Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - grandad
We have a pug 306 turbo diesel, 1995, K125 miles, which passed mot emission test last time by narrowest of margins with dire warnings that it might not pass next time! The time is approaching and I wonder if any of you experts can give legal advice on how to help it through the test, apart from the obvious engine oil/filter change. Also, the cambelt has done over 30,000 miles and needs changing. I dont want to tackle this job myself so what do you think would be a fair price to get it changed at an independent gagage? Grandad.
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - Sooty Tailpipes
Put 1 part rapeseed oil to 3 parts diesel in your tank, plus a litre or two of white spirit as sold in clear bottles (the whites ones often contain bits)

You will find the smoke under load is drastically reduced, maybe as the fuel is oxygenated.

All I know is, that with mix, I get no smoke when I kick down at night and look at the headlights behind, but with no vegoil or with too much, it does.
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - Altea Ego
Also italian tuneup will give it a spare margin. Take it out for a blast (when hot) running it up to near maximum in each gear to blow out the crud. YOu may wish to change the cambelt before you do this however, plus the MOT test will give it a fair old lashing too, (I always wince when i watch any diesels being MOT'd)
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - dieselhead
also drain the fuel filter and fill it with car plan nitrox or similar and then give it a run . If after a good run you still see alot of black smoke in your mirror under heavy acceleration it's likely the on-boost fuel control needs adjusting (this is mounted on the pump and connected to the intercooler by a rubber pipe on my 97 306DT)..slacken the locknut and screw the adjuster in half a turn at a time)
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - Andrew-T
Have the car tested at an ATS depot which does MoTs. If it fails emissions after taking all the precautions suggested above, they will likely have Forte conditioner (or some other) on the shelf to cure it then and there. You just take the car for another tune-up (6 or 8 vigorous miles) and they test it again. If it stll doesn't pass you have some other problem.
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - solara
Give it a good swig of Redex diesel treatment and give it a good run just before the test. Works for me every year, prior to which I was in a similar position to you.
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - grandad
Thank you gents for your welcome advice. I think I will use all of it and also the advice of 'Renault Family (P) regarding changing the cambelt before the MOT because of the thrashing they give the engine. Therefore , can anyone have a stab at the second part of my question about what would be a reasonable price to negotiate with an independent gagage to change the cambelt on this model. No way am I taking it to a pug dealer based on past experience. Grandad
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - Andrew-T
Belt - say £20. Labour, say 3hrs? (M.M.?) @ £40/hr if you are lucky. Maybe £150 all in? But maybe you should look at belt tensioners and other bits at the same time.
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - Hawesy1982
I couldn't find a quote lower than £250 for mine, in the Watford area. IIRC, DL(?) knows a garage in the west country who he claims will do a cambelt change on your car for £99
Pug 306 turbo diesel-advice on pollution - DL
Yep, £99inc VAT and a genuine belt.

Done in 2hrs
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link