Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - bilbo
I had insurance from 93-2000 and had a letter stating I had 6 years NCD June 2000. I then had a company car until now. The only 'accident' I've had was Nov 2003 when I clipped wing mirrors with an oncoming vehicle (narrow lane at night), the other car didn't stop, and my employers placed an insurance claim for the £130 repair bill. I'm now getting my own car, and insurance companies wont give me any NCD, and most of the quotes I'm getting for an Xsara HDI are £920-£2000+.

Are there any companies that will recognise my NCD from 3.5 years ago.

It seems that because I've broken a wing mirror, that the previous 10 years of accident free driving don't count, which to me seems ridiculous.
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - martint123
Sadly NCD means No Claims Discount and you've had a claim.
Unless your employer gives you a letter saying you've had no claims in xx years you've had it.

Are there any companies that will recognise my NCD from 3.5 years ago.

I doubt it. It could also be fraudulent - what do you say to the question "have you had an accident or made a claim in the last five years"

All part of the problem of moving from a company car to a private car. As a private car owner, would you have claimed for a wing mirror, having a 200 to 500 pound excess and knowing you'd lose some or all of your NCD?
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - M.M
bilbo,

You can get lucky. After 5 yrs of company cars I went back to my own vehicle and was able to get full (or almost full) NCD. This despite declaring a £400 claim a year earlier but the insurer was happy to discount it as the company paid for the repair direct without an insurance claim and it was associated with a work related circumstance.

I'm struggling to remember but I think it was either with Norwich Union or the NFU.

I'd keep trying, a good broker might be best.

M.M
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - dba
there are some insurance companies that recognise company car NCD. cant think off the top of my head but try tesco, direct line, churchill or egg.com

i remember going onto one of the above websites and seeing NCD for company car drivers
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - Nsar
Tesco recognised mine with a letter. I appreciate it's not quite the same as your circumstance but I'd give them a buzz.
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - Mad Maxy
This is a typical example of insurance companies' left-brain behaviour - a computer or a clerk is just following rules. Often the rules don't take account of the wider picture that determines the magnitude of the risk. Thinking isn't part of 'efficient' business.

It's just one of the many reasons that insurance companies have lousy brands.

Take my word for it: I work in financial services. (No need to send me hate mail - I'm not an 'adviser'.)
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - No Do$h
Take my word for it: I work in financial services. (No
need to send me hate mail - I'm not an 'adviser'.)

Not another one! We're getting thick as flys in here.

No Dosh, moderator and part-time Compliance Consultant.
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - Rebecca {P}
When I handed back my company car Direct Line gave me the best quote (more than £100 lower than the next best). Their quote was based on 5 years NCD (7 years on company insurance - provided letter of confirmation). Now the year is up that 5yrs is completely portable - although it seems they are still the cheapest so I may be staying put.

While I didn't have the complication of the claim, DL seemed the most switched on to company car drivers.

(Couldn't protect the NCD last year, but can from renewal)
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - Mark (RLBS)
With a claim he is very unlikely to get any introductory discount, you need to talk to an insurance company who recognises company car driving as relevant.

Are you *sure* the company claimed for that repair ? It would be below the excess for most fleet insurance. It is worth checking.

If they have claimed...

You will need a letter from your company stating that you had sole use, or at least were by far and away the main user.

It needs to state that there was only one claim in n years.

You then need to argue the point that if it had been your own car then you would have had max discount reduced to 40% as a result of the claim, and therefore you should get that discount reflected.

I would say the first step is to request a letter from your company and see how the resultant reply is worded.
Long driving history, no NCD, expensive - SR
I also didn't have the complicaton of a claim, but Norwich Union Direct gave me a large introductory discount without written proof of an accident-free record on company cars - they said they will only require such proof if I claim from them.