VW group pd engine - AndyT
The 'pd' engine range has been in production for a few years, and it has always been stressed that the correct 505.01 or 506.01 be used, and on here we have heard how a lot of dealers didn't seem to have full knowledge of this fact.

Has anyone actually heard any horror stories of engine problems caused by using the wrong spec oil?

I had read on another forum about some early 115bhp heads giving trouble, but I can't really see that being due to the above as it was model specific.
VW group pd engine - Ivor E Tower
Not heard of any attributable to the wrong oil, but if you have a car with the PD engine, would you seriously risk engine damage by saving a few quid and putting unapproved oil into it?
Think you've got problems? I have a diesel Ford Galaxy which has the PD engine fitted, and Ford dealers seem to have a reputation for knowing very little about the VW engines. I dread to think what got put into mine; fortunately now it's out of warranty, it it down to me to make sure it gets the correct fill at services and top-ups.
VW group pd engine - DL
F*rd told me to fill them 115PD engine in a Galaxy with their 'normal' 5W/30 Economy oil!

This info was direct from the parts system....

Go figure..
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
I don't at present own a 'pd' car, but it would be a strong favorite for my next purchase as a 2-3yr old used car. Hence my concern.

Interestingly enough, my in-laws had a litre bottle of the 'proper' oil supplied with their new 130 Passat for topping up. The message must be getting through.
VW group pd engine - 547HEW
According to information I received at the time of introduction of the PD115 PS engine to the Ford Galaxy, the 505.01 oil was formulated to prevent excessive cam wear on this engine. The reason for this is that the single camshaft drives all eight valves, as well as the Unit Injectors. This results in the cam width being somewhat narrow = higher loading.

Therefore the most likely result of using wrong oil will be excessive cam wear.
Yes, I am aware of the higher loading on the cam surfaces, but judging by the number of reports on here previously about the dealers ignorance (at least in the early pd years) I'm surprised to have not yet heard of any reports of rattley cams/tappets etc.
VW group pd engine - 547HEW
Yes, it is surprising, but maybe explained by the wear not getting significant until 100,000 mls reached. Perhaps not many PD cars have reached that sort of mileage on the wrong oil?

Also I would assume that cam wear would be greater at high rpm. The tall gearing, and congested state of British roads may well prevent continuous high rpm in most cases. On the (unrestricted) Autobahn, not so. But in my opinion the German dealers are far less likely to put the wrong oil in...
VW group pd engine - NickCUK
I work for a German company and actually volunteered to run a lhd passat tdi 150 estate for a year before it was available in the uk. Lovely engine - continued to loosen up all the way until it went back after 45,000 miles. Only shame was that they'd started to fit them to golfs by then and they moved like s.o.a.s