Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - J1mbo
Hi all, I have had some problems getting my Mondeo started if, say, I have started it and moved a short distance ie getting out of the garage or driving to get petrol then restarting it.

The worse case was when I got it out the garage then left it for two days, then when I started it fired up then spluttered out. Upon re starting it took lots of cranks then I got a big puff of white smoke as it fired up. I ran it for a few minutes then tried starting it a couple of times, it was fine.

I took it out for a run and ut drove fine. Should I book it in under warranty? What would Ford look at? Is this a known problem or would Ford fob me off?

Its a 2001 manual with 16k 2L petrol.

Cheers,

Jim.
Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - trancer
That problem is apparently common for any car with newer engine management systems/fuel injection. Next time allow the car to warm a bit before switching off. The cause is due to the ECU feeding the engine a rich fuel mixture when cold and if the car is switched off cold, with that rich mixture then you will have the problems you describe.
Hi, what you say makes sense but my Dad has a similar age Honda CRV and does a lot more "shunting" then I do and never gets a problem, its also a petrol 2L same as mine.

What has prompted me to post is the smoke (white) that came out the back as well as the strong smell of petrol, i took the car for a run in case the battery was flat because of the effort to start it.

However sometimes I never get a problem and during the cold snap over winter I never had a problem starting.

Could you explain to me why the car gets a rich mixture? When I started today the car was cold since it was left for a couple of days. As you say, when I got the car out of the garage I did'nt let it warm up, is this where the ECU gets confused?!

Thanks for your help.

James
Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - bikemade3

Might just be worth taking it in and getting them to do an emissions test to see if this problem has affected the "cat"
The car was cold at the time this happened so hopefully the unburnt fuel did'nt harm the cat but I might get this checked just in case.

Thanks,

James
Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - Aprilia
Re-read the owners manual very carefully. I think there is a Ford 'anti-flood' feature whereby you hold the throttle fully open and it cuts off the injection - this might solve your problem.
Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - trancer
Wish I could go into more detail about why the car gets the rich mixture etc, but that would be beyond the scope of my knowledge, just think of the rich mixture as a "choke" of sorts to aid in the cold starting. Switching off the car while still in "choke" mode causes an excessively rich condition the next time you start up which explains the smoke and the petrol smell you mentioned. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but if it won't cost you anything i.e warranty, have your dealer check it.

No clue why the CRV doesn't do it, maybe it has a shorter choke/cold start cycle.
Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - Ant
I've had 3 mondeos (1st one my own, a 1995, then a 1999 and a 2003. The first two were 1.8s and the latest a 2 litre. They all suffered from this problem you describe. Basically, avoid just starting the engine from cold and then shutting off straight away. My wife works at the local pub about 1/4 mile away and uses the car. The next morning it can take longer than usual to start.

I don't worry about it anymore. They always start in the end.

cheers

Anthony
Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - madf
I have a Fiesta 1.6 with the same symptons.. and had a Rover 800 with them as well.

Solution I found was to let them idle for about 3-4 minutes after shunting around, rev to around 4,000 for about 20 secs when in place where you want to leave it and then foot off acclerator and switch off when down to idle.

Clears out surplus petrol and stops problem..

madf

Mondeo 2001 Petrol poor starter - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The cause is the rich fuel mixture for cold starting washes the oil off the bores. This results in a lack of compression hence the engine just whirrs over without firing until sufficient oil is present to seal the bores and give compression. Now we have a situation where the bores are flooded with unburnt fuel which puts the spark out. Floor the throttle with the ignition off then crank the engine continuously, this will put it into 'clear flood' mode and away she will go eventually, just be brave and keep it churning until it runs by itself then keep it at about half throttle (2500 rpm) until it is running smoothly.
Hope that makes sense
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!