Power steering fluid change Cavalier Mk3 - Richard Huddleston
Or any other car for that matter. Is there any point in changing power steering fluid if it's not dirty or brown?
Thanks in advance.
Power steering fluid change Cavalier Mk3 - Dizzy {P}
Richard,

I haven't ever seen any manufacturer recommendation to change power steering fluid.

The fluid in my Triumph wasn't changed for 26 years (1972 - 1998) and no problems were experienced other than some leaking seals towards the end of that time. I then overhauled the power steering and obviously used new fluid.
Power steering fluid change Cavalier Mk3 - Cliff Pope
Not if it's working properly. I have heard reliable reports that if the steering starts to get stiff or develops other faults internal to the rack, then flushing out the old oil with new can sometimes rectify them.
If you do decide to do it, I understand there are two basic methods.
1) using a turkey baster. Suck out as much oil from the reservoir as possible, refill, run it, repeat, refill.
2) disconnect the return hose NOT the pressure one, plug the hole in the reservoir, direct the hose into a container, run the engine while swinging the steering while an assistant keeps the reservoir topped up. Flush until the oil runs clear.
Obviously the first is less effective, but makes less mess.
Power steering fluid change Cavalier Mk3 - Cyd
Ordinarily, it should not be necessary to change the PAS fluid at all. If you have reason to suspect that the fluid has been overheated (holding at full lock for more than about 20 secs at a time may do this, or repeated use of lock to lock during a turn) or that dirt may have entered the system, then a change may be beneficial.

Under no circumstances allow the pump to run whilst dry.

Personally I'd drain as much as possible by disconnecting pipes and allowing to drain. Refill, run for a few days and repeat.

Normally I don't recommend any additives, but if all you're suffering is a little stickyness in the steering i have found about 1/3 tube of Molyslip for gearboxes to be beneficial.