tailgaters - barney100
I seem to be suffering a fair share of following drivers trying to bully their way along by flashing and waving arms etc. I don't consider myself a dawdler but like to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front and show consideration for other road users. There seems to be an increase in tailgaters ..and no...I am not one of the dreaded middle lane hoggers. What do you think is the correct response to this mini road rage? it is very tempting to give a rude sign but I suspect the tailgater may not appreciate it.
tailgaters - volvoman
Sympathise very much. These people fall into 4 main categories (none of which are mutually exclusive):

Stupid, drunk or high on drugs.

Best policy - don't get angry and don't get involved, no matter what!

Let 'em go as soon as you can and be thankful you did.

Making these morons even more aggressive is only likely to cause you or the other drivers they come across even more problems. Take pleasure from the fact that you are the better driver and didn't let their selfish and highly dangerous behaviour adversely affect yours.

Stay safe !
tailgaters - NARU
IMO, the increase is directly related to the reduction of traffic police. As a biker (both pedal and motor powered), I feel the roads are much less safe than 6 years ago.

I was reading an interview recently, where the cause of accidents was being discussed, and the police/accident investigators are being put under pressure to categorise accidents resulting from tailgating as 'excess speed' (ie. that the tailgater was going too fast for their distance). So expect more cameras!!!

I try very hard not to speed, and especially not in 30, 40 and 50 limits. But speeding is only one form of dangerous driving and I wish we'd police the others a bit more too!
tailgaters - Kuang
One of my pet hates is the horrible trend towards enforced tailgating (for want of a better term) whereby someone screams up the outside lane and slots their car neatly into your safe stopping distance. This usually happens on the approach to junctions, forcing you to brake sharply and placing the responsibility for any accident firmly on your shoulders. It's been getting worse recently with all of the wonderful 'traffic calming' measures our beloved city councils are putting into place, by forcing too many cars suddenly into not enough room - it's almost as if they're using the shock value of unpredictable road systems to slow people down. There's a new one in leicester around the bridge on Knighton Lane East/West, which I'm sure any fellow Lex dwellers will be familiar with - it doesn't fall into the above trap, but is still utterly ridiculous and misleads drivers into taking lines through corners that will lead them directly into the kerb on the other side.

Back on track though, a work colleague had a rear ender with a beemer a few days ago. Her argument was that it stopped too quickly, and she went on into a tirade about brakes on posh cars being too good to give anyone behind a fair chance of stopping... sometimes you just sit back, listen, and keep your mouth shut ;)
tailgaters - Bagpuss
On the Autobahns in Germany, they have special cameras (usually mounted on bridges) which photograph tailgaters. If you're caught by one of these you automatically forfeit your licence for a minimum of 4 weeks.
tailgaters - Ben79
On the Autobahns in Germany, they have special cameras (usually mounted
on bridges) which photograph tailgaters. If you're caught by one of
these you automatically forfeit your licence for a minimum of 4
weeks.

Tony Blair, make sure we get some of these in the interests of safety. Maybe you could add a £150 fine to it as well?
tailgaters - Halmer
Driving standards are crap full stop.

From boy racers in bangers to 'rich', sunglassed BMW drivers.

tailgaters - steveo30
i give my windscreen washers a good squirt....they usually drop back then

otherwise just let em race past...you dont want a moron like that behind you anyway
tailgaters - Nsar
I have heard of some people who, when tailgated by a really annoying git, have been known to let their wheels wander into the gravel on the central reservation. It has quite an effect I understand....
I try to follow Volvoman's advice on this one, he is right, but sometimes, just sometimes you know?
tailgaters - Chuffer Dandridge
I agree, poor and inconsiderate driving has been getting steadily worse over the last decade, and it doesn't appear to be related to a specific group. The fact you can drive allday without seeing a police car has to be a factor, people can drive as they please, knowing there is little chance of getting caught.

Yesterday I was forced to a virtual halt on a roundabout by two cars, who not wanting to queue in the right hand entry lane, clearly marked as the lane for the exit I was taking, used the left hand lane to undercut the traffic, then blocked me from taking my exit.

I agree it's best to ignore them and let them go. It's not always that easy though. How do others cope with the anger and frustration, that tailgating and being cut up invariably causes?
tailgaters - Vin {P}
"How do others cope with the anger and frustration, that tailgating and being cut up invariably causes?"

Accept that getting het up will not get you where you want to be any quicker.

Accept that if you react, you're out of control of the situation; you can control it by allowing them to pass/get into the gap/etc, etc.

After you've let them do whatever makes the situation safer, try saying "you're a moron and you're only in front of me now because I let you". Childish, but fun.

My favourite is to say, after you've let them past, "With driving like that, you'll be dead long before me." The beauty of that is that it's probably true; either their driving will get them or the stress will.

Hope these nuggets help.

V

tailgaters - patently
I also spend a short while imagining the feeling of giving evidence against them. One day their inevitable accident will happen a short while after they cut me up, and I will be able to stop, give my details to the innocent victim, and wait for my chance to describe their style of driving to the Court.

So they need to be in front of me for my plan to work, see?
tailgaters - Colin M
Patently, that's exactly the calming technique I use too! Or I imagine turning the next corner and seeing said offender pulled over by a (rare) patrol car who has witnessed his driving.

I saw a very interesting programme about this and the risk management drivers took. The more times drivers tailgate without having an accident, the more conditioned they become to believing it is a safe way to drive. Fortunately accidents are still rare, so these idiots develop driving "skills" they think are acceptable on the road.

I wish we had more driving simulators and regular testing. It would be a learning experience for many people to see just what they could do in the event the car in front stopped, burst a tyre or had other reason to do the unexpected.

tailgaters - NitroBurner
i give my windscreen washers a good squirt....they usually drop back

steveo

You've beaten me to it with this reply...
tailgaters - bradgate
Tailgaters are idiots. I don't do it and I find it annoying when others do it to me. I would suggest, however, that people who find themselves being tailgated frequently might ask why this is the case, and might look at their own driving.

As any journey on Britain's motorways will confirm, the 70mph speed limit is regarded as absurd by most drivers, unenforceable by the police and is ignored by almost everyone.

Surely, then, the '65mph in lane 3' club are guilty to at least some degree of provoking tailgating?

If some people want to drive at 65mph on the motorway by all means do so but could they please do their bit to reduce tailgating by simply getting out of everyone else's way while doing it.
tailgaters - BrianW
We now have a generation of drivers who have never exceeded 70 mph and would consider 71 mph to be a ticket to instant oblivion, so from their point of view being five or six mph below the speed at which they are guaranteed a nasty death is quite logical.
tailgaters - Robert J.
I think Volvoman offers sound advice. I also remember Paul Ripley's comments in his ( much missed) column in the Telegraph. Besides letting tailgaters go passed at the first safe opportunity, try loosing a bit a speed yourself to gain a bigger gap between you and the car in front. Note- not too much or it could be viewed as antagonism, but just enough to give yourself more stopping distance. In an emergency you then have more chance to pull up safety without getting rammed from behind.
tailgaters - carl_a
"Surely, then, the '65mph in lane 3' club are guilty to at least some degree of provoking tailgating?

If some people want to drive at 65mph on the motorway by all means do so but could they please do their bit to reduce tailgating by simply getting out of everyone else's way while doing it."

So if your going 65mph you shouldn't go in lane 3 ?

There is only one lane anyone should be in unless they are overtaking. Nothing wrong with going 65 mph in lane 3 if your passing cars in two slower lanes.

tailgaters - Flat in Fifth
Subject tailgating how to avoid and some ideas on how to deal with the situation is here >> www.safespeed.org.uk/tailgate.html

On the issue of tailgating cameras as some have asked for these.
Don't give HMG ideas!!!!

Personally sure this is not an acceptable solution.

Given the examples above that you are a safe following distance, what happens if someone changes lanes into your space and before you have had chance to fully restore the safety margin, bang flash! you pass a tailgating camera. Or even if someone just overtakes and cuts in, happens every day.

You are now the guilty party.

Often it is more important to know not what a particular sitauation is at any point in time, but how the various parties got themselves into that position. Don't see haw tailgating cameras can deal with that.

safe driving,

FiF
tailgaters - Mapmaker
I like to say, as they drive past, that Darwin was right and that natural selection will get them, and help to evolve better drivers.
tailgaters - Mike H
My response, if in town, is simply to indicate left and pull into a layby (if handy) or actually turn left into a junction if necessary. Nine times out of ten, you don't even need to actually pull in, as they shoot round you as soon as they think you are turning. If safe to do so, I then just cancel my indicator and carry on.

On the motorway, just adjust my speed to traffic in the lane to my left, and move over.
tailgaters - topaktas
The other side of the tailgaters coin is the outside lane hogger (see mapmaker's other post).
I am sure that on occasion I am seen as an OLH by a tailgater, where I would say (if asked!) that I am in the outside lane, waiting my turn to pass someone in the middle lane, and leaving an adequate amount of space between me and the car in front, given the speed (which may well be 65 mph if that's the speed the traffic is moving) at which we're going. The closer the TG gets to me, the more space I have to leave between me and the car in front; this, I think, is seen as provocation by the TG, travelling six inches from my back bumper, who then resorts either to undertaking me or flashing lights/gesticulating etc. I find it one of the most unpleasant aspects of driving these days, and the irony is that my car (275 bhp and a [limited] top speed of 155 mph) could see off these TGs any time, and I'm as keen to press on - legally - as they are.
tailgaters - matt35 {P}
Until someone comes up with a better idea, there is only ONE simple way to deal with these people.....

Keep a 2 second gap between you and the car ahead of you...when the car ahead passes a bridge/tree/any feature on your road....say "only a fool brakes the two second rule" - if you pass the feature before you have said this - you are too close.
If this is too IAM - say Missippi one, Missippi two - same gap.

When the Muppet takes your safety gap - drop back and return to your two second gap - do not become a part of his accident!

Matt35.
tailgaters - matt35 {P}
PS,

Mississippi = 2 seconds!... Missippi a tad less!

Matt35
tailgaters - np
Simple:

1) Slow down to increase the gap between you and the car in front;

2) Pull over if safe - if this is the case you probably should have pulled over before;

3) If not safe to pull over and slowing down does not work, simply slow down some more;

4) If tailgater attempts ridiculous undertaking manouvre, speed up to prevent;

However, if you approach outside/middle lane hogger from behind wait until it is clear he/she is not going to pull over and progress quickly on the inside. On no account give them a flash or tailgate them yourself, or you will alert them to your presence and give them a chance to try to prevent the painless undertake.
tailgaters - BikeBoy
Why do people do it? Is the first question i think we need to ask. If there is space in front and to the left then they expect you to pull over and you probably should.

However when the all the lanes have distinctive speed differential and you are travelling safely behind 10 other cars. Why should you be bullied/forced to pull in and brake just so some prat can get past. If the road is busy then there is nowhere for him to go. However, if he can undertake then the space is available and you really should have pulled over.

Tailgating at 75/80 easy peasy try it at 120/130 as they have the tendency to do over here. Must say it was always nice to be able to pull away when the road cleared. But they always come back as you see the next hazard and ease off.

At the end of the day it's just another driving hazard to assess and deal with nothing worth getting hot about.

BB
tailgaters - No Do$h
3) If not safe to pull over and slowing down does
not work, simply slow down some more;

This helps HOW?
4) If tailgater attempts ridiculous undertaking manouvre, speed up to prevent;
However, if you approach outside/middle lane hogger from behind wait until
it is clear he/she is not going to pull over and
progress quickly on the inside. On no account give them
a flash or tailgate them yourself, or you will alert them
to your presence and give them a chance to try to
prevent the painless undertake.

So when you\'re in front you are driving safely (especially if you close the safe gap you have created by accelerating to block an under-taker), but if someone applies the same approach to you, it\'s ok to undertake.

Just so long as that\'s clear.

Genius. Sheer genius. Can you let me know what you drive and the motorways you use so I can keep well clear of you please?
tailgaters - Vin {P}
"4) If tailgater attempts ridiculous undertaking manouvre, speed up to prevent"

This MUST be a joke.

What benefit will that bring? Let them pass. You know they are doing it (you're observant) and you're not going to move over until they have passed (you're keen to live), so it's safe; let them go. Blocking them will only raise their blood pressure and yours.

V
tailgaters - BobbyG
I just go on the theory that everyone else is driving without insurance and that if I have an accident as a result of their bad driving then I will have to foot the bill for it.

Probably not that far from the truth if you really think about it..
tailgaters - paulb {P}
I hope that all this talk (both here and on the other thread about lane-hoggers) of driving so as to flick up gravel at someone who is too close behind, or retaliating, or slowing down to annoy them or whatever, is TIC, especially the gravel bit.

Suppose you do this and a stone does ping up, which damages the tailgater's car - I don't know, let's say it cracks the windscreen or a headlight or something. I think you can safely assume that this person is a) unreasonable, b) impatient and c) irritable, by the very fact that they are sitting inches off your bumper trying to menace you out of the way. Now you have, as they would see it, caused damage to their car. What is to stop them from either
1) deliberately shunting you
2) following you to wherever you're going and trying to thump you, or
3) reporting you the police and trying to make a claim against your insurance for the damage?

I'm not for one moment suggesting that they would necessarily do any of this, or that they would succeed in 3), but as I said, this person is not reasonable and rage/spite are mighty unpleasant emotions. Can't think why would anyone want to put themselves in a position where this could happen.

Being a fairly hot-tempered person myself, I now always try to remember one of Growler's posts from a while back, in which he mentioned Growlette's way of dealing with tailgaters and other such annoyances: "Whatever his problem is, why do you want to be a part of it?" Now that's good advice.
tailgaters - Graham
Kenneth Noye (sp)
tailgaters - Nsar
Depends how subtle you are about doing it
tailgaters - No Do$h
So what about the poor chap on the VFR800, pootling along a couple of cars back, minding his own business and keeping a reasonable distance from your tailgater. Think he'll thank you when he gets some gravel shattering his visor and then looses control avoiding the hard-braking tailgater because suddenly there's loose gravel and other debris on the road?

If he lives to face you in court I doubt he'll be able to chase you from the wheelchair he'll occupy for the rest of his life.

Same applies to the screen-washer trick. Before doing it, please do a double-check in your wing mirrors to check for motorbikes. A visor full of screenwash is a minor distraction, to say the least.

ND
tailgaters - paulb {P}
Neatly put, ND, and yet another compelling reason why it is foolish to do anything other than getting out of the tailgater's way and letting them get on with it.
tailgaters - spinner
Neatly put, ND, and yet another compelling reason why it is
foolish to do anything other than getting out of the tailgater's
way and letting them get on with it.

.....and that's what it says to do in the highway code; there's no point in antagonising the idiot tailgater further by using screenwash, gravel and other dirty tricks.
tailgaters - Greg R
In a car, I feel tailgating is less of an issue. However, since I ride a motorbike, it is really problematic. A tap on the back in a car will cause a little damage, whilst a motorbike shunt can leave me in hospital. I do enjoy riding, but these tailgaters and poor drivers really do make riding very unpleasant.

When I have a tailgater behind me, I find that simply staying at the same speed and letting them through when you can is the only real solution.
tailgaters - Mapmaker
The gravel 'trick' (my fault, sorry) was: if you cannot get past an OLHogger, then pass him on the right by going up the central reservation and kick up some gravel to scratch his patent shining car. Hope it's pretty clear that my proposal was impossible (plus little friendly dig at a specific BR BMW driver!)!
tailgaters - paulb {P}
The gravel 'trick' (my fault, sorry) was: if you cannot
get past an OLHogger, then pass him on the right by
going up the central reservation and kick up some gravel to
scratch his patent shining car. Hope it's pretty clear that
my proposal was impossible (plus little friendly dig at a specific
BR BMW driver!)!

Phew!

Funny you should say that, though - there are several stretches of dual carriageway round here where water run-off has collected and dried, and there are actually patches of fine gravel that have spilled onto, and over, the rumble-strip at the centre of the road, and I have seen it fly up in a cloud when people have wandered over the line!
tailgaters - Greg R
Irv Gordon offers these safe-driving tips to fellow drivers. He was the first person to drive 2 million miles in the same car in a Volvo P1800.

During long road trips, take frequent breaks. "This is not NASCAR; it's okay to take long breaks to stretch your legs, breathe fresh air and review your maps. It keeps you more alert on the road," Gordon says.

Spend a few minutes each week inspecting your car. "Even the most mechanically challenged car owners can look for low fluid levels or deteriorating belts and hoses. Also look to see that the battery connections are tight and corrosion free. These are the most common sources of trouble on the road. And, walk around your car to ensure the blinkers, brake lights, etc., are in proper working condition."

Adjust the mirrors. "Rearview mirrors aren't 'vanity mirrors' designed for admiring your hair or applying lipstick. Automotive engineers spent countless hours designing your car so that these mirrors would reduce blind spots when driving. Do the engineers a favor, and adjust your mirrors accordingly."

Ensure proper tire inflation. "There is a reason all service stations have air pumps and every mechanic has a tire gauge in his or her shirt pocket. Having your tires properly inflated is as important as having oil in your engine."

Don't drive if you can't stand the conditions. "Is it too late in the night? Too rainy? Too snowy? Too hot? Too cold? When you're driving, it's not the time to be daring. If you haven't gotten enough sleep, if the roads are too wet, or if anything else will inhibits your ability to drive safely, pull over at a rest stop or stay the night at a hotel. Maybe they'll have a swimming pool and a complimentary breakfast."

When your car makes a funny noise, listen to it. "Don't turn up the radio and hope that knocking noise goes away. It won't. If your car develops a condition, take it in immediately. The longer you wait, the greater potential for danger."

Expect other drivers will make mistakes. "Be observant of your fellow drivers. Don't assume a car pulling up to a stop sign will stop until you see it stop. Allow five to six seconds of time between you and the car in front of you. If a car is tailgating you, try to let him or her pass."

Read the manuals. "Your owner's manual is packed with important safety tips specific to your car. Also, it's wise to visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles and grab a copy of the manual individuals study to obtain their licenses. Chances are you've forgotten a lot of information since the last time you read it."

Weatherize your car year-round. "Prepare for the climate you'll be visiting and the season that is approaching, not just the one that's going on now. Have a qualified mechanic check your tire inflation, treads, brake wear, fluids, etc., and let him or her know the type of weather in which you could be driving. "

Buckle up. "It's the most important thing you and your family will do on a roadway. Plus, it was a Volvo employee named Nils Bohlin who created the modern safety belt, which has been credited with saving tens of thousands of lives, so I'm a bit partial."

tailgaters - patently
The gravel 'trick' (my fault, sorry) was: if you cannot
get past an OLHogger, then pass him on the right by
going up the central reservation and kick up some gravel to
scratch his patent shining car. Hope it's pretty clear that
my proposal was impossible (plus little friendly dig at a specific
BR BMW driver!)!

Hello mapmaker. Glad to hear I'm ever in your thoughts. I always wondered why so many people wash their windscreens so often when I'm nearby.

As mentioned previously, the BMW no longer shines, as a result of all the hard work it's put in over the years. Entirely my fault - should spend more time cleaning & polishing.

Sadly, shining is not the only thing it no longer does, ever since an electrical fault came to light this morning on the outside lane of the M40. Something in the EMS has gone wrong - symptom is that the engine stops and won't restart. Very disconcerting, I must say.

Anyway, a mere three hours after leaving this morning I was returned home by the RAC. Until the local mechanics sort it out, I am BMW-less!
tailgaters - NowWheels
[snip]
Anyway, a mere three hours after leaving this morning I was
returned home by the RAC. Until the local mechanics sort
it out, I am BMW-less!

Sorry to hear of your troubles ... but if it's any consolation, just remember that any other car will get you around town faster, because people will be more likely to let you out at junctions!

;-)
tailgaters - patently
Sorry to hear of your troubles ... but if it's any
consolation, just remember that any other car will get you around
town faster, because people will be more likely to let you
out at junctions!
;-)

Thanks.

Sadly, the logic doesn't work for me - the other car is a Porsche. Even the people who let BMWs out do their best to block one of those!

The only car you should always let out is a W123 Merc, of course. Only the politest drivers use those...
tailgaters - NowWheels
The only car you should always let out is a W123
Merc, of course. Only the politest drivers use those...

Hmm, these days it seems that one of those Mercs is probly being driven by a gang of crooks who have just removed it from its rightful owner. I'm inclined to let that sort of driver go well ahead of me!
tailgaters - vercin
Sadly, shining is not the only thing it no longer does,
ever since an electrical fault came to light this morning on
the outside lane of the M40. Something in the EMS
has gone wrong - symptom is that the engine stops and
won't restart. Very disconcerting, I must say.
Anyway, a mere three hours after leaving this morning I was
returned home by the RAC. Until the local mechanics sort
it out, I am BMW-less!

>>
Patently,

I was disconcerted to read of your car's breakdown. Given the symptoms you described I could have sworn that it was my C5!

Regards
Vercin
tailgaters - Mapmaker
Shocking bad luck - and just out of warranty too. You have all my sympathies. I did wonder whether NoW was being sarcastic or just didn't know that your other car wasn't a Fiesta!

(Particularly after my insurance company rang me yesterday and said 'we'll happily give you £400 for your stolen car (less £100 excesss)' My insurance renewal came through the post yesterday as well, and it has gone up by more than they are offering me as a result of loss of no claims. No surprise at all, but still the whole idea that the npv of a stolen car is positive for the insurance company is pretty shocking! No doubt I'll have to give them my money before they give me theirs...)
tailgaters - NowWheels
Shocking bad luck - and just out of warranty too.
You have all my sympathies. I did wonder whether NoW
was being sarcastic or just didn't know that your other car
wasn't a Fiesta!

Sorry -- I was being conpletely tongue-in-cheek, and hadn't guessed the other car was so exotic!
tailgaters - patently
Quick update - the BMW is back on the drive. All praise to my local BMW dealer who had it diagnosed and sorted in 24 hours.

Mind you, some help is needed as to their phone manner. Speaking to the service manager, I asked what the problem was. I was a little nervous as to what the bill would be....

"It needed a new crankshaft and camshaft .."

[thud as patently faints and hits the floor]

"... sensor, so we fitted them and it's ready now"

[patently recovers]

Mind you, the repair bill was still not far short of a new car for mapmaker.
tailgaters - Mapmaker
Misread your post, Patently, and thought that hitting the floor was preceded by something more serious than merely a faint. So glad that all sorted! & the car!

Contributions to my new car gratefully received, all payments to account number...
tailgaters - patently
Contributions to my new car gratefully received, all payments to account number...

I would, of course, but it's all gone on the repair bill....
tailgaters - Mapmaker
Be careful with those Doctors, they're notorious for selling you something you don't really need...