Diesel filter priming - Mk4 Golf. - Leon on Derv
Can anyone recommend how I should prime a new diesel filter for fittment to a MkIV Golf TDI engine.

There is no manually operated pump to prime the fuel system - or if there is I cant locate it.....

It also states in the handbook that if you run out of fuel, it may take the engine longer than normal to start - it specifies up to one minute - as the system must be freed of air. This would indicate that the system will prime itself somehow??

Having changed my fuel filter last weekend, the only method I could find of getting the car started again was to fill the fuel filter to the neck with diesel then connect the hoses to it.

I was also warned by a friend, that cranking this engine for a long time would cause the anti theft system to kick in as the car would believe it was being stolen??? This would render the engine unstartable for a period of time.

Anyone know how the dealerships / mechanics do this, surely it is not as crude as my methods?

Leon
Diesel filter priming - Mk4 Golf. - keo-the-dog
i know of one trick use a citroen type hand bellows on the injector side of the pump take the return pipe from injectors off and use hand pump till you get fuel coming out of return pipe now it'll start might take a few turns as there will still be a bit of air in there but maybe its supposed to self prime so should help . ps those bellows are quite cheap