DVLA recording mileage history - Cardew
There was a thread recently wondering why there was provision for recording mileage on the RFL application form(V11) when it was not used - the V11 now simply has the bar code scanned. I queried this with DVLA and received the following reply:-

"Thank you for your e-mail concerning the recording of mileage
information on our V11 Licence Reminders.

Until the necessary legislation is in place, mileage recording can only be done on a voluntary basis. In the past, the information was collected and used by the Agency if investigating a case of "clocking" or passed, on request, to vehicle check companies if there was a need for verification purposes.

Previous access to the mileage data was infrequent so the temporary Impact of the new electronic system of vehicle licensing should not be significant. We have not removed the mileage required from the V11 for two reasons.

One, to reserve the space and, two, to encourage licence applicants to retain the habit of completion. Both of these are in the anticipation of the requirement becoming a mandatory one.

However, you may be interested to know that later this year the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency will establish an MOT database which will include a record of vehicle mileage. On full roll-out, the mileage information will be available to enquirers from a Helpline.

I hope this is information is helpful."
DVLA recording mileage history - Pugugly {P}
Refreshingly clear.
DVLA recording mileage history - martint123
Hmmm is an odometer a legal requirement? The speedometer isn't part of the MOT test. Many moons ago I had a semi offroad bike and the speedo was under the seat somewhere. Legally required, but not legally required to be easy to read.
I'm sure some custom bikes have those 'sigma' type pushbike speedos and their odometers are reset at the push of a button or battery change.

DVLA recording mileage history - daveyjp
All very well getting people to keep the habit of filling the mileage in, but I filled it in, realised the data wasn't collected as the form was handed back. Needless to say I won't be bothering next time! Make mileage recording mandatory from day one and not from when the first MOT is due - you can do a lot of miles in three years.
DVLA recording mileage history - Cardew
Daveyjp,
Under the proposed system the mileage recording will be mandatory from day one - when presumably it will be just delivery miles - and again each 6/12 months(on the V11) when the car is re-taxed. The MOT mileage database will be an additional check.

Although not foolproof it at least will be a step in the right direction.

C