Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - Sangre
Hi Guys,

Have an M-reg Honda Accord coupe and every time the aerial at the back goes up or down I get a thump, thump, thump noise as though it is on a spool of some kind that is rotating when it should\'nt.

Any clues on whether I can tinker in the boot and fix it myself?
Does a clip or something need replacing?

Cheers

Dan
Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - Andrew-T
The description sounds like a worm-gear skipping as it winds the aerial up or down. If so, it's purely a mechanical problem and there seems no reason not to tinker if you are so inclined. Perhaps the meshing parts are nylon and worn? Try rinsing the aerial stem in WD40 and regreasing it.
Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - Mark (RLBS)
I think you might find that your aerial is dirty. I suspect the various parts of the aerial mast are sticking before retracting into the next part and letting go with a little thump and making a small thump as they collide with the next one to pull it in.

Ditto when going up they are resisting slightly before fully extending.

Try giving it a thorough clean to get all the much/ corrosion/ whatever off it and see if it makes a difference.

M.

p.s. I know the explanation wasn't very clear, but I know what I meant.
Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - Dynamic Dave
The thumping you're hearing is the slip clutch and it's designed so that it slips (obviously) if the mast is stiff or kinked. It prevents the motor from burning itself out. IIRC, there's a round disc with two notches cut in it. Two ball bearings are sprung loaded and locate in these notches. When the motor strugles the balls spring out of the notches allowing the disc to continue to rotate.

As others have suggested, give it a squirt of jollop.
Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - Sangre
Thanks all - the oil I'm using obviously ain't cutting it. Will grease it up!

Cheers
Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - Dynamic Dave
Is the aerial fully extending and retracting? If so then the noise is perfectly normal - ie, the slip clutch is making the noise.
Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - MW
When electric aerials go down thet do go thump thump. Thats normal. If it goes up and down, all is OK. However, if it is sticking I fear that any form of oiling makes matters worse in the long run, as when the aerial cuts through the air, it picks up lots of gung that it takes down inside when it retracts. Here, the best solution is to dismantle the body, and take out the aerial mast and the connected white nylon strip with the teeth on it. Clean everything up, including all the pulleys. Be very careful to note what comes off, and where it all connects. Mkes sure nothing springs out. Grease it all up well, and reasemble. The difference is amazing, as it smoothly glides up and down. I have done two of these (not a Honda), and in one replaced the mast and nylon for about £6 when a car wash took it off. Can one still buy these separate units?
Afterwards, wipe the chrome mast weekly with a wet (not oily) rag, to take off the gunge. Waxing the chrome also makes it slide easier.
Radio aerial goes thump. Honda Accord. - Aprilia
Never put oil or WD-40 on a power aerial - it makes matters worse. Polish it clean, maybe using a little wax or silicone spray.
Use silicone grease in the spool mechanism.