Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - andymc {P}
Some people may remember me complaining about the ride in my 1999 TDi Passat Sport. After taking it back to the dealer for the third time, they have finally "discovered" the following:

- the upper and lower suspension arms need to be replaced
- the rear axle mounting is worn.
- they also said the MAF needs to be replaced, although I reckon it might simply need to be cleaned.

Although I bought under the VW Approved Used scheme, VW has rejected the warranty claim on the basis that it is wear & tear, not failure, and I am therefore facing a bill of £450 for suspension parts alone. Total bill has been quoted at £1000.

I intend to contact VW today to follow this up, but there is an urgency to this now because the used car warranty (such as it is) runs out on Saturday. Also, the car is booked in for its MOT the same day! I need to know if any of the above is grounds for an MOT failure and/or an urgent safety issue. Any advice on negotiating with VW today would be very much appreciated.
andymc
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - No Do$h
Taken from the car-by-car breakdown www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm

Reports of corroded rear brake seals and failing front suspension wishbones at around four years old..... 1.8 20Vs also suffering problems with air mass sensors which cost around £200 to replace....... German 'Worldwide recall' of all VW passats from 1996 to July 2001, Audi A4s from 1994, Audi A6s from 1997 to replace faulty front lower wishbones. Recall announced in Auto Bild 25th/26th August 2001. The ball joint can fail and the the two other flex connections can fail. (These are the long arms that go from the bottom of the front hubs to the body.)

Any of this likely to help persuade VW that these are inherent faults with their product and should be acknowledged as such? I would have thought so.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Aprilia
Some people may remember me complaining about the ride in my
1999 TDi Passat Sport. After taking it back to the
dealer for the third time, they have finally "discovered" the following:
- the upper and lower suspension arms need to be replaced
- the rear axle mounting is worn.
- they also said the MAF needs to be replaced, although
I reckon it might simply need to be cleaned.

I think the arms typically go at 80-100k miles - presumably it has done this sort of mileage and therefore they are argiung that it is wear and tear. Ditto the rear axle. If the car has much lower mileage then you might have a case.
I would think that almost *every* pre-2000 Passat has now had a new MAF - cleaning probably only works in the short term, so if you are keeping the car then put a new one on. They can be had at a 50% (c.f. the VW price) from ECP and fitting it is a sub-30min job if you have basic car DIY skills.
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - daryld
Andy,

Be prepared for VW to stick to their guns. But do not be fooled: they will only help those customers who create a real stink.

I suggest (and depends on your car's milaage and history):

1. Visit you friendly Audi dealer and get the recall info about the front wishbones.

2. Write polite letter to VW about the Audi wishbones and honest john info. Keep to the facts. Show no emotion (they get loads of complaints so another whinging letter cuts not ice with them).

3. You will received the standard VW UK 'get stuffed' letter.

4. Write again. Expect another get 'stuffed letter'.

5. Issue county court summons (do not threaten; just do it. They get court threats all the time. Does not cost much).

6. Wait a few days and note the pleasant change in their tone when they write to you with those magic word of 'as a goodwill gesture we will pay..'.

Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Sooty Tailpipes
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/

If you fancy it, pay £30 on here with your credit card, and get a county court summons sent to VW or the seller. Get it transferred to your local court assuming it isn't settled out of court.

HINT... Keep your claim, concise, chronological, accurate, and don't put any emotion in it such as you were angry etc.....just the facts.

Also works with road hump damage claims.

Good luck!

Thanks a million folks, didn't expect such good replies in such a short time. Yes, the car has 107k miles on it by now - forgot to put that in the original post.

What about the MOT - any risk of failure? Particularly with regard to rear axle.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

PS Have now started looking up the cost of cheap Almeras and old Mercs! Gotta be a diesel though ....
andymc
If the used car warranty covers your car to 107,000 miles then I still think VW warranty dept have a case to answer. If they feel their cars will require the replacement of major components after 4 years of motoring based on the target market for the Passat (fleet drivers) and that this is acceptable, why the earlier recall?

I would suggest you try and establish the scope of the original recall (it may not have been handled as one in the UK) and then see if your VIN falls within the recall range. Next step is to see if the recall work was ever carried out (any VAG garage will be able to confirm this using your VIN). If not, you should be able to get the work done on that basis. If the new parts were fitted, you may be on for a bit more of a fight.
just had a quick look here www.via.gov.uk/apps/recalls/default.asp and couldn't find reference to a UK recall for these suspension components. May be worth doing a "google" to see what you can find out about the recall in Germany, then ask VW UK why a safety issue elsewhere in the EU isn't a safety issue here.
Have been trawling web all day, but only real result is red eyes! Most of the results from Google are links to parts suppliers or consumer surveys, mostly US-based. I must be doing something wrong, as I've rarely used google before. The only halfway-related Audi-specific recall I could find in the VOSA site was for the ball joints in 1999.

I contacted my dealer, who confirmed that my car has never been the subject of a recall. They also gave me the number for VW Customer Care (hah!) who could only give me a freepost address, not a phone number or e-mail for that address. I'll send something through today if I can. Do you think it's worth pointing out that people like Which? and Watchdog might be interested in the fact that the recall didn't apply to the UK?

Sooty, I tried your link but it didn't work - any other possibilities?

Last of all, in case this bit goes unnoticed I'll ask again about the MOT and the rear axle mounting cos I'm a bit worried - I'm not sure if this is something that would be a pass/fail item or would be looked at at all. MOT on Saturday, so any advice gratefully received.
andymc
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - christos41
Dear Andymc,
I had problems with VAG and the issue of wear ond tear on a glovebox lid where the catch broke just after the three year period.You need to stick to your guns go as high as you can within the VAG group until its sorted .I managed to get them to pay for the whole lot £200 +fitting and got a 2 yr warranty off them.Best of luck and let us know how you got on.
Christos
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Dave N
If the terms of the warranty state no payout for wear and tear, then I'm not surprised they won't pay out for something that has quite clearly worn out after 107K, and hasn't suffered a 'sudden mechanical failure'.

To be honest, I should think that at that sort of mileage, just about everything is getting near the end of its life.

Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - DavidHM
Fair enough Dave, if the car had been Andy's from new.

As he's only had it for a year and 17k though, it has to be fairly predictable that things like that would happen and the warranty has to take that into account to have any substantive meaning at all.

Also it's hard to see how any sudden mechanical failure wouldn't have some element of wear and tear. Is there really anything that is as likely to go wrong on a 10k car as on a 100k car?

For me, wear and tear purely means parts that have an expected service life that wear down through contact or over a predictable time - so things like brake pads and discs, cam belts, oil, tyres, clutch plates and the like. Even then, if they fail early enough in their expected service life it can be a warranty issue.
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Aprilia
Sorry Andymc, I think you will draw a blank on this one. At 107k miles many Passat suspension components will be worn out. The warranty you have is likely a 'breakdown' warranty and basically covers you against a part suddenly failing (i.e. going 'bang') rather than progressive wear and tear. County Court stuff is likely to be waste of time and money.

As to the MoT issue; well, it could very likely be a fail depending on how bad the wear is - it is down to the judegement of the examiner (impossible to say without inspecting the car).
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Hugo {P}
Forget the warranty fair wear and tear etc, what about the Sale of Goods Act?

The item must be of merchantable quality etc etc.

Having skimmed through this thread it appears that Andy has been having problems with this car ever since he bought it.

So a court summonds based on the Sale of Goods act with the help of the CAB or a solicitor and the whole story should have them on the run.

Hugo
Small update -
I held off on sending any letters until I could speak to the manager of the dealership where I bought the car. Regardless of anything I pointed out in terms of nothing being caught at the 100-point inspection, the known issue of suspension failure, repeated failure to spot the problem, etc., he still maintained that it wasn't their problem and that they wouldn't do anything even as a goodwill gesture, nor was he willing to contact VW on my behalf.

I still feel like pursuing this, as it's obvious that VW have known about the issue of suspension failure for some time. I'd be prepared to take on the chin the cost of sorting out the axle mounting, but I do think that a car of this type (i.e. aimed at high-mileage fleet users) should not have this suspension problem at this mileage. If the cost and hassle of a court summons aren't too great, I may as well see where it gets me.

If I have to choose between one or the other, I'm not sure whether I should claim off VW UK on the basis of the suspension failure being a known issue, or off the dealer on the basis of selling goods of merchantable quality. Any comments as to whether it's possible/feasible to claim off both?
andymc
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Altea Ego
On mileage of 107,000? There is a huge amount of scope for VW and the dealer to argue a winning case. You need proof (not hearsay - hearsay is inadmissable in law) that VW knew about suspension failure, and then if that is proven that failure at 107,000 miles is unreasonable. You also need to prove that suspension components involved are not a wear and tear item (where a lot of suspension components are clearly wear and tear items - bushes, shocks, etc)

Dont let that put you off, but i think this would be a tough nut to crack.
Don't mind if it's a tough nut, it's just that I do think that it's unacceptable in a car clearly designed for higher mileages. I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that what I would have to prove is unreasonable wear & tear.

As for hearsay, I would have thought the fact that a recall was issued outside the UK for these parts would be proof enough that VW was aware of suspension failure. In fact, even if this didn't affect me directly, I'd still be curious as why the recall wasn't issued in the UK.

andymc
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Malcolm_L
Sorry to hear about your probs.

My Passat recently had the O/S/F lower wishbone and suspension guides replaced under warranty at 56K, car is 30 months old.
Front suspension would appear to be a weak point, suspension bushes worn out at 107k - fine, Wishbone worn out at 107k - not!

VW wouldn't even acknowledge the fault even though the thing was knocking consistently - They only dealt with it after I raised it with the lease company.

Dealer service from VW does leave a lot to be desired, I accept that things do go wrong (and so should VW et al) but when the dealer is then unhelpful and even rude I get a tad annoyed.

Best of luck
Just another bit of feedback (hopefully the last). Gawd, what a saga. Feel free to click on by, I'm doing this because I promised I'd update!

Firstly, my trusted local mechanic inspected the car on Friday and said that only the left axle mounting needed to be replaced, but that it was just about worn enough to risk failing the MOT. Because of the urgency (MOT due the following day), he did this job himself, at about a quarter of what it would have cost at the main dealer. As I said before, this was something I was willing to accept as reasonable wear & tear anyway (however, starting to get a sneaking suspicion that the dealer was looking to get more work out of me than was necessary ...)

I didn't think the MAF sensor could reasonably be described as a wear & tear item, so I rang the dealer to double-check the warranty claim - and was told that it had actually been approved for replacement after all! (Deep breath, and relax). This is not what I had been told a few days previously, when they said the whole claim was rejected, so I'm glad I followed it up. That means that now only the suspension work is an issue.

I rang another VW dealer in the vicinity, to try & persuade the service manager that rather than replacing the MAF, they could "write off" the approved warranty cost of this against doing the suspension work instead. At least this dealer is willing to do something to help out - he said doing this would leave me with a balance of around £480 to pay, inclusive of VAT and labour. I would then have to forget about claiming against VW UK, and could replace the MAF with a Mercedes part instead for about £50. Total outlay around £530. Not great, but a saving of around £200 against what I'd have faced otherwise.

However, my local guy then called to say he'd sourced a front suspension kit from a Passat that was written off when it rolled after being hit from behind. The front suspension is undamaged, and with less than 2000 miles up is effectively new. Together with brand new rear suspension, it would be £260 fitted. If I do this, I can have the MAF replaced FOC under the warranty, and still have the option of claiming against VW UK if I choose to - although for the sake of £260 it might not be worth the trouble. It may be a small enough price to pay to have a car which shouldn't give any more trouble for a couple of years - with those bits at least.

The car passed the MOT! And Ireland won. All in all, the weekend has turned out not too badly .... 8-D

andymc
Passat Warranty Rejection, safety - Nortones2
Good to see a resolution, but I cannot believe that a structural part of the suspension should fail before end of the vehicle life, assuming that the VAG franchise is not telling porkies. Is there actually anything wrong, apart from the consumables such as bushes? If there is, perhaps if you keep the parts and invite the Vehicle Inspectorate or CA to have a look, VAG may belatedly take an interest. They won't do until some factual engineering evidence of a fault is provided to wake them up.
Yep, I'll do that. Something else has cropped up, by the way - now that the warranty period is over, I didn't use a main dealer but went back to my mechanic for a full service instead. He estimated that the car hadn't had a fuel filter change in over a year - in excess of 20000 miles. Considering a full service was supposed to be part of the deal when I bought the car last March, and the fact that I had paid for a main dealer service in October to keep up the warranty, I am less than happy. He showed me the fuel & air filters and they were both filthy. He also showed me a fuel filter he had taken off a high-mileage car after six months - there was far less grime and road dirt on the outside of that than on my one. I've asked him to hang on to it for me so I can check the part number against the one on the receipt I got at the time of the service. If they are different, #*&%@#!!!!

So far, I'm keeping my cool, but any more deep breaths and I'll be starting to levitate.
andymc