new car advice - Thicko2
Dear all

I wonder if you could offer me some advice. My citroen ZX TD has 140k miles on the clock now. P reg 3 door, probably worthless in the current market.

I have had it as new from a lease then bought it. Apart from bushes I haven't spent any money on repair except usual battery, cam belt (*1). It is a three door however with 2 kids and 1 on the way. I need something bigger.

I am in the market for a replacement. I am think of either a mondeo or primera.

Anyone have any views on what i could pick up 9-10k at auction?

I was hoping for a ghia/sve trim diesel with 10-20k on the clock approx 12-18 months old.

Any views on how realistic this aim is or does anyone else have any other options?

I am value driven. I did like the look of Skoda Superbs, any views on the price these are going for at auction for a year old version?

Many thanks

Thicko2
new car advice - Carse
Thicko02,

You do not need to risk going to an auction. Trade sales (www.trade-sales.co.uk)are offering cars at prices ranging from 10k for a nearly new Mondeo 2.0l TDCI LX to 11,999 for a brand new (pre-registered) 1.6 Ghia, and a lot of models in between.

Worth a look I think

Carse
new car advice - Carse
Additionally they are doing Nissan Primera 1.8 SVE TEKNA 4DR SALOON brand new (pre-registered) for 10,699

Carse
new car advice - machika
Have you considered a Citroen C5, as you have already had very good service from a ZX. The HDI diesels are excellent and this has got to be the cheapest car in its class.

www.drivethedeal.com have the 2.0 HDI LX at under £11.5K (with metallic paint) and the 2.2 HDI VTR for just over £13k. We have a 2.2 HDI auto, and the engine is very smooth, much smoother than the 2.0 TDCI in the Mondeo, I think. This is our third Citroen inside almost ten years and we still have our 1994 Xantia TD, which has been an excellent car.
new car advice - Thicko2
Thanks for these tips.

I am wondering what discount on top of these (if any) could be had at auction.

Considered a C5, however build quality on ZX has made me question this has an option.

Any further advice anyone?

Many thanks

John
new car advice - smokie
You see very few brand new cars at auction...
new car advice - Thicko2
Yes Smokie that's why I was asking what I could get in my paramaters in the first post 12-18 months old, 10-20k miles and 9-10k.

Specifically I was interested in primera, mondeo and superb.

Thicko2
new car advice - No Do$h
judging by this report from last year, you may save a bit more than you think

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/index.htm?news_id=1055
new car advice - machika
You shouldn't compare the build quality on ZX with a C5. I had a ZX and would agree that it's build quality was not great. However, the build quality of the Xantia was superb.

I consider the cabin materials and design in the C5 to be better than the Mondeo and the seats and driving position are much better than in the Xantia. I think they have ironed out quite a few of the problems that were identified in the early C5s.
new car advice - DavidHM
Skoda Superbs are relatively rare and not that cheap. Probably Mondeos or Primeras would be cheaper in fact, certainly at the same trim level.

If you're willing to drop a trim level or two, brand new could be the way forward. Auctions will knock a few hundred off the price, not much more - the supermarkets buy in bulk and work on thin margins as very little is likely to go wrong with these cars.

Brokers will source a very nice diesel Primera or Mondeo (LX or S) spec under £12k, but £9,500 sounds about right for a higher spec diesel at 18k/18 months. Just try to establish that the car has the right stamps in the service book and a valid manufacturer's warranty, and is warranted HPI clear - that should minimise the risk you're taking.
new car advice - Thicko2
Thanks for the very helpful tips DavidHM.

Like a previous thread I just negoitiated a primera SE+ for 13k dead in 20 minutes.

Interesting comparison to ponder, this or 9.5k for something as mentioned by David.

My value driven approach would still be for the auction route however I am a novice about this, auction buyer perhaps?

Thicko2
new car advice - Chris75
I have recently been searching for a new (used) car.

Motorpoint were selling 03 plate Mondeo estates (1.8lx) for £9499.00 & TDCI 115lx for £10999. Trade in prices are VERY low, but this may not be relevant for you.
new car advice - Thicko2
Right I am off to Blackbushe for a look around tomorrow. I note there is a nissan finance sale.

Any tips people can advise:

what price guide to take

buyers premium (i understand this includes HPI check)

payment (I don't think I will be buying but just in case - debit card?)

Inspection tips

Many thanks
new car advice - Thicko2
Well I went yesterday.

Missed the excitment of the plane crash.

Ended up buying a volvo s40 se. 51 reg (dated jan 2002). High spec leather seats, climate, cruise, cd etc, 22k miles.

Not warranted but appropriate main dealer stamps.

Won auction at 7k. It was a provisional and paid 7.3k.

Well it's too late now but any views, good buy, average or bad.

Thicko2