Bikes in Belgium - martin
Hi there!

I am thinking about getting a bike here in Bruxelles, Belgium where i am resident. Can anyone tell me what i ought to consider before doing so. I have the official verison of things (gove web site) but would like something closer to reality.

thinking of getting a 125 Honda Rebel, if it matters

thanks
Bikes in Belgium - Graham
Do consider not using your moblie phone whilst riding.
hands free kit then!!!
Bikes in Belgium - NARU
Ride magazine (UK) do some good tests, including of clothing. I'd recommend buying only clothing which gets their seal of approval - in my experience it goes down the road better! Its hard to tell good from tat yourself in the showroom.

Buy a decent helmet.

Get a decent lock.

Have fun. Especially in the summer months.
Bikes in Belgium - THe Growler
1. Get a bigger bike so you have road presence and enough power to (a) keep out of trouble, (b) enjoy yourself. 125 cc is pizza pilot material; I'd suggest a Bandit or a Fazer: both manageable, docile yet enough balls to have fun with and won't break down. If you prefer a cruiser get a little 535cc Virago: an excellent first bike. Running costs, although I don't know about insurance there in BG, of a bigger bike over a smaller one will be marginal.

2. Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course. They are available in most countries, or if not in Belgium for sure something similar will be available. This is a must if you haven't ridden before. Especially understand the impact of road surfaces, different weather conditions on riding. It's 3 days of theory and practice. My girl just took one and the difference in her confidence and handling of her bike is enormous.

3. Check out your local riders' clubs for help and info. Bikers are generally a fine community for support, assistance and help and social fun. You will probably get invited on some rides to interesting places as well. These things you never get to enjoy if you just drive a cage.

4. Learn the disciplines of looking after and checking out your ride: tires, chain, lights, before you leap on and go looking for the horizon. Watch and learn from experienced bikers.

5. Get decent gear. Leather is essential. Doesn't have to be that flashy Dainese rice-rocket plastic fanstastic over-priced nonsense, a good honest leather jacket and jeans and some basic boots will do. Helmet of course. Don't skimp on that -- remember the old saying: $5 helmet-$5 brain. You might want to consider a day-glo vest or similar. I hate them but I can see their value.

6. Ride with your lights on at all times. Idiots will try and tell you you've forgotten to switch them off but being visible to the half-asleep cagers all around you is crucial. I think most bikes have their lights hard-wired anyway these days so they stay on all the time.

Hope this helps, and remember the rubber bits stay down and the shiny parts stay up.

Ride safe and enjoy. A good motorbike is the best fun you can have without taking your clothes off. Your life is just beginning...... :+)

THe Growler out +
Bikes in Belgium - THe Growler
Oh, and what I most importantly forgot to say was that you'll be home with your feet up cracking open the first cold brewski of the evening and watching the 6 o'clock news on CNN while the rest of the human race is still lined up trying to get off the slip road from the motorway.......

That will give you enormous feelings of superiority, trust me...

thanks Growler, much appreciated.

I would go for the larger bike, but don't have a bike licence and like the UK, here in Belgium you can only go to 125 on a EU drivers licence. I will certainly do the training program as i imagine that even a 125 is not quite like my old 50cc Peugeot 103 (these european things that look and sound like lawn-mowers), i have no gears and only front breaks with a top speed of 45kmh. So even a Rebel at 125 will be a step up.

Traffic density is less here than the UK, but we still get our fair share of wackoes.

Is it any fun to take a bike on the autoroute, or is it just damned scary if you can't compete powerwise?

Bikes in Belgium - Graham
You must drive defensivly. Being right is no help when you're dead.

Cars like to bully anything they can, so it is better to be able to keep up with the traffic flow. See on here attitudes towards horses etc. They'll happily run you off the road to save themselves a few seconds.
Bikes in Belgium - helicopter
Martin - What Growler says is true and good advice - don't let me put you off but.... BE AWARE AT ALL TIMES.

As an ex motorcycle courier I would say you must ride defensively and the most likely accident on a bike in traffic is the sideswipe by cars pulling out from side roads who don't see you.

In the UK we call 'em SMIDSY's ( sorry mate I didn't see you!). I was constantly checking when overtaking stationary lines of cars for the gaps where cars were being let out. They think because the cars have stopped everything else has.

I personally have had this happen to me three times in a motorcycling career of 36 years. First time I awoke looking at the underside of a London Bus radiator and had a nice ride in an ambulance although not too seriously damaged my left leg still bears a scar.

Second time SWMBO and I were trapped under the weight of the bike and we were lucky not to suffer more than bruising although the bike was written off.

Third time was in the Mall and again it was more damage to the bike than me . It is not nice to hit tarmac with a hefty thud -it hurts!Left thumb broken when I checked into hospital.Its surprising how much you need your thumb.

I've had car and white vandrivers try to force me off the road into traffic islands, run over my foot, open car doors in stationary traffic without realising I'm overtaking. I've sat behind buses in jams that even a bike can't get through choking in their diesel fumes etc etc .

I dont ride any more - In an accident between a bike and a car the car always wins and IMO you are a sitting target.

Bikes in Belgium - Archie
Do the continental thing properly and get a Velo Solex
Bikes in Belgium - Garethj
5. Get decent gear. Leather is essential.>>

Not necessarily, you can get good quality Cordura (fabric) jackets which are more waterproof than leather and are cooler in hot weather. Make sure they come with CE approved protection on the shoulders, elbows and back though. Some come with a removable lining for when the weather is cold too. Even some professional bikers (like instructors) say that fabric jackets are more comfortable for daily use. Leather is essential for trackdays though, and you can zip the jacket and trousers together to stop the jacket from riding up as you slide along the tarmac. Think about comfort as well as protection.

Whatever you get, make sure it comes from a bike shop - the fashion clothing whether it's leather or fabric is NOT up to the job of protecting you in a fall.

As others have said, anticipate the actions of others - riding isn't dangerous but crashing is. But also get ready for lots of good fun.

Gareth