Alloys - Best yet - hillman
Today, in Macclesfield, I saw a Ford car, Fiesta or Focus (they are like Chinamen). The back wheels were alloys with a strip of rubber around them, probably 17in. The front wheels were 15in steel with good old fashioned fat tyres. What is the backroom view on the handling and safety?
Alloys - Best yet - spikeyhead {p}
This depends so much on whether anything else has been done to the suspension. If not, it will make the back end much more likely to break away. As its a front wheel drive car then as long as the driver is capable of hanfling this, then I son't see it as a problem. I wouldn't want to be a back seat passenger in one though, I'm rather too fond of my kidneys :)
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Alloys - Best yet - Blue {P}
Maybe it was running on the spare wheel following a puncture? Or did you see both front wheels?

I would imagine that whatever happens it was only a temporary measure, no one in their right mind would fit alloys to just the back of a car! :-)

Blue
Alloys - Best yet - Clanger
Agree with Blue Oval, probably just using the spare.

Although I have run a car on a mixture of steels and alloys for a few days while the fronts were being refurbed.

"no one in their right mind ..." assuming your fellow motorists are all in their right mind? I think not.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Alloys - Best yet - vicky1
Hey hillman...i saw this in Congleton last week....not temporary...just couldn't afford 4!!! bless.
Alloys - Best yet - BazzaBear {P}
Hey hillman...i saw this in Congleton last week....not temporary...just couldn't afford
4!!! bless.

Hello! Didn't realise there were people on here from my neck of the woods. Do you live in Congleton Vicky1?
If you see a metallic red Alfa 145 with blue cloverleaves on it pootling around, give it a wave. The confused looking bloke inside will be me!
Alloys - Best yet - madf
If I see you in Biddulph will hoot at you:-)

madf

I thought about temporary replacement, so I checked bothy sides, easy, I was walking past it! Definately two alloy rear (quite clean), two steel front (dirty, no hub caps). Let's be charitable and assume that the front alloys are being repaired, as is so often required.

The best thing about Congleton and Biddulph both is the Biddulph NT gardens.
By Eck! Is the whole backroom membership based around the Congleton area? We can be a lot more specific with our motoring rants in that case.
Here's one: How annoying is the design of the speed bumps on Bromley Road? designed to make you swerve slightly into the middle of the road in order to take them comfortably, but then the person coming the other way is trying exactly the same thing.
And what about how long it took them to re-build that wall on Rood Hill? And don't even get me started on our new 'gyratory system' ;)
Alloys - Best yet - stackman
Perhaps the guy had bought a set of 4 such Carlos Fangango wheels then found that they wouldn't fit inside his front wheel arches, or that he could only turn the steering wheel a few degrees with them on.
Hello Congletonians!!!

small world isn't it!! will wave merrily....from green corsa...

yes those speed bumps are bad....and what is going on with the road works near LAC????? just digging random hole methinks.

C u around fellas.
I just saw it!
As I was going up Park Lane, it turned left onto Bromley Road. A metallic green Fiesta, alloys at the back, steelies at the front. It looked luuuuurvely.
Mine came first! It was a black one, and in Macclesfield. There seem to be more than a few.
Oh right. I'd assumed it was the same car. Maybe it's a new Fiesta fashion? Or maybe they're friends and could only afford one set of alloys between them?
Maybe one of them is cloning the others car, but very slowly?
I think the one i saw was white.

Like the cloning idea....you funny!

you live in cong too?
Alloys - Best yet - steveo30
its a drag racing thing...you see it in america all the time, the front are supposedly racing tyres?

in genuine cases i supose the racing tyres are not road legal and they swap over to steels with slicks at the 1/4 mile track

and now kids want that look...its also handy if they go into burn out competitions at the asda carpark
I think the one i saw was white.
Like the cloning idea....you funny!
you live in cong too?

Thanks. I try! ;)
I do live in Congleton, just off Park Lane.
So we have a white, black and green car in this condition, all Fiestas?
Curiouser and curiouser....
Alloys - Best yet - Peter D
Suspect the guy is having the alloys blasted and powder coated in pairs so he has thrown on some old steels and rubber. Logical. Peter
Alloys - Best yet - trancer
It could be that the front two are being repaired etc, but most likely the front alloys are at home keeping clean until cruise night when they are put back on the car. When I lived in the US, many of what you refer to as the "baseball cap brigade" would do this, not just to keep the alloys clean, but also to save the expensive rubber from the mundane duties of commuting. Many of these cars had lowered suspensions which if not done correctly would cause accelerated front tyre wear. One Acura Integra owner that lived near me could be seen installing his front aftermarket wheels on friday evenings and by monday the stock wheels would be back on.
I'm not buying it. These are boggo Fiestas we're talking about, not Scoobies.
The drag racing/show argument I can't see applying to these cars. The 'taking them off for refurbishment' works, but on three seperate, similar cars all in the same area? Bit of a coincidence.
Could there have been a recall for alloys which are peeling too easily?
Alloys - Best yet - madf
Personally I think it's aliens in disguise:-)

madf

Alloys - Best yet - trancer
But are all three cars using the same manufacturer alloys?. Wouldn't the rear wheels also be covered under the "peeling recall"?.
But are all three cars using the same manufacturer alloys?.
Wouldn't the rear wheels also be covered under the "peeling recall"?.

Yeah, I know, that's where my theory falls down. That's why I didn't suggest it at first.
Maybe they're not standing up to brake dust very well? You get far more on the fronts.
Or maybe the local garage is dealing with so many, they're rationing owners to only have two dealt with at a time?
Hmm... Maybe not.
Can't really say whether they're the same alloys, as we've each only seen one example. The ones on the car I saw were standard Ford Fiesta multi-spoke alloys (15-ish spokes)
Ooo. Just thought of another theory: maybe we've all seen the same car, and it's being used to test a new, really effective flip paint-job? Can you get more than one flip?
Maybe the little pink fulffy dice are nicking them two at a time!!