DVD-R's are cheaper than DVD+R's, or which of the 2 media are the best?

My DVD burner will cope with both types of media, but at the moment I only have at my disposal DVD-R's, and to be honest I've made more coasters from them than movies.

The only difference I can see are that DVD-R's have a lower burn speed than DVD+R's.

I think this might be the cause of all the coasters I'm currently making. I'm using Nero software for burning and although the DVD-R's are only 1X burn speed, the software keeps insisting on burning at 2X. When the movie I'm burning is finally "cooked", the first 35 mins or so of the movie is fine, then it just keeps skipping / jumping / freezing. Tried in 3 diferent DVD players with the same results.

I don't want to go to the expense of buying DVD+R's if the same thing is going to happen.

DVD R's. Plus or Minus media - Van Driving Man
Anyone know why DVD-R's are cheaper than DVD+R's, or which of
the 2 media are the best?

DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs. DVD-RW is compatible with about 77%.

DVD+R/W has some "better" features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing.
DVD+R is compatible with about 87% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs. DVD+RW is compatible with about 77%.

When it comes to 'which is best' it is often the QUALITY of the media rather than just the +R/-R bit. Cheaper media often lead to problems. I use both + and - media, both R and RW. But I ALWAYS buy Ritek G04 dye media. Cost a little more, but work better for me.

I am not a Nero expert, although mine burns at the speed I tell it to. I can recommend www.dvdrhelp.com/ and/or forums.afterdawn.com/ for a wealth of advice though.

DVD R's. Plus or Minus media - Dynamic Dave
Cheers for that VDM.

I've bought some Memorex DVD-R's today (£1 each from Poundland) which have a burn rate of 1X to 4X.

I think the problem with Nero is that although I've been telling the software to burn at 1X, I have also been ticking the "Determine max speed" box and it then changes it to 2X for whatever reason.

Once I've finished here I'll go have another attempt at burning The Italian Job that I downloaded the other evening (wow, a motoring link even though this thread doesn't warrant one) as I've still got another 50 mins or so of it to watch. If it fails this time I will just watch it from the hard drive of the PC and use the DVD-R to stand my beer on.

DVD R's. Plus or Minus media - SpamCan61 {P}
Thanks for posting that question DD; I've just bought a new PC with a DVD burner ( & Nero SW) and had the same question. It also wants to burn audio CDs at a minimum of 4x, not sure if that's a hardware or software limitation. Not at all convinced my Vauxhall car CD tuners will like disks recored that 'fast' :-(.

DVD R's. Plus or Minus media - Kuang
It shouldn't really make that much difference - the data is read as pure data rather than being interpreted as audio, so the speed shouldn't matter. The only thing that might put the kybosh on playback would be if the CDR session was left open. Best bet is to run a few tests at varying speeds, closing each one when it's done - it's far nicer to run a CD off in 3 minutes than having to wait for three quarters of an hour every time :)
DVD R's. Plus or Minus media - SpamCan61 {P}
fair point Kaung...suppose I can just cut to the chase; burn a CD at 24x...if that plays back in both cars then I'll be happy.
Zone Alarm Question - MB
I have a question and would be v grateful for any response. My PC has a Zone Alarm firewall and occasionally it asks me whether to allow Syslog Daemon access to the internet to act as a server. I say no and it all carries on as normal.

What is this - it is a virus or something perfectly normal?

many thanks
MB
Zone Alarm Question - AngryJonny
Under normal circumstances I\'d say it was probably a Windows service that wanted to access something at Microsoft. But the fact that it wants to act as a server seems a little strange to me. I\'d suggest denying it access permanently (rather than setting it to ask) and then doing a little research via Google or something to find out what it is.

Can you do a search for it on your machine to find out where it\'s installed, how long it\'s been there etc?
Zone Alarm Question - No Do$h
www.dshield.org/clients/kiwi_setup.php

May not be \"Kiwi\" that you have running, but all the Syslog Daemons seem to do a similar job.
Zone Alarm Question - patently
ZA\'s alert often has a link to a help file on their website. Kosher windows utilities are usually marked as such. That doesn\'t rule out the possibility of a virus having corrupted the file to use it for other purposes, but it is a comfort.

When did ZA start warning? If it was straight after installation onto a clean machine then that would suggest that the server access is normal. If ZA has been there for ages then it should have met all the valid windows utilities by now.
Zone Alarm Question - Kuang
I wouldn't normally expect the syslog daemon to chirp up unless the machine is on a managed network of some sort. There is the possibility that it was installed or activated by something else (eg. tools for a broadband router) but to play safe I'd tell Zonealarm to permanently block it unless you can identify a specific need for it to be there.
Zone Alarm Question - MB
Thanks to all who replied - having looked at the Kiwi thing I wonder if it is an on-line vrus scanner I used (Bitdefender) a while ago that is updating?
thanks
MB
Windows '98 - XP - NitroBurner
A friend of mine has 2 PCs in his house. His runs XP, his wife's '98. He has XP on disk. Is it easy to upgrade the '98 PC to XP without losing any data?

Any replies are much appreciated...
Windows '98 - XP - Robbie
Yes, it's no problem at all.

I upgraded mine from 98 SE to XP Pro, and it's brilliant. Just watch some of your hardware and make sure it will work with XP. I had no problems apart from having to download new drivers.
Windows '98 - XP - smokie
Yes you can upgrade Win98 directly to XP, with the right CD. However, XP does more on line checing to authenticate that it isn't a pirated version. So if both PCs access the internet then you'd need to get a new copy (unlike Win98 where there was no online checking)

Having said that, I always take an operating system upgrade as an opportunity to start from scratch, and get rid of the (many) unused programs. Usually increases performance somewhat.
Windows '98 - XP - Civic8
I doubt it will work as mentioned a new instalation has to be activated by microsoft.as the same disc has been used on another machine you may be charged for another licence.I believe it can be left for 3 months so giving partial use of XP but it may refuse to work after that.another point is if the machine is old XP does a check on the system so if some of the drivers need upgrading that may be all you have to do.but if the components arent recognised it may refuse to install anyway.I know it happened on my old olivetti.not saying yours is that old but some probs may occur?
Windows '98 - XP - No Do$h
Not that I would condone such behaviour, but I understand that a quick google may provide a utility that interrogates your installation and gives you a number of alternative key-codes to "activate" XP.

Naturally I am also unable to confirm that these utilities work.

Ok, removing tongue from cheek now. It's starting to hurt.
Windows '98 - XP - Welliesorter
... a number of alternative key-codes to "activate" XP.

See www.theregister.co.uk/2002/08/26/ms_to_intro_produ.../ before using one. It may prevent you installing future updates and plenty here have discovered the importance of these!

Windows '98 - XP - Altea Ego
Ah but there is a utility that changes the key code to a genuine one that will update (so I hear! ;)) I do believe google may reveal a programe called keychanger
Windows '98 - XP - No Do$h
I've "heard" the same thing.

;o)
Windows '98 - XP - Civic8
The other point I forgot about was according to microsoft XP on activation also sends an inventory of some components.processor/type/speed.motherboard make and type and certain others.any sudden changes in these are noted and checked during updating.if too many changes occured in a short space of time IIRC 90 days it refused the updates.as I remember there was a fair few comments about this on its release.
Windows '98 - XP - DavidHM
The other thing is that if you put XP on a 64MB Pentium II 300, say, while it will tehnically meet the minimum requirements, it will run like a dog with no legs.

On anything with less than 256MB of RAM, there is no point in going to XP. While XP is undoubtedly more stable than 98, it is also much more resource hungry and 128MB is marginal at best - on a 'dirty' installation it would be particularly bad. Similarly, anything less than a ~700 MHz processor and I would be very doubtful.

You will also have to allow a minimum of 2GB for the OS install (as against ~200MB for 98) and probably you'll want a total of at least 10GB of storage on the XP machine.

I agree with the comments about installation being much easier if it is done cleanly; is there a CD-RW for backup of documents? Also, related to the legal issues, on which I will deliberately make no comment, there is the fact that many "XP" CDs are actually recovery disks that will refuse to run on anything other than the original machine. Sometimes even more minor changes to the original system, e.g., just the hard disk with everything else staying the same, is enough to stop it from working. You don't want to find that you have one of those half way through a destructive installation.
Windows '98 - XP - Mark (RLBS)
Unless there is some reason you need both machines on XP, I wouldn't do it.

To do so would be a breach of the licence conditions and illegal. It may also give you a variety of problems as have been mentioned above.

There is no particular issue with running a varied environment, so I'd think a pretty strong reason to change would be needed.
Windows '98 - XP - frostbite
Also, (apologies if this point has already been made) you may well have some beloved software on your W98 machine that will not run happily, or at all, on XP.
Thread layout - harry m
sorry but a dumb question why is this thread in widescreen and all the others in 4.3 thank you.
Thread layout - No Do$h
It\'s due to the way this forum displays URLs. I\'ve been through and amended a few of the longer ones but haven\'t nailed them all yet. Should return to normal once I\'ve nobbled them all.
Thread layout - harry m
thank you for the explaination it\'s returned to 4.3.