Best Car Oil - Greg R
What is the best car oil. I always thought Castol gtx and mobil 1 is the best quality, but with evidence can anyone tell me what is the very best oil on the market for the average car/ motorcyle.

Best Car Oil - Clanger
You can't do better than look at HJ's FAQ for advice on motor oil. My 2 penn'orth is don't use car oil in a bike if it's got a wet clutch; the additives in modern motor oil may cause the bike clutch to slip or wear prematurely. I use Total 7000 semi-synth for my diesel cars and Motul semi-synth 3100 in the bike.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Best Car Oil - THe Growler
Speaking for the bikers:

1) follow the manual as regards grade and instructions first and foremost;
2) use Amsoil brand if you can get it;
3) if you have a wet clutch and ride hard use the right grade of a CH-4 diesel oil, like Shell Rotella.

Best Car Oil - J Bonington Jagworth
I don't think there is a single 'best oil', as all mainstream brands conform to similar standards for each given type of oil. HJ's advice about intervals is entirely sound and will extend the life of your engine a lot further than buying the most expensive oil you can find less frequently!
Best Car Oil - Greg R
Is it therefore true that I can use diesel oil in my scooter. The book doesn't suggest a grade, but says to use api sg and above. I use 10w40 and 15w40, fully sythetic.

Would diesel 10w40 fully sythetic mobil oil be suitable? I don't have a wet clutch, but a dry one?

Best Car Oil - Ben79
I use Total Quartz 9000 in the HDI powered Picasso and C5 in the family, the same oil is good for all new cars and has a VW rating 502.00 and 505.00 and is a BMW long life oil.

We previously used it in 1.4 litre 206 and Xsara, it improved the fuel economy by 2mpg.
Best Car Oil - Dalglish
greg r -

i go by my manufacturer's recommendations.

for example in my car manual, they say use any oil which meets acea a3 b3 spec in range sae0w-x and sae5w-x where x can be any suitable higher value.

they do not specify that it should be synthetic or semi-synth or dino oil (dino=fossil=mineral).

i use the cheapest brand that meets that spec.
currently halfords are doing 5 litres fully synthetic 5w40 for £15!

yes 5 litres fully synth for £15 !

in my opinion that is a bargain not to be missed. which is why i typed it twice.
Best Car Oil - AZ
SeeFive.
You may be interested in the following link.
www.findit.co.uk/cars/accessories/otherbits/104545...m
Best Car Oil - Dalglish
az -
your link for the total quartz 9000 fully synthetic shows it to be even cheaper than the halfords fully synth.

the spec seems identical to halfords.
Best Car Oil - Mike H
....and 5 litres of own-brand fully specced fully synth 5W40 is £10 in Leclerc in France - if you happen to be going there.