Is it a lemon - New Car faults :( - Sei-Boy
Hi all,

I hope someone can help us. I am posting this on behalf of my father who is having troubles with a new Proton, please see the message below:

We brought a Brand New Proton Impian from our local franchise Proton dealer in 2002 and we seen to be having a lot of faults on the car from new, these are as follows:

Faults from Manufacture (straight after purchase)

1/ Passenger power socket - wasn't working.
2/ Front Chrome Grill (Rusting)
3/ Rear Boot Trim - Chrome (Rusting)
4/ Ignition key surround light (should light up when door is opened) - wasn't working.

On the cars first service - Garage had to repair the Sump Gasket as it was leaking oil.

Following faults occurred within the 6800 miles (currently under 7k now)

1/ Head Gasket had been replaced twice.
2/ Rocker Cover Gasket replaced twice.
3/ Garage are now fitting a new cylinder heads and rocker cover head due to another fault with the engine.

What is my fathers redress and with who?
Is it with the Garage or the Manufacturer?

And when do we stand as regarding with the Law? (I think this is something to do with the sale of goods act?)

So there that?s the note, I feel that the car is a lemon, but how do we go about getting the car sorted in terms of new motor or other means? As these faults are still happening within its 3 year warranty ? my father doesn?t want to fork out huge repair bills if it happening outside its warranty.

Thanks all, hope somebody is willing to help us.

Mike ? Sei-Boy
Is it a lemon - New Car faults :( - No Do$h
The initial faults would are unlikely to be deemed sufficient evidence of a car "unfit for purpose". Similarly, the other faults are being covered by warranty and remedial work carried out. Whilst I sympathise, you are really into the realms of looking for goodwill payments, rather than a replacement car, Over a year has elapsed, the car has been used, albeit with very low mileage (in itself not brilliant for a car's longevity) and all faults have been acknowledged and have been or are being rectified.

I'm sure one of our legal eagles will be along in a minute with a contribution on liability and who/how to approach for goodwill payments. With pressure, Proton may agree to some kind of arrangement to buy back the original car at an advantageous price, but you have to remember that use of the car has been "enjoyed" (a less than apt term) for well over a year now. Proton appear to be doing everything by the book. Anything extra you get will be a PR exercise rather than a legal entitlement.

Sorry for the gloomy prognosis.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Is it a lemon - New Car faults :( - Hugo {P}
I would suggest that your FIL gets to talk to someone senior in the Proton Customer Services dept and suggest that they keep a watching brief on it and possibly extend the warranty period.

As ND says, encouraging their goodwill is probably your best way forward.

It's stories like these that tend to put me off buying new. Give me a 10 year old car with a good history any day! Disco's still going well and I can't complain :)

H
Sorry for bumping this old topic, but would like to give a bit more update since the last bunch of faults.

In the last couple of weeks the car had to go back to another garage as another oil leak :(

Just this week, the car is steaming up inside when driving, - As far as I aware while driving, all of the windows will stean up within seconds and without any warning - so really blinding the driver and it looks like a fog storm has hit the place. As before the car is going back to another garage this week to find out what is wrong. (Water Pressure Test?)

My parents now think this is getting beyond the joke, as its still within the 3 year warranty.

As before, we have now have a long list of faults from this Proton, can we now reject the car?
Is it a lemon - New Car faults :( - patently
Sei-Boy,

Just out of interest, why did your FiL take the car on day 1 when it was rusty in two places?

Why not walk away there and then?
Nope, this happened about 2-4 weeks after my father took it home.
Is it a lemon - New Car faults :( - ro
This may be a silly question. Your parents haven't accidentally turned on air recycling mode on the cars a/c /heating have they?
This can make things mist up alarmingly quickly in some circumstances.

Thats what I said to them, but its going to be checked out tomorrow to see.