Discount off list price & p/x value - Marc
Morning - I'm going to try to get a discount off the list price of a Mazda6 1.8 hatch - should I ask for the dealer's p/x valuation on my car before or after?

Thinking being that if I negotiate a discount first then the dealer will just reduce the p/x value on my car accordingly - or can you not get a discount if you have a car to trade in?

Thanks
Discount off list price & p/x value - Martin Wall
Probably best to just ask for a cost to change. Find out how much your existing car is worth via a used car price guide (e.g. Parkers) and find out how much you would expect to pay for your new car from a car broker (where you get a big discount but they won't take your trade-in) and you can use these to bargain with your dealer.

If you can be bothered with the hassle you'll get the best deal if you can sell your own car privately and then get your dealer to match/get close to the broker price. Depends if your own car is saleable though and what it is worth...

Good luck!
Discount off list price & p/x value - DavidHM
What he said. What the dealer giveth, he taketh away.
Discount off list price & p/x value - Phil P
First thing to do is some homework - work out what you want for your car and what you think is achievable off the list price of the Mazda, then aim toward that cost-to-change when haggling and let them decide how to achieve it.

I just part-ex'd my Focus for a 2001 BMW 520i SE - I was offered £4,300 for the Focus against £11,999 for the Bimmer, but haggled toward a price of £7,000 to change. Got the Focus part-ex valuation bumped up to £4,999 achieving my goal. :o)