Rover Metro Headlights - Shawz
The Headlights on my rover metro 94 m reg have stopped working.
The side lights work but I can't get main or dipped beam on them. I can flash using full beam and that works fine.

DOes anyone have any ideas?

Any help much appreicated.
Rover Metro Headlights - maru
seems like you are having H4 type headlight, since these bulb having 2 filamens, 1 for dipped and the other for high beam. Most likely the filamen for the dipped has blown off.
Rover Metro Headlights - Shawz
I am a bit confused :-(
Would this stop me getting both dipped and main beam as I can only get the main beam when I flash. WHen I use the switch for main beam I don't get anything.
Rover Metro Headlights - No Do$h
IIRC there is a known weakness with the switch contacts for this car. I had an earlier one for a couple of miserable months and the lights went twice, both times in the middle of the New Forest in the dark (well, naturally in the dark).

AA fiddled it by bypassing the switch to leave the lights on until I could get the car to the garage. May be worth just seeing if you can get the lights by applying a current to them directly. If they work, pound to a penny it's the headlamp switch.
Rover Metro Headlights - Robin the Technician
No Dosh is right- this is a switch problem which was fitted across a wide spectrum of Rover cars. I had the same problem with both my old montego and SWMBO 's Metro. Replacement of the switch requires removal of the column cowl then squeezing the retaining clips and withdrawing the complete arm. Quite a straightforward job to do.

Hope this helps...

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Rover Metro Headlights - Doc
Also worth checking the headlight relay located in the fusebox under the dash.

Rover Metro Headlights - DL
Yes...the Dim-Dip relay is a common culprit for this fault too.

That's where I would put my money. It's an orange box about an inch square, think it says "Lucas" on it, if that helps.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link