Computer Related Questions. Volume 5 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 6 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20752

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 5. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Claybuster
Virus?
Last two days I have been getting a pop-up message on my screen for a \"Microsoft Critical Update\" with an option to view update files or cancel for 24 hrs. Looks nice and genuine but I\'m sure I read something in the papers last week about something similar and it said Microsoft do not contact people or their computers. Anybody help me on this? if it\'s not genuine how do I stop it popping up tomorrow?
My system runs Windows 98 and I also run AVG6 (which picked up 2 spoof emails yesterday with the I-Worm/NetskyB virus and deleted them) but this one has me beat. I\'ve been on the Microsoft web site and they do have Critical Updates but this article which I read (but can\'t remember all of it) keeps niggling away. Just for info been on a lot of sites last couple of days looking for mp3 sound editing freeware!!
Any advice would be appreciated
Claybuster
Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Mystic
Sounds like you have critical update installation installed. this is a program that runs in the background and automatically notifies you (it may download them as well but i think this depends on settings) when updates are available from microsoft.

So its safe.
Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Welliesorter
As Mystic says, this sounds OK. On Windows XP the notification looks a bit like a speech bubble in the tray area (usually bottom left) of the screen. If you're wary you could achieve the same by using the Windows Update site.

The articles you probably saw referred to e-mails purporting to be from Microsoft. These were all bogus as Microsoft never sends updates as e-mail attachments. It was discussed here at www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19123 .
Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Vin {P}
try:

www.grc.com/default.htm

First of all, this is an excellent site on security - it\'s my standard poinbt of reference.

A couple of page downs and you\'ll hit \"the three musketeers\". The third of these is \"shoot the messenger\". Click on that, follow the instructions and you may find that resolves the problem.

Direct link is at www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

BTW, I would also recommend that you look roiund the whole site - the top of page 1 contains vital info about the newest MS security hole. Also, try clicking on \"shields up\", follow through to \"probe my ports\". That\'ll give you the (probably horrifying) news about the visibility and vulnerability of your machine if you;re not running a firewall.

HTH,

V
help from mvps.org - Dalglish
microsoft valued professional services offer the following advice

claybuster - messenger problem
mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger.php
"Popup messages from the Messenger Service are intended to pass on short messages from network administrators to users on client computers. However recently they have been used as a form of spam as Windows NT based machines come with the service for them turned on out off the box. Although the name is similar this has nothing to do with the MSN or Windows Messenger Service. These messages do not originate from Microsoft but changes will be made to Windows XP in Service Pack 2 to prevent them from appearing. "

steveh42 - xp shutdown problem
mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/bsod.php
"Stop errors in a nutshell are errors that are serious enough to cause Windows to stop. They are similar to the blue screen errors that were present on Windows 9x, however there is no option to try and resume the session in a Windows NT Stop Error (Windows 2000 and all XP members included).
On Windows XP, when a stop error occurs it can seem like the system is just rebooting its self. You might see a flash of blue just before the machine restarts itself. This is because Windows XP is set to automatically restart by default when a blue screen error occurs (see image below)."

messenger problem - another site to look at
www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
How to turn off Windows Messenger Service

Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - borasport20
Claybuster - is it a 'proper' pop-up box - in which case it is likely to be bogus.
If you have windows update enabled, you should have the windows update icon in the system tray (right hand end of the task bar), and you may get a 'speech bubble' popping up from this ocasionally when an update is due.

You would be wise to install all the critical updates that you can find at microsoft, and if you do that, your pop-up SHOULD dissapear if it is genuine, BUT there is an issue with a recent patch to windows 2000 which means that if that is the operating system you use, it doesn't recognise one of its own patches and reinstalls it day after day after day....

besides running AVG, a good firewall (zonealarm, etc,etc) is essential, and some form of spyware checker (adaware,...) is advisable

just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Cardew
I would like to ask a supplementary question on critical Microsoft Updates. I have a Pentium 3 PC in UK running Windows ME and a Pentium 4 PC in the USA running XP home.

I regularly download the Updates on both machines and both machines are working OK. On the more modern USA machine all of the updates are individually listed as a separate program - 12 or more of them. This doesn't happen on the UK machine.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Altea Ego
Yes the updates to ME are packaged differently and ME handles them differently - they are different types of update. Its no the country its the OS
Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Cardew
RF,
Thanks,
I appreciate the country makes no difference.

I have used 3.1, Win95 & Win 98. These OS handled the updates in a similar manner to ME in this aspect, i.e. not listed as programs.

I take it then that on XP all updates are listed individually as a program?

C
Virus? Microsoft Critical Update message - Welliesorter
I have used 3.1, Win95 & Win 98.

Like Windows Me, and despite Microsoft's efforts to hide it, all these are pretty front ends for MSDOS.

Windows XP is an updated version of Windows 2000, which was itself the successor to Windows NT.

Despite the short gap between the two appearing, Windows XP is much more modern than Windows Me and it was Microsoft's first attempt at having the same OS for business and home users.

Sound card installation problem - maz64
Hi

I having trouble installing a Hercules Muse Lt 4.1 sound card into my PC. It's not a driver problem because I don't even get the 'new hardware found' window at power up. I've tried various PCI slots, and also putting a working card (PCI ADSL modem) into one of the slots I've been trying to prove the slots themselves are OK.

The m'board is an ECS K7S5A with built-in (AC97) sound, but I've been into the BIOS to disable it, after also having uninstalled the relevant drivers.

I strongly suspect that the card is not working, but I'm going to try to find someone else to volunteer to try it in their machine as well. In the mean time, can anyone suggest anything else I could try?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
John

Duron 800, ECS K7S5A, XP Pro, 512MB, GeForce2 MX400 64MB AGPx4, 80Gb Maxtor HD, Liteon CD-RW, Conextant ADSL PCI modem
Sound card installation problem - Kuang
I think you're probably right in suspecting the card itself - you should get some response/detection, even with the onboard sound enabled. It might be worth trying to insert the card again and force windows to try to detect it through the 'Add New Hardware' dialogue. If you're running an AGP graphics card, try to avoid the slot next to it as this can sometimes lead to clashes.
Thanks Kuang- I tried forcing Windows to detect it but no joy, and the slots I've tried include those furthest from the AGP graphics card. But I've found a volunteer who's going to try it on his own PC tonight.
Cheers
John
Sound card installation problem - frostbite
Passing thought.. Are you sure there are no jumpers to alter on the mobo to disable the on board sound?
To be honest, I hadn't thought about that, although I'm fairly sure you only need to disable it in the BIOS. This appears to work in that it disappears from the Hardware Manager, but I'll double check when I get home tonight. Thanks.
John
Mozilla Firefox browser. Any comments? - THe Growler
I was wondering if any of the wirehead techies out there had any comments about the new Mozilla Firefox browser? I\'ve been using it for the last day or two and I like its speed and simplicity compared with IE.
Mozilla Firefox browser. Any comments? - Baskerville
Not sure if wirehead sums me up--just someone who likes things to work properly and easily. I've been using Firebird (now known as Firefox) for quite a while now in Linux and Windows, and in my opinion it is far superior even in its current Beta state than IE (which I'm being forced to use right now and hate with a passion). Once you get the hand of the "extensions" and things like tabbed browsing Firefox and Mozilla in general is a big leap forward in my opinion. Rumours are that the next IE will have features like tabbed browsing.

Have you tried OpenOffice.org yet? It's a free office suite that is likely to give MS Office a run for its money (runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac). It lets you export files to .pdf format too.
Mozilla Firefox browser. Any comments? - Welliesorter
I'm not a qualified wirehead, but I can only echo ChrisR's remarks. I've been using Firebird/Firefox as my main browser on Windows for a few months and only go back to IE when forced. The 'Flash Click to View' extension is by far the most useful. Mozilla proper is also good but it's not as fast.

I'm less impressed with the Mozilla Thunderbird mail program. I know there are good reasons for not using Outlook or Outlook Express but this isn't (yet) the program to cause people to defect. Admittedly, it's only on version 0.5 so it may improve.
MSGTAG E-mail receipt. - M.M
Had this sent by a friend...

MSGTAG lets you know when the emails you've sent are opened. It means you're not sitting around wondering whether your friend has received your e-mail or not -- you'll know as soon as they see it.

If you think this sounds like a good idea, visit our website (www.messagetag.com) to download a free copy of MSGTAG and try it out.

Looking at the site it claims you don't have to send any receipt back by ticking a box or whatever. Somehow it "knows" when you've read the mail and informs the sender.

Surely this can only happen if there is a program attached to the mail that causes your PC to go online and report back when you open it.

Sounds like a privacy issue to me.

M.M

MSGTAG E-mail receipt. - Vin {P}
A company I know (no names, no pack drill) sends out email shots and uses s/w like this to get notification that someone is reading the email while it is happening. They then call the recipient while he/she is still reading it. Frightening!

V
MSGTAG E-mail receipt. - Welliesorter
Surely this can only happen if there is a program attached
to the mail that causes your PC to go online and
report back when you open it.
Sounds like a privacy issue to me.

Without having tried it myself, my best guess is that it sends an e-mail in HTML format and embeds a tag that requests a small, uniquely identified, image in each message. Then, when the recipient opens the message, their mail software requests the image from a remote server and the notification is generated. The image would only have to be a 1 pixel by 1 pixel transparent gif so it could be invisible to the recipient unless they view the source code of the message.

This would certainly work in Outlook and Outlook Express, as well as most web-based e-mail services. Yahoo! Mail has the ability to turn off HTML graphics to prevent it happening.

I'm pretty sure some companies use this method as a way of detecting whether their marketing messages have been read. That is why they prefer to send mail in HTML rather than plain text.

Whatever method it uses, I don't see how it could work if the recipient isn't connected to the net when reading their mail or if they're using an e-mail program that works only with plain text.

hard disc query - billy25
morning all,
basic question really,
our computer at home is used by all the family, kids for games/internet, missus usually office suite,yours truly for coming here, and running the various v/checkers, system cleaners etc. due to the variety of users our system seems to develop operating probs every so often, eg hang-ups, freezes,crashes etc,which neccesitates me having to have a complete wipe-off, and reformat,and reload approx every 3 mnths.
if i was to set it up and use the family log-on feature(which i know lets you customise your own desktop)would each user only have access to thier own area of h/drive, or would they still be able to use any program installed?and if so, would i be able just to wipe the offending section of disc when the probs occour? rather than the whole thing. one last Q, will this regular wiping have any detrimental effect on the life of the system?.

thanks for your help,

billy.
hard disc query - Welliesorter
Billy,

you've left out one piece of vital info. Which operating system are you using? At a guess it's some version of Windows. If 95/98/Me there's virtually no security. With XP and other NT-derived versions of windows I believe you can hide users' files from each other. This wouldn't prevent users using each others' programs. You can set up different user accounts with different privileges. I don't think this'll work with the family logon feature. You have to set up passwords for everyone. You get a login box rather than a menu from which to choose your username.

I don't see how regular wiping (are you really wiping or just re-formatting?) would do any physical harm.

sorry welliesorter,
its an athlon 700, running windows 98se, 20gb h/disc. what i was really wanting to try to do, is to keep kids from playing with things like "system mechanic" + "norton utilities" and trying to reair it themselves when thier games don't run right!!. would like to give them thier own bit of disc, but would like to keep control of the system utilities myself.
cheers
billy.
In that case, there's virtually no security, at least not without installing some sort of third party software that prevents users doing things.

Even with a version of Windows that does have some measure of security, users all share programs although you could hide shortcuts to them under some user accounts. An advantage of XP is that you can have different classes of user with different privileges.

What you want would be relatively easy to achieve in Linux (each user has a home directory with their own files and configurations) but that might be too steep a learning curve for all users of the PC.

The solution might be to use some software like Norton Ghost. This enables you to make an image of your disk. You could make a Ghost image of a working system and restore it when the fiddling has created problems. This would be much quicker than re-installing Windows and all your programs from scratch. You'd probably need a second hard drive for this but these are surprisingly cheap now.
hard disc query - smokie
Billy - would it help if you simply removed desktop shortcuts and start menu entries to those items you want to protect? It might stop "casual" fiddling.
hard disc query - Baskerville
Give the kids the steep learning curve--not that it is all that steep these days--they'll thank you for it in ten years' time when MS is no longer so dominant and we'll all have to be more adaptable. Xandros Linux will run better than Win98 on that machine, will be much more secure, with dedicated user accounts and an "administrator account" (you keep the password to that one secret). Anyone can install anything in their own user account but the system is only changeable by the administrator. Xandros Deluxe ($90) allows you to run key MS-based software (Office etc.) on Linux. Plus you can keep Windows on the same harddisk and "dual boot". The install is a piece of cake if you're used to installing Win98.

www.xandros.com

Chris
thanks smokie + chris r,

i've tried hiding things in the past, but it's not ideal, trouble is if i don't see them i forget they are there! as was highlighted last time i wiped/reformatted, missus has various files "hidden" in obscure places across the disc,as well as in her "work" folder, i saved her work folder, but lost a weeks other work she had hidden(was i in the dog house that week!!!)

chris r, i must admit i've fancied linux for some time after reading some good things about it, but as yet i hanen't had the bottle to try it!, ive another format coming up shortly (things starting to get sticky again!) so may just try and install it then, along with the win 98 o/s. any info on this dual boot thingy?

thanks both
billy.
hard disc query - Baskerville
Xandros gets great reviews for new Linux users--they have a vast repository of free, safe, and easy to install Linux software--do check their hardware compatibility list first as Linux comes with all the necessary drivers installed, but there might not be one for something you have. Xandros Deluxe automatically partitions your disk into two sections for Windows and Linux (files in the Windows partition are available through the Linux file manager). You have to install Windows first as it takes over the whole disk, whatever you've already installed there (Xandros in this case). Xandros comes with its own firewall and pretty much everything else you need included.

If you're worried about going straight for an install, try (free download) Mepis Linux, Knoppix, or PCLinuxOS (you can find them through www.distrowatch.com ) which run from a CD. That way you can try them (running a bit slow) without installing anything to your PC. I'm using Mepis right now and do all my work on it, but I installed it to the HD--takes about 20 minutes and just one reboot. As I say, if you're happy installing Win98, you'll get the hang of installing Linux very quickly. It's easier in fact (and much quicker), but it is different so you need to get used to it.
now then welliesorter! you may have just hit on something with the second h/drive option!
would it be possible if..... i installed a d:drive purely for the kids games, to keep them off the main c:drive? if i installed windows to the d drive is there a dual boot thingy (simple keypress for eg) that could be used at start-up,to boot directly and take them to d: so that they would have no access to c:(do i make sense?)

billy.
Another thought: Windows 98 has something called the System Policy Editor that enables you to lock certain features. A quick Google reveals www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/polediti.htm .

I have no personal experience of using it, and don't know whether it would suite your needs, but it may help.
excellent welliesorter!
that may well be just what i'm looking for, will try it asap,seems simple enough at the mo!
thankyou,
billy.
hard disc query - Solunauk
There is a very good little utility called Crowd Control - we have used it for years. You can set up individual desktops, hide partitions/drives from certain users, limit what programs they can run etc. Download from:

www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,9...p

It also seems to work happily in conjunction with CyberSitter, to really lock those kids down!

Sol
Win XP. Virus appears on boot up. - tomandjerry56
i was wondering if you could help me i have a windows xp and when you turn it on it comes up saying that it has got a virus so ive run a virus scan and it has said ive got a virus got rid of the virus but when you turn it on it is still coming up c./apps/clickme/clickme.exe i was wondering if any ones knowes what it is or how to get rid of it cheers
Win XP. Virus appears on boot up. - Baskerville
If you can get the thing to start up, go to system restore in the control panel and switch it off. Then delete the virus using your AV software. Then switch on system restore again if you feel like it--I\'ve always found it more trouble than anything else. What\'s happening is the virus is deleted from the system but not from the restore files. As soon as you wake up the machine it reinstalls itself.

Good luck.
Win XP. Virus appears on boot up. - Altea Ego
Its one of four virus (its a worm actually) In order of likelyhood (the first is most likely)

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w...l

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/v...l

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/v...l

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w...l
Speedy hackers and viruses - smokie
Yesterday morning I built a new computer for a friend from components. It was on XP Home Edition and he has an ADSL connection.

Once everything was set up, I decided to go onto the internet to carry out the final parts of the install. These were:

Download all Microsoft Critical updates
Download ZoneAlarm
Download Norton updates (his CD was somewhat old!)

Within about 30 seconds of connecting, Norton AV popped up that we had a virus. It had quarantined it so no problem (and yes, it was genuine).

Then as I was trying to download, a pop up came up saying the computer was about to be closed down (1 minute warning). This happened persitently, and the virus always appeared shortly after reboots and connects. I think there was a remote person/computer causing it to close down (For the techies, it was RIPC which was being cancelled)

It took some real patience to get all the downloads on, and once I had, it was rock solid stable.

I was surprised at how rapidly a new connection was sniffed out by the unwashed, and was attacked. And how easily I could have been compromised, had I not known what I was doing.

So, the message here is to anyone, especially on broadband, KEEP YOUR COMPUTER UP TO DATE - and use a reputable firewall and anti virus product.
Speedy hackers and viruses - Kuang
It's frightening, isn't it? Sounds like you had a variant of Blaster or Welchia.

We had a similar thing recently at work - some muppet kept plugging in a personal laptop (against all our policies) to leech the bandwidth they didn't have at home. Unfortunately they had Welchia on it and promptly flooded the network with probes for open machines. On the bright side, my network viewer lit up like a christmas tree and I was able to pinpoint the offending machine straight away. If I hadn't already patched all of the 2K/XP boxes a couple of weeks earlier, they would all have become instantly affected.

So, in addition to your excellent advice I'd like to add something extra - keep a copy of Zonealarm on CD along with 2K and XP service pack 1 and patches for Blaster and Welchia(*). Install them all before you even connect to the net for the first time, and you should buy yourself enough time to get the rest of the patches done safely.

------

(*) Of course, you're now not allowed to do this thanks to M$ new rules about third party distribution, and are supposed to download them every time..
Speedy hackers and viruses - keo-the-dog
had the exact same problem bear with it and download the microsoft updates except service pack 1 once these are installed this so called virus problem will stop zone alarm will not stop it it actually creates more problems it is not a destructive virus or worm it is basically a denial of service type of thing ie remote procedure call it shuts down your computer just restart and carry on with microsoft updates once these are installed it will stop happening then you can use anti virus software zone alarm etc this is the advice i was given by the buider of our system of 4 home pc's all linked to share broadband connection all using xp pro it's time consuming but it works and i coulddnt find virus afterwards using avg 6 and norton pro edition it is apparently very common and only with broadband you wont get it with dial up as i say i got it and was tearing my hair out till i got the updates
There's a little more to it than that - the RPC based viruses contact your machine via a pre-specified port (or ports - in this case, TCP 135/139/445/593/4444 and UDP 69/135/137/138) to probe for a vulnerability in that subsystem. If they find it they can use it to install a local copy of the exploit code, which will then download the actual virus code from a third party location. Zonealarm configured properly can stop this type of virus because it'll block incoming traffic of that type on a port-by-port basis, and will refuse to grant access out to a process withjout asking you first.

It isn't limited to broadband either, but is more common because many people leave their machines permanently on and so offer more opportunities for infection. I've personally fixed a fair few machines with with this issue, which had access varying from dialup to broadband and even networked access via proxies.

You can never say it enough - get a good firewall and make sure you understand how to set it up properly. It might take a few hours headscratching, but it'll pay you back many times over :)
Speedy hackers and viruses - Baskerville
This makes you think:

www.eeye.com/html/Research/Upcoming/index.html

It's a list of vulnerabilities currently known to Microsoft that have not yet been patched, including the staggering number of days since the vulnerability was reported.
Speedy hackers and viruses - keo-the-dog
not particularlly technically minded with computer and i dont doubt what you say only quoting my own experience and cure but couldnt agree more about anti-virus and firewall just found when trying to update xp via microsoft zone alarm was interfering with the process ie rpc was kicking in before i got on microsoft site. certainly bow to your greater knowledge as i said i am not that good but what i did worked so thought it worth sharing
Getting the job done is always the main thing, and the more ways to do it, the better - not every solution works for everyone :) It's good of you to share your experience as problems like this can only be solved through education and you can never have too much of that! Stick with what works for you, that's what I say :)
Speedy hackers and viruses - Baskerville
I've heard that Microsoft is planning to release an interim version of XP with the patches in place for exactly this reason--you will also be able to order an "update" disk. It is impossible to attach an unpatched Windows box to the Internet without getting infected. If you're on *DSL I can recommend getting hold of a router with a built-in firewall and connect through that. That should keep you protected until the patches are downloaded.

Unfortunately this could turn out to be to XP what Windows ME was to Win98.
CD Burning. - malteser
I have a "video clip" - well actually a film, which I wish to burn to a CD to view on my DVD player which has multi format support, including DivX, VCD, etc etc..
The problem is that the file will not fit onto a standard 700 MB CD-R as it is too big! I can convert to various other formats without too much trouble but I cannot find a CD/movie maker program which will allow the file to be split between 2 or more CDs.
I have Nero burning ROM and of course Windows Movie Maker, but neither seem to have the capability to do the "splits"! I may have missed something, so advice would be appreciated.
Roger.
CD Burning. - Altea Ego
What format is the film in? on what media? If its electronic it will have all the important data encoded up front (lenght data size, coding method, ecc, etc so you cant split it between two CDs without recreating all that staff at the split. The film needs to be electroniacally edited into two seperate files first.
CD Burning. - Welliesorter
I don't know much about this area but my brief dabblings into video have been aided by www.dvdrhelp.com , which comes highly recommended.
CD Burning. - malteser
The video is electronically held as a file with the .avi extension and was wrongly described as DivX, when according to a neat little program I have "Gspot" (yes really!) it is, in fact, in Xvid format.
AS I mentioned converting to other formats is not really a problem as I have a couple of programs designed to do that.ISTR I had a program called Easy movie maker or something similar (Adaptec possibly) which could burn a single film onto two CDs, but their site is not terribly helpful in the FAQs as to this capability.
Roger.
CD Burning. - keo-the-dog
not over sure but i think the latest nero software allows you to do this its expensive though and as far as i know unable to be hacked hence no illegal copies available not that i condone illegal copies of software but i think you can get a trial version of it (time limited and not all features are available but it should give you an idea of its capabilities ).
cheers...keo..
CD Burning. - tone
use your editing software, windows movie maker should do it, to trim the end of the movie in the first instance, then trim the start off on the second (asssuming the movie would fit on 2 discs)
Conncting printers. USB or parallel best - Mike H
I\'ve just bought a secondhand printer which has the option of connecting either via USB parallel. My old printer didn\'t have the choice so it was always parallel. The question is, what is the best way of connecting the new one? I assume that it will be faster using USB, but are there any other factors to take into account?
Conncting printers. USB or parallel best - Mark (RLBS)
Its better on USB and I would only put it on the parallel port if I had a lot of USB devices and only a few ports.
Conncting printers. USB or parallel best - smokie
From memory, I\'d avoid using USB if you are on any version of Windows 98 prior to Second Edition (SE). IIRC USB was rather flaky until then, and could result in \"low resource\" messages and cause your computer to stop.

NB This only applies to Windows 98 not XP etc
Conncting printers. USB or parallel best - smokie
btw the printer is unlikely to be any faster on USB. Data transfer might be quicker, but pages per minute is governed by the printer mechanics not the connection.
"Semi-Crash"? - OAP
Further to my question in Volume 4.

Many thanks to all who suggested solutions. I cannot answer each one in detail as I am still having to travel to a friend's business to access the 'net and I am anxious not to abuse the privilege!!

When I have cracked the problem I will put a post on the forum to say how it was achieved.
Slow loading HJ pages - PhilW
Dear All,
Hj pages taking an age to load at the moment. Every time I go to a new message the whole page, banners, HJ picure, ads, auction news etc seem to have to reload - yet on other sites these seem to appear much more quickly because (I presume) they are stored in the cache(?) and load from the hard disc rather that the website each time.
Am I doing something wrong or is it the site? I am using a 56k modem, Windows ME, 512 ram etc
Thanks
Phil
Slow loading HJ pages - M.M
I think it is the intensive ad/pop-up loading carried by the site. It is getting an absolute pain (on normal dial-up) to look through on threaded view as each new page is "held back" by the pop-up loading.

I fully accept that is the way HJ wants it, however annoying.

M.M
Slow loading HJ pages - Mark (RLBS)
I sympathise.

All I can say is that the Google toolbar is free, very easy to install and contains a pop-up stopper.

That will stop the pop-ups, almost 100% in my experience, but it won't prevent the delay while the adverts load. To us, this seems to be occuring early to middle afternoon.

Stephen is looking into it and is talking with HJ.

Not much else I can say.

M.
Internet worm NetSky.B back as NetSky.D - Chad.R
The internet worm NetSky.B is back again, this time as NetSky.D

More details at - news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3525627.stm

Chad.
Internet worm NetSky.B back as NetSky.D - Kuang
There's also an E variant too - we just had a single infection that generated enough network traffic in 3 hours to have the networking team rushing round like blue-bottomed bluebottles trying to find it ;) Fortunately we managed to contain it and deliberately have no local file sharing enabled so it couldn't so it's worst, but the potential for chaos on smaller networks is staggering...
Pop-Ups - Marcos{P}
I know this should be in the computer thread but I couldn't find it, Sorry!
My computer is bieng attacked by constant pop ups. They appear constantly and are now making my pc unusable.
I have spybot and spywareblaster installed but they are not helping. I presume that somewhere in the computer a program has been installed But I cant find it. I found a couple of adware programs installed and got rid of them but this is becoming very frustrating now.

HELP!
Pop-Ups - Godfrey H {P}
Marcos, go to www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html
download Cwshredder and run it and see if the problem will go away. Also download into it's own directory HiJackThis, close all other windows and run HiJackThis after you have run CwShredder.Save the HiJackThis log file to a text file and email it to me via my profile. Which version of Windows are you using?

GH
Pop-Ups - Phil P
I looked at this thread thinking it was going to be about pop-up headlamps!
Pop-Ups - Manatee
Have you actually tried AdAware? Download free from

www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

It often finds things that Spybot S&D doesn't and it specifically targets adware.
Pop-Ups - Rick99
You could just save yourself the hassle and download a decent browser like Opera where you can opt to turn all pop-ads off. Not that HJ will be too impressed by this, of course!
Pop-Ups - NowWheels
You could just save yourself the hassle and download a decent
browser like Opera where you can opt to turn all pop-ads
off. Not that HJ will be too impressed by this, of
course!

I have used Opera for years, and can thoroughly recommend it. I'm amazed that anyone still uses Internet Explorer!
Pop-Ups - Kevham
I'm another big Opera fan - it really is faster and far more user-friendly than Internet Explorer, and it's free!

www.opera.com/download/
Pop-Ups - Clanger
I used to use Ad-Aware but I now use Pest Patrol.
Once you have got rid of the junk in your cookies directory and your registry, it works interactively, unlike Ad-aware which needs you to start it up and run it.
www.pestpatrol.com/downloads/eval/download.asp

It doesn't get rid of pop-ups per se but it will find the key board logger that identifies certain key words that you are typing and firing the pop-ups.

Other pop-ups are blocked if you use Goolgle toolbar from here
www.google.com/options/

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Pop-Ups - frostbite
Have you actually tried AdAware?

It's certainly efficient but users should be aware that the checklist it uses is updated on a very frequent basis - on average once a week is my guess - so you need to keep a lookout for updates because it's only as good as the information you last fed it.
Pop-Ups - Dalglish
marcos

i wonder if if you are getting messenger pop-ups.

see instructions in the computer thread to kill these.
Pop-Ups - Mark (RLBS)
Marcos,

There are a couple that need specific action. Which pop up windows are you getting ?

e-mail if you prefer.

Mark.
Pop-Ups - Marcos{P}
Mark,
In the last few mins I have had these

bannerfarm.ace.advertising.com/bannerfarm/
www.clickspring.net/virgo/jimmysurf/stoppopsAd

Plus another one from Purity scan
Pop-Ups - Godfrey H {P}
If you give the BR half a chance we can sort it, but you do need to play ball see : www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20253&...e
Pop-Ups - Marcos{P}
Godfrey,

I tried to e-mail the results to you yesterday but they just get sent back by the daemon server complaining about the contents.
Pop-Ups - Godfrey H {P}
Marcos, Demon shouldn\'t object it\'s just a text file. Try my other email address ibum_370@yahoo.co.uk
Meanwhile what version of Windows are you using?
Pop-Ups - Marcos{P}
XP Home
Pop-Ups - Godfrey H {P}
Ok, there are a number of security vulnerabilities in Windows XP. Go to :www.grc.com/default.htm and download and execute \"the three musketeers\". Also run Windows Update and install all the Microsoft CRITICAL security patches.I take it you are running firewall software and upto-date anti-virus software?

To catch trojans one needs to scan with software from more than one source. To date no one product (free or paid for) catches them all. Please go to : www.webroot.com/wb/products/windowwasher/index.php
and get the trial version of Spyware Sweeper and run it. The first time you run it you need to be on-line as you are allowed one free update with the free version.

After that I still need to see a HiJackThis log to check If there is anything else hanging around.

GH
Colour Laser Printers - Martin Devon
Good morning all,

Anyone out there got a view on cheap colour laser printers. I\'ve seen them down to £359

Regards.
Colour Laser Printers - Mike H
There was a recent report in Personal Computer Weekly on budget colour laser printers - pcw.co.uk - but I can\'t find the comparative review offhand on their site.
Colour Laser Printers - arnold2
What do you need the printer for - text & graphic documents or pictures ?

Colour lasers are more expensive up-front, but cheaper on consumables - toner, etc; that's where inkjets fall down - cheap to buy, costly to run !

www.ebuyer.com list the Samsung CLP 500 Colour Laser Printer 20/5ppm Duplex at under £400, which is pretty good.
Protecting Documents - Paul Robinson

There are various bits of valuable information that I traditionally provide to my clients on a face to face basis (and charge them for the time the meeting takes). It would be much more efficient for me and for them, as it would reduce the cost, to provide the information electronically, but I could lose potential business if they then go and copy/forward the details to their contacts.

Is there a simple way I can protect the information and stop them doing this?
Protecting Documents - Altea Ego
1/ Adobe Acrobat. You can build and send these as attachements with the save button deactivated. The cant be copied and pasted or saved to disk. They can be printed or forwarded tho.

2/ Word documents can be protected, but there are lots of ways round that.

2/ Set up a web site. Make them come to you. There are loads of tricks and techniques to ensure that only people you want get access to certain sections and pages, and it can be prevented from capture (cut paste source read) etc.

There is however not much to prevent anything electronic be printed, and sent via snail mail. The trick there is watermark anything you send and then if it gets handed on at least you know and can prove its your IC.
Protecting Documents - pdc {P}
2/ Set up a web site. Make them come to you.
There are loads of tricks and techniques to ensure that only
people you want get access to certain sections and pages, and
it can be prevented from capture (cut paste source read) etc.

I would disagree with you there. You can't prevent HTML pages from being cut and pasted, even if you disable the right mouse button with javascript.

You may get away with protection using Flash, but the thing is, any screen capture program is going to bypass all security, and if you have an OCR package, you can run the screen captures through that and produce an editable copy.
Protecting Documents - Altea Ego
www.adobe.com/security/main.html
but I could
lose potential business if they then go and copy/forward the details
to their contacts.

what's to stop them from telling their contacts face to face what you have told them face to face?
Protecting Documents - Paul Robinson
There is nothing to stop them telling their contacts face to face, but that may be too much effort for many people! I think realistically I could only hope to make it difficult for people to pass the information on, so I guess I'm looking for the most simple way to do that!

Thanks for the help so far.
There isn't a simple way I'm afraid. Look at the trouble the music and film industries are having in preventing their property from being distributed, and they have billions to throw at the problem. You would need to look at Digital Rights Management (DRM), but that would be more trouble than it is worth I would guess.
Protecting Documents - Dalglish
for more on protecting documents, see

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1473849,00.asp

www.microsoft.com/mscorp/execmail/2003/05-07rights...p

also try a google search for microsoft email rights management.
Protecting Documents - arnold2
To protect PDF files, you need the full version Acrobat (not the free download) - you can, however, protect the whole document including copying, printing, saving, etc - and it's cross-platform; protect a Word doc, and if they have a Mac they may be able to read/copy the document whatever settings you apply on a PC ....
Protecting Documents - Dalglish
finally found the link for downloading the microsoft e-mail protection software:

www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/addon/defau...p

Overview
The Windows Rights Management Add-on for Internet Explorer provides a way for users of supported Windows operating systems to view, but not alter, files with restricted permission. These restrictions enable authors to prevent sensitive documents, Web-based information, and e-mail messages from being forwarded, edited, or copied by unauthorized individuals. These restrictions provide protection, not only while the information is in transit, but also after the recipient of the information has received it.

Protecting Documents - Baskerville
To protect yourself legally you should put copies of the documents in an envelope and mail it to yourself recorded delivery. Don't open the envelope. Then if you ever find the files have been copied (presumably by a competitor so there's a good chance you will find out) you will have proof that they originated with you. This has gone on in publishing for a long time.

You could also make sure that the person receiving the file is clear about their rights. Explain what they can and can't do with the document. Perhaps give them to right to use the document but not sell it. Take a look at www.creativecommons.org for various pre-written licenses.
Obviously this won't prevent deliberate exploitation, but it does give you some legal protection should unauthorized copying take place.

Finally, don't worry about small-scale copying. It's when your copy turns up on a successful company website that it becomes a problem. But then the more successful the company is the more likely it is that you will hear about it. Often it's better to make your stuff available, just so everyone knows it's yours.