ANTHRAX. - ladas are cool
i know this is nothing to do with cars, but has anybody seen the thing about how to deal with anthrax. a leading scientist, has said that if you iron your letters, it kills the anthrax, but what i was wondering is, what about parcels, you cant iron a parcel can you???
Re: ANTHRAX. - Ian Cook
I know a bloke with a JCB who irons Ladas - probably too far to drive one to the north east, though.

On a serious note, I wonder how long it's going to be before we get the "funny powder" letters in blighty?

Ian
Re: ANTHRAX. - Jonathan
I thought that we had courtesy of a bunch of Jamacians at Southend Airport. I heard they had 8 suitcases full!!!

Jon
Re: ANTHRAX. - Malcolm
Thanks to you Ian I have started the day with a good laugh-nice one!
HA HA HA
Malcolm
Re: ANTHRAX. - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
ladas are cool wrote:
>
> i know this is nothing to do with cars, but has anybody seen
> the thing about how to deal with anthrax. a leading
> scientist, has said that if you iron your letters, it kills
> the anthrax, but what i was wondering is, what about parcels,
> you cant iron a parcel can you???

Somehow, Chris, I rather think they'll have run out of stamps by the time they get down to your name on the list. And mine! Don't worry about it, old chum!
Re: ANTHRAX. - Cliff Pope
I think they target contributors to chat forums
Re: ANTHRAX. - Ian Cook
So this means that I have to add Anthrax to my Norton anti virus definitions?
Re: ANTHRAX. - Tomo
Anthrax is not a virus. It is a spore forming bacterium. You can only catch it by inhaling the spores or having them rubbed into your skin, not by person to person transmission. This from my learned better half, who says it is not the medium she would use for bacteriological warfare; let us not ask for recommendations!

What's this Norton anti-virus? Never heard of that sort of thing with BSA.......
Re: ANTHRAX. - ladas are cool
i was only telling people, because if you are a secretary or receptionist who has to open the mail, and you work for a newspaper firm, you might like to know this. also the staff of the telegraph might like to do this???
Re: ANTHRAX. - Sue
And on Radio 4's Today programme earlier this week someone solemnly advised people to be careful of opening oblong envelopes if they didn't know who they were from or if they were addressed to someone who no longer worked for the company.

Has there been a rush to purchase irons by businesses all over the country, or a rush to buy oval envelopes by canny terrorists?
Re: ANTHRAX. - afm
But who cares?

As a biological warfare agent it has proved less effective than a damp fart. One person has been killed, true, but in tha same time 5,427 Americans died from smoking related illnesses, and 2, 145 died from car accidents.

If you got showered with the white powder, a coures of anti-biotics would probably see you right. There is much more danger on the M25 in any rush-hour.

PS I made the statistics up, but they're usually fabricated anyway.
Re: ANTHRAX. - John Davis
Yes the smoking "curse" figure should have had, at least, another couple of noughts.
Re: ANTHRAX. - afm
True, John.

It's a well know fact that only 23.368% of non-governmental statistics are made up.

When the letter bombs started here, there were similar warnings about letters from unknown origins. One bomb disposal man was called out to a suspect post card; it's in his auto-biography, but I can't remember his name. Suspect packages are a culture shock for the Yanks.
Re: ANTHRAX. - Stuart B
Mind you I saw some recommendations today of how to spot suspicious mail.

Tip number 8 was..........ticking noises. This is NOT a joke, it was a serious instruction. duh!
I don't like that 'A' Word - David Lacey
Yes, Stuart - a teacher friend had the same letter this week stating,
- 'Packages with wires protuding and making ticking noises should be treated with extreme care'.
Doh!

David
Re: I don't like that 'A' Word - David W
I now treat all post(s) from unknown senders with care.

Shouldn't be tagging on here for that reason.

David
Not cars, not the A word - Mark (Brazil)
Written by a Brazilian (translated by me) as to why the WTC attack couldn't have happened in Brazil.

A Brazilian's perspective on why it couldn't happen here....

Consider, first we do not construct buildings to the height of the World Trade Centre. Even if we did, at 8:45 am there is no chance that anybody has actually arrived at work yet. Even where they do want to arrive on time and actually got around to trying, the traffic police would have strategically blocked the roads where people want to drive and all the streets where it is possible to park. And then there is no way that the Fire Brigade or Police would arrive at this or any other scene within 5 minutes and therefore they wouldn't have died in the collapse.

A Brazilian would not call his parents to say farewell since he knows that if he tried probably the connection would not complete or the parent's phone would be switched off or outside the coverage area and he should try later.

If the Terrorists had to spend a year in Brazil, as they did in the US, they would already have been victims of assault, sudden kidnapping or have died in a traffic accident thus hindering the completion of the mission.

Terrorists don't know where Brazil is ! Everybody believes that there is no more than one third world country with Samba and Soccer and its capital is Buenos Aires.

Even if the terrorist was here, he would never find a flight manual or any other book on learn how to fly. First he would have to go into the Aeronautics Ministry and and wait three months to pay a bribe to receive his permission to learn to fly, then he would have to pay a fortune in taxes between this area and that area and after that he would have to bribe somebody ahead of him in the line and pay so much that there would not be enough money to complete the mission.
Re: Not cars, not the A word - ladas are cool
good point ;-)