Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIV - Dynamic Dave
Thread closed. Please see vol XV for further discussions.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21734

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIII is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
Ah! You have the machine that goes "bing - patently
Gadgets the go bing....

Have used two cars that have them. Very useful on motorways - set them for the upper limit of your preferred speed range and they stop you drifting upwards if the rest of the traffic does.

I also tested a Merc with a speed limiter - like a cruise control but in reverse as the salesman explained it. You dial in the speed you want to keep to and it intervenes via engine & brakes to keep you to that.

It was absolutley lethal. It operated via a stalk near the indicator and TWICE I knocked it while trying to indicate left. As it was set for 30mph and I was at about 45-50 each time, the sudden deceleration was alarming and not conducive to avoiding rear-end shunts.

It also incited a tendency to set it for 30 and floor the pedal - the car then pootles through the village "safely". No need to think about your speed any more....not safe, IMHO
Ah! You have the machine that goes "bing - SR
Patently,

As you said in a previous version of this thread, we're probably not that far apart in some of our views.

I am against people breaking the speed limit, but I do draw a distinction between the driver who creeps over the limit by 1 or 2 mph and those who habitually break the limit by 10-20mph. I would be quite happy for those who are within (say) 10% or 5mph to be given a lecture and maybe a lesson in speed awareness, but those who break it by more get punished. The idea that enforcement is primarily aimed at those doing 1mph over the limit is, in my opinion, very much an urban myth based on one or two extreme examples. I know that in most parts of the country that is not the policy, and many people who state they know of many examples turn out to have heard one from an unknown source. And let's not forget that many speedometers read up to 10% high, so someone breaking the limit by 10% could have thought they were breaking it by significantly more.

I think part of the problem is that speed limits are set artificially low on the assumption that a lot of people will break them. For example, the safe speed in an area could be determined to be 50mph, but the council set the limit at 40 on the assumption that many people will break it, so actual traffic speed might still be 50 in a lot of cases. If there wasn't such widespread disregard for the limit, the council could set it at 50 and the guy driving along at 41 wouldn't have to panic and stare at his speedometer all the time.

Another part of the problem, and part of the reason that many drivers tend to "drift" over the limit, is that people seem to accelerate through the gears to what they regard as "top", i.e. 4th, irrespective of conditions - assuming 5th/6th are for open roads. 30 mph in 4th is not ideal for a lot of cars, and I find it easier to use 3rd in many 30mph limits, meaning there's less chance of my speed drifting up without me noticing.

I think there is some distinction in the system of penalty points and fines between a first-time, inadvertent step over the lmit and the habitual speeder. I don't think £60 and 3 points are particularly severe compared to what's available at higher speeds and repeated offences.

The problem is that any leeway given will always be taken advantage of, e.g. allow 10% over and people will drive at that 10% higher speed, and then expect a bit more leeway. You have to draw a line somewhere.

I also have to take issue with your last paragraph. You state that accident statistics have not improved since cameras were introduced, but other statistics show that at camera sites they have. This means that the statistics must have got worse at sites not influenced by cameras. This just illustrates the problem of a measure that was originally introduced to deter people from speeding anywhere (and I'm old enough to remember a time before cameras) being diluted by political pressure to make the cameras fixed, visible, locations publicised, locations determined by how many people have been killed and injured, etc. It's ironic that the same people who say cameras don't prevent accidents are happy to have them sited at accident blackspots to solve the problem.

What is the problem with cameras anyway? They're just another way of enforcing the same legislation. If the legislation's wrong, fix it instead.
Ah! You have the machine that goes "bing - BrianW
"What is the problem with cameras anyway? They're just another way of enforcing the same legislation. If the legislation's wrong, fix it instead."

Pray, how?

The public has no influence on what the Government or Councils do.
Removing a camera or increasing a speed limit is unthinkable as any accident would immediately be blamed on the removal/increase and legal action by injured parties would follow.

So the prospect is for the retention ef every existing restriction and for future additions thereto.
Ah! You have the machine that goes "bing - Malcolm_L
I have to fundamentally disagree with the statement that "The public has no influence on what the Government or Councils do".

Couple of cases in point:
Why are all speed cameras now high visibility
Why have many speed cameras been removed as they were clearly
"revenue only".

Please, please don't tell me that the public in no way influenced
the above.

As regards legislation, it's clearly obvious that the some motoring legislation needs amending to take into consideration modern cars.
Not only do modern cars accelerate quicker, go faster and use less fuel, they also easier to drive, handle better and stop
faster.

Speed limits should be revised to reflect this, I don't mind driving at 20mph if there's a school about,however I think it's patently ludicrous to be confined to 70mph in light motorway traffic.

The recent thread on bad driving showed a government breakdown of accident causes, speeding was shown as a cause in only 12% of accidents IIRC, the main factor was inattention and not looking at junctions.

This would suggest driving test standards should be raised and maybe refresher courses to identify and eliminate bad habits that have crept in?

Ah! You have the machine that goes "bing - BrianW
Malcolm
Congratulations if you have managed to get legislation re-thought. Unfortunately that has not been my experience.
I'd be interested in where cameras have been removed, certainly none have on the routes that I use, in fact there has been a 50% increase over the last year, from 8 to 12 on my round trip to work.
However, is there any realistic prospect of motoring legislation being amended to take account of modern car performance or speed limits being revised or made variable?
I totally agree with you on accident causes. I have been plugging the poor observation theme for years.
Maybe if we had random spot checks on documentation, retests and medical checks there would be some improvement, but with allegedly five percent of vehicles and/or drivers unlicensed, untaxed, uninsured or untested and the ability to read a numberplate at 18 assumed to last until 70 with no other physical or mental infirmities creeping in unless blatently obvious we're on a loser.
Ah! You have the machine that goes "bing - SR
Brian W,

I wasn't suggesting that an individual get the legislation fixed, but that the appropriate course of action is not to break the law because you don't happen to like it.

We live in a democracy, and there's just a chance that the silent majority don't want to see speed limits increased. Too many people confuse the individual not being able to determine their own parameters of behaviour with the public at large having no influence over Government - it's not the same thing.
Ah! You have the machine that goes "bing - patently
As you say, we not far apart. I find myself agreeing with most of your post. I particularly agree with your comments on the selection of gears.

I would rather speed limits were set at the "right" figure - the 50mph example that you give, and that enforcement took this into account. I think there is a lot of what you describe happening - the A41 into Watford from Jn19 of the M25 may be an example (Note: may, as I a not a local planner). I fear that widespread setting of limits "too" low simply slows down the conscientious and gives the rest an unhealthy contempt for the law. Existing rules on camera placement will also encourage cameras where the limit is too low.

Your leeway point is valid, but these matters are not discussed by HMG et al. If it was transparent then we could know where we stood - perhaps that all speed limits were set on the assumption that we would go through safely at x+10%+5. As it stands, drivers who care about their licences but don't have a source of information in the local constabulary are subject to one rule whereas those who don't care or are in the know are subject to another.

I have seen the accident stats for Buckinghamshire. They are rising over the county and falling at camera sites, IIRC. If I or a loved one die in a vehicle accident, I don't care where it happens. I just want it to be less likely. KSI figures were falling; then we introduced cameras and they levelled off. If this is because of human nature then so be it - let's have enforcement/education measures that reduce the accident rates in a way that takes account of human nature.

Finally (I should be at work...) most urban myths are probably false but not certainly false. I have a 50 mile commute; if I lose my licence then I lose my livelihood. I'm not willing to risk my livelihood on this one being false. So I look at my speedo every time.
Speeding and smoking - L'escargot
I liken speeding to smoking. Everyone knows that it is bad for both themselves and for others that are in close proximity, but some people are addicted to it, enjoy doing it, and (last but not least) need their "fix" regularly!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Speeding and smoking - Dwight Van Driver
Well said Snail (Je suis anglais)

.......and both can lead to a very nasty death.

DVD
Speeding and smoking - BrianW
Maybe if cars rattled and shook when driven hard, like when I were young, instead of going "swoosh", the fix could be got without putting anyone in danger?
Speeding and smoking - patently
Interesting - I do drive more slowly when the roof is down.

I'd deny any form of addiction, though. I simply wish to be home to see SWMBO & my children. And I'm not sure where the "buzz" comes from being on a motorway at the same speed as everyone else. And as for the excitement of driving fast on a winding road with who-knows-what round the corner, I call that plain fear and can assure the BR that I do not like it one bit.

I think a distinction lies between "speeding" and "excessive speed for the circumstances". We seem to deploy arguments suited to the latter when someone pipes up to query enforcement policies relating to the former.
Traffic Cops programme - Marky Mark
Did anyone watch this (it may have been a repeat?).

I found the attitude of the young M-Way patrolman very patronising and he seemed to enjoy making the speeder squirm. I am not condoning the actions of the Audi driver clocked at an average speed of 98mph or his feeble excuse, it just seemed rather than explain the situation, the course of action to be taken etc the traffic cop relished in the opportunity to exert his authority over the "victim" for over 30 minutes!

The sort of arrogance displayed can do no good to their public image.

MM
Traffic Cops programme - Dynamic Dave
I watched it. Don\'t think it was a repeat (no \"R\" against it in the tv listings)

Anyway, I was surprised the patrolman\'s patience lasted as long as it did. Speeders excuse that his partner needed the loo, only to still be arguing about it 40 mins later, and the fact that he also admitted to travelling at approx 100mph for 15 to 20 mins before being pulled over - to which the officer pointed out that he had passed 2 junctions and a service station in that time, so the speeder had plenty of opportunity to pull over for his passenger to take a leak. The speeder claimed he was a *professional* driver (lorry) and didn\'t want any more points on his licence. He already had three from a previous speeding offence. So much for claiming to be a *professional* driver.

----
Moderators hat on for a moment, as with all speed related postings, this will get moved to one of the speed camera threads later today.
Traffic Cops programme - Armitage Shanks{P}
I too watched this programme and was amazed that a Motorway patrol officer (operating alone which I thought was odd) had that much time to spare to deal with the matter. However, the voice over said something to the effect that until the suspect signed some paper work the matter could not be finalised. I wonder if you could get 40 minute's of an officer's time to deal with a break in at your home, a bit of vandalism etc?
Traffic Cops programme - No Do$h
I wonder if you could get 40 minute\'s of
an officer\'s time to deal with a break in at your
home, a bit of vandalism etc?

You could if you told them you had caught the burglar and were going to teach them the error of their ways.....
Traffic Cops programme - Marky Mark
I agree, surely it must be better tactically to explain the situation, the process that will now roll into action & then get on with your job. Becoming embroiled in a long and ultimately fruitless conversation wastes everyones time.

Maybe it was just the camera & the patrolman was enjoying his 15 minutes of fame.

ps: I wonder if they speak in their own special vocabularly off duty..."I have to inform you my dear, that I have to take affirmative action and proceed in a safe manner to the toilet"!
Traffic Cops programme - A Dent{P}
I saw it, and I?m with DD. My patience would have lasted 5 minutes then I would have done him for wasting police time, because he was. I?m surprised that he allowed this person to rabble on about it, as if he only needed the right excuse and that would have been all right. I suspect if there had been no cameras the officer would have told him where to get off. I did not find his attitude condescending.

In the other case of the drunk and drugged up motorcyclist who killed his pillion riding girlfriend (of one month) he rightly got 6.5 years, but the crash investigating officer I found irritating. I understand that they might see this too often but every case is different and jumping to conclusions (even experienced right ones) is not on.

And there was a section on mobile scameras, where the authorities where so embarrassed about it they had to call it a partnership, an admission of guilt I think.

Same night over on channel 5 was Mckintyres Steel Wheels, great prog. Basically a scam to catch absconding repeat motoring offenders. Their faces were a treat.
Sadly after taking them back to court, they all walked away with no more penalty, having ignored the court first time round?and crime doesn?t pay?

Traffic Cops programme - runboy
I found the Audi drivers attitude to be appaling. Either:

a. He was telling the truth about his girlfriend needing the toilet, so why didn't he just accept the ticket and go.

b. He was trying it on, which is even worse.

But what could the traffic cop do? Drag him out of the car screaming, tell him to 'go away'? In those situations the member of the public would not take no and it is not as if the traffic cop could just walk away from the situation.

I thought he dealt with the driver in a polite manner and explained the situation in a calm manner in the face of someone who couldn't see the wood for the trees.
Traffic Cops programme - BrianW
I'd have liked to see more of the actual location for the mobile camera.
The fact that traffic was flowing safely with what appeared to be everyone over the posted limit seemed to indicate that the limit might be too low for the circumstances.
Still fail to see how receiving a NIP a week or so later makes the road safer if someone is driving at an inappropriate speed. By that time it's too late and you might be sending it to their executors!
Traffic Cops programme - Chad.R
I caught the last 10 mins or so - did I hear correctly that the camera brought in £16K/day, £60K/week?!! Incredible, though hardly surprising as everyone seemed to be going over the limit on that stretch.

I really liked the way the Police (or civilian?) camera operator confessed to having 3 points for doing 72mph in a 60 zone.

Chad.
Traffic Cops programme - Humpy
Anothe piece of Special vocabulary.... an electric light standard, otherwise known as a lamp post. As described by the officer in charge at the scene of the \'bike crash.

Have we had any kind of light on the top of a post anyway in the last 60 years!!
Traffic Cops programme - trancer
"You could if you told them you had caught the burglar and were going to teach them the error of their ways....."

I am reminded of a story I read (unsure whether true or not) of someone calling to report that his garage was being burgled and that the perpetrators were still in there. Police operator said they would send an officer over when they had one free. After waiting for over half an hour, the man called the police back and told them not to rush as he had shot the intruders and they weren't going anywhere. Within 10 mins a number of police cars showed up with sirens blazing 8-).

No word on what they did with the man after his false shooting report.
Traffic Cops programme - NowWheels
I wonder if you could get 40 minute's of
an officer's time to deal with a break in at your
home, a bit of vandalism etc?

It depends on the circumstances. Police put a much higher priority on burglaries etc where the offender is still around.

Which I saw the burglar running out of my smashed-in back door a few years ago, I called 999 within seconds. Minutes later, I had two officers on hand in a squad car, closely followed by a dog-handling team and then another squad car and even -- for about ten minutes, later on -- the helicopter. They explained that it was usually very hard to catch burglars, but being this close to one was something worth throwing resources into.

OTOH, when I didn't discover a burglary until I got home, police response was at a much lower level.

In the incident being discussed here, we had the offender caught red-handed exceeding the speed limit by more than 40%, at a speed which would likely cause automatic loss of license ... and telling a bunch of porkies when caught.

I didn't see the programme, but it sounds like exactly the sort of driving which merits a heavy police response.
Traffic Cops programme - Altea Ego
When will people learn! As a young and foolish driver, (and sometimes not so young) I learned to pass the attitude test.

Get stopped by the boys in blue, argue the toss, wriggle, smart answers are not the answer. Plod intensly dislike drivers who cant admit, or even worse dont know they have done anything wrong.

Correct attitude has probably saved me about 6 points and £xxx fines in 25 years.

Dont think correct attitude will get you past driving at 100mph plus tho.
Traffic Cops programme - Alfafan {P}
Have to agree with RF here, I've saved myself many (but not all) convictions over the last 40 years. DON'T ARGUE.

As an aside, what do other BRs do when stopped? I always make a point of getting out of my car once I've stopped, I don't sit and wait for the cop to get to me. It just seems the natural thing to do. I know this is not what happens in the USA.
Traffic Cops programme - A Dent{P}
In my motorcycling days I was regularly stopped and didn't argue, got off loads of times. In my last 20 years on four wheels I have never been stopped. Damn that's done it now.
Traffic Cops programme - Mapmaker
Presumably ND was reading the article in the Telegraph on
?Monday. On ringing the police to say that there were burglars in the house next door and being told that they'd send a crime reference number in the post, author of article said 'it's OK, we'll go and sort them out.' Car arrived rapidly iirc.
Traffic Cops programme - Jonathan {p}
It depends on the circumstances. Police put a much higher
priority on burglaries etc where the offender is still around.

I can agree with this. Last year I saw a lad trying to break into a house, called 999, gave them the details, all the while he was trying to break in, finally he got in, the police arrived and he was arrested. They arrived within about 5 mins of my call, which isn't bad in anyone's books.

I gave a witness statement and then followed this up a few months later and was told that he got a custodial, which was nice.

Jonathan
Traffic Cops programme - Greg R
I think that the officer didn't really explain the offence at all to the Audi driver. I personally would have removed his licence from him for 10 years and have his car auctioned away or scrapped not because he was speeding, but because he was tailgating.

Speeding at 100 miles per hour on an empty motorway is in my opinion o.k because it is safe since you have the correct stopping distances etc. But tailgating is the real offence and I was suprised that the officer did not even once mention it to the offender.
Traffic Cops programme - runboy
One thing that does worry me is operation of the police 'in car equipment'. Whilst having to follow the speeding drivers at XXX speed, the police officer must press buttons and read off a display lower down down the dash, as well as panning the in car camera to follow the driver if need be.

I know this may be no more the general public fiddling with the radio, but surely the police must set an example of how it should be done?
Traffic Cops programme - El Hacko
another reason why he should not be operating single handed
Traffic Cops programme - Dereksn51
well I thought that the cop got it about right.For all the guy's whingeing and wailing he was never going to get anywhere.Talk about losing your dignity!!And then I would presume he gave permission for the episode to be shown on national television.I think I would have crawled away and hidden.
Traffic Cops programme - BrianW
Maybe the appearance fee covered his fine?
But not the points.
Or the egg on face!
Traffic Cops programme - Vin {P}
I disagree strongly with the idea that the Policeman was anything other than polite. He had someone in his car who was blankly refusing to accept the consequences of his actions. He was unfailingly polite, direct and honest throughout, and I was amazed at his patience.

V
Traffic Cops programme - commerdriver
Quite agree I cant believe the guy thought that any amount of pleading or whatever was going to get him let off with a warning for 100mph.
In any case not spotting a fully marked Volvo estate with all the flourescent bits should probably have got him done for careless :-))
Traffic Cops programme - Altea Ego
yup there is the sin, anyone who cant spot a fully dressed cop car needs to be shown the error of his ways.
Traffic Cops programme - Pugugly {P}
The DVLA guy - John Moore, featured on the programme. I have met him he is a truly passionate public servant, if they were all like this this this country would be a better place to live in.
No he probably didn't give permission since his face was blurred out
>>at a speed which would likely cause automatic loss of license

he only got three points... (£150 fine, but that's neither here nor there)
Traffic Cops programme - Dynamic Dave
>>at a speed which would likely cause automatic loss of license
he only got three points... (£150 fine, but that's neither here
nor there)

The traffic cop did say "I'll stick my neck out and say you will not lose your driving licence"

The speeder was clocked at 98mph, and it's only a ban if clocked at doing over 100mph.
5 years ago I went to court for 116 on a deserted m25 at 3am by two policewomen, I was nice as pie and even pulled over before they got up to me because I knew they had clocked me. I got 3 weeks ban and a fine. Fair doos and I'll not do it again, what can I say, I was young and foolish and near the end of a long drive. However, when I appeard in court all the people there had been stopped a hour or so either side of me for 100mph+ speeds, but a woman that had been clocked at 96mph got 6 points plus a fine. This guy was clocked at 98mph AVERAGE, admitted to higher, and he only got 3 points. The cop may have stuck his neck out to say he wouldn't be banned but he couldn't have ben 110% sure unless he, perhaps, had added something to his report. Either way the guy said that he would no longer be able to drive if he had any more points so he was up the proverbial creek anyhow....if even that part of his begging tirade was to be beleived.
Traffic Cops programme - scotty
Yeah, but where's the justice? SWMBO just got 3 points and £60 for 35 mph on a four lane dual carriageway. This guy does 28 over the limit and tailgates and still only gets 3 points.
Road fatalities - CM
I know that this has been discussed a lot but I saw a piece on TV last night which mentioned that uninsured/untaxed/no MOT/other illegal drivers killed 900 people a year on the roads. On the news this morning there was a piece saying bikers were 30 times more likely to be killed than car drivers.

Now I believe that the annual road kill is 3500 so if you take out the 900 from TWOCers and other illegals, and the number from bikers what does this leave? I have no idea how many bikers are killed a year - maybe someone can enlighten me?

If it is a significant number then perhaps we are targeting the wrong group of road user and should crack down very much harder on the uninsured, untaxed lot as well as drug users (including alcohol) rather than purely on the speeders.
Road fatalities - BrianW
Yes
Road fatalities - AngryJonny
That's very true... but speeding is an offence which is very easy to police, so obviously the police are going to concentrate on the speeders.

I don't understand why they can't use SPECS to spot uninsured/SORNed/stolen cars at the same time as speeders.
Road fatalities - patently
I really couldn't agree more. And was already in agreement even before this comment was posted - see my profile:

"Main bone of contention is that motoring law enforcement concentrates on offences that are easy to prosecute not offences that present the most danger, and that this is having a predictable effect on driving standards."
Road fatalities - jeds
Did anybody notice the recent report that fatal accident figures have leapt again in conjunction with the increase in speed cameras. Whilst I do agree that speed cameras have put road safety back by about 20 years, as somebody that covers a lot of miles, I am convinced that the recent increase has got to have something to do with the mobile phone legislation.

I have lost count of the number of people I have seen pulled just off the road in the most dangerous places and also people who slam their brakes on to pull off the road to answer a call - and if you look at them as you ease past they gesticulate the phone at you as if answering the phone is now a legitimate reason to obstruct traffic.
Radar clocks Mini at Mach 3 speed - Altea Ego
A Belgium motorist was left stunned after authorities sent him a speeding ticket for travelling in his Mini at three times the speed of sound.
The ticket claimed the man had been caught driving at 3380 kph (2,100 mph) - or Mach 3 speed - in a Brussels suburb, a Belgian newspaper reported

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3613715.stm

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIV - foothard down
I drive mostly in europe and have the same problem as everyone with radar and cameras, so i fitted a detector behind the front and rear bumper it works well and i find to my suprise that when they are on i tend to drive with more caution,i have them for the 20kms above tickets not for flat out down the motorway and in town 50kms tends to be ok
Police speeding ticket blunder - funny ! - SkyMan
Got a PDF of a police speed infringement notice, plus the reply from the alleged speeder. It makes for a very funny read, unfortunately I don\'t have anywhere on the net to post it. So if anyone wants to have a read just email me and I\'ll reply back with it...

mailto:d.darby@cchlawbase.co.nz

Police speeding ticket blunder - funny ! - Sooty Tailpipes
You could put it..

groups.msn.com/honestjohn

in the files section or attatched to a message
Incorrect speeding fine - BobbyG
I am sure this has been covered before but I have went back the last 4 threads (until Vol 15 I think which doesn't have a link posted on it to vol 14).

My BIL received notice through the post today that his car had been caught speeding on A68 near Edinburgh on Tues 6 April at 11.25am.
At that time he was in Wales with the car, as was myself and a total of 20 members of our family. It is obvious that its either a cloned car or a mistake in the time and location of the camera.

What should be his course of action now, step by step?
Incorrect speeding fine - Dwight Van Driver
If what you say B. is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth then BiL is fireproof. No mistake on time and date on your side?.

Write back to the issuing authority informing them that the Notice is not accepted asking them to check their records/photo as it would appear there has been a mistake or a cloned vehicle is involved. Point out that you have independent evidence to support this in witnesses that the vehicle was elsewhere.

It can be asked that a copy of the photographic evidence be sent to you but at this stage they are not obliged to do so.

Sit back and wait.

The authority has two options. Drop the case or push onwards for a Court case on one or two charges (1) Speeding (2) Fail to name driver. To this obviously, from what you say BiL, will plead Not Guilty and with you and the 20 other witnesses appear at Court to give evidence, which if accepted by Their Worships will result in the case being thrown out with maybe costs awarded.

I seem to recall that I have seen this very question asked elsewhere, where every conceiveable attempt has been aired to bend the rules to escape admitted infingements. By doing this the avenues for the innocent are no longer believed and authorities seem no longer to take excuses at face value and who can blame them.

DVD.

PS. Perjury is a very serious crime.
Incorrect speeding fine - BobbyG
If what you say B. is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth then BiL is fireproof. No mistake on time and date on your side?.

100% truth, he has not travelled the road in question for at least a year if not longer. The day in question, 3 car fulls, including his, were visiting the Ironbridge Museum just past Shrewsbury from our base in Wales. Definitely not via Edinburgh!
M74 speeding - Bats
I have been nicked for speeding on the M74 on Easter sunday by a police camera van perched on a bridge on the long Beatock decline travelling south. Letter arrived at my home address before I did. No disputes about the fact that I was indeed travelling at a velocity somewhat in excess of the speed limit. The weather conditions were dry and sunny and there probably wasn't another vehicle +- half a mile from me. Also I am not familiar with that part of the world as I live in the NE of Scotland. The recorded speed was 111 mph. Could anyone speak from experience on what the Dumfries & Galloway courts may hand down and suggest what I may do to mitigate the resultant outcome. I am considering if it would be better to send an apologetic/mitigating circumstances type letter to the court or engage legal representation when the time comes. Any suggestions most welcome.
Ta
Bats
M74 speeding - Mark (RLBS)
>>Also I am not familiar with that part of the world as I live in the NE of Scotland. The recorded speed was 111 mph.

So you didn\'t realise the speed limit was 70 mph ?
On the other hand addressing your question - I can\'t see a letter is going to work. It needs (and they\'ll probably insist) a personal visit.

As to whether or not you do that with a brief; Pugugly may disagree with me but I would say that the main difference would be your level of eloquence and comfort when speaking in a pressurised environment.

If you\'re going to be tounge tied and garbled, then the solictior will def. help. If, however, you feel you would speak well then you\'ll be just as well doing it yourself.

I can\'t believe you\'ll avoid a ban, but you may affect the severity of it.

Having said that, I can\'t say my cup runneth over with sympathy given your speed.
M74 speeding - teabelly
Plead guilty by letter and they may show leniency as you are not making an attempt to weasle out of it. Make plans for how you are going to get around during the inevitable ban. There really aren't excuses as your speedo would have been reading around 120mph which is wayyyyy over the 70 mph limit. Short of pleading insanity and that you thought you were on an autobahn you have no way out of it.

If you want to chance getting a worse ban then ask for the film evidence (assuming the van was using an lt20-20 laser gun) as these guns have been known to bear false witness. I would only choose this option if you honestly thought you were doing under a hundred (therefore no ban).
www.pepipoo.com will have more information.
teabelly
M74 speeding - matt35 {P}
Bats,

Sorry,

I am going up the M74 to a wedding next month...you have been recorded doing 111 mph on a public road - I hope that they throw the book at you and that you are off the road before I am on it.

And that, sometime in the future, you will benefit from this experience.

I hope your driving ban does not harm those around you or cost you your job - but you asked for this?

And you are a primary cause of the proliferation of scameras which affect us all - if you can't do the time - don't do the crime.

Matt35

Matt35.
M74 speeding - David Horn
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Matt. 111MPH is an inexcusable speed - one and a half times the legal limit.

I think I'm, err, batting along if I creep above 80 but 110 mph is shocking. What do you think would have happened if you'd lost control at that speed.?
M74 speeding - smokie
Not sure you'll have the option of pleading by post - or, if you do, and they want to ban you, the case will be adjourned until you can attend.

I used a solicitor for 108 mph a few years back and I think it was worth it. FWIW I got 2 week ban, £180 fine and £20 costs costs (no points).

And I will state now, I am not one of the "lock 'em up and throw away the key" brigade for what I'd call "safe" speeding. However, a short sharp ban certainly makes you think about doing it again...
M74 speeding - Ivor E Tower
Careful, mat35 - we don't know if he just allowed his speed to creep up to 111 on the downward hill, or if he was travelling at that speed for most of his journey. If as stated the road was deserted, then an accidnet at 70 or at 111 is going to have much the same effect/consequences. Not that I condone exceeding the limit by such a large margin.....
M74 speeding - BobbyG
The part of road he is referring to is much of the time deserted, it has long open downhills and very easy to let your speed crawl up.
I drove back from Wales up M6 to M74 the day before you and I was surprised by the total lack of traffic cars, never mind speed vans etc.
Having been on the forum for a while, and seen many reference to all sorts of cameras I decided this time just to set the cruise control at 80mph, which in my eyes meant I was probably realistically doing about 75mph.
However, I am afraid to say the M74 is a political "hot potato" for the police force there, it constantly has severe accidents, many fatal, and they like to make an example of anyone they catch, often getting them quoted in the papers as well!!
Ignorance of roads should suggest more cautious driving, not faster.

M74 speeding - Pezzer
Bats, I hate to say this but my brother got nicked for doing a similar speed North of the border a few years back. I believe he attended the Court (twice as the original date overran)with a brief to try and 'mitigate' and got a mandatory years ban, as I understand it there was no flexibility on the sentence and no-one bothered to tell him this beforehand (this might have been 'his side of the story'as he only hears what he wants to sometimes!)
M74 speeding - smokie
Unless Scottish law is different I don't think there is a year mandatory for speeding. I'm not convinced that a ban is mandatory at all, tho usually over 100 will attract one.
M74 speeding - matt35 {P}
12 days ago a friend of mine was doing 35/40 mph on a slip road -lost control and rolled three times. Following cars managed to stop and get him out.

Police traffic officers measured the road surface and reckoned speed was nearer 30/35 - limit is 70mph.

Inspection of wreck showed instant deflation of a front tyre - in almost new condition - due to debris.

I had to run him around for the next day, at 30mph, as he was still in shock - if he had been doing 100mph plus, we would still be picking bits of him (and maybe others) off the A12.

Matt35.
South Wales Police Officer Not Guilty - wafer
Here is an interesting incident involving an upstanding member of the Police Force.

Day 1
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3629011.stm
Day 2
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3632859.stm

It appears that although there was no evidence to back up the officers claim of pursuit and he had not declared a pursuit until he was caught on camera speeding the judge has backed his defence and advised that there was no eveidence to disprove his claim.

South Wales Police Officer Not Guilty - smokie
So what were you hoping? That he'd be dismissed his job and lose his livelihood for speeding?

Once again there is danger of reaching false conclusions from a press report.

I hope he is able to continue to serve the community doing one of the worst jobs in the country.
South Wales Police Officer Not Guilty - martint123
So what were you hoping? That he'd be dismissed his job and lose his livelihood for speeding?

No, but if he was lying in court - then yes, boot him out pronto.

From the BBC link:-

The jury heard how three other officers in the car had no idea they were meant to be chasing a criminal, as claimed by Sergeant xxxxxx.

Anyway, its over and he was found not guilty.
Brunstrom - greenhey
Yesterday\'s DT Motoring had an article re the much-hated North Wales Chief Constable ,Mr Brunstrom .Guess what, he\'s not mad !
He mentions that 3 times more people are killed on our roads each year than are murdered . It\'s weird how one person murdered gets headline news yet a couple of people killed in a motorway pile-up probably doesn\'t .
So if police are getting their priorities right , they are justified in pursuing speed limit enforcement , the wearing of belts ( in my judgement, still only observed by about 80% of front -seat and 50% of rear-seat users) , preventing mobile phone usage ( which seems to be creeping back up again) etc.
Especially as this is largely self-funding work
He also has a radical, and it seems to me, simple tip for avoiding hassle with speed cameras - Don\'t speed !
Brunstrom - clariman
Yesterday\'s DT Motoring had an article re the much-hated North Wales
Chief Constable ,Mr Brunstrom .Guess what, he\'s not mad !

He may or may not be mad. But he makes other mad .......

www.arrivedeprived.org.uk
Brunstrom - NitroBurner
So that's sorted that then...
Brunstrom - BazzaBear {P}
You state that three times more people are killed on the road than murdered, that doesn't mean that every one of those people is killed due to a speeding motorist.
Also, did you know that deaths on our roads have been reducing every year, for a long way back? Except, for the last few years, since such emphasis has been put onto cameras, the deaths have been increasing. (sorry, I don't have the number of years etc. to hand.
It's interesting how you can read one article, which relates one statistic, ignoring all others, and come to a conclusion.
It's also interesting how often Brunstrom relies on incomplete statistical evidence. Almost as if he knows that showing the complete picture would undermine his position.
I heartily recommend following the link someone just posted for a fuller picture.
Actually, if I've got my pages right, I'd recommend this one:

www.safespeed.org.uk/

even more strongly. Very well written, and (shock, horror) resorting to FACTS to prove it's point.
Sorry for the third post in a row, but just realised that something I posted in my first was incorrect. I posted that road deaths have increased, this is not the case.
The point is that since the introduction of cameras the rate of decrease has slowed. Not increased, as would be the case if cameras were saving lives.
Brunstrom - Roger Jones
Given the total number of of miles driven in the UK (25 million cars at 10,000 miles average p.a. ? at least 250 billion per year, and increasing?), I do wonder how realistic it is to expect any further reduction in the number of fatal accidents below the present level, other than by more advances in on-board safety devices to enhance the chances of survival in any sort of accident. Risk simply cannot be eliminated without making normal life intolerable.
Brunstrom - Robbie
It would also be useful to give a breakdown of fatalities. How many are caused by: drunk drivers; drunk pedestrians; old people and children walking in front of vehicles?

Speed cameras do not catch careless and drunk motorists.
Brunstrom - Sooty Tailpipes
The trouble with this rediculously infantile argument is that if taken to it's logical conclusion...

All drinkers should be locked up
All smokers should be locked up
All people who eat fish caught at sea should be locked up (or the fisherman - not sure which)

Driving a vehicle is a net benefit and a social and economic activity,
- stamping on someone's head, shooting or stabbing them with intent or otherwise is NOT!

Brunstrom - SR
"Speed cameras do not catch careless and drunk motorists."

No, but they do catch people who break the speed limit, so they do exactly what it says on the tin.

Until someone invents a camera that can spot careless/drunk driving, at least it's a start.

Brunstrom - patently
Sadly, IIRC most fatalities involve either drunk/high drivers, motorcyclists, or cars/drivers with some other infringement. Sadder still that road safety messages focus on speed and not other forms of potential danger. Still more sad that enforcement is primarily directed at slowing people down to the (by and large) exclusion of other risks.

It may well be a start. However, if you start in the wrong direction then it can take a very long time to arrive at your intended destination and your passengers can get very irate in the process. They also begin to question your navigation ability.
Brunstrom - patently
Of course, there is a camera that can spot dangerous and drunk driving.

Its called a traffic policemam. We used to have them here - remember what they looked like?
Brunstrom - SR
Yes, I remember them - years ago, before everybody started bleating about how traffic police were persecuting the poor motorist and why didn't they get out of their high-powewred cars and back on the beat to catch muggers.....

Hence the rise of cameras! It's all about efficiency.
Brunstrom - SR
...and there's never been any significant advertising intended to persuade people not to drive while drunk ?!?!?!?!
Brunstrom - patently
...and there's never been any significant advertising intended to persuade people
not to drive while drunk ?!?!?!?!

Of course there has, which shows that it is a serious issue.

So let's also have officers on hand who can detect those who nevertheless drink and drive, and catch them.

While they're at it, they can look for speeding, mechanical defects, agressive driving, sleepy drivers, and so on. Its a question of efficiency, methinks.
Brunstrom - SR
"road safety messages focus on speed and not other forms of potential danger"

Your quote that prompted my query. Not quite consistent with your subsequent confirmation that this is not the sole focus....
Brunstrom - BrianW
Try counting the proportion of vehicles with defective lights: only one headlight or a brake light not working for example.
You will find that about five percent (one in twenty vehicles) has one or the other u/s.
Travel at night on a rural road, what do you find: a convoy of vehicles led by one with only one headlight travelling at perhaps 20mph below the speed limit and a series of people trying to overtake.
Result: accidents.
Who do you blame: the person overtaking for misjudjudgement or the idiot who cannot be bothered to change a light bulb until the day before the annual MOT?
Brunstrom - patently
I don't recall ever "bleating" that there should be fewer traffic police, so not quite everybody took that view.

I was once stopped by a traffic car on the motorway, when young(er) and callow(er?). At the time I was scared rigid but the talking to that I received made me think carefully - not just about driving style but also about other factors, such as how long I left for the journey, how tired I was, and so on.

With retrospect, I appreciate the positive effect that WPC had, and am glad she was there. Her job was about improving road safety, not (per se) being an efficient fine collection process.

PS - Do I spot a note of envy for the desirable cars that were given to the policemen concerned, SR?
Brunstrom - SR
Forgive the slight exaggeration in using the word "everybody" - no worse than your earlier assertion about road safety messages focussing on speed.

There are plenty of other opportunities for education without relying on the police to do it. Maybe if young, callow (or otherwise) drivers would take some responsibility for their own actions they would pursue some of these options rather than wait for the worst to happen. Why should it take being stopped by the police to shake them into action? even if there were more traffic patrols, they can't be everywhere - what if the worst happens. Is it the police's fault for not having stopped that driver at some point to "educate" them?

The comment that prompted the suggestion of a "note of envy" referred to "campaigners" and politicians demanding that traffic officers be removed from their high-speed pursuit vehicles and dumped into Metros or back onto foot patrol.
Brunstrom - patently
Forgive the slight exaggeration in using the word "everybody" - no
worse than your earlier assertion about road safety messages focussing on
speed.

OK. I do see "slow down" messages far more often than "take care" messages, though, and I see speed enforcement regularly but no enforcement of other less tangible issues. On the last long drive that I took, I felt that I was at risk of accident on two occasions; both of these were caused by reckless drivers who was either not looking or not caring; both were below the speed limit.
There are plenty of other opportunities for education without relying on
the police to do it. Maybe if young, callow (or
otherwise) drivers would take some responsibility for their own actions they
would pursue some of these options rather than wait for the
worst to happen. Why should it take being stopped by
the police to shake them into action? even if there
were more traffic patrols, they can't be everywhere - what if
the worst happens. Is it the police's fault for not
having stopped that driver at some point to "educate" them?

In an ideal world, I would agree wholeheartedly. The problem is that such drivers do not realise that they need education. They need someone to tell them, or they need to have a serious accident. I'd rather they were told.

A NIP will not have that effect, IMHO. For whatever reason, they are seen as revenue collectors, especially amongst that group. Thus, the arrival of a NIP is not seen as a prompt to change their general driving behaviour, but simply an indication that they failed to escape and need to learn better evasion measures.

Of more concern is that cameras, visible or otherwise, are avoidable if you know how. Radar detectors exist and the determined speeder knows the camera sites. This kind of avoidance is widely regarded as acceptable now that cameras are seen as "unfair". Thus, the drivers who need their atitudes to change (i) tend not to be NIPped as they know how to avoid it and (ii) aren't jolted into action by a NIP. Meanwhile, the NIPs arrive in droves for those who are generally ok behind the wheel but who drift over 30 from time to time*.

I don't see crime or accidents as the "fault" of the police, and don't follow the logic of your argument here.
The comment that prompted the suggestion of a "note of envy"
referred to "campaigners" and politicians demanding that traffic officers be removed
from their high-speed pursuit vehicles and dumped into Metros or back
onto foot patrol.

Fair enough!

*note that I am not condoning this, and personally regard 30 limits as some of the most important. My point is that the drivers we need to "get" most, are the best at avoiding current enforcement methods.