How best to sell Saab 900 - CM
my neighbour is swapping her 1997 Saab 900 SE (I think, rather than just an S) for something a little large to accomodate her kids.

This 97P has 49k and is an auto and is in *excellent* condition. She is getting a Renault Scenic and it seems that she has been offered £1500 as PX.

I realise that the car is 7 years old but isn't £1500 a little on the light side? I can understand that the dealer doesn't really want a car this old (in years rather than mileage) but if it is a little too cheap how else can she sell?

Advice welcome.
How best to sell Saab 900 - Thommo
Could you email me about this on stuarte2001@hotmail.com

Thanks.

How best to sell Saab 900 - CM
thanks all for the advice and I will pass it on.

Thommo - I don't think that this would be of interest as she did say that she was getting a lot of bills
How best to sell Saab 900 - Thommo
Appreciate the heads up CM.
How best to sell Saab 900 - Jono_99
Does seem low for what sounds a good car. However, an aunt of mine sold her late son's Saab 900 (similar age, mileage, spec) and did not get more than £1,500. I doubt she will get more from the dealer.

My tatic would be to establish what deal she can get on the Scenic without a PX - she can then work out the cost to change with and without the PX, and take a view of how much more she might get for the car if she were prepared to sell it privately. Small ads is the only other way of addressing this, with associated costs of hassle, double insurance....

Two other problems - Scenic is selling well at present (from what I can gather), so dealer may not need to offer great deals. Also, that Saab must be one of the last prior to the 9-3, which will force down its value.

In passing (and without prejudice to my thoughts!) - where are you / your neighbour, as might be interested in such a car? I am in Northamptonshire / Oxfordshire

Cheers

Jono
How best to sell Saab 900 - Jono_99
Quick check on e-bay confrims that she should get more for it than £1,500:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2467...3

Cheers

Jono
How best to sell Saab 900 - looking4car
I think Jono is suggesting that the dealer may in effect be offering less than 1500.

I agree it is well worth asking for a discount with no trade in. If he says 300, the trade in is in effect 1200.

I'm no expert but a quick check on autotrader using HonestJohn's search box left shows private sellers asking more than 1500 for older examples with higher miles.

However, remember that asking for and getting are two different things, and there is the hassle factor to think about.

Having said all that if you don't mind a bit of hassle there is probably money to be saved at the Scenic end by sourcing privately or at auction.

How best to sell Saab 900 - DavidHM
As a part exchange price, £1500 seems eminently reasonable to me - £1800 trade/auction, tops, so a £300 profit seems as good as the dealer's going to get on it.

However if it's a new Scénic, www.ukcarbroker.co.uk is offering between £2100 and £3200 off, depending on model, so if that is an offer against list price then she's effectively being charged a grand for the dealer to take it off her hands. If that's the case, she'll be far better off buying the car online (albeit supplied through a franchise) and auctioning it herself at a local auction, however low the bid price and high the commission. If she is willing to get a bit more privately, say, in at £2250 and accept £2k, then she can of course do so.

If it's used and the car is well priced in the first place, I don't think you can negotiate it very far upwards - though there's no harm in trying.
How best to sell Saab 900 - Mike H
Couple of other options might be the classifieds on this site, or the Saabscene web site

www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/suite/classifieds/clas...i

I have to say that this is not a pacticularly well-loved model, especially if it is a 2.0 non-turbo, although I would have thought you could get over £1500 from the right buyer.
How best to sell Saab 900 - looking4car
Yes, DavidHM is talking a lot of sense, if it is a new Scenic.

I had assumed (for no good reason) that the Scenic was used. If it is new I'd look to get the best deal possible on the Scenic and get what I could for the Saab as he suggests.