Computer Related Questions. Volume 7 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 8 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21169

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 7. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Replacing a processor - Mike H
I've just bought a 1.4GHz processor for my Pentium 3 machine, which is currently 866MHz. I have checked that it is a socket 370 (same as at present) so I'm assuming it's just a plug in jobby. My son has already alerted me that I may have to upgrade the cooling. Although I've done a few upgrades before (CD-R, memory, extra hard disk, network card etc) I've never tried replacing the processor....is there anything different to this particular upgrade I should be aware of before I start??
Replacing a processor - Kuang
There are a few things to be aware of:

* Does the board support that speed of processor? There's a little more to it than just whether or not it fits in the slot. It needs to have voltage multipliers that go high enough.

* Does the motherboard automatically work out what speed the processor is? If not, you might need to manually set the speed either through the bios, or by setting jumpers on the motherboard. If this is the case, you'll need the motherboard manual to work out the new settings.

* Be careful when putting a new fan on - larger fans can often foul motherboard components around the processor slot. You also need to make sure than you don't allow the screwdriver to slip off the fan catch when you're fitting it and hit the motherboard, or you can break the whole thing, and also that the fan is rated high enough for the processor. You shouldn't need to worry about heat paste anymore, as the pad on the base of the fan should be more than adequate for a 1.4

Thanks Kuang, I'm glad I posted the question. I'll have to check these points out. I don't have a motherboard manual, but I do have a useful little utility called Aida32 which points me at the right places for most of my hardware. I'll check it out. FWIW, I don't know what the motherboard is but the actual machine is a Dell Dimension 4100 which is about 3 years old.

Like cars, I just knew it wasn't going to be as easy as plugging in the new part!
Replacing a processor - Altea Ego
Re the cpu

YOu should be ok with the existing cooling solution, a 1.4 is not a huge heat monster.

The motherboard jumper or bios setting should be available from the dell support web site. Your motherboard may be autsensinfg or not the manual will tell you. Finally a warning or two

1/ Dells are not made for upgrades, dont be suprised if it dont work, they use a very crippled bios.
2/ The FSB (front side bus) speed (the one that clocks the cpu) may be wrong, so dont be suprised again if it dont work.

now you have it - its always worth a try, it may work. Be crefull with your old one however, you may need it.
Replacing a processor - Welliesorter
Interesting. I have a 933 MHz (September 2000 vintage) Dell 4100. It wouldn't occur to me to try to upgrade the processor so I'd be curious to know of the outcome. RF is right in saying these machines aren't really made for upgrading. On the other hand, they are well made and reliable.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing mine for a while. It still does most of the things I need so there's no incentive just yet.
Well, if it works, it's cheaper than a new machine! And of course, none of the hassle of migrating software, email etc. OK, it'll never be a ball of fire but I only use it as the equivalent of an office machine (Word, Excel, email, internet etc) - no gaming.
Seems that the motherboard (Intel) doesn't support anything faster than 1.0Ghz. Perhaps a stupid question, but does this the 1.4ghz processor isn't going to work - or perhaps just wasn't around when the motherboard was made?
Replacing a processor - Altea Ego
It could mean both. Seriously with your situation the only way you will know is to try. As long as its has a working cooler on (and probably without, Pentiums shut down when thermal threshold breached unlike AMDs which fry) you will not damage the new chip by trying.

YOu could try the intel support site for a bios upgrade for your motherboard.
Well, I tried fitting the new processor at the weekend but appear to have trashed my computer in doing so. The first thing that happened was the heat sink became detached from my old 866Mhz processor. Then I put the new 1.4Ghz one in & nothing happened other than a bit of chatter from the hard drive - it didn't even light up the monitor. So I put the old chip back in - getting random problems but essentially it won't get further than reading the hard disk, turning the monitor out of standby, then stopping - sometimes halfway through displaying the Dell logo, sometimes random characters on the screen, sometimes error message saying it can't find PCI.SYS and to reload the operating system........won't even boot from floppy or the support disk.

Unless anyone has got any better ideas I shall be buying a new motherboard. In the interim my old W95 Tiny has been brought back into use! I've managed to slave in the hard disks from my Dell to extract the data I need.

So much for a cheap and easy upgrade!!
Norton Anti Virus - BobbyG
Hi, i am running the above and do live updates regularly (daily just now). I am receiving a lot of viruses just now due to various friends having been infected. I use Outlook Express.
When I click on the attachment I get the warning that it contains a virus etc etc however some of my relatives who are also running Norton, tell me that theirs warns of the virus as soon as OE actually receives the email, as opposed to when you click on the attachment.

Why the difference? Does it mean mine is perhaps not working as it should be?
Norton Anti Virus - Mike H
We have the same in our office - but could it be that your relatives are running different versions of Windows, different versions of Norton, perhaps some of them are using Outlook instead of Outlook Express? Do they have a preview pane configured? I have never bothered looking at it in detail because either way the viruses are picked up at some point.
Norton Anti Virus - Welliesorter
Norton normally scans e-mail as it is sent and received. It doesn't seem to care which e-mail program you're using. I'm not sure why yours doesn't do this unless it's a very old version. Is there anything in the settings to enable this? I'm not in a position to check as I'm currently using the free version of AVG Anti-virus. My copy of Norton was due for an ugrade and I'm too tight to pay for another year.
Norton Anti Virus - BobbyG
I will check that out but mine is always "running" ie has the Auto Protect enabled.
I will search through to see if there are any options to scan on receipt.
Norton Anti Virus - Mike H
Try www.softwareselect.co.uk/ - unboxed OEM, but Norton 2003 for £18, 2004 for £22. As cheap as a new years licence!
Norton Anti Virus - Welliesorter
Try www.softwareselect.co.uk/ - unboxed OEM, but Norton 2003 for £18, 2004
for £22. As cheap as a new years licence!

They also have Systemworks for not much more. This includes Norton Antivirus and Ghost (mentioned in Kuang's post below).

It doesn't mention how long you get virus updates though. The OEM version of NAV that came with my PC was only for three months and a colleague who bought an HP at Christmas has found hers expired too.
Migrating to second hard disk - Mike H
About a year ago I installed a second hard disk in my machine - adding 80Gb with a faster spin speed, seek time & cache. When I upgraded my OS from Windows ME to XP, I stupidly put the windows directory on my old hard disk - 20Gb & three years old. There are no problems as such, but I suspect it would significantly speed my machine up if I had the operating system on my newer drive (which I've installed as my D: drive) judging by the amount of disk chatter I get from the older drive. The question is, is there an easy way to move the OS to the newer faster drive with uninstalling & reinstalling Windows? I know there are utilities for migrating data and programs across drives, but I'm not sure whether it is possible or desirable in this case.

Any comments or words of advice gratefully received!
Migrating to second hard disk - Kuang
By far the easiest way to do this would be to use Symantec Ghost - it's a program that allows you to effectively store an 'image' of a partition or drive to be used in other places, or to wholly transfer the contents of an existing partition to another drive or partition. It's a simple matter of booting it from a floppy, selecting copy>partition>from existing partition, and waiting for a bit :)

Bear in mind (if you've installed software on the 80Gb drive) that the drive letters will probably end up different after the entire operation, and so it's unlikely to run properly.

If you have partitions C(20gb) and D(80Gb), the best bet would be to make a 40Gb Primary/40Gb extended split on the 80Gb drive, shuffle the data up into the second 40Gb, ghost the 20Gb drive to the first 40Gb partition, and then Fdisk/reformat the 20Gb as a second drive.

Make sure that you only make an EXTENDED partition on this second drive though (NOT a primary) or the drive letter will appear after the first partition on the 80Gb and louse everything up. This will leave you with C(40)/D(40)/E(20)

Oh, and make sure you reset the drive jumpers ;)
Kuang, you're a mine of information!

So how do I repartition the 80Gb drive into two without losing the existing data (which is only data) - presumably something like Partition Magic or similar?
Migrating to second hard disk - Kuang
Precisely that! (or a derivative thereof) :)
Migrating to second hard disk - keo-the-dog
try seagate disc wizard just search for seagate i used it after installing bigger drive it gives you all sorts of options like changing boot drives without messing around with jumpers etc. quite easy to use as well which is a bonus if you are like me (not particularly clever with computers).
cheers...keo
Migrating to second hard disk - Altea Ego
Why not leave the OS where it is and move the swap file to the faster drive?

control panel, system, advanced, performance/settings, advanced,
virtual memory/change
Thanks, I'll try this when I get home - just what I like, quick & easy fixes!
Migrating to second hard disk - frostbite
Happy to endorse that recommendation for Seagate Disk Wizard! It's a superb program, and it's free.
creative webcam - Imagos
just bought a creative webcam model PD1001 it works fine on yahoo messenger but i simply cannot get it to work on msn messenger, have tried turning off firewall but to no avail. (cam on yahoo works fine with firewall on)

any ideas anyone thanks ... :->
creative webcam - Altea Ego
How are you connected to the web? If its through ADSL and a router I think you need to open a port and not use NAT (ie passthro). If its dial up modem or ADSL through a usb modem then I dunno!
creative webcam - Imagos
i'm on BT ADSL broadband using USB port and external modem. how do i open port? NAT?? gone a bit over my head now!! thanks anyway
Dont worry - does not apply if you are using a USB ADSL modem.
What version of MSM are you using?
creative webcam - Imagos
it's version 6:1
When you open 6.1 click tools and then web camera settings does it recognise the camera is present?
creative webcam - Imagos
if you click on tools and go to webcam settings a new window opens the screen is a grey blank it also asks at bottom which camera do you want to select, only option is 'creative webcam WDM'

thanx for help
and what happens when select the camera? Does the grey box say "MSM messenger can not detect a camera" and all the settings on the right greyed out?

One word with cameras, you have to read the install instructions carefully. ie the sequence is normally load the driver cd first, then plug the camera in. If you do it the other way round the wrong drivers get loaded.

Try uninstalling and starting again.
creative webcam - Imagos
no that message doesn't appear also the settings aren't greyed out i can adjust the bars ie brightness etc i think (but not 100% sure) that drivers ok as works fine on yahoo messenger :-(
Dunno then, exhausted my remote skills. Tried the Creative web site for the latest drivers or technical support?
creative webcam - pienmash
try setting up the cam and mic wizard in th e tools option of messenger
Linux - what's it like? - drbe
The DT today (Tuesday 23.03) has an article on Linux - the low cost computer operating system.

Have any BRers used it? Is anyone running it now, what's it like?
The plus side seems to be the very low cost, but what about the lack (presumably) of other users to compare notes with.

Comments would be appreciated, as I intend to replace my PC shortly.

Don drbe
Linux - what's it like? - Altea Ego
I think it?s entirely dependent on what you use your PC for. If it?s just for web browsing and simple MS office documents and you don?t have unusual or exotic hardware then yes one of the Linux variations with star office or open office will be ok, and fast and cheap. If you use a lot of MS specific applications then No it will not be suitable

Now this is a personal opinion, based on professional experience, and will enrage Linux activists but Linux on the desk top for non technically savvy people is not yet
a viable alternative. No ordinary user should have to re compile the kernel to make things work, or hunt around the internet to make things work, still a common occurrence I am afraid.

Ducks for cover.
Linux - what's it like? - smokie
I'm right behind RF on this, all these propellor heads banging on about how much better Linux is, when all you get is a hand cranked OS which can't natively support much at all, but requires a lot of support and knowledge to make it work. And a bunch of free or cheap programs emulating the functionality of Microsoft Office.

For a cheap easy-to-install-and-run all singing all dancing operating systems with good range of bolt-ons, you can't do better than Windows (preferably XP).

All you need do is keep abreast of the security updates and keep your virus scanner up to date. What's the big deal in that? Linux hasn't become the target for script kiddies and the like solely because it hasn't got such a large and attractively easy to hit population - it isn't intrinsically safer. Most people that use Linux are more savvy about how to protect themselves - I'm sure if people put their minds to it then Linux could be proved just as vulnerable.

Linux - what's it like? - Baskerville
I've been using Linux for just over a year now for everything. I write and edit books using Open Office, use Scribus for page layout, and there is a GNU/Linux product for just about everything else--only Photoshop is not yet quite matched, though The Gimp is getting there. However my wife works for an employer that won't allow anything other than Microsoft proprietary files, so she has a computer running Xandros Linux. For $90 Xandros installs a full system in twenty minutes (I am not exaggerating), fully automatically. It even handles partitioning the hard disk. The bonus is it comes with a program called CrossoverOffice, which allows you to install Windows programs in Linux. I'm using her machine right now and it has XP Office installed and running fine on it--it installed using the Windows installer. It can apparently also handle stuff like Photoshop. You also get free with Xandros a program called Win4Lin, which allows you to run Windows 95/95/ME natively inside Linux.

As for the security, well, Linux distributions usually come with all the ports closed by default, no servers running by default (there are loads running in Windows), and nothing will install automatically (so no spyware). Plus every user has a separate user account with limited privileges, so no user-controlled programs run with administrator privileges, so they can't be taken over easily and used against you (MS Outlook/IE anyone?). Linux has its vulnerabilities, sure, but worms won't spread with the speed they do on Windows simply because the architecture is designed to stop them. Windows was never meant to be networked, so the architecture is more open, for ease of use.

Anyway, it's free, so why not try it? Download Mepis or Knoppix and run them from the CD while you try them out, so no changes to your hard disk. What's not to like?

Linux is different, and some people find that scary, but it's not difficult any more. If it was I wouldn't be using it because I'm certainly no geek.

Chris
Linux - what's it like? - smokie
I'm an ex-geek (used to burrow deep in the internals of operating systems and core dumps diagnosing problems and writing fixes, and recover data on crashed disks manually for a living...!).

Having spouted all that stuff further up, I realised that it's probably a year since I looked at Linux so I will take your advice and give it a free try (when I have time).
Linux - what's it like? - Pezzer
Chris, I have seen a couple of your and other BR's posts on this subject and downloaded Knoppix as a result, I've only had one 'play' with it so far and apart from not being able to find my wireless network connection and my display being a bit fuzzy it all seemed pretty good considering how it is delivered. I am very tempted to instal Linux as a main OS as I only really use my PC for Web Based transactions /Browsing,Email and Multi Media Stuff etc, but the one thing that I thought would give me a problem was the kids PC games, would the Crossover program that you mention manage these ? On this basis is Xandros preferable to Mandrake or is there something else worth considering..........many thanks
Pezzer

Firstly, to your most important point: your kids' games. Most Linux distributions include a disk partitioner so that you can have Windows and Linux on the same hard disk. That way if your kids want to play they can boot Windows if they want from a menu that you see when the computer starts up. There are some quite good, simple games for Linux (Tux Racer and Frozen Bubble are totally addictive) but this is one area where it's weak, largely because of market share. Crossover will run some games, but it will be hit or miss as it's primarily designed for the big commercial Windows-based apps.

I'm generally a Mandrake Linux fan, but I must say for ease of install and documentation Xandros is by far the best I've tried. I installed it at the weekend. You have to pay for Xandros, but you get every piece of software you could imagine from a trusted download source (Xandros Networks), plus the commercial Crossover program which itself retails for $90, the same as Xandros with Crossover built in. Have a look at some of the forums for these products--they are where you will get most of the help--and work out what looks best for you. If you go for Xandros I recommend getting a box set so you have the manuals, but a broadband connection is useful for the software repository.

In terms of hardware compatibility, Xandros is based on the Debian distribution, so Knoppix, or better still Mepis Linux (also a live-CD based on Debian) should give you an idea of whether your setup will work. If there's anything you have that seems flaky, ask in a forum to see if it is supported. As with games, market share means that major manufacturers have been slow to support Linux with their own drivers, but HP and NEC, to name a couple, now provide drivers and others will surely follow. HP even sells Linux-installed PCs these days.

The main thing is to check first that your hardware is supported and don't be afraid to ask. As far as I'm concerned Xandros wins in the ease of use stakes, but Mandrake is more fun for tinkering (it installs easily too but its automatic hardware detection is not as good). We have three computers here, ranging in age from seven years to one year old and various flavors of Linux are running on them, all connected to a wireless network, so the hardware issue is fading fast. In any case, you can "dual-boot" so you don't have to go 100% Linux until you are good and ready. I never made a decision to stop using Windows, I just discovered I had.

I hope that helps. Just keep in mind that Linux is different. It does take a while to get out of the Windows way of doing things, but it's no harder once you have. As you may be able to tell, Linux has awakened an interest in computers that I never had before.

Chris
Linux - what's it like? - malteser
Hmm - I couldnt get either Mepis OR Knoppix to instal via CD. Requests for advice on the Mepis forum met with no response!
The CD could boot part of the way - even to showing the cute little penguin -but failed in recognising something (can't remember what exactly) and as I am 2000 miles from home & using my daughter's PC I can't look it up!
Oh well I guess I'll stick with Bill's stuff for now
Roger.
I'm really surprised by that Malteser. I've been handing out Mepis disks like boiled sweets and nobody has yet reported a problem--mostly people are amazed by it (and slightly worried by how easy it is to access "password protected" files from Windows using it). A friend of mine is a sys admin at a major UK university and he uses Mepis to repair their Win2000 network!

The only time I had trouble was with an old VGA monitor, which Mepis didn't detect correctly. From my fairly limited experience Windows soldiers on with incompatible or marginal hardware, often in an unstable and unreliable state. When Linux finds something it doesn't like it just won't work. Which is better in this respect I don't know. I wonder if the machine you're using has something esoteric or very Windows-specific lurking in there.
Linux - what's it like? - Kuang
As with anything, the important thing is whether or not the OS will do the tasks you want in a way you're comfortable with.

Linux has come a long way in the last few years (and by that I mean the linux kernel - the core of the operating system). It supports far more devices than ever with less fuss, although it can still throw you sideways when something goes wrong. Linux desktops (KDE, Gnome) now have functionality at least on a par with Windows XP and in some senses actually better (give or take a few minor quirks) and are far less intimidating than they used to be. Software is largely free, or at least very cheap, and the coding community seem to be very proactive when it comes to bugfixes - it's more a matter of pride than income to many.

Is it all rosy though? Well.. no, unfortunately. Whilst it's a remarkably cost effective system, there's still a beast lurking under the snazzy facade. When Linux goes wrong, it often goes seriously wrong, and you won't be fixing it through control panels. Even getting your screen back if you inadvertantly set a wrong graphics mode can be an exercise in configuration file hacking and biting your tongue.

You may also find that Linux will either throw a wobbly with certain hardware, or the drivers may not give you the same level of functionality you're used to. Be prepared for some older printers and scanners not to work at all.

Then there's the security issue that people often rant about. I'll stick my neck out here and say that a typical Linux distro is just as prone to holes and vulnerabilities as a typical windows setup, but ther issue is that it's often harder to patch for those vulnerabilities. Newer systems (current Red Hat and SUSE, for example) do have one-click patching systems similar to Windows Update, but these don't rule out the potential for getting your hands dirty at some point. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, of course, but it all depends on whether you want your OS to work for you, or the other way around.. ;)

It's horses for courses when all's said and done. If you want to keep clear of Microsoft products for whatever reason, you just carry out day to day tasks (photo editing, internet, word processing & office type activities, maybe the occasional desktop game to kill time) and you run a fairly simple setup with well known hardware then Linux will probably do you just fine for very little money. If, on the other hand, you want something well known with high street off-the-shelf software support and consistency with almost any other computer you'll work on day to day, then it has to be Windows.

No substitute for experience though - grab a hold of Knoppix for free, test drive it alongside Windows for a while and see how it goes :)
Linux - what's it like? - Welliesorter
I wasn't going to bother adding to this topic because ChrisR has covered it pretty well. I'm mildly concerned that Kuang's post, while accurate, might frighten people unnecessarily.

Most of my recent Linux experience has been with Mandrake (www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ ). I'd say it's easier to install than almost any version of Windows - you do it all from a graphical installer. You need to have some basic computer knowledge but you would when installing Windows. Of course the main difference is that most people buy their PCs with Windows already installed. PCs with Linux pre-installed are still rare in this country.

On the subject of security, Linux is more secure than Windows because, like any Unix-derived system, it enforces security measures by default. On most Windows systems (especially 95/98/Me) any user can do anything, however destructive. To perform changes to the system under Linux you have to enter the root (admin) password. For this reason it's harder for malicious code to take control of your system. Also, most of the nasties out there attack Microsoft Windows/Internet Explorer/Outlook/Outlook Express simply because they are so common. Any malicious code therefore has the potential to affect most of the world's PCs.

Mandrake has an update tool which patches any vulnerabilities when they're discovered and it's really no harder to use than Windows Update.

If you're the sort of person who's happy to tinker with your PC you'll welcome the new tinkering opportunities afforded by Linux. If you're the sort of person who doesn't, and just want to use your PC for the normal everyday tasks, you'll probably be OK because you'll be happy with the huge range of software that comes with a modern Linux distribution. The people who'll probably find it a chore are those who fall between the two types of user.

Having typed all this, I wonder if I've added anything useful to ChrisR and Kuang's excellent posts.

I use Linux some of the time on my home computer because I believe there should be an alternative to Microsoft and I'm curious as to what that may be.

It depresses me not that the average home PC user uses Windows, but that most people don't even realise that it's not compulsory. In a way it's a shame that Apple don't produce a version of their operating system that works on computers that they don't make. Of course by allowing their OS to work on cheaper hardware there'd be less incentive for people to buy their expensive machines.

If this isn't straying too far into geek territory, anyone interested in these issues may like to look at the reviews among the features at www.osnews.com .
Linux - what's it like? - Kuang
Hehe :)

I try not to cause panic, but in my line of work I often get 'well why didn't you WARN me of that BEFORE I did it?!?!' so I tend to err on the side of caution ;)

Mandrake is a very nice distro, which I got on quite well with - I had 9-point-something on the machine under this desk until recently when I blanked it to try Lindows. I think there may be a cd-bootable version around now. SuSE is also very nice, and I'd say it has the edge for usability and overall 'completeness'. There's definitely a CD-bootable version too, which is supposed to be quite good. Red Hat is ok, but I find it to be terribly quirky with certain things - admittedly I don't have a great deal of experience of it though.

Overall, Linux is definitely a good thing and I'm glad to have it out there :)
Linux - what's it like? - arnold2
a.) Buy a PowerMac G5, run OS X; Unix like Linux, without any of the hardware/driver issues ....

:-))
Problems with Scandisc - Robin
I am running Windows 98SE on my PC and am trying to defragment the disc using the defragger supplied with Windows. In order to do this I first have to scan the disc for errors using scandisc for Windows. The defrag program will not work without the disc being scanned first. The problem I am having is that the scanner never completes a scan. It restarts itself everytime Windows accesses the disc for some other reason. I have closed all the running programs and also used a utility called EndItAll to close all processes except for the kernal program but it still restarts itself and never completes. (it is a 20Gbyte partition and I run the scanner overnight). I have used the boot-up scan program to scan and correct errors but defrag does not recognise that this has been done and refuses to work.

Any ideas about what I can do? The IT guys at my work told me the only solution was to upgrade to a newer version of windows. Great advice.
Problems with Scandisc - Kuang
Not everything that runs in Windows appears as a task - the screensaver is the prime example. Make sure that's turned off for a start. Any autoupdaters will need to be given the boot too - get a dos prompt up and type 'msconfig' then go to the 'startup' tab for a fairly comprehensive list of startup programs - that'll give you a better idea of where to look

The other possibility is that you might have picked up a virus that's writing data to the disk, but that's something you'd have to investigate further.

Oh, and sack your IT people. ;)
Problems with Scandisc - maz64
IIRC when I had Windows 98 there used to be a Windows utility called 'scheduler' or similar, that had an icon in the system tray bottom right. You had to right-click and 'pause' it to stop it restarting a defrag every 5 minutes.

msconfig should pick this up anyway though.

John
Problems with Scandisc - smokie
These operations often fail because the contents of the disk change, causing a restart. Often this is no more than a change to the swapfile. Sometimes, just leaving it running for days on end will eventually get it through.

However, try booting into Safe Mode then carrying out the scans/defrags. This makes sure that there are no other programs running which could interfere with the disk. It might still take a long time so be patient.

The work guys are typical of today's IT support, tyhe same happens at my place - if it doesn't work, don't try to diagnose/fix, just re-install or upgrade.

(btw unless you are really suffering poor performance or are v short of disk space, defragging a disk these days is not that useful - in history when saving a few blocks was a large percentage of your disk space, and disks were much slower causing slow data reads it was a useful - nay essential - tool. But now, with quicker and larger disks I wouldn't bother using it unless I had problems)
Problems with Scandisc - Altea Ego
Yes - safe mode will fix the scandisk problem (thats f8 at windows startup) as would shutting down windows with out doing a proper close down, Only thing I am not sure of - is defrag available in safe mode?
Problems with Scandisc - Dynamic Dave
Only thing I am not sure of - is defrag available in safe mode?

Yes.
Problems with Scandisc - frostbite
Agree with Smokie re defrag - recently ran it on a friend's computer - over 3yrs use he'd not noticed he had it. Made no discernable difference.
Problems with Scandisc - Kuang
It's generally the case that most IT staff will resort to reinstalls rather than complex fixes just to save downtime for the user. I'll always attempt to fix issues on a callout, but if it seems that it's going to take a couple of hours for a bizarre one-off problem, then I can't justify hogging the users machine for that long - a complete reimage can be done in 15min, which is often the easier option.

The problem is when IT staff genuinely can't diagnose simple problems, and use the above as a first resort. If you do that, you'll miss out on a lot of early warnings that may become serious issues later on - it always pays to improve your knowledge, as long as you're not compromising anyone else!
Ignorant computer user needs help pleas - HF
Hi, I do hope somebody can offer some assistance here.

A while back, my computer monitor ceased to function. I have recently found that my ancient monitor from years back is able to plug into my computer, which is in theory ideal as a stop-gap until I get a proper replacement monitor.

However...when I first attached the new (old) monitor to the computer, the display was unintelligible. I played around a bit with settings etc, and unfortunately neghlected to record what I'd actually messed around with. The result was that I managed to get a clear picture on the new monitor, but the screen display is way too big for the actual screen. So, in order to see a complete page of anything, I am having to scroll both horizontally and vertically - and it is *seriously* annoying.

I have played with the colour thing on Display on the Control Panel, and also with the Screen Resolution - which, when first messing about I reduced to minimum (640 by 480 pixels?)but now it will not allow me to change it back up again.

I would like to know if there is a way of changing this (I am supposed to be able to drag the arrow along but it doesn't respond anymore) and if this would make any difference? Or, if there is anything else I can do to try and shrink my screen display.

Any help very gratefully received.

HF
Ignorant computer user needs help pleas - AngryJonny
I\'m no expert, but there are two possibilities I can see here:

(1) Your graphics drivers are not installed properly. In such a circumstance Windows will use its own graphics capabilities but you will be restricted to a 640x480 display and usually 16 colours as well. I can\'t see how swapping monitors could cause this to happen.

(2) Given what you said about the screen originally being illegible, it\'s possible that your monitor from \"years back\" is a VGA model. In contrast to more recent SVGA (Super VGA) models, VGA monitors are pretty restricted when it comes to the number of colours and the screen definition they can display. It will probably say on the monitor whether it is VGA or SVGA. In this circumstance, I\'m afraid your only option is to get a new monitor. The good news is that the introduction of LCD monitors is pushing down the price of CRT ones.
Ignorant computer user needs help pleas - DavidHM
I reckon it's the second option - that you have somehow managed to dig out an old VGA monitor.

Otherwise CRTs go from about £70 new and abotut £40 used - look in Loot or on eBay.

Your settings should be

Screen resolution: 800 × 600 or higher
Colours: 256 (8 bit) or higher, ideally 65536 (16 bit) or higher
Refresh rate: 60 Hz or higher

These are all accessed through the display properties, by right clicking on the desktop in Windows.
Hi, and thanks to E34Kid and DavidHM.

I think the option 2 is right too - this screen is so old that I cannot even see anywhere on it any information about whether it is VGA or not. (sorry, I know not what VGA is, or indeed CRT.)

I will have to look at Ebay to get a used screen, but first, tomorrow, I will just see if I can adjust some settings as you say, David. My colours are as you say, but my screen resolution will not let me alter it to 800 by 600. (although it started higher than that and let me downgrade it, I think.) The refresh thing I am not sure about - I know I meddled with it yesterday but will have to try and backtrack to find out what I did. I might have to add an A to my name, I think, to emphasise the *absolutely* hopeless.

I'll come back and ask you again tomorrow, if I manage to change anything in the meantime. For now, David, it's good to talk to you again - I do hope all is well with you.

Thanks.

HF
Ignorant computer user needs help pleas - No Do$h
It may be worth mentioning that the monitor type is currently set to "Generic TV" (based on a conversation I had with HF last night whilst I was on my way home). Doesn't seem to want to switch from this.

I think you're running Win 98 aren't you HF?
Yep it's 98, ND - and I think it only turned to Generic TV after I had been fiddling about a bit, so to speak. I was stupid in not recording previous settings before changing them, and I have no idea whether it was Generic TV before I played about or something entirely different.

Ta ND.
Ignorant computer user needs help pleas - AngryJonny
Heh - just to clear up a few acronyms...

VGA stands for Video Graphics Array. It was introduced back in the 80s as a new fangled standard for displaying computer graphics in a (back then) high resolution format. It has since been superceded by SVGA (Super VGA) which is a more capable version of the same idea. This has happened to such an excent that VGA monitors aren't really supported by modern operating systems... the assumption they make is that you have SVGA.

CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube. Standard TVs and monitors (bulky things with a tube) are CRT screens. The alternative is LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) or "flat panel" monitors, which are becoming more popular but are still quite pricey.

Anyway, if you have a VGA monitor then it's unlikely that any settings you change will solve the problem. A monitor that is incapable of doing what you ask of it will just display a screen of gibberish, which is probably why you had trouble when you plugged the new (old) monitor in. Reducing down your settings to a lower resolution will have enabled the monitor to do its job, but the PC recognises that you have a VGA monitor and won't let you change the settings back up again. A new SVGA monitor *should* solve the problem, perhaps with a little more tinkering.

All this is, of course, suspicion rather than fact, but it's the sort of thing I'd expect to see happening with a monitor from the late 80s/early 90s.
Ignorant computer user needs help pleas - Dalglish
Yep it's 98, ND - and I think it only turned
to Generic TV after I had been fiddling about a bit,
so to speak. I was stupid in not recording previous settings
before changing them, and I have no idea whether it was
Generic TV before I played about or something entirely different.
Ta ND.

hf

step 1 - click control panel, display, settings tab, then advanced button at bottom.

step 2 - select monitor tab, click on change,

step 3 - drivers wizard opens, click next, select 2nd radio button which says display a list of drivers in specific location etc. and click next

step 4 - select 2nd radio button at bottom which says show all hardware. this will bring up list of manufacturers makes and models.

step 5 - if your monitor make (listed left) model (listed right) select it. if it is not shown, select the first option which says standard monitor types.

step 6 - try SVGA first. install the drivers, power down, restart.

if that does not work, repeat the process and try VGA next time.

and so on.

hf

and if ebay does not come up trumps, try asking your local big companies if they have surplus monitors or pcs.

my company gave away 30 pentium 2 models a few weeks ago.

www.oxfam.org.uk/what_you_can_do/recycle/computers...m
specials.zdnet.co.uk/news/specials/2002/12/recycli...l
www.cambridge-computer-recycling.co.uk/

hf

2nd hand monitors from cex computer exchange

www1.cex.co.uk/product_list.asp?stext=monitor&scat...h

www1.cex.co.uk/Stores
Hi, and many, many thanks to E34 and Dalgliesh for your help.

First, E34, (that is even more of an impersonal name than my own!) thanks for the explanations of the acronyms, it's appreciated. I won't remember them all, but at least I can refer back now. I think basically you are right that the monitor I have simply isn't able to do what I want it to do - and the only solution long-term is to get another one.

This links to my reply to Dalgleish - I have tried and tested a few possibilities with the steps suggested. At one point I thought I had got it sussed, but sadly I was wrong. Still there are many other combinations for me to try. However, I do think that E34 is right in the fact that I need another monitor!

When going into the Wizard, I don't even seem to have the option of SVGA, just various VGA options (loads of them, all with different measurements). The ones I've tried haven't made any difference so far. I'll keep trying - but, also, thanks Dalgliesh for your suggestions of where to get another monitor. Again this is much appreciated and if I get no joy with what I'm doing I will certainly look up the links you have posted.

Thanks, both of you. I will come back to let you know if I have had any success.

Take care
HF
Powerpoint Wanted - mark(NEScotland)
I have MS Office 2000 Small Business which I notice does not include Powerpoint. Ebay has XP versions for sale. I am running Windows 98, will an XP version run with Windows 98? Any advice on acquiring standalone Powerpoint appreciated.
thanks
Powerpoint Wanted - John R @ Work {P}
For the free Powerpoint Viewer see...

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=...N

To buy MS-Powerpoint see...

www.kelkoo.co.uk/sitesearch/search.jsp?siteSearchQ...o

Unfortunatly, Powerpoint is not free.

John R
Powerpoint Wanted - Altea Ego
I think it requires Windows 2000 or Windows XP
Powerpoint Wanted - DavidHM
Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as Powerpoint XP. There is Office XP of course, but the individual packages have the suffix 2002. In any case, Powerpoint 2k2 will run fine on Windows 98, assuming of course that the hardware is up to the job.

With regard to the software on eBay - there is no point in paying for anything that doesn't contain the licence and isn't being used in accordance with the terms of the licence. If it's licenced and reasonably priced then by all means go for it though.

If you want free, then openoffice.org is the way to go. If you want cheap, and have children aged 5+, or another family member in full time education, then home use is permitted under Microsoft's educational licence, which should run you about £100 for Office XP - all four programs the same and working together.
Powerpoint Wanted - Baskerville
You could try www.OpenOffice.org which is a full office suite with a powerpoint-style presentation package that is, they claim, about 95% compatible with regular Powerpoint--MS are scared to death of this, because it's a free version of Sun's Star Office. I use the word processor and spreadsheet packages a lot and have found them very compatible with a range of different office suites--I recently edited a book and counted over fifteen different sources for the submitted material. All worked with very few formatting problems. OpenOffice also lets you create pdf documents, which is good. MS is adopting XML for new versions of Office, but OpenOffice already uses it.
Powerpoint Wanted - mark(NEScotland)
Thanks for info and advice John R, RF, DHM, and ChrisR; I will check out those sites.

Mark
Slow broadband connection - Mike H
Over the last few weeks, my broadband connection seems to have slowed down for no apparent reason. I used a Netgear ADSL modem/router with a built in ethernet switch (can't remember the type, I'm not at home to check). Basically I never turn this off. I have done so to reset it but it made no difference. I use it to access the internet via Tiscali's 512Kb service. Does anyone have any ideas? A possible clue is that it seems the same on both the computers I use to access it, both running Windows XP, one of which is a fairly new fast Mesh.
Slow broadband connection - Altea Ego
Be prepared for a barrage on here about tiscali is a "freshwater fish"

Instead go to www.adslguide.org and then into the forums and pick up the tiscali threads. There is a guy on there who works in Tiscali tech support and seems to get things done. YOu can also run a speed test to see if your thoughts about slowness are right.
Excel - CM
Got a problem with Excel which has just appeared and is bleeding annoying.

The columns normally have letters labelling them and the rows have numbers.

When I open Excel both rows and columns are labelled with numbers. how do I get my letters back?
Excel - Kuang
This is known as R1C1 referencing, rather than the more standard A1 style. The switch it off, go to the Tools menu, select 'Options', go to the 'General' tab and untick the R1C1 box. When you click OK, it should return to A1 style.
Playing DVD using Interactual - Nsar
Hi, got a new PC with DVD player, running XPPro. I can open the DVD up (ie features on the disc other than the film) but it refuses to play, saying problems with video sub-system try reducing resolution and col depth which I've done but still it refuses to play. Any clues?
Playing DVD using Interactual - Altea Ego
Interactual? sounds like a lap top. Try playing the DVD with Windows Media player. You may need an an uplevel codec.
It is a laptop (Samsung V25)I'll try again with WMP.

>>You may need an an uplevel codec.<< That sounds awfully like one of those "long weights" that old timers ask the new lad to go for....RF I always thought of you as an upstanding BR member, you're not having me on are you!
Playing DVD using Interactual - Altea Ego
Noooooooo a "CODEC" is tech speak for audio visual software decoders. check the interactual site for an upgrade.
RF, my blushing has subsided enough for me to let you know that there in the bag was a Power DVD CD which once installed (in about 8secs flat) now plays DVD's beautifully. Not quite RTM, more LITBB (Look in the B Bag!)
Thanks for your thoughts anyway
Printworks - NitroBurner
My colour cartridge is about to run out.

Are refill kits any good?

I can get it refilled for about £11 at a shop nearby.

Or just buy a replacement?

It's for an Epson C62...

Thanx for any help...
Printworks - pienmash
try going to your nearest computer fair, 2 black 2 colour for a tenner,refill kits are crap and messy.
Printworks - Civic8
I have used other inks as a replacement and would say they are not as they say.I like printing from digital camera basicaly anything i feel like printing.but have found epson inks are the best and stay with it purley as I get a long lasting print.dont get it from other inks.thats what I have found so far and have been printing photos for around 5 years.ie cheap isnt always best.I expect others will not agree?
Printworks - Dynamic Dave
My colour cartridge is about to run out.
Are refill kits any good?

Yes and no. Epson have fitted a chip in their cartridges for quite a while now, so unless you reset the chip (you need a special tool) it still won't work after refilling. The printer will still see an empty cartridge.
Or just buy a replacement?
It's for an Epson C62...

Try here:-

the link I posted has been removed as I've recently had a bad experience with the company and don't wish to allow them to have a free plug as I don't consider they deserve it

Black, £6.50 each, 2 for £12, 3 for £16.50
Colour, £7.10 each, 2 for £13.20, 3 for £18.30

All inclusive of vat, and p&p free. Normally v.quick delivery.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/09/2009 at 22:28

Printworks - NitroBurner
Cheers DD, noticed the chip, but never thought owt of it!

Know where to go now...
Printworks - Civic8
not certain about your one but I have an epson stylus colour 880
would assume it has a similar chip.What I do is take out or undo the lid for the cartridges this should raise the cartridge/s from the jet/s.all I do then is to push lid down and all lights go out.I have had around 20 text A4 papers printed plus 4 colour prints.so far I am still working on this.PS I did this before although it was said it cannot be done.I think it a case of chip being conned into thinking a/several new cartridges have been installed.I may be wrong but it works for me.may be worth a try?
Printworks - Kuang
Epson were forced to add a tickbox to later releases of their drivers to disable chip recognition completely on the grounds of fair trading. Originally the idea was to stop people using third party cartridges because the printers were such a giveaway that they weren't making any money. Not sure if the tickbox also ignores reported ink levels in favour of actual ones though.

FWIW I've always found Jet-Tec cartridges to be very good for the money. The blacks aren't quite as black as they could be, and the colours could benefit from greater richness, but you'd only notice that if you regularly print photos. For running off business type stuff they're fine, and remarkably cheap.
Printworks - Civic8
See your point.one thing puzzles me how is it the chip recognises the a full cartridge and not a near empty one.to correct that as I mentioned before epson have already stated as far as I know that a cartridge around 20%
to near empty is empty.trading standards I think are a bit out on this but did mention you are able to get more from the cartridges than epson state.I dont now use any other brands due to probs with the photo they tend to fade very fast.ie using a different brand.as I said before I print a lot in way of photo`s and dont have a problem with there own inks.I do expect others to contradict.
Printworks - Altea Ego
The chip is just a serial number and manufacturer id to show its a genuine Epson and different from the one you have just taken out. It has no part to play with the ink level. The printer itself decides how low the level is worked out by how much it knows has gone through the jets.

In the old days bad clone ink carts were the cause of printer jets gumming up and making the printer unuseable. Now days some of the clone makes are not bad. As mech1 said some of the clone ones do not make good photgraphs and tend to fade very quickly, not good for a photo! For general use get a clone cart, or a grey import genuine one (the ones on the web). Not worth the refil hastle.

On my third epson printer in 10 years (bought the last on cos it was cheaper than a black and colour cart for the old one!)
Printworks - wemyss
The best prices for inkjet cartridges I have found is www.choicestationery.com/

Printworks - DavidHM
www.kc-inks.com seem to be the cheapest for Epson cloned ink; never really had any problems with them.

I now have an HP printer though and for that I use the manufacturer's own, which is about £11 for quite a large cartridge from www.ebuyer.com
camera mobile phones - Civic8
I wonder if anyone has used a camera phone and put the photos on pc.if so what are the results like.and what programs did u use to make alterations ie colour/brightness/contrast.assuming of course it can be done.I assume it can be according to adds.reason I ask is I`m thinking of getting one but want to know what opinions are out there?
camera mobile phones - Welliesorter
I don't own a camera phone but I've seen some sample pictures from them. Even the very cheapest digital camera will produce better results than a camera phone. There are plenty of web sites with reviews of phones, including sample pictures from the cameras.

www.mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml (a Russian site) has some very detailed reviews and samples.

camera mobile phones - maz64
The Sharp GX20 is supposed to have one of the best cameras - some reviews at www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/sharp-gx20.htm
camera mobile phones - Altea Ego
Even the best reviewed camera below is a poor 300k resolution. The cheapest (and i mean cheap - are three times better than this, most average cameras are 10 - times better.

Do not buy a phone for the camera. Buy a phone as a phone, and if you want to take digital pictures - buy a camera.

Of course there will be times when you have your phone on you, not your camera, and a piccy would be nice. Just dont expect anything wonderful.
camera mobile phones - BB
I agree with the statements above regarding camera phones.
I have a motorola V600 (one of the latest camera phones) and it is nowhere near as good as a cheap £30 digital camera.

If you want to take half decent photos, then get a camera. A camera phone is not good enough.

camera mobile phones - keo-the-dog
some of the newer camera phones are not too bad sony ericsson t610 is not bad but t68 with camera is very poor, agree with the point if you want pictures buy a camera as camera phones are really only a bit of fun or for taking that picture in an emergency ps i use paint shop for most editing and the results from phone are really quite poor early sharp phones were poor also
camera mobile phones - No Do$h
Sony Ericsson are about to launch the S700 and K700. The latter offers a VGA quality shot, the former a full 1.3megapixels. Prices are yet to be announced, but expect to need a prosthetic limb or two if you opt fot the S700 as it also features a mini PDA.